Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Twin Spinner Approved
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2008 - 08:37 AM UTC
Im in too.
My build will be the Dragon 1:72 P38 Droop Snoot, although I might just build it as a standard P-38J.
I hope to make a start on it at the weekend.
Nige
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
AeroScale: 278 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2008 - 08:55 AM UTC
Gary:
The B25 is looking great. What color are you uing for the cockpit area?

Jesper:
The Chinock is looking awesome. Did you decide on the diorama question?
HeyLoad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 64 posts
AeroScale: 33 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2008 - 11:58 AM UTC
I started work at the wings instead of the cockpit. I had read online and in print that the nacelles did not fit well. This was certainly the case on my kit. I wanted to tackle this problem first. Hard to see in the photos, but some filler and lots of sanding later, I'm pretty close to finished.

Tom

ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2008 - 12:21 PM UTC
Nige: YAY. I am happy to see you making a build for this campaign. As usual, I can't wait to see it!

Taylor: I'm still waiting to see pics of that black widow!

Exams are OVER, so the rest of this week should see some progress on my A-20! I can't believe there are already completed builds!
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2008 - 02:11 PM UTC
Eric:

I need to post some photos. I am still messing with the photo etch, and I am trying to finish the S-199. Congrats on finishing your exams
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2008 - 06:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jesper:
The Chinock is looking awesome. Did you decide on the diorama question?

Thanks for the comments. No, I have not decided on a diorama yet. I have decided to make the Falklands war version, so if I make a diorama it should be connected with this war. Surpricingly I have not managed to find that many pictures of the Chinook in the Falklands war. However, the search goes on.

The build is progressing very well - it is going to be a big beast. I am going to leave the rotors unglued otherwise it will be impossible to transport this thing. Notice the size of the rotors compared to a 1/48 Yak WWII fighter. More to follow...

_H_Dori
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
AeroScale: 276 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 01:29 AM UTC
Well I've made a start on my Dornier for this campaign:

I also got hold of the Velinden update set for this kit which I hope to use to drop the flaps and have an engine cover open. I'm also going to use the resin parts provided, but this will be my first use of resin ever so I hope it goes ok.

I started on the cockpit by spraying it with Vallejo modelair 055 which is a step away from my usual WEM paints. After that I dry brushed it all with a lighter grey, painted the seatbacks and harnesses and gave it all an ink wash with Klear floor polish. After that had dried I sprayed Vallejo modelair matt varnish over it all to bring the shine off. I'm pretty pleased with the results so far.

I'm not the fastest builder but I hope to have the cockpit completed by the end of this week and the fuselage ready to go together.

Hope you like my progress so far.

H
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 06:24 AM UTC
Hi Howard,

Nice start on the Dornier, I have just signed up for this campaign, I am going to build Classic Airframes Dornier Do 17z so I will follow your build carefully!!

I plan to do it in the scheme of HK+BA Stab/KG 3 from Summer 1940 to finally complete my Battle of Britian collection.

Steve
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 10:00 AM UTC
A flight of three Do-x17 s, all different variants is going to be interesting. I've stalled waiting on flaps and masks. But I've not been idle, apart from cleaning up the seams, first time I've done this in an organised way and I have to say it has made a tremendous different to model, and my confidence. I've also been practicing weathering on a Stuka I've have half finished for ages. I'm happy with a sludge wash for the panel lines. I'll experiment with pre-shading some panels on the dornier when I get to that. I'm brush painting but I don't see why it shouldn't work. I'll not make it too pronounced. Wish those parts would hurry up. I may have to start something else in the meantime. I've got itchy fingers. Looking forward to some pictures of the other Dorniers.
What a great campaign subject. Two spinners are better than one.
Oh one question, I've fogged the inside of the canopy by using cement, is there a way to get rid of this? Or should I just not use cement on clear parts?
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 10:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was waiting to see what else was being built before I announced my choice. So, here it is. Classic Airframes Do 17Z in Finnish Service.

Well I popped this kit open and got a start on it. The decals were badly damaged, the resin disentigrated while I was removing casting blocks, and the knockout pin marks in a few areas are better described as large monuments. Since I have just recently gotten my BP under control, I packed it up in the box and decided to give it to grandkids to practice on. In its place I am building my second choice. The wonderful Eduard Me 110 E. I have just joined the fuselage, and it is going together great Lots and lots of tiny pieces. The interior tub has taken two days of extensive building. I am following the instructions very closely. So tomorrow, I will be assembling the rear gunners weapons assembly, then on to the wings. I plan on doing the Wasp decals. This is a great kit so far.
05Sultan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
AeroScale: 258 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 01:18 PM UTC
Well I should have my 1/32 Mossie NF decals within a day or so.Then I can start on my Modelcraft Mossie with a hacked Horzons gun nose parts,radar parts from my Beaufighter kit, a full magazine of saw blades and #11's, a tub of taper's mud, and about one ton of desire...................................I think I can make it.
Hey! Can't let all those Bf-110's,Henkels,and Dorniers clutter up my night sky now do ya?
Cheers!
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 07:58 PM UTC
So many great builds oin this tread. I am really looking forward to following the builds of all the Dorniers and the Me 110.

In the meantime I have made a little more progress on my Chinook. The basic fuselage is now complete although I still need to sand some ugly seem lines on the underside of the fuselage.
I have decided to close up the whole fuselage. I did not really like how it looked open and the interior mostly looked like a black pit as the windows are covered by the seats in the cargo compartment.
The screens for the engines were a bit fiddily to sort out but the end result is pretty good. I think Italeri has found a good solution for this distinctive part of the kit.

