Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Twin Spinner Approved
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 12:33 PM UTC
Thank you, Eetu. Yes, I wish I had the courage to "weather-up" one of my kits, but I've never done it, so I am hesitant. My only salvation is that at some point, these planes were factory fresh, so I limit my building to them. I am working up the nerve to try Pre-shading, though. I really like that effect.

As for the plane, you said exactly what my two modeling buddies said when I showed it to them - Dornier. It does have that shape to it. It is a coastal defense, sub-hunter. I'd never seen one either, until I stumbled across it on e-Bay. It is a Fine Molds 1/72 Kit #FP15, a Kyusyu Q1W1 LORNA. The kit went together very nice. If you have a chance to pick one up, I highly recommend it.

Cheers,
Mike
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 01:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

spoken like a true Scot.

Actually, my great-grandmother was from Glasgow. She was a Gibson, her mother a Girdwood. I guess I come by my Scottish behavior genetically. I don't know how a fine red headed Gibson could end up marrying a von Seebach. But I guess anthing was possible in the 1890s.

Good Job MJ. On my next Frag Order, I will count you finished. I think it is great to put effort into a clean build. Dont rush into weathering faster than you feel comfortable. Maybe just start out accentuating panel lines with oils, and work up from there. Since I starting visiting this site, I have changed how I do just about everything. I am still learning, by experimenting with what the skilled people say to do. We have a lot of those people in this campaign. Dont be afraid to experiment.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 08:09 PM UTC
Andrew, nice job on the camouflage on the HE 115. It has a nice weathered and painted look. The effect I would expect to see on aircraft spending their life close to or on the sea.

Mike, Very nice Lorna. Like Eetu, it is also a completely new plane to me. Very nice entry into the campaign.

Below are a few updates on my Chinook. The decals are now applied. Next is the wash, which is still a challenge for me I will do my best and keep you updated.

atoplu
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 08:55 AM UTC
Hi all,
Model almost done.

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2008 - 09:49 PM UTC
Now I finished my Italeri 1/48 Chinook. I finished it in the Falklands War camouflage and markings.

A good kit although the instructions are a little inconsistent - especially regarding interior colours. The instructions indicate one colour for seats, harness, side walls etc. While the reference booklet included in the kit clearly show other colours in the colour reference photos.

I tried some new techniques on this kit. To be more precise the techniques are new to me, but not to everybody else. The masking with putty technique to get semi blurred edges on the camouflage. The "oil wash and wipe" technique used to weather aircraft. The results of both were satisfactory to me and I am overall happy with the result.

As promised in previous posts I went outside in downtown Riga in daylight to get better photos. This beast definently made some people stop and look. I think some of them were wondering if it would suddenly takeof and fly away

I have managed to find a place for the Chinook at the top of a shelve system, but it should be placed lower to allow seeing all the details. I guess I need a bigger apartment.

I noted that there was only one other finished entry in the gallery for this campaign. I know that at least Mike finished a build as well. Remember to upload at least one picture in the gallery to receive the ribbon at the end of the campaign.

It was a joy to participate in this campaign and I am looking forward to follow all the other builds in this campaign.

HeyLoad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 64 posts
AeroScale: 33 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 04:38 AM UTC
One quick photo of Eduard 1/48 BF 110C before I button up the interior. Very enjoyable kit so far with the exception of the engine nacelles previously noted.

Tom
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 05:07 AM UTC
Beautiful Chinook, Jesper. Looks to me that you got those "new" techniques down perfectly. Thanks for the reminder about uploading a pic to the Campaign gallary...almost forgot.

Cheers,
Mike

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 05:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Beautiful Chinook, Jesper. Looks to me that you got those "new" techniques down perfectly.
Cheers,
Mike

Thanks for the comment, Mike. I am also quite satisfied. I was helped by the square panels and deep engravings on the Chinook for the wash. Hope I can keep improving the techniques model by model. As I am mostly an AFV modeller these techniques needs some improvement from my side, but I am getting there slowly.
Removed by original poster on 04/06/08 - 07:21:12 (GMT).
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 09:22 AM UTC
Hi all!

