Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Stripes in the Skies
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 - 08:59 AM UTC
Chicken ? Don't blame you at Jaypee , I have the sopwith camel kit and so much work needs to done I started to grow my own feathers ! All my 72 scale I do out of the box just to small for me .

I did get my PE set in the mail today for the pfalz so I will be starting this this week .
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 - 01:28 PM UTC
well I made my first major blunder with the SE5a I was tired, fitted the wrong Undercarriage legs..the all wood instead of the steel....means ALL the decal options in the kit are out. So....kornbeef is looking for a stripes option for a geared Hisso with all wood undies.... Ideas Anyone?

One day I'll learn...... follow the instructions LOL
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 - 06:08 PM UTC
Instructions , what are those !
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 - 08:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Instructions , what are those !

The thing that tells you where part 32 should have gone about 5 stages earlier in the build that fastens the hoojiemaflip to the thingymebob that stops the giggleshaft spinning.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 06:16 PM UTC
So that's what that sheet with pictures and numbers is !
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 01:19 PM UTC
Woohoo!

The Bloch is on the bench! We're on our way with this campaign. This is my first limited run kit and its quite the challenge. Parts don't fit quite right. No locating pins, etc...

... a real skill tester. After, doing a lot of 'dry fitting' however I've got a plan and some confidence that, with a little luck, this little Vichy fighter might just turn out nicely.

I'll start posting progress pics soon.

Cheers,
Fred
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 07:08 AM UTC
Looking forward to the progress pic's Frederick . Have no fear on the limited run kit's . They are great way on improving ones skills . I have lots in the stash and when I need a really challenge I bring one out .
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 02:32 AM UTC
Hi y'all.

Weather forecast looked a bit grim, so I decided to feed my Messerschmitt craving a bit. For this campaign it will be an Avia S-199. It has a striped rudder, stripes arount the waist and even, according to some sources, black walkways on the vings. Those are stripes too, so I'll go with them here

I will build the one on the box, "120-Dalet" just because everything allready is in there. Unfortunately, even if Hobbycraft say they have "the most correct decal sheet to date" there are a lot of things to debate. Colour of waistband, clolour of arrows to step ladders, main colour of the machine itself and so on. If anyone have a better clue than me I'm all ears, but otherwise I'll go with a lighter shade of grey/green than RLM 68, blue/white waistband and black arrows. That seems to be the most likely sheme.

On this one I'll try some small additions the the model. Here is a strap for the breech cover, made from masking tape and electric wire. I'll try seat belts and brake lines in the same manor, but boy do I need smaller fingers and sharper eyes You out there, who do these things regularely - I take my hat off!

Cockpit and some other stuff got a shade of grey that is a bit light, but I hope that it will end more like a cockpit than a tarpit, so I go a bit light.

Bye for now, but looking at the weather charts, this will be a quicker build than anticipated. Not a 24-hour one though. I'll save that challenge a bit more.
Tony
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 05:55 AM UTC
Update on my progress......no pics but building SE5a....40 sqn...prolly S for sugar atm
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 11:13 AM UTC
Right on Tony , Good start so far ............is this the Hobby-craft of Canada kit ?

Keith , really looking forward to the pics of this top secret project ......................
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 03:07 PM UTC
pics tomorrow hopefully Terri...... hopping between this and the LVG...which has stripes too well kind of.....a zigzag stripe around the fuselage....counts doesnt it?

smiles and winks, notices its 3AM and thins...oh dear
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
AeroScale: 278 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 03:46 PM UTC
Tony:

If your interested, The actual color when the planes were first delivered was very close to RLM 68. Some speculate that it was an RAL shade. They faded really quickly during service on unimproved air fields. The other problem is the Museum example was not restored to the correct color. RLM 02, as depicted in some art work, is far too light. I can't wait to see this one done. I have built several of these and the basic kit is a lot of fun. I also have a conversion in 1/32 that i might be brave enough to try someday.

Taylor
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 10:10 PM UTC
@Terri.
This is Hobbycraft allright, so I'll paint maple leafs on the wings inside. It feels a lot like Academys stuff though, both regarding plastic and parts breakdown.

@Taylor.
If they faded a lot during service I guess I'll have to go with dark shade and very little weathering. I still don't feel up to weather large areas of decal, and I guess this specimen wasn't flown very much before the war of -48. Thanks for the tip, because I've allways believed they were light in shade, but more green than tan. I also guess the stripes will be more visible the darker the plane is.

Tony
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 11:02 PM UTC
I remember reading in a magazine article that although green they quickly weathered to a light grey.
This was from a pilot's testimony. I'll have a look through my old mags later, to see if I can find the article and I'll
give you a better idea of what it said about the colour.

Meanwhile I've drilled the rigging holes and cleaned up the se5a. I think I'll try and convert one of the
eduard RFC crew to fit as a pilot as the revell pilot is very soft moulded.

JP
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 12:46 AM UTC
Great JP. I have quite a lot to do before putting the major paint on her, so it's no rush.
And by the way - You aren't forgotten. I just haven't been to the right kiosk yet

Tony
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 01:36 AM UTC
Perhaps I can earn the polkagris if I tell you Model Aircraft Monthly June 2007 has a 16 page pull out on Israeli A/C.
Found this info on the web and I'll take a look through the boxes when I get home, to see if I still have it.
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 01:50 AM UTC
Yupp. That's definately worth polkagris. I don't think I can find the mag here though, but I havent been to a library in ages, so why not try.

Tony
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 05:14 AM UTC
Yeah thoughs older Revell figuars are just nasty . How is the Eduard one ? The ones I have in 48 scale are soft in the details as well and with sink marks .

You could be right Tony , Hobbycraft and Academy bounce their molds back and forth lots .
So this could have been released by Academy first .

I haven't even started my build yet . Still fighting with the 190 .
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 05:44 AM UTC
Well here's a pic of my entry for this campaign. It'll be a few weeks before I start though.

Luciano
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 06:49 AM UTC
Look stripes? laughs...well kinda stripes............

Also building this alongside its striped too or will be soon

jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 08:43 AM UTC
wow that looks like real wood even close up.

@Terri. The eduard RFC crew in 72 scale is really nice not
at all soft, you can see their expressions. They appear to be
being tortured. Perhaps they are just afraid of being glued into a revell

@ tony: I do have that mag. Basically the story goes they where described as grey
in a 1950s document. which people took to mean rlm02 grau. Then this researcher (yoav
efrati) finds some paint chips and speaks to Ezer Wiezman who tells him rlm02 is wrong
and the colour was a khaki green like the army uniforms. A fuel filler cap is found of a
grey/green colour RAL6013. This is verified by a former IAF Avia mechanic (Shabtai Katz).
So an avia in the IAF museum was painted this RAL6013.

One year on in the sun it had turned .... GREY much like rlm02!
Which explains why the 1950s was both correct and misleading.

So anywhere between these two colours and you could argue your case.
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
AeroScale: 278 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 02:51 PM UTC
Keith:
The LG looks great. I agree, the wood effect has really turned out well. This campaign is really going to have quite a variety of aircraft. Even a Sopwith Triplane .

Taylor

LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 07:30 PM UTC
Have anybody here ever got a better answer, JP? I can basically take any colour I like, and weather accordingly.

Time to take a good look at RAL 6013 then. Tony.
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 07:33 PM UTC
Oh, that was easy. Blank screen of RAL 6013 is here give or take a bit depending on the computer screen. The red/white rudder will be sharp against that!

Tony.
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 09:05 AM UTC
sticking oot big man.

se5a

chopped the revel head and arm off and eduard ones in their place. fills up the gap where a cockpit
should be nicely.