Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Rumblings in the Dark
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:54 AM UTC
Andrew: I agree, a great build and at a speed to make me envious. Hermon your Corsair looks great and has given me some insite.

Robert
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2009 - 12:08 PM UTC
Thanks guys, glad you like it. It was a fun kit to build and I have to say it's probably one of my best builds so far. The weathering and painting turned out better than my usual offerings.

Hermon
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
AeroScale: 278 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 09:05 PM UTC
Hermon:
My gosh that was fast, and it looks great. Beauty and speed; a true gift
I am still just sanding the 61. The more I sand and scribe the bigger this kit seems to get
Taylor
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 07:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hermon:
My gosh that was fast, and it looks great. Beauty and speed; a true gift

Thanks Taylor. As for the fast part, I've been out of work for nearly 2 weeks with kidney stones so in between "death spasms" I've gotten alot of modeling done.

Quoted Text

I am still just sanding the 61. The more I sand and scribe the bigger this kit seems to get
Taylor

That's a big reason I built a Tamiya. I know Tamiya kits are not much of a challenge to build but with 13 campaigns I need all the help I can get.

Hermon
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 08:00 AM UTC
I just received my Airfix Spit Vb and looking at the raised detail I am wondering if I will sand it off like Taylor or take Hermons advise and order a Tamyia Spit. Vb from Squadron. The fit of the Airfix is not too bad, but the plastic seems really soft. What experiances has anyone had with this Airfix kit?

Robert
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2009 - 11:42 AM UTC
Got one in the stash, but haven't started it yet. Built the MkVIII in Airfix and it was OK. Airfix seem to inhabit the extremes, the bulk of the kits having fit or detailing problems but just occasionally you get a good one. If you want a challenge build it. Just been reading First Light by Geoffrey Wellum, some good descriptions of night operations in Spitfires, recommended reading
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2009 - 11:51 AM UTC
Andrew: Thanks for the information re: the Airfix Mk Vb. I will look up First Light.

Robert
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 04:52 AM UTC
Well, I didn't know Eduard had even done a boxing of their 1/48 Bristol Fighter as a nightfighter (they did), let alone that I could find one (I did)!

Oh oh...

Found new kit... didn't even know existed... didn't know I needed until I saw it... distraction happening... starting new kit even though in the middle of three (at least)...

HELP, I'm turning into The Modeler!!!

Sorry F6F, Biff, here I come!

Consider this my official notice of change of direction!

Michael
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 05:10 AM UTC
Welcome Michael to the insanity of night fighting fun.
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 08:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, I didn't know Eduard had even done a boxing of their 1/48 Bristol Fighter as a nightfighter (they did), let alone that I could find one (I did)!

Oh oh...

Found new kit... didn't even know existed... didn't know I needed until I saw it... distraction happening... starting new kit even though in the middle of three (at least)...

HELP, I'm turning into The Modeler!!!

Sorry F6F, Biff, here I come!
Know what you mean, I have the Eduard Biff but I went and bought the Roden Strutter - madness

Consider this my official notice of change of direction!

Michael

I know the feeling, I have that Biff kit in the stash but went and bought the Roden Strutter. Biff now going to Terri's stripy campaign unless I find a Felixstowe.....
Andrew
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 12:37 AM UTC
That's a sweet Corsair Hermon. I like the rivets, just the right shade of darker than the surroundings in my eyes. Stand tall and proud!

I had that speed on my T-bolt at first, but work got in the way. It will be some time before I even put the snippers to my Mossie.