@Jesper;

That Chinook looks awsome!
What a big beast that chopper is, and you have done It justice!

Good Job Mate!

My Twin are coming together, all masked up for paint.

This was my very first attempt on a vac-formed canopy!
I only got one chance, and I was scared to H. to make a mess out of it!
I did NOT like it at all!
But I got an acceptable canopy, with a lot of work.
Hardest and trickiest moment of this build, Phew....

Now It´s off to the paint-shop ( that´s up and running again)!

Cheers!

Stefan E

bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 03:22 PM UTC
Jesper,

Well done! I am delighted you were able to complete the Chinook. I am amazed at the size comparison with your F-14 in the display cabinet. That bird is GIGANTIC

Sincerely,
Brian
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 12:37 PM UTC
Great Job Jesper.

Curent Frag Order.

05Sultan, building a 1/32 Mossie.
AIRGUNNER, building a Classic Airframes Dornier Do 17z. Started.
alpha_tango
atoplu, building a 1/48 Revell/Hasegawa Hs-129. Almost Finished.
backstop13
*betheyn, building a 1/48 Tamiya Bristol Beaufighter Mk VI. Finished. Check out his blog.
bf443
Bigskip, building 3 Beaufighters. What is Samantha up to?
Blackwulf, building a Me 410. Started.
butchm
*CaptainA, building an Eduard Me 110C Wespe. Finished.
CMOT70, building a 1/72 Revell He 115. Painting.
eerie
ejclide, 1/48th AMT/ERTL A-20G Little Joe. Started.
Emeritus, building a 1:72 MPM Blenheim. Started.
gbyrnsie, building Accurate Miniatures 1/48 "Dirty Dora" B-25. Started and progressing well.
HeyLoad, building a Me 110.
Holdfast, building a Promodeller 1/48 Do 217E-5. Check out his blog.
jaypee, building a 1:72 Do-17. Started. Check out his blog.
JMartine
lampie, building a 1:72 Dragon P38 Droop Snoot. Check out his blog.
Littorio
magnusf, building a 1/72 Smer boxing of an ancient Heller Breguet 693
Merlin
*mj, building a 1/72 Fine Molds Q1W Tokai Lorna. Finished.
Murdo,
oraora, building a 1/72 Airfix Handley Page Hampden
orcada
Percheron
Phantom2, building a Northrop N-9MA. Started.
Philippus
*SGTJKJ, building a 1/48 Italeri Chinook. Finished.
Tigerbait
vanize, building a Dragon/Pro Modeler Ju-188E
Victor
wolfpack6, building a 1/32 Bf-110C
wombatq
Yeti123, building a Monogram P 61,
_H_Dori, building a Revell 1/48 Do 217 E5. Started.

* shows a completed mission.
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
AeroScale: 278 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 03:30 PM UTC
Jesper:
That Chinook is absolutely stunning. I have a soft place in my heart for those egg beaters and you have definitely done it justice.

Ahyan:
You HS129 is looking excellent. the weathering looks really good. I am looking forward to seeing it finished
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 06:44 PM UTC
Great entries so far, especially impressed with that huge Chinook- which is something as i'm not a huge helicopter fan!

Finally did the finishing stages of the He115. It's a kit that is let down by it's clear parts, otherwise it would be quite acceptable. Luckily i didn't get any fogging from using superglue on the clear bits. But they are still very thick with way over done raised fram lines to the clear parts. I did what i could with them...but if i was serious about doing one of these well i'd consider sanding all the clear parts down, polishing smooth and making new frames with tape or decal or something. But all of that work was not on my agenda for this build!

So here it is:

Andrew

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 09:08 PM UTC
Excellent job on the HE 115, Andrew. I know what you mean about the cockpit. I made this kit a year ago and also had problems with the clear parts. Unfortunently I was not as skilled as you, so my parts fogged up due to superglue.

Stefan, Carl, Brian, Taylor, Andrew: Thanks for all the comments on my Chinook. I appreciate it I am still considering if I can find a better place for it. Maybe hanging from the ceiling over the dining table - Yeah, sure, the girlfriend will allow that
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 10:03 AM UTC
I've been posting in the other thread, but as this is the sticky one i'll post here from now on.

