General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
What the postman brought today ....
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 01:06 AM UTC
Thanks Rowan and Steffen !

Rowan , we do have to pay for customs only if they open to in-speck the package . We pay for the retaping of the box !!

Steffen don't worry 1/48 scale still remains the turn scale and 90% of the stash !
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 01:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...even if I acknowledge that the Spit is probably the finest (main stream) model kit to date) ...

all the best

Steffen

Hi Steffen

I have to admit that I'm fast coming to the conclusion that you're right! I've started taking photos for the Review and the quality is simply amazing! Even after all I'd seen before the kit actually arrived, it still is stunning when you see it for real!

All the best

Rowan
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 02:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well I do not get the hype about this 1/32 scale . .

Who has a sooo large accomodation that he/she even houses the stash not to speak of all the finished models .. well, that won't bother Rowan of course...

Steffen

now you know why he had to move to an island of his own,just to store and display his stash!

paulo
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 02:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi again

Well, Postie just called and left a stunning parcel! Courtesy of HobbyLink Japan the wait is over!:

Now to get a up of coffee and start drooling! Next step - an In-Box Review and then clear the workbench ready to get stuck into building this stunner!

All the best

Rowan

Great kit!!
Any detail set for this??

Cheers Nick
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 03:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great kit!!
Any detail set for this??

If it needed anything, it wouldn't be so great, would it? I've heard Eduard in their newsletter describe the need for more photo-etch "jewellery" for even the most beautiful kit, so I think they have plans for an extensive PE set for it (to be released before their own 1/32 Spit IX).
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 06:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great kit!! Any detail set for this??

Hi there

I think that probably sums up modern day modelling! Ahh, when you think what we used to be happy with...

As Ben says, there are definitely some etched parts on the way - I reckon we can expect a multi-part throttle and pre-painted harnesses for starters. And an obvious thing to appear at some point is gun bays - all the covers are separate, so it's an open invitation to aftermarket producers if Tamiya don't have something of their own planned...

Changing the subject entirely, I was so excited by the arrival of the Spit, I completely missed the second delivery of the day! Postie dropped off a nice little set of plastic cups that I bought to go with the Iwata TR-0:

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 12:56 AM UTC
Hi again

Postie is having a busy week delivering some wonderful items! The latest gem at Castle Aeroscale is SBS Model's new 1:48 cockpit detail set for the Hasegawa Bf 109G-10. It really is a beauty!

All the best

Rowan
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 01:10 AM UTC
Interesting paint cups Rowan . Are they for both bottom feed and gravity feed ?

Nice resin set as well , you can send it my way Would go great with the G-10 which is sitting in the stash ( Be perfect for the 109 campaign )

Will you be doing a review on the resin set ?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 01:15 AM UTC
Nice one Rowan!

I got my 80x80x80cm Light tent today .. shall help me over the dark winter times

Also got this one

looks like a nice issue...

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 01:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Interesting paint cups Rowan . Are they for both bottom feed and gravity feed ?

Nice resin set as well , you can send it my way Would go great with the G-10 which is sitting in the stash ( Be perfect for the 109 campaign )

Will you be doing a review on the resin set ?

Hi Terri

They're side feed pots with a little adapter to fit Iwata airbrushes.

I'll definitely be reviewing the G-10 set as soon as I've got the Spitfire and some other items covered, but I can tell you already - it really is a beautifully designed and cast set.

Steffen - Interesting looking mag! (it looks a bit like this country's late-lamented Air Enthusiast). I'm looking forward to seeing the results with your light tent. Daylight's becoming a scarce commodity here too!

All the best

Rowan
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 01:41 AM UTC
Daylight , what's that ?
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 02:05 AM UTC
Hi Terri

I'm sure I remember some once!... At the moment all we seem to have here is rain (although it was bright this morning for a change ) and the dingy light makes my rather ancient digital camera struggle. I will have to try to find room to set up some lamps and my little light-tent thingy - but it's not really big enough for sprue-shots.

All the best

Rowan
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 03:34 AM UTC
More christmas gifts for myself;
Heinz Knokes "I flew for the fuhrer" and Osprey "Bf 109 aces of the eastern front".

Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 05:00 AM UTC
Actually I should post this on Armorama of HF but his thread is to share our happienes, isn't it? So this week I got a parcel from Keith Forsyth with this set of paints to review for Armorama and I will do it with a very big pleasure. Thank you Keith

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 06:13 AM UTC
Hi Michal

Interesting - I'd spotted that paint set and wondered if the colours would be useful for Polish Air Force uniforms?

