Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Twin Spinner Approved
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 06:57 AM UTC
Thanks chaps for the replies. I don't use power tools, I was trained as a toolmaker in my youth and always had to use hand tools. I still like the feeling you get when something comes out using only your bare hands and a small rat tail file! But then again I probably am an old dinosaur and should move into the 21st century..

Steve

Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 08:13 AM UTC
After a bit of a cock up using a dremel, it's hand tools only for resin for me now !!!
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 07:37 PM UTC
The main construction of the Chinook is now complete and ready for some masks and a base coat. There are some nice details around the engine intakes on this kit, the front antennas, and the sheer size of the kit is stunning.

More to follow.......

CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 05:05 PM UTC
Great work on all the builds so far for this campaign!. I'm finally back doing something on the He115. Funny how i built an Eduard Bf110 in two weeks and now this one has been on the bench for more than three (most of it idle time though). The airframe fit so well that i got a bit laid back about this one, only to find the fit of the clear parts was terrible. All clear parts needing to be super glued, filled and sanded to blend in. And it's still not absolutely perfect, but shall do.

Got the underside colour on today. Maybe looks a bit overdone with the shading, but i find that the process of gloss clearcoating and final flat coating tones all that down. So now i do it slightly overdone to begin with. Keeping the floats seperate to make the masking easier for the top camo work (RLM 70/71 splinter).

Andrew

magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 06:12 PM UTC
Andrew! Being Swedish means having a soft spot for the He-115, it was a very popular aircraft in Swedish service. Your'e doing a good job on it!

Jesper: What a beast... Where do you keep it when it is finished? I have never seen one live but I understand it is HUGE, and I thougt the Vertol was a big helicopter...

Ayhan: Killer work as usual!

Regards

Magnus (who hasn't started building yet...)
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 10:06 PM UTC
Hopefully the masks and flaps will arrive today, so I can join in the fun again with my do-17.
Carl that B-25 is ridiculously detailed, a fire-axe brilliant!

Looking forward to see the b-25s as they look similar to the flying cod (Bacalao).

Found some photos of the exact plane I'm modelling, on the web. This allowed me to attach
the exhausts as the kit instructions (such as they are, one page of A4) don't make sense in that regard.

Also from the photos it doesn't look like the 3 colour splinter indicated on the box. I've bought the paints though and the 3 colour does look more dramatic so I'll stick with it.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2008 - 01:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jesper: What a beast... Where do you keep it when it is finished? I have never seen one live but I understand it is HUGE, and I thougt the Vertol was a big helicopter...

Regards

Magnus (who hasn't started building yet...)

I have no idea where to keep it! It is huge, but I plan on minimising the size by having the rotors loose so they can be removed if I have to move it in and out of storage. Basecoat is on and painting will progress during the weekend.

Andrew, looks good with your He 115. Be careful with the super glue. I made this kit two years ago and destroyed it due to the superglue fumes that "frosted" the inside of the cockpit. I had to give it up in the end - a thing I very rarely do.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2008 - 11:05 AM UTC
JP)- That B-25 was for demonstration. I actually built it for the Thunder Campaign.

Jesper)- I have trouble comprehending how you build so many quality works. Now I also realize the downside...lack of space.

Andrew)- Looks good. I think the shsding is just where it should be.

I have been painting my entry all day. It is turning into a real long build because of my recent and continuing back problems. I haven't been taking pictures, but it looks good.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 02:03 AM UTC
Thanks for the comment, Carl. I am actually considering to donate some of my kits to the military museum in Riga. They have a collection of kits of quite low standard - some painted in one colour with just a few generic markings. In all modesty I think some of my kits could be displayed there - especially since many of my kits has a good and specific "story" behind. Fx. the Chinook from the Falklands war. Anyway, we will see what happens.

I have progressed with my Chinook after having decided to do the Falklands war version. I did not have enough courage to tackle the first gulf war version. I have tried preshading, but usually this is not visible by the time I finish. We will see if it is different this time around.....

