_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Official "Aces High" Campaign Thread
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 03:06 AM UTC
Time to start thinking about your Aces High Campaign builds everyone.

One month to go and we can start building, but that doesnt mean you cant use this month to do some research into your builds and get those decal sheets and AM goodies ordered. If your going down that road of course, OOB builds are just as welcome.
So far there are 36 members enlisted, and of course there is always room for more. Enlistment is open until the end of the campaign on November 30th, but by that date we are entering into the area of Andy Brazier style speed builds!
Rules, Regs, and the all important "Enlist" button can be found
HERE
Nige
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 06:41 AM UTC
So what´'s everyone going to build?

I got several candidates for my entry and I haven't quite decided what I'm going to start with. What model would you like to see built?
1:48
-Bf-109 G6
-Morane saulnier MS.406
-Buffalo Brewster B-239
-Fiat G.50
-Fokker D.XXI (mercury)

1:72
-Fokker D.XXI (wasp) (not sure about this one though, as the version with the illustrated wheel spats is tempting and wasn't an ace's mount)
-Bf-109 G6
-Curtiss Hawk 75

Looking forward for a "FUMS 2008".

CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:35 AM UTC
Already decided on my subjects and have the photos and kit. I'll be doing Eduards Fokker DVII Dual Combo kit- building both side by side. One will be the early Fokker built aircraft of Oblt Bruno Loerzer, the other the Fokker DVIIF of Oblt Karl Bolle.

So lots of stripes to paint! One in black and white and the other black white and yellow.

Andrew
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 08:24 PM UTC
I am planning on doing at least two birds for this campaign.
A Bf 109 E flown by Helmut Wick and a Bf 109 F flown by Werner Molders. Both are the 1/48 Hasegawa kits.

I choose the Helmut Wick aircraft as I want to try the "dabbled" camouflage added to the sides of the 109. I also want to spend this opportunity of this campaign to check the history of these aces. I have read that Wick was truly an aces, but at the same time grossly inflated the number of kills making up entirely false stories and kills. I do not know if this is true, but I will research it during this month leading up to the campaign.

I wanted to do Werner Molders aircraft because of the cool camouflage and markings and because the "Friedrich" was the best and most agressive looking of the 109s. More to follow as I continue my research.

I might also enter a FW 190 or a third Bf 109 if time permits.

LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 - 05:16 AM UTC
Wow. Seems like people have too many choices, and tend to choose them all

I'm a slow builder though, so I'll have to stick to one. But which?

Hasegawa 1:48 Bf 109 E as Wicks "Horrido"?
Hasegawa 1:48 Bf 109 F as Marseilles no. 14?
Hasegawa 1:48 Bf 109 K is also in my pipeline, but it seems like no one bothered about kill marks so late in the war, so I guess that´s ruled out.

However! I read about Lilya Litvyak the other day. A girl smaller than me (I'm 5'5"), 13 victory ace at 23, pretty as a day (and not only by russian measures), shot down and killed during the war but not found again until the seventies. Conclusion - I just have to build her Yak, and in an Ace campaign would be the best spot!

Problem is though, that she might have painted small lillys on her engine cowling, one for each victory, or perhaps inside the cockpit wall, but that seems to be hard to confirm. I cant find any pics

Does anybody know more? Does anybody have pics or links? Or is it a lost cause
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 - 05:35 AM UTC
Given my previous efforts at meeting deadlines i've got a banker for this campaign.

Butch O'Hare's Wildcat - in 1:144 scale, but i am tempted to try a three 'plane approaoch and build this in 1:72 and 1:48 scales as well, but if it all gets too much it'll just be 144 scale.

Andy
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 - 05:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

However! I read about Lilya Litvyak the other day. A girl smaller than me (I'm 5'5"), 13 victory ace at 23, pretty as a day (and not only by russian measures), shot down and killed during the war but not found again until the seventies. Conclusion - I just have to build her Yak, and in an Ace campaign would be the best spot!

Problem is though, that she might have painted small lilys on her engine cowling, one for each victory, or perhaps inside the cockpit wall, but that seems to be hard to confirm. I cant find any pics

Does anybody know more? Does anybody have pics or links? Or is it a lost cause

I thought about doing one of Lilya's (full name: Lidiya Vladimirovna Litviak, Litvak, Litvyak, or Litvjak) planes as well (but probably won't for this campaign). Accurate Miniatures did her Yak-1, "yellow 44" once upon a time. Her Yak-1b, "white 23", what what I was thinking of doing.

