Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Rumblings in the Dark
Sluff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oulu, Finland
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 05:06 AM UTC
Hi all. I'd like to join this campaign. I've had MPM's 1/72 Defiant night fighter in my stash for some time now, just waiting for an excuse get started. This seems to be just the occasion. And if there's enough time I might try to tackle Zvezda's 1/72 JU-88 G6.
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 09:24 AM UTC
nice one sluff, alway liked the defiant and a night fighters build just would n't be night figther build without one.
I want to get a 1/72 Roc but if I can't get one I'll do a 61 squadron SE5a. Olive and blue diamond camo.
Would be invisible at your local golf club.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 11:18 AM UTC
Welcome aboard: Sluff and JP, I like the Defiant in black, and the SE5 was a great platform for a night intruder.

Robert
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 02:23 PM UTC
My planed build has changed - I found (and won) a Classic Airframes Meteor NF. 11/13.

For some reason I have long been enamored of this version of the meteor. I built the Airfix (ex frog?) kit back in 1992 when I first got back into building models in adulthood, and I just wanted it to be... better... and bigger.

now i can do it the way i wanted to 16 years ago! WOOT!
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 11:41 AM UTC
Visited a model shop in Manchester today and after a brief argument with my conscience emerged with a Roden Sopwith 1 1/2 strutter COMIC fighter and after examining the contents I can see a reasonabe return for my £17.50. Sorry Terri, JayPee, looks like we'll all be doing the same build, but I will be doing the one with the"Schrage Musik" installation. Terri, If yours comes out anything like that Fokker you are building I will have my work cut out to match it
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 01:46 PM UTC
@ Andrew: You have good company in your choice of build, I also like the 1 1/2 Strutter it is a beautiful airplane, but I do not know enough about the term COMIC in WW I. What is it referring to exactly?

@ Vance: What color did the RAF paint the Meteor when used for night missions, or did it matter at this point? I am still planning on a black Spitfire Mk II, I had been given a site (which I cannot find now) for several profiles and it looks good to me.

@ Eric: Interesting choice, I have never seen a night version of an FW 190. Cant wait to see the final scheme.

@ Terri: Are you still leaning towards the 1 1/2 Stutter, there will plenty of help from Jaypee and Andrew if you fly into any trouble.

@ Steffen: Have you any suggestions on a ribbon, I liked the guns flashing idea.

@ Phantom 2: The rules state "night interception" but I figure a night insertion operation would be inline with the guidelines. I also like the black scheme of the Lysander. So yes welcome aboard.

@ Luciano: You will have your hands and eyes full with 1/144 scale, I could not see the model even with my glasses and head magnifier.

@ Pat: The Ju-88 G6 with all of those anttenae will keep you busy, and the paint schemes that adorned them was actually pretty.

@ Tuomas: What scale is the Do 217 J that you will model? I had a 1/72 kit about 26 years ago and cant find it now.

@ JP: Can't wait to view your build, how many schemes did the 1 1/2 Strutter use for a night mission?

@ Taylor: I like the scheme that you posted for your P-61, would you know the scheme that the P-61 carried that was used in the raid on Cabanatuan?

Ok Jesper, any suggestions on an alternitive to the Spitfire since it may have been done too many times already?

Robert
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 02:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Vance: What color did the RAF paint the Meteor when used for night missions, or did it matter at this point? I am still planning on a black Spitfire Mk II, I had been given a site (which I cannot find now) for several profiles and it looks good to me.

Hi Robert,

the RAF seems to have a few different schemes for the meteor NFs:
1. dark green and ocean gray over medium sea gray
2. overall aluminum (paint i believe , not NMF, but I could be wrong)
3. dark green over medium sea gray overall

many foreign users of the type seem to have used the latter camo scheme, which is actually pretty cool.

I thought there was also a scheme using PRU blue under surfaces, but i can't find that reference now and might have imagined it.

Israel had them in their blue and brown over dark gray under surfaces - a tempting color
scheme indeed!