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 05:49 AM UTC
Painting is progressing well. I used modelling clay rolled in long "sausages" to create the semi hard edges of the camouflage. It was the first time I used this method on a larger scale. I am very satisfied with the result that gives just the right effect for the British camouflage in my opinion.

Removing the modelling clay and the masking tape in between the clay gave some unfortunate battle damage to the antennas, front search light, and one of the wheels. All is fixable although I fear I will destroy the front antennas again

Now on for some detail painting and a gloss coat before the decals.

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 07:21 AM UTC
Damage during the painting process has now been fixed and the details painted. Also antenna rigging has been added to the side of the Chinook. Now a gloss coat and then decals.

Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
AeroScale: 278 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 09:47 AM UTC
Andrew: That HE115 is looking great. I remember saying some creative vocabulary when I was fitting the clear parts to mine. I can't wait to see it done.

Jesper: I undersand about the Gulf War Camo. You have done a super job with the British version. I would have snapped all of those antena off by now. If I ever get this S-199 done I might get somewhere with the P61
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 12:06 PM UTC
All right, here we go.

So I am now mission completed.

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 01:00 PM UTC
We have 39 enlisted in this campaign. Here are the current standings.

05Sultan, building a 1/32 Mossie.
AIRGUNNER, building a Classic Airframes Dornier Do 17z.
alpha_tango
atoplu, building a 1/48 Revell/Hasegawa Hs-129. Started.
backstop13
*betheyn, building a 1/48 Tamiya Bristol Beaufighter Mk VI. Finished. Check out his blog.
bf443
Bigskip, building a Beaufighter
Blackwulf, building a Me 410. Started.
butchm
*CaptainA, building an Eduard Me 110C Wespe. Finished.
CMOT70, building a 1/72 Revell He 115. Painting.
eerie
ejclide, building a A-20. Started.
Emeritus, building a 1:72 MPM Blenheim. Started.
gbyrnsie, building Accurate Miniatures 1/48 "Dirty Dora" B-25. Started and progressing well.
HeyLoad, building a Me 110.
Holdfast, building a Promodeller 1/48 Do 217E-5.
jaypee, building a 1:72 Do-17. Started.
JMartine
lampie, building a 1:72 Dragon P38 Droop Snoot.
Littorio
magnusf, building a 1/72 Smer boxing of an ancient Heller Breguet 693
Merlin
mj, building a 1/72 Fine Molds Q1W Tokai Lorna. Started.
Murdo,
oraora, building a 1/72 Airfix Handley Page Hampden
orcada
Percheron
Phantom2, building a Northrop N-9MA. Started.
Philippus
SGTJKJ, building a 1/48 Italeri Chinook. Almost complete.
Tigerbait
vanize, building a Dragon/Pro Modeler Ju-88E
Victor
wolfpack6, building a 1/32 Bf-110C
wombatq
Yeti123, building a Monogram P 61,
_H_Dori, building a Revell 1/48 Do 217 E5. Started.

* shows a completed mission.

HeyLoad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 64 posts
AeroScale: 33 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 01:39 PM UTC
Well done Carl! Great look on the camo. That was fast for such a detailed model. I have my '110C interior parts painted with their primary colors and working the detailing/drybushing now.

Tom
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 05:19 PM UTC
After looking at that list, I realized that I guess I never clarified what I was building!

It's the AMT/ERTL 1/48th A-20G Little Joe. I've got a little progress going, no pics though. Can anyone help me with reference photos of the bomb bay? I can't seem to find any and I don't want to close it. It'll give me a little more work to enjoy too!
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 05:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

vanize, building a Dragon/Pro Modeler Ju-88E

make that a Ju-188E
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 09:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Bigskip, building a Beaufighter

make that 3 Beaufighters - all started - have been posting in the other thread, and over on Bulldogs

Am aiming for all 3 to be finished in the next three weeks .

