Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Twin Spinner Approved
_H_Dori
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
AeroScale: 276 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 03:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yep I'm looking forward to getting started, I pulled my Dornier out earlier in the week to check I had everything I wanted. Just sorting the masks out with Mal (when i can get my darned camera to work properly) I already have the canopy masks and the Verlinden update set so should be great fun.

H

What dornier are you going to be building? I got a 1:72 Do-17 with condor legion markings that I'm thinking of doing.

Nah mate I was going to do the Revell 1/48 Do217 E5 so your 17's safe

H
oraora
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kuching, Malaysia
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 128 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:24 PM UTC
Though i have a couple of twins in my stash, i guess i'll pick the "oldest" or rather eldest.. An old Airfix Handley Page Hampden 1/72, which has been sitting in my stash for about 10 years now..
wolfpack6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 179 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 01:54 PM UTC
Im going with the Bf-110c in 1/32
I like the big stuff
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 02:16 PM UTC
Hello all . I stumbled onto this thread at just the right time. A Fine Molds 1/72 Q1W Tokai Lorna just made it to the top of my stash, and I just took it out of the bags for its wash. I signed up...can't wait for Saturday to start the build. I will post pics of the box and sprues when I get home from work.

Cheers,
Mike
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 03:02 PM UTC
Well this is to be my entry in this campaign. Well the first one anyway...hopefully i will get more than one subject done for this, time allowing. I should be making a start on it sometime next week when i finish my Classic Airframes Bf109.

The kit is Revells re-boxing of the old Matchbox kit. I have a soft spot for Matchbox kits as they wer my childhood staple, and i always wanted this one but never recieved one from Santa. It displays all the Matchbox traditions:

1. No cockpit detail, which doesn't matter because you won't see anything through the scale 2ft thick glass anyway. I think i'll actually use the supplied crew figures for this one. The bomb aimer is actually quite well moulded.

2. It has the very traditional engraved trenches in places, plus overscale raised panel lines in others. Not sure what i'll do with the surface detail yet. Maybe fill the trenches and use pencil panel lines- i think it works ok in 1/72.

The Revell decals are fine and well printed. I'm thinking of doing the Swedish version, but not sure what green would be used?

Andrew
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Friday, February 29, 2008 - 08:43 AM UTC
Against all better judgment, a Breguet 693:

This is a Smer boxing of an ancient Heller kit in 1/72. It might be as old as the 1960s... Anyway, the plastic looks sound if a bit primitive and the detail and accuracy issues will be taken care of with a Hi Tech set that will supply a lot of bits and pieces.

I will start a separate blog for this build but will cross post into this thread whenever something of interest happens! I might not be able to start tomorrow since I have a stubborna Canberra to beat inte submission first but I thing this one should start rolling within a week!

I am looking forward to this!

Magnus
Removed by original poster on 02/29/08 - 22:21:01 (GMT).
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Friday, February 29, 2008 - 10:24 AM UTC
Here is my Twin Spinner, a Japanese Lorna, all washed and ready for some glue. 1/72 scale.

(SUCCESS !! - Man, having such a hard time getting this pic to appear just reminds me I have to do it more often...practice makes perfect.)

Mike

Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 01:49 AM UTC
Well, since everyone else is showing off the their entries-to-be, here's mine as well.

I've made a start on it too, mostly cutting parts off the sprues, cleaning them up and getting a quick idea how everything is supposed to fit together.

There's not so much flash to take care of, but the old-school style sprue containing smaller parts suffers from some mold mismatch, and of course, according to Murphy's laws, the parts most affected are the landing gears, which should be round even after cleaning... (fortunately, they're not that complicated, even making new ones from scratch doesn't look impossible)
More time will probably go to working with panel lines than flash, on many parts the recessed lines are either very delicate or partially filled with excess plastic (probably caused by worn moulds)

The focal point of the whole plane is the glasshouse canopy, and now I didn't take any chances on it when separating from the sprue.

I don't know if it's the clear part or the fuselage (or a bit of both), but there's somehing wrong with the fit here...

The shorter cockpit floor on mk.I is offered as a resin part, and in addition to the increased difficulty of attaching such a part, it was slightly warped. Comparing the original plastic part and the shorter resin one revealed that the latter is actually a modified copy of the longer mk.IV floor, so I'll be just cutting the styrene part to the proper lenght and using it.

If someone has references on the exhaust collector pipes on the mercury engine (missing from the kit), I'd be very interested.

Also, what do you think, should I start an own build thread for this entry of mine, or just post the WIP reports here in the official campaign thread?
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 04:09 AM UTC
Wow! Already there is some progress. A lot of interesting kits in this campaign after just having started it.