Israel also did their later 3 tone upper surface over light gray on the NF 13s too, or at least they have them displayed in their flight museum like that.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 02:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Robert,

the RAF seems to have a few different schemes for the meteor NFs:
1. dark green and ocean gray over medium sea gray
2. overall aluminum (paint i believe , not NMF, but I could be wrong)
3. dark green over medium sea gray overall

many foreign users of the type seem to have used the latter camo scheme, which is actually pretty cool.

I thought there was also a scheme using PRU blue under surfaces, but i can't find that reference now and might have imagined it.

Israel had them in their blue and brown over dark gray under surfaces - a tempting color
scheme indeed!

Israel also did their later 3 tone upper surface over light gray on the NF 13s too, or at least they have them displayed in their flight museum like that.

Vance number 3 does sound good.

Robert.:
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 08:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Tuomas: What scale is the Do 217 J that you will model? I had a 1/72 kit about 26 years ago and cant find it now.

I'll build the Italeri Do 217J (#1266).
http://www.modelsforsale.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=319259

My back up plan is (If I cant manage to get that kit) is Revell Arado Ar-240
http://www.moduni.de/product_info.php/products_id/8104199
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 08:49 PM UTC
Hi there guys...hmm and gals...:} I've been away from the forum for a while because of intense living:} Seems like there are prety intresting builds. I haen't decided what to build yet but I have options too. I am thinking between Fw.190 A-8/R11 (which is already ocupied), Ju88 G-6(which is also in progress by a fellow), P-70 in USAAF or VVS service ooooooooor a Bf.109 (preferably G-10, G6,14 AS or K-4)as usual:] Any suggestions?
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 10:44 PM UTC
Not building a strutter as I'd have to buy another kit so I've got an SE5a in the stash and I'll try to make it like this beauty,
or in red

I've got the windsock for single seat strutters though. Which I think covers the comic variant. So andy/terri if you want to ask anything I'll happily look it up in there. Would love to see a flight of strutters though. I may yet be tempted
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 12:45 AM UTC
I'd love to join this campaign! However, the night fighter that I'd like to build was in operation in 1956 - three years after the "end" of the Korean War.

Is it possible to bend the rules a little, in order to allow for this Meteor NF.13? Please...

Cheers! // PolarBear
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 03:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd love to join this campaign! However, the night fighter that I'd like to build was in operation in 1956 - three years after the "end" of the Korean War.

Is it possible to bend the rules a little, in order to allow for this Meteor NF.13? Please...

Cheers! // PolarBear

Hello Bjorn
Was the aircraft designated/painted as a nightfighter/intruder? Vance is already doing a meteor so your's should be ok. What do you think Jesper?

Robert:
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 03:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not building a strutter as I'd have to buy another kit so I've got an SE5a in the stash and I'll try to make it like this beauty,
or in red

I've got the windsock for single seat strutters though. Which I think covers the comic variant. So andy/terri if you want to ask anything I'll happily look it up in there. Would love to see a flight of strutters though. I may yet be tempted

JP:
Those schemes are awsome, I really cannot wait to see the photos now. I may have mistaken one of your earlier posts or maybe I had not had enough coffee and my eyes were just seeing what they really were not. Any way great schemes for the SE 5>=.

Robert:
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 03:51 AM UTC
Hello Jolly Roger:
I have not seen a P-70 since a book that I was reading back in 1969. That build would be different and one that I have not seen, even though I think the A-20 kits that are out now have markings for a nightfighter. Great choice.

Robert:
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 07:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Bjorn
Was the aircraft designated/painted as a nightfighter/intruder? Vance is already doing a meteor so your's should be ok. What do you think Jesper?

Robert:

I would say "go for it!". We are here to have fun, so although not everything should be allowed, the Meteor NF.13 is fine with me.

Looking forward to get started.
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 07:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Was the aircraft designated/painted as a nightfighter/intruder?

It sure was! I saved the picture at photobucket, since the Wings' Palette link did not work!

Isn't she a beauty?

I'll sign up, then! // Polarbear
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 12:20 PM UTC
Bjorn:
Those colors are really striking, the aircraft looks like it has two aircrew. I cannot tell by the profile, there seems to be what looks like a hooded screen behind the pilots seat.