Tony
7thCavmedic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 40 posts
AeroScale: 22 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 01:30 AM UTC
yes Hermon kudo's on that f4u-2 i don't know if its still posible but if you filled in that outboard gun port on the radom wing it would be abosolutly peeerfect....

great constrction and paint skill ..

my hats of to you
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 12:22 AM UTC
best laid plans and all that. I'm not making the revell 1/72 se5a for this campaign, I found a nice scheme
for it as a display plane. Instead I'll make tamiya's 1/72 109e as G9+JV just ordered the Owl decals for this
machine. An all RLM22 machine, looking forward to building a tamiya kit for the first time. Hope they go
together as well as everyone says I could do with a break from 1/72 scale engineering
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 01:48 PM UTC
JP
Yes, the Tamiya kit is very nice indeed. In my humble opinion, one of the finest small scale 109s made
Taylor
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 - 05:20 AM UTC
My FW is elsewere together with my airbrush so it is time for the first steps on the J 30 Mosquito, and boy is this a time warp. Airfix, 1:72 and brush painting, just like in the seventies. Yes I know, I'm not even old

I managed to get the fuselage halves off the sprue without a hitch, but seriously damaged the location pins trying to remove the flash. The half with holes were a piece of cake to flatten on a big sheet of sanding paper, so why not the one with the pins
The halves match well in size though, so it will only be a matter of precision to align them.

Then I went on like in the good ole days, brush painting the interior with a p*kish green, and black on the dash and radio set. Picking out details will be a swift job. A little silver on the radio and a streak over the dials. But then again, will even that be seen ?

Now, if I say this will be a fast one something will just show up and delay me, so I will aim for the deadline!

Tony
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 - 01:42 PM UTC
Tony: I remember building Airfix kits in the 60's and painting with brushes (telling my age) but it was so much fun. It also kept me out of trouble, but with out the location pins it will be more like putting an ICM kit together .Well have fun I have received my Airfix 1/48 Spit. Mk Vb and it has raised panel lines (I will sand them off) and the plastic is soft and the parts attach with pronounced levels of height. Anyway it will be black so when i use putty it will look ok.

Robert
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 01:59 PM UTC
Just a few shots to prove I am working on the Widow. The plastic is really soft and it has made rescribing a bit of a challenge. Only the booms left to rescribe.

Taylor

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2009 - 03:37 AM UTC
I have now started on my Bf 109 for this campaign. I am building the Hasegawa kit. I have run into some problems regarding some of the colours for this plane. any help would be appreciate in this tread on BF 109 FLAPS INTERIOR COLOURS

Below are pictures of the kit and the actual plane. Construction has started, so an update will follow shortly.

jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2009 - 05:04 AM UTC
Are you making GV or JV Jesper? I'll make the other as the owl sheet has decals for both.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2009 - 05:21 AM UTC
@Taylor: nice job on the paneling. Do you use tape, or a metal ruler for your straight edge?

@Jesper: Great pictures, any information on the pilot and his aircraft?

Robert
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2009 - 05:29 PM UTC
I found a website showing aces by country and Germany designates night fighting kills in WW II also. Hopefully the site below will help some in there search for an a/c.
www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/aces/aces.htm#wwii

Robert
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2009 - 08:20 PM UTC
JP, I think I am going to do the "JV" as these are the decal included in the kit.

Robert, I do not have any info on the pilot yet, but I have not made a search. I will see what I have and post it later a long with the build.
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2009 - 09:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@Taylor: nice job on the paneling. Do you use tape, or a metal ruler for your straight edge?

@Jesper: Great pictures, any information on the pilot and his aircraft?

Robert

Thank you Robert:
I use a Verlinden scribing template for most of it, On serious curves I will use label tape cut into thin strips or a raxor saw, The saw really helps to make sure lines match up from one fusalage half to another

Taylor
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 12:38 PM UTC
made a start to g9+gv the tamiya 1/72 109e is a great kit best i've ever used.
i barely even need glue. there is options on the single sprue to make a trop,
version a pointy spinner version, jabo version. I got this one for 4 pound inc post
on ebay no idea what retail is for this but i'd easily pay twice that.
the only problem is you could build them so quick youd have no room for them.
you could even display it cowl off as it has a beginnings of a jumo there. hmmm
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 11:27 PM UTC
Here are the latest status on my Bf 109E. It is an aircraft from NJG 1, III. staffel, 10. Gruppe. I do not know anything about the pilot of this machine or whether it was succesful in the night interdiction role.

I left it with the flaps down a bit and the leading wing edges "open". Changes the look significantly. Otherwise no problems so far. The kit comes together well and some nice PE parts are included.

Now it is time to paint the cockpit.

More to follow....