All the best

Rowan
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 07:10 AM UTC
Hello,
I'm affriad Merlin it wouldn't... it's a set for Army not Air Forces. Polish ceremonial uniforms (in the Air Force) were in the "steel" colour (something between light blue and grey). I'm not sure yet what was the colour of the flying uniforms, just as shown on the pic below, but I think it was some kind of beidge (give me just few hours for checking my refferences).

Pictures were quickly found in the internet.

(Guy on the far right is a young Witold Łokuciewski, later a BoB pilot of the 303sq.)

Here is another example of polish pre-war flying suits.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 08:20 AM UTC
Many thanks Michal

It'd be great to have a ready reference for the colours. Such uniforms don't get nearly enough coverage compared with the major combatants .

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 12:54 AM UTC
Hi all

today I got a parcel from HLJ with the Maru Mechanic on the Ki 100 and the Ki48 .. too bad I cannot even read Japanese (BTW The AZ models Ki48s are on Hannants Newsletter from yesterday!)

Also a parcel from Hannants which containe two of Loon Models He 177 correction sets (I have 2 kits), an Arado 234 canopy and a decalset that I ordered as a mistake (this was a shared order with a friend) but I will keep it for my Mustang project as I find that green/silver Mustang interesting.

all the best

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 03:28 AM UTC
Hi Steffen,

Quoted Text

(BTW The AZ models Ki48s are on Hannants Newsletter from yesterday!)

There are available from Modelimex since a few days now. I got mine today...

Two He177? You are mad!

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 03:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Two He177? You are mad!

Sure, but in this case it was not my fault. I bought one and got one as a sample later. Sadly not the one with the resin pit. Still waiting for CMK (or any other company) to issue it separately .. I would need two (and yes I have the Eduard sets and also 3 CMK detail sets .. probably will get the Nautilus wing enforcement for the kit that will be "near OOB")

cheers

Steffen
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 12:06 AM UTC
Revell (hasegawa) 1:72 Heinkel He 111 H-6 for the Big Beautiful Bombers campaign. More in the campaign thread soon.
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 12:48 AM UTC
Ref material for the Do-X

From magazine exchange in Derbyshire. Excellent searchable collection of all sorts of magazines.
only a pound plus standard uk shipping. ~70p for a single mag.

Nice section on D.H. Moths in there too.

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 08:50 PM UTC
Here is another good day at Steffens post office. I got 3 deliveries today:

The books are from Kari Stenmans 50% sale. I expected a list sorted by date, but this is faaaaaar better. It is pretty much the Obermaier style (or if you don't know the KC holders books it is similar to the Grub street aces titles) You get the victorious pilots sorted by name with a short bio and data about their aerial victories .. very cool and I am very happy I bought them.

The Navy tractor is a pretty simple kit, as are the figures, but they will make nice companions with your carrier aircraft. BTW there are photos of some striking paintjobs in Tankograd Militärfahrzeug 3/2008...

Finally there is the TIALD pod for my nose art Harrier. Sadly I will have to figure out how to build an appropriate pylon myself

all the best

Steffen
P.S. I am just taking some pix for a short review for my site and my box included 2 tractor kits!! not sure if this is a mistake as I also got 2 decal sets .. will start to glue one together now
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 09:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The books are from Kari Stenmans 50% sale. I expected a list sorted by date, but this is faaaaaar better. It is pretty much the Obermaier style (or if you don't know the KC holders books it is similar to the Grub street aces titles) You get the victorieous pilots sorted by name with a short bio and data about their aerial victories .. very cool and I am very happy I bought them.

Hi Steffen,
Where is this sale?

Tuomas
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 09:17 PM UTC
Hi Tuomas

Well, I got an email a few weeks agon. I also posted it to my site, but here it is again:

Stenman Publishing

Dear aviation enthusiast,

After enjoying my retirement for one year, I have decided to sell off the remaining stocks of:

Finnish Air Force History volumes 1-10 and 17-28
Finnish Air Force volumes I-VI

at 50 % discount

P&P will be added on at cost

Payment Paypal (preferred), bank transfer or credit card

More information of the books here:

www.kolumbus.fi/kari.stenman

Best regards

Kari Stenman

HTH

cheers

Steffen