I will enter the Italeri Chinook in 1/48 "premium kit" with reference book etc. included. Some interesting camo schemes are included in the kit. The kit was originally bought for the Falklands war campaign but will now be used in this campaign instead.

More to follow.

Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
AeroScale: 278 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 11:48 AM UTC
Well things have started and the goodies for the kit arrived today. Good omen? There is going to be a lot of sanding. Here is the plane I am going for.

Good luck to all
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 02:47 PM UTC
alright, so I made a very small start to my A-20 today. I'm going to start a thread on this plane as well, but I'll post updates here. Here's where I stand after the 30 minutes I found to scrounge through the kit and decide where I wanted to start.

Just the rudder pedals. I'll get back to the table probably Monday and get some more done.
mrobeson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 109 posts
AeroScale: 107 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 04:58 PM UTC
Hey guys. When does this campaign end, because I would like to tackle the new tool Classic Airframes Blenheim IV for it.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 06:28 PM UTC
It just started, so go for it!

You have till june 30th to finish.

I was thinking about doing a CA Blenheim IV, but if you doing that one, I'll switch to one of my many other twin prop kits in my stash..
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 08:53 PM UTC
Taylor: I am really looking forward to seeing your P-61. I had one as a teenager but I never managed to finish it. The kit is (as I am sure you already know!) a mix of the excellent and the truly horrible.

:-H

Magnus
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 09:22 PM UTC
Have removed 3 Beaufighters from the stash today, will be making a positive start this afternoon.

Andy
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 12:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

[It is the calm before the storm I think. I'm eagerly looking forward to the start too. I'll be working on Accurate's 1/48 "Dirty Dora" B-25 . My wife, believe it or not, has been wanting me to build this one for awhile so now I'm doubly motivated .

GB

Super kit. But beware of the nose decals. You will probably need to do some color matching.

Yeti, I would do the Uhu. But it is your build. So do whatever you want. You can even do more than one. I am granting special permission.

I was waiting to see what else was being built before I announced my choice. So, here it is. Classic Airframes Do 17Z in Finnish Service. My desk is really full of other builds, but I hope to pop it open in about a week.

BTW 39 for 9 holes, in the rain. It looks like the links will again be competing for my time. I wonder if my 2IC is a good caddy.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 08:12 PM UTC
I assume this is the official tread? If so, it should be pinned, so it is easy to know where to post progress pictures. Currently there are two treads with this one actually being the oldest one about the campaign being approved

Here is some progress on my 1/48 Italeri Chinook. So far it is a good build that fits together very well although there are some annoying pin marks at the surface of the pedals in the cockpit. Also the wiring on the rear sides of the interior is pretty basic - especially compared to the pictures in Italeris own reference booklet.
The interior seats are difficult to align as they only have front legs. However, when the interior sides are fitted this should be a minor problem.
All in all a good start on what looks to be a quite nice kit. A cardboard poster is included that might find its way to the wall in my hobby room. The very cool choices of marking options are also a big plus. Despite some small annoying details in the interior it will look very good viewed from the rear through the access ramp.

More to follow

Blackwulf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 215 posts
AeroScale: 120 posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 - 05:59 AM UTC

Build this diorama with your Chinook Jesper!!! I think this is a real picture!! Looks cool no matter what!!
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 - 09:09 AM UTC
Jesper:

That is going to be a real beast when its done. The detail on the parts seems to be first rate. I can't wait to see it finished.
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 - 09:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Taylor: I am really looking forward to seeing your P-61. I had one as a teenager but I never managed to finish it. The kit is (as I am sure you already know!) a mix of the excellent and the truly horrible.

:-H

Magnus

Thanks Magnus. I have had this one almost since I was a teenager. I orderd extra filler and sand paper just in case the stories are true
atoplu
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 - 09:35 AM UTC
This is my campaign entry. Revell/Hasegawa Hs-129 in 1/48 scale. Some part pictures.

Decals are very thin ...

I guess build this profile.

Firstly build up cockpit parts. I sprayed RLM 66 cockpit parts.

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 01:04 PM UTC
Lets take a vote. How many people would like to see Jesper do that diorama?
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 02:23 PM UTC
mark one notch on the YES side!
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 08:09 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments, guys This will definently be a beast.

I have actually been looking for some British figures to make a small Falklands war diorama, but has not been succesful. 1/48 is not the best scale for figure sets.

The diorama is ambitious, but it can be done. I have not progressed any further than I can still build it as a US Chinook, but the camouflage seems a little dull with overall green. (Making excuses already ) Anybody has some ideas for figure sets in 1/48 in the Falklands War until today period?