Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Stripes in the Skies
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 04:13 PM UTC
Hi Stefen , glad to have you join up . the numbers are getting up there on this one .

I do have some bad news on this though . do to issues at the boarder any having legal matters I will not be able to do my build for this one . Jesper is the wing man on this and i need for him to get a hold of me about this .

the campaign will carry on as planned when i can get access to the net i will check in on all the great builds and will award the ribbons when the closing date comes .

this is a road block which i was not expecting and i'm soory for this . but as it stands now i;m stuck betwwen a rock and a hard place . so please carry on with this guys
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 09:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am looking for some advice. I was thinking about doing the Wyvern from the stash or maybe now is the time to break new ground and try something from WWI. I have no bi-planes. Any recomendations for 1:48 scale?

Taylor

Try a Fokker, Dr1 or DVII, either make great looking aircraft, both have stripy schemes and both have very little rigging, important in a first WW1 model. Do NOT buy the SMER DVII it is rubbish although the decals are for Udet's (very stripy) aircraft. Eduard or Roden kits are beautiful but if you build a DVII you will probably need lozenge decals. Revell kits have very heavy interplane strut assemblies. I like the Eduard kits, I have built the Nieuport 16 and Albatros DIIIa and found them very satisfying, so have a Bristol Fighter and a Pfalz DIII in the stash. Read the WW1 threads on rigging and if necessary Lozenge camoflage.

Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
AeroScale: 278 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 02:52 PM UTC
Andrew:
Thanks for the advice. I like the lines of the Albatros but maybe a DR1 is the place to start
Sounds like Eduard is the way to go. I will give it a try

Taylor
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 01:52 AM UTC
Hi Taylor , Can't go wrong with Eduard kits at all . Their Albatros D.III and D.V/a are the best out there and are easy to assemble . The Fokker Dr.1 is a must have . With tons of marking s to choose from . And not alot of rigging for them either which is perfect if you have never done it before . If you are up to lots of rigging then the Airco DH-2 has the most in their range of kits .
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
AeroScale: 278 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 02:43 PM UTC
Thank you for the advice Terri. The Airco is a bit intimidating. Maybe the DR1
Hope your move to Texas is getting th kinks worked out. The summers their are too hot for me so I moved to Michigan
Taylor
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 08:24 AM UTC
Thanks Taylor , I'm getting the kinks slow work out .

Now that my panic mod is over and not so freak out . And I need something to build ! E-mail was sent and my kit will be fed-ex to me . So I will be able to do this build after all . It has been driving nuts on missing out on this build ! I will try and do my best to have it finished !

Which reminds me .......................14 days to go
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 10:32 AM UTC
Getting even closer ti the start date !
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 03:31 AM UTC
How many days?..... wonder if my Wingnut kits make it here in time......There just must be a stripey SE5A or LVG option
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 04:03 AM UTC

OK.

I've been wanting to add some french aircraft to my collection and I realize that I spend an awful lot of time shooting RLM colours through my airbrush. (Hey, painting german aircraft is a lot of fun.)
I had originally planned to do a JG44 Dora but that seems to be a popular subject and I already have another FW 190 on the build bench.

This is a fine chance to mix things up a little so I ordered a Tamiya Dewoitine D520 the other day and it should be here by the time the campaign starts. That should provide lots of opportunities to practice my stripes.

Cheers,
Fred
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 04:48 AM UTC
Terri, even thought you don't like to build/see WWI planes, I took the risk and ordered Eduards Albatros D.III Weekend edition. I have always wanted to try a biplane, And by this campaign I finally have chance.

I am planning to do it as ac flown by Bruno Lörzer of Jasta 26.

Tuomas
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 09:43 AM UTC
Nah,

Terri won't dig a striped DIII.

Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 08:33 PM UTC
Tuomas, just a thought.... check the radiator position in the top wing. Hard to say but from the sprue shot it looks offset, the artwork shows a central early setup. But does the kit come with 2 optional wings?
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 10:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tuomas, just a thought.... check the radiator position in the top wing. Hard to say but from the sprue shot it looks offset, the artwork shows a central early setup. But does the kit come with 2 optional wings?

Keith nice catch..
AFAIK it comes with only one wing, since it's stripped down weekend edition (I doubt that even the normal edition has only one wing). This is my first biplane / WWI ever so I can't judge this, we'll see when the order arrives to me.

If this kit is not suitable for ac I planned, no problem since there is alot of "Albys" with stripes on them.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 04:14 AM UTC
I have been hearing some strange rumors on which I don't like or care for( I might add ) of a dislike towards WW1 aircraft ! All statements are false , now I have to climb the water tower to defend my honor yet again !!!