Andy
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 09:50 PM UTC
Wow! What a great Bf 110, Carl! It looks great. I feel tempted to add this kit to my stash, but I probably need a bigger apartment first

I expect to finish my Chinook over the next weekend.
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 01:50 AM UTC
Hi all,

Well, finally made a start on the Do17. Did lots of cleaning up of resin parts, bit of a challenge for me as I have never used resin before. Compared with the styrene in the kit, it seems a bit softer, so extra care required. Once all the parts were done I made a start on the cockpit area.

Its very well detailed, lots of resin in there. Once I got the hang of it the parts went together well, very little fiddling required. Once built, I painted it with Xtracrylic RLM02, then added a dark oil wash. This dosen't show up too well in the photo as the light seems to have washed it out a bit. Finally, I added Eduard pre painted photoetch Luftwaffe bomber seatbelts. Man were they fiddly! I have never used etch in this scale was it was fun once I got going.

I have also done the bomb bay, and given it a darker wash as most photos of operation bombers show it to be very grimy in there.

I have also got the wings and tail sections together, but they are quite boring so no photos yet.

Overall, first impression is this is a very nice kit, lots of detail, recessed panel lines and good fit og most parts. I say most, because I dry fitted the cockpit tub to the fuselage and there are a few gaps. Looks like a bit of filler may be requireed but I will do it in small stages so hopefully not much.

I have just see an interview on the news with a BoB vetern on the 90th anniversary of the RAF. I am going to stop for the day now as it dosen't seem to be appropriate to be building something from the Luftwaffe now. Funny that.

Comments welcome please..

Steve
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 01:39 PM UTC
Lots of masking for this one, sharp lines are needed for that early German splinter camo- so no freehanding or just using rolled bluetack unfortunately.

But it worked out ok once the masking is off. Gloss coating and decals next. And yes, like a few people have mentioned- i am very nervous about what i may find when i get that masking off the clear parts. I decided i had to use superglue on them because of the terrible fit and the amount of sanding and filling i'd be doing- neede something strong enough to hold. I coated the clear parts in floor polish and tried to use the glue sparingly- but still it could be ugly. Will find out in the next day or so!

Andrew

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 04:12 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments. It took about two weeks to do it up. It is a great kit. Surprisingly, it went together quickly for a complicated kit.I highly reccomend it to anybody wanting an intermediate build. I will be getting another one. Maybe a few.

I made the corrections pointed out.

Andrew. Good job. Same color scheme as mine. I mask the outer edges of the splinter scheme, then use paper to cover the rest of the areas to be protected. Paper is considerably cheaper than tape.

jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 10:13 PM UTC
Yeah looking good Andrew, nice sharp lines. I think I'll have to invest in an airbrush.
I've got the RLM63 done for my pre-war Do-17, next mask off for RLM62.
Good tip Carl, spoken like a true Scot.
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 06:08 AM UTC
Okay, here we go. I am somewhat happy with the result of my Lorna build. Sometimes, this is a very humbling hobby...okay, for me, it is always a humbling experience. I have also found I have no talent with regard to photography, so I ask your indulgence with the pics. This is a FineMolds kit, 1/72 scale. It was a very nice build. However, when applying the decals, using Mr. Mark Setter and Mr. Mark Softer, the decals shriveled up, but never smoothed back out. This happened the last time I used these solutions. I went back to my standard, Micro Set and Micro Sol, and they worked perfectly. Out went the Mr. stuff. No more experimenting for me. Here are a couple of pics of the Lorna:

It was great Campaigning with you all. I look forward to the next one.

Cheers,
Mike

Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 07:45 AM UTC
Looks great. It's refreshing to see a clean & shiny Japanese plane, they all tend to be heavily weathered. (Nothing wrong with that either, a real playground for builders to show off their weathering skills)

But what's the plane? Lorna, I don't remember seeing much of those before. Looks funny. At first glance, it reminds me of a Dornier 17, but it has a mid-wing, and the canopy looks like it's been swiped from a mosquito.