Robert:
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2008 - 01:27 AM UTC
Björn, That meteor looks stunning. Which kit are you planning?
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2008 - 01:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Björn, That meteor looks stunning. Which kit are you planning?

Why Matchbox, of course!!!

Why build the modern, state of the art "shake'n'bake" kits, when there are challanges to be met? I know that classic Airframes has a nice NF.13 (yes Robert, its a two-seater) in 1/48, but I've decided to stay in 1/72 - at least until we move to a bigger house or something. The only kit that I know of in 1/72 is the Matchbox, albeit re-boxed by Xtrakit. There are some new decals from IsraDecals that I will try to get hold of.

Cheers!! // PolarBear

EDIT: I may just have changed my mind... Firstly, because I saw this

There's so much detail in 1/48! I'VE GOT TO TRY!
and secondly because me and my family just got a new apartment (bigger space!). We're moving February first! 2009 is going to be the year during which I'll try to build some kits in 1/48!!! (all early jets - the Classic Airframes Meteor for this campaign, the NeomegaTunnan for Speed and the FM Super Mystère for the Frenchie campaign - and perhaps a Draken for the proposed Shiny campaign?)
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 05:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think I will stick with the early war Spitfire in gloss black, or will all of my seams show up?

....just did a black 110 for the Aces High campaign & was thinking of joining with an overall black Vb of 111 Squadron (late 1941) - or is that a problem?
..alternatively I've a Promodeller Ju 88 C-6 I'm keen to do, but the kit decals are wrong and thus far I haven't seen any replacement codes that would suit ...
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 07:37 AM UTC
Hello Neil:
Happy to have you onboard, I see no problem with either entry just as long they fit in side the definations that are posted in the campaigns rules. I think they both sound good, I myself am thinking of modeling the MkII in black just as long as there not too many others then I may model an F3D Skynight in black. both look good in that scheme to me.

Robert:
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 12:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Neil:
Happy to have you onboard, I myself am thinking of modeling the MkII in black just as long as there not too many others then I may model an F3D Skynight in black. both look good in that scheme to me.

Robert:

cheers Robert ! ..there's something about black aeroplanes !

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 05:34 AM UTC
cheers Robert ! ..there's something about black aeroplanes !

[/quote]

Neil I remember reading a book in the library in elementary way back in 1965 I think the title was Aircraft of World War II by a gentleman named Green who did the Profile series. I noticed that there was a P-70 ( I had no idea at the time) in a gloss black night shceme to deflect the search lights glare. At the age of 12 it just did not seem correct since all the other aircraft were in dull/flat colors, but 4 years later and after having read so much more and joining IPMS where I learned about the idea of gloss black. Ever since that summer of 1969 at an IPMS meeting in Dallas, Texas I fell in love with black night fighting aircraft. My first P-38 was Monogram's built into the "M" version and painted black oob, I am working on another Monogram P-38 at the moment and getting it ready to convert into the nightfighter version. And is the kit a dog, I do not remember having this much trouble back in 1965 with the assambly. Either the kit that I am presently working on is just so warped or I am too angry with the way I am bashing it together. Well long story I love black aircraft especially WWll types.

Robert:
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 11:57 PM UTC
Wow! Is that the 1/32 kit you are talking about? If so was it that ....hmm if I say "old" will I insult you? I saw reboxed versions by Revell and yes they are like a B class Horror Movie!!! It is probably because of the time lapsed and the moulds are defected. It happens with old Matchbox moulds too.I find here and there pld Matchbox kits and they are just perfect in fitting, but te reboxed ones are a horror series on its own. Old moulds were good in their time. Reboxed kits generally break my heart.
I have butchered the Matchbox Meteor NF when I was a kid. I still regard it as a cool model.:] Ok I will listen to elder advice and go with the P-70. It is a matchbox too:} Not an original dated one I am afraid. I think it is produced after being sold to Revell. Still in Matchbox box box box box....sorry LP stuck.... I saw a VVS decal set for it in Owl Decals. Who knows maybe I build it as a Stalin bat:]