Tuomas , for the markings you have chosen for your build the weekend edition kit has the wrong wings in the kit . The rad should be center and not off set . Off set was for late model D.III with the expection of OAW built which all had the off set . Eduards first release of the weekend kit has both wings , but not the second boxing . Fear not though there is an endless list of stripe Albbies . I would post some options for you from the windsock data files , but Ray wouldn't be to happy about that ! However if you go over to the drome Dan San Abbott has profile drawings posted there under art I believe . www.areodrome.com

My kit arrived the other day for this build , told my friend just send the one kit but she ended up sending the whole dame box ! so I'm set for this one !

5 more days and the build begins !
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 06:25 AM UTC
Thanks for info Terri, to be honest I didn't even know there was different versions of Albies.

Do you think it would be possible for normal skilled modeller ( ) to move that rad without destroying the wing much? Or do the rads also differ otherwise than position? Any other differencies between early/late Albies?

I couldn't find any profiles from aerodrome, but I maybe searched from wrong place since it's new site for me.

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 07:31 AM UTC
Hi Tuomas , you could move the rad on the wing but you will lose the detail so going it about that way is way to much work . If you can get the Eduard PE set which is sold on it's own , or you can use Toms Model Works PE set both have the rad . You can even use the PE set from the D.V set as well from there older line of kits . I have a few of the Eduard kits and will have a look throught them tomorrow and see what marking options there are and post them for you . Maybe some one else will be able to post different options as well . I have to work tonight and won't be home until late . But I'll see what I can dig up for you .
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 08:03 AM UTC
I'll reconsider moving the rad when I get my kit. However, I chose on purpose cheaper kit so I won't ruin any expensive kit. For this reason I don't even think about buying any aftermarket/PE parts.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 08:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll reconsider moving the rad when I get my kit. However, I chose on purpose cheaper kit so I won't ruin any expensive kit. For this reason I don't even think about buying any aftermarket/PE parts.

But Tuomas PE is not too hard to do. I was a bit hesitant until I used it for the first time and now I use it whenever I can. A few basic tools and you are set.

Still have to decide what to build..
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 08:39 AM UTC
Tuomas , Warren is right ( HI Warren ) To start with when you cut into the wing rib detail will be lost so the wholle wing will need the have the rib detail sanded away and replaced , hence the lower wings will need the same as well . Then the rib detail will have to be added . It can be done but is a lot of work ! Working with the PE parts for the wing rad is easy . the parts are flat and just need a very slight curve added . and much cheaper then having to pick up another kit . Sanding the old rad away you will need to added the rib detail in that spot once the rad is in it's new location . I don't dought your skills as a model builder but if that's the way you want to go if you need help just ask !
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 08:40 AM UTC
Hi Terri.

If I was you I would not go to this website, http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/, as it may lead to an empty purse for you and any other WW1 aircraft fan... Like me..and, well, it would be an empty wallet in my case..
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 08:52 AM UTC
I think you understood my point wrong (language barrier?), I have used and I am using PE sets in my current fw 190. It is just my first biplane and I am bit worried about the rigging etc. new things, so I don't want to fill up my model with aftermarket (pe) stuff in case it gets screwed.

I think best choice is to find another camouflage and leave the rad as it is.

Thank you both Terri & Warren for your assistance !

Tuomas
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 08:57 AM UTC
I already have it added to my favorites list , just starting working again so hopeful I'll be able to pick up a few of their kits .

Tuomas , if you want I do have a spare wing that you can have , I can mail it to you but not sure how long it will take to get to finland from canada .
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 09:42 AM UTC
Tuomas, you are not the one with a language barrier! You speak English a million percent better than I speak Finnish! :-)

Think I may just go with the Revell Martlett IV with the invasion stripes. Can't get much more stripey than that!

Terri, I ordered the SE5a and the F2B. Taking advantage of the free shipping. May order the other two as well if these ones turn out to be OK.

All, has anyone seen any reviews of these kits?
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 10:19 AM UTC
No Warren I haven't heard any thing about a review yet just what I have seen on their site .

by the time I get the money for the kits they will no longer be available any more . So I think I missed out on the LVG and the bristol . I would like to get the Pfalz D.IIIa when it comes out and the Albbie D.V . The lozenge decals look to be very promising as well . But you never know the Lord works in strange ways !

warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 10:38 AM UTC
There is a quick inbox review on The Aerodrome, and the Wing nuts site has images of all the sprues. I ordered all four this morning so you may still be able to get the ones you want.

I saw an articles on an Se5A build and they were just finishing hand-painting the white kangaroo on a red stripe, and guess what, that is one of the schemes for the SE5a from Wingnuts! I feel sorry for the poor bloke!