Don't know about lilies painted in the cockpit, but I was under the impression that her planes were devoid of exterior kill marks.

here is a quote about her individual markings and what not:

Quoted Text

On each side of her YaK-1's cockpit she painted a white lily, often confused for a rose—hence the nickname {white rose of Leningrad}. She was so fond of flowers, that she often picked wildflowers and carried them aloft on her missions. According to her mechanic, Inna Pasportnikova, she had a postcard with yellow roses in her instrument panel. The white rose on the fuselage became famous among the Germans, who knew better than to try to dogfight the familiar YaK-1, and usually tried to make good their escape before Litvyak got too close.

I have never been able to make out that white lily in any picture I have seen of any of her aircraft though.

I suspect that bit about Germans not engaging in a dogfight with an aircraft with a white lily is just so much legend though - as if you can identify a small white lily painted under a cockpit from engagement range and position... really, come on. The statement that as many as 9 Me-109s ganged up and concentrated their fire on the aircraft marked "white 23" when she was shot down and killed is more believable.

I have my doubts as to whether or not those under-cockpit lilies actually existed (some sources say it was on the cowl), or if they did, if they were on more than a single one of the several aircraft she flew. Like I said, I have not seen a single bit of photographic evidence for them, not a single profile of any of her aircraft I have ever seen show such markings (which means they were not evident in the reference photos the artist worked from either, as they look hard for such interesting things to include on a graphic profile), and WWII contemporary propaganda biographies and the long after the fact remembrances of old comrades are hardly reliable sources.

Quoted Text

Her remains were found at last in 1979, buried under her fallen YaK-1's wing, near the village of Dmitriyevka. Ten years later her body was recovered for an official burial; and in May 5, 1990 she was posthumously conferred the title of Hero of the Soviet Union by then Premier Mikhail Gorbachov.

As an aside, some Russian researchers have apparently questioned her ace status, saying that she only can be credited with 4 personal kills and 3 shared.

but as that old Klingon saying goes (something like); "Do you believe in the man or the legend? If you do not believe the legend, then he was only a man and it does not matter what he did." (substitute "woman" for "man" in this case, obviously).
Removed by original poster on 03/03/08 - 17:43:20 (GMT).
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 - 12:29 PM UTC
Well, I'm gonna join Andy and do some work in the Pacific!

I've got a few builds lined up, but my first will be:

Ken Walsh's F4U-4. I have to ask though if this is alright. If my research is correct, Ken Walsh only scored one kill in this specific aircraft. His other kills were all in his Birdcage Corsair.

I guess I'll just make a deal with you. I'll build BOTH!!! there i just made up my mind. Ken Walsh's F4U-1 with 5 kill markings and his F4U-4 with 21 kill markings. I'll be busy.....
gcn123
KitMaker: 69 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 01:20 AM UTC
I plan on doing a Hurricane Mk1 of 242 Squadron flown by Willie Mcknight.

From the photos I've seen there are no kill markings but I hope that this plane fits in with the rules, certainly before I spend a wad of cash on bits n pieces
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 01:35 AM UTC
Great selection so far everyone and its good to see that the campaign is encouraging some detailed research
Gary. Your Wille McKnight Hurricane falls into the category of an ace who didnt display kill markings and therefore is eligible for the campaign.
Nige
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 01:54 AM UTC
So then it's decided. No victory marks = No Lilly Yak! I didn't have that in my stash anyway.

Looking at Wicks 109 E makes me feel scared with the itsy-bitsy brush mottling, so that one has moved down in my list of 109's until I've figured out how to pull it off.

So I'm off to africa then, to make Marseilles 109 F, which frankly doesn't end the desicion making at all High demarcation line or low, red or white rudder, whitewalls or not, black edge on the "14" or just yellow. I frankly have to get me a book on 109's one of these days.

Back to the quest for references then

Later Dudes.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 07:14 PM UTC
Hi Tony

Glad you did not do Wick's Bf 109 plane as I am planning on doing that I will let you know how the brush mottling turns out.

I have quite a lot of profiles and pictures of Marseilles mount. I can share them next week. There should be plenty of details of how to do your aircraft camouflage and markings. However, as I recall on the top of my head Marseille wore down the engines very quickly in his planes so he used several different aircraft.
I will check up on it and let you know. (remind me next week if I forget )
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 07:48 PM UTC
Great Jesper. Frankly it also felt a little too competitive for me, building the same aircraft as someone else in a campaign. But I will follow your E closely, since I eventually will build it myself.

As far as I can tell without an enclyclopedia over the subject, Marseille did fly a lot of different airframes. The standard Hasegawa decal sheet allows for three different types of "14" in itself.