I still cannot decide on a camouflage scheme. I was going for the Falklands war scheme, but then I found some schemes from the first Gulf war, Kosovo, and some current schemes from Afghanistan. Parking it next to a Danish Leopard II tank in desert camouflage in Afghanistan could look awesome! Hobby boss makes the Leopard tank in 1/35, but I do not know if it is part of their 1/48 range. Or maybe next to a British Challenger in Kosovo....
On the other hand the camouflage from the first Gulf war ie. Sabre/Desert Storm is also very unique and could look fantastic. Argh! All the choices, choices, choices.... What do you guys think?

Special forces camouflage from first Gulf War

Chinook in action in Afghanistan

Chinook in Kosovo
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 11:52 AM UTC
Jesper:
Sorry to hear that the interior could not be seen after all of that work. I have spent my share of time in the back of those things and you definitely did it justice. That SOF Gulf War Camo would be incredible. Im not sure how I would tackle it, but it would really stand out.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 05:29 AM UTC
You all have taken this campaign to incredible heights. The builds are progressing and rival any previous campaign. As for me. Unfortunately, I have again thrown my back out. It is impossible for me to sit at my work bench, so I haven't done anything for a few days. I might be back in the chair tomorrow. It is such a wonderful kit, I am really anxious to get back to it.
Removed by original poster on 03/22/08 - 22:58:30 (GMT).
Victor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Louth, Ireland
KitMaker: 32 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 11:03 AM UTC
Hi All,

I thought I would add my Progress on my Revell 1/48 B-25J. Apologies in advance for the quality of the Photo's (New Camera Required).

I hope they post ok as this is the first time I have attempted picture posting.

The interior and cockpit are nearly complete and ready to be nailed together and the wings added. So far it's gone pretty well.

Any comments let me know.

Victor.

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 06:43 AM UTC
It is looking good Victor. The inside looks a little monochromatic though. When I did mine, I did the bomb bay in aluminum, crew areas in a green and other areas in zinc chromate. Mine was not a "J" model though, so I am not sure about specific colors. It probably doesn't matter since it will all be hidden.

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 07:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jesper:
Sorry to hear that the interior could not be seen after all of that work. I have spent my share of time in the back of those things and you definitely did it justice. That SOF Gulf War Camo would be incredible. Im not sure how I would tackle it, but it would really stand out.

Thanks, Taylor. Appreciate it.

I am also tempted by the SOF camo, but it would be difficult to recreate. As I see it there are three colours brushed on. Black, green and medium brown. But I am not sure, maybe it is only 2 colours: medium brown and green or black. Does anybody have any tricks they can do in photo programs to see if there are 2 or 3 colours brushed on? I know somebody has done something like that with filters(?), but I have no idea how.
Victor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Louth, Ireland
KitMaker: 32 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2008 - 08:29 AM UTC
Thanks CaptainA, Next to yours mine looks very bland, I'm going to paint the bomb bay metallic grey i think, once it is built, as the instructions don't call for it, but the references i can find on the web are all metallic. I'm also going to dirty it up with a wash, but not too much else as you say very little will be seen on completion.

I hope to post some more pictures once construction progresses.

Thanks,

Victor.
atoplu
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2008 - 09:45 AM UTC
Hi all,
I am sprayed RLM 65-70-71 to model.

AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 02:22 AM UTC
Hi all,

Just made a start on my Do-17, getting most major assemblies together. I want to sart on the interior today but most of it is resin. I have never used resin parts before and I noticed when cleaning up the smaller parts that there was lots of dust created when filing. Is this hazardous and should I use a mask when cutting/filing? I only ask because the larger parts (engines etc) need considerable more work on them and I don't want to go contaminating myself!!

Pics to follow...

Regards

Steve
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 03:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,

Just made a start on my Do-17, getting most major assemblies together. I want to sart on the interior today but most of it is resin. I have never used resin parts before and I noticed when cleaning up the smaller parts that there was lots of dust created when filing. Is this hazardous and should I use a mask when cutting/filing? I only ask because the larger parts (engines etc) need considerable more work on them and I don't want to go contaminating myself!!

Pics to follow...

Regards

Steve

Hey Steve,
I wouldn't worry too much about the resin dust. some people will tell you to wear a mask, but I think if your place is ventilated or you have a fan or something to keep the dust away from your face, you should be fine. I usually just don't even worry about it, but then again, maybe I've already lost the brain cells to know any better!

Can't wait to see pics of the 17
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 05:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Resin dust is (as I understand it) one of those long term exposure health issues. It won't hurt you immediately (unles you get a large snoot full), but best to keep the resin dust away from your face so you don't breath much of it, and clean up the dust after (or work somewhere outside - I grind/file resin on my back deck) so it doesn't accumulate in your house.

I do wear a dust mask when grinding it with a dremel tool since so much gets thrown around, but when using a file I don't get concerned about it getting kicked into my face (just don't breath in right after you blow the dust away!).

No need to be paranoid and over reactionary about it, but keep in mind it is not the healthiest thing to have around in dust form.

I'm also looking forward to your Do-17
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 05:48 AM UTC
^^ From what I've read, hardened resin is non-toxic in itself, but it's the dust that could cause harm. When sanded, it forms very fine dust that can end up in your lungs.
I think the hazard is more present when using power tools, with dust going airborne etc. Regular sanding by hand usually don't make dust fly much, although I tend to larger sanding with wet sandpaper to be sure. Normal carving and cutting with a knife should be perfectly safe as there's no dust involded.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 11:08 AM UTC
If you are creating resin dust, you really should wear a mask. It doesn't male sense to take risks with your health.