I'm building three beaufighter for this campaign, i've started Decaling the USAF and Dominican Ones. RAAF has had yellow underside finished and is due for black stripes.

Andy
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 10:28 AM UTC
Andrew)- That is fantastic. I think the weathering is perfect. Used but not beat down to bare metal. You really got that one right.

Andy)- You really do nice work.
atoplu
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 08:48 PM UTC
Hi all again.
I am finished model.

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 - 04:18 AM UTC
Ayhan)- Looks great as usual. I will note you as finished in the next Frag Order.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 - 04:29 AM UTC
Twin Spinner Campaign
We have 41 enlisted in this campaign. Here are the current standings.

05Sultan, building a 1/32 Mossie.
AIRGUNNER, building a Classic Airframes Dornier Do 17z. Started.
alpha_tango
*atoplu, building a 1/48 Revell/Hasegawa Hs-129. Finished.
backstop13
*betheyn, building a 1/48 Tamiya Bristol Beaufighter Mk VI. Finished. Check out his blog.
bf443
Bigskip, building 3 Beaufighters
Blackwulf, building a Me 410. Started.
butchm
*CaptainA, building an Eduard Me 110C Wespe. Finished.
CMOT70, building a 1/72 Revell He 115. Painting.
eerie
ejclide, 1/48th AMT/ERTL A-20G Little Joe. Started.
Emeritus, building a 1:72 MPM Blenheim. Started.
gbyrnsie, building Accurate Miniatures 1/48 "Dirty Dora" B-25. Started and progressing well.
HeyLoad, building a Me 110.
Hinchman
Holdfast, building a Promodeller 1/48 Do 217E-5. Check out his blog.
jaypee, building a 1:72 Do-17. Started. Check out his blog.
JMartine
lampie, building a 1:72 Dragon P38 Droop Snoot. Check out his blog.
Littorio
magnusf, building a 1/72 Smer boxing of an ancient Heller Breguet 693
Merlin
*mj, building a 1/72 Fine Molds Q1W Tokai Lorna. Finished.
Murdo,
oraora, building a 1/72 Airfix Handley Page Hampden
orcada
Percheron
Phantom2, building a Northrop N-9MA. Started.
Philippus
*SGTJKJ, building a 1/48 Italeri Chinook. Finished.
tculotta
Tigerbait
Victor
wolfpack6, building a 1/32 Bf-110C
wombatq
Yeti123, building a Monogram P 61,
_H_Dori, building a Revell 1/48 Do 217 E5. Started.

* shows a completed mission.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 - 10:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Twin Spinner Campaign

Given my schedule of things to do in life before June 30th, I think I am going to have to scale back my entry.

Even though I'd really like to get the 188 started and done, I will have to go with my Tamiya 1/48 Mitsubishi Ki46-III (Dinah) recon plane instead.

Hopefully that will be a significantly more streamlined build and enable me to finish the mission in good order.
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 - 02:20 PM UTC
Tiny update. Between this build, my Aces high build, and attempting to study I haven't gotten too much done. This is a slow week, so some work will get done!

jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 11:27 AM UTC
Finished.
I'll take some nice outdoor photos for the gallery but till then here is a snap of "intavia" on my kitchen table/workshop.

Do-17 Finished

There are a few more on my build log. Looking forward to seeing more twin spinners coming together.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 11:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Even though I'd really like to get the 188 started and done, I will have to go with my Tamiya 1/48 Mitsubishi Ki46-III (Dinah) recon plane instead.

Hopefully that will be a significantly more streamlined build and enable me to finish the mission in good order.

Not a problem. I will have you changed over on the next Frag.

Eric)- That is really looking good. In my opinion, it is one of the cooler twin spinners to come out of WWII.
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 06:03 PM UTC
Here's a link to my build if you would like to see more, but this is where I stand as of this weekend. Don't know how much work I'll get done this week being it's a busy week as school. Then May Daze is coming soon, so who knows!