I think I'll aim for a red rudder, because a little colour is allways a nice touch among the shades of cammo but whatever info you can share, I'm happy to use. Overpainted old markings is meget sjovt also, so you never know
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 02:05 AM UTC
Hi Tony

It is probably some of these birds that are on you decal sheet.

PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 02:11 AM UTC
Hi Nige,

I hope to build the legendary Shahak 59 for this campaign - preferably in the polished aluminium version of July '70 with ten kill marks (just before it was painted in camouflage colors).

I hope this entry will fit under the rules. The Israeli aircraft were flown by several pilots and it was the aircraft that carried the kill marks. The 59 (which accomplished 13 kills in all) was flown by several aces of the No 101 sqn. Among them were Baharav Israel, who scored 2 kills in July 1970 against Egyptian Mig-21's. By that time, he was already an ace (having downed five other EAF Mig-21's during 1969 and 1970 - Source = Ospey Aircraft of the aces 59). I think that this would make the Shahak 59 qualify for the campaign, but I would like to make sure.

Cheers! // PolarBear
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 02:37 AM UTC
Jesper: Thanks for those pics. Now when I've seen a possibility to combine a red rudder with a yellow oil cooler cover i'ts done. That's my choice!

It's interesting though that the colour pic on top shows tan colour on the upper fuselage, yellow "14" and slightly blue on the bottom, but no colour in the gasoline marking triangle.

But then again, you can only get SO close to real, and then you have to draw a line. Mine is drawn there. Yellow triangle!
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 02:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So then it's decided. No victory marks = No Lilly Yak! I didn't have that in my stash anyway.

Actually, my understanding of the rules is that you can model an a/c of a known ace who did not display victory markings, as long as it is known to be their machine.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Actually, my understanding of the rules is that you can model an a/c of a known ace who did not display victory markings, as long as it is known to be their machine.

Thats quite correct Vance.
The Yak would qualify, in the same way as the Willie McKnight Hurricane does.

Bjorn.
Im sure I can allow your entry. The aircraft was flown by an ace,indeed the aircraft itself was an Ace

Lots of Me109's in the skies from April onwards it seems, I think we need a few Spitfires, Mustangs and Thunderbolts to even up the odds a little :)
Nige
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 10:52 PM UTC
I've just ordered my kit and will be building a P-39N flown by Russian ace, Col. Aleksandr Ivanovich Pkryshkin.
I've done some reading up and it seems he was the second-ranking allied ace with 59 kills.

Oh, and the kit will be 'SOB' (lol....You know what I mean, don't you?), and is a 1/72 scale by Academy.
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2008 - 01:48 AM UTC
Hi all!

Quoted Text

Lots of Me109's in the skies from April onwards it seems, I think we need a few Spitfires, Mustangs and Thunderbolts to even up the odds a little
Nige

Exactly my tought too!

That´s why I´ll go for a P-51D, not very original, I know!

But the markings will be something extra on this, as I´ll do Col. Lander´s "Big Beautiful Doll"!
It will be in the late war markings with checkerd wingtips, red trim and a huge victory-tally on the side!
Without a doubt, he was an ACE!

The kit will be the Tamiya 1/48, and the kit provides the markings so no need to go AM here.
Perhaps some Eduard brass for the cockpit, but not much more as the kit is really good!

Pics later!

Cheers!

Stefan E
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 06:33 AM UTC
Some really interesting builds in this campaign. I am sure it will be very interesting to follow.
Bjoern, looking forward to see your flashy Mirage.

Nige, so if I can definently identify the aircraft of an ace, but the aircraft does not carry kill markings, the aircraft would still qualify? In that case I will plan another Bf 109 for this campaign
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 06:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Some really interesting builds in this campaign. I am sure it will be very interesting to follow.
Bjoern, looking forward to see your flashy Mirage.

Nige, so if I can definently identify the aircraft of an ace, but the aircraft does not carry kill markings, the aircraft would still qualify? In that case I will plan another Bf 109 for this campaign

Thats correct Jesper.
If there is proof that the aircraft was flown by an ace who chose not to display kill markings, then the build qualifies
EG Manfred Von Richtofen Fokker Triplane.
Nige.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 08:01 PM UTC
Perfect, then I think Esau will join my 109 aces force with his Bf 109 G10 if time allows
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:44 PM UTC
Gunny has stepped forward to help me produce a ribbon.
Many thanks Mark
Id like something along these lines.
5 national markings representing the 5 kills neccessary to achieve ace status.

Dont forget how small this is going to end up
Thoughts please.
Nige
 _GOTOTOP