Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Aluminium Campaign
05Sultan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
AeroScale: 258 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 01:19 PM UTC
Alrighty then!!!
A few WIP shots from today before struts&braces,final install of sub assy's.
Let's see if me and the scotch nectar can swing this w/o buggery,eh?

First biplane since age 9 It's finished now. Took far less time than I thought. No turnbuckles or other hardware.Are these really available in 1/32?
First NMF anything/anyscale. Had to make instrument panel w/guages as none in kit or in instructions. Final pics after this coming week-3/8/10+. Work gets crazy now and then...
Fire away and or supply refreshments!
05Sultan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 12:25 PM UTC
Finished!
Have a Pacifico or equivalant on me!

Subject: Nieuport 17

Kit: Academy

Scale: 1/32

Finish: Enamels,acrylics,inks. Painted and marked as tail# N1895 of Lieutenant Charles Nungesser, Escadrille N.65, French Air Force, Fall/Winter 1916

Construction: Box stock plus scratch instrument panel as none supplied with kit. Wing/landing gear brace wire of #30 or 33 galvanized wire. Rudder,elevator wire is sandwich bread tie wire. All wire is natural finish.

finish application: All primers are OSH enamel flat black primer. Base coat NMF(natural metal finish) is OSH Silver #225414. Both applied as is from rattle can. All other finishes are hand brushed.

Initial gloss coat: clear acrylic tinted with Higgins black drawing ink.

Kit decals

Final gloss coat: clear acrylic

Wood grain: Black primer,medium brown acrylic,Stryation/bry brush w/clear acrylic tinted with Walnut ink. Blushed with clear acrylic tinted with Sepia ink. Sealed with clear acrylic.

No air brush was harmed in this build.

Photos : Canon Powershot A550, auto mode/0flash/macro/zoom as desired

Photo set-up: as seen

Enhancements:none. Size reduced to facillitate cyber transfer only.

Enjoy! Other stuff of mine on Photobucket.com under my call sign: 05Sultan

Thanks!!
Rick
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 06:35 AM UTC
Excellent build Rick. (The rigging looks first rate)

I'm so glad I kept this project simple. The cockpit on my AT-6 is proving to be one of the more involved undertakings I've tackled in a while. Part of the slow going lies in the adaptation of the PE set intended for the Occidental kit for the Monogram kit. .

Redoing the cockpit floor was, I think, still the correct course of action . That said, if I want to stay on schedule, once I finish the office suite and button up the fuse, I'm going to have to scale down my efforts with this. (this means taking a pass on rebuilding the wheel wells and simply moving on to the painting.

I'll post more progress (as I make it)

Cheers,
Fred
05Sultan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 03:08 PM UTC
Thank you Fredrick! Your Texan office looks quite involved. Was the floor that far from reality? I don't know if I could throw that much at AC flooring. I know people do,but again how much is seen and recognized(in the final) for your effort?
Cheers for dilligence!
Rick
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 - 02:47 PM UTC
Grretings all from your frustrated Campaign Leader. After moving house several weeks ago I STILL have no internet at home , so I am reduced to checking in occasionally at work for the moment.

Joe, that Marauder is looking superb, acres of Aluminium and really clean application.

Rick, sweet job on the Nieuport !! I'm about to tackle rigging (for the very first time, so NO laughing ) on a 1/48 Roden Gloster Gladiator , I just hope it turns out half as well as yours.

Fred, great progress on the Texan, it's a tightly packed little office to be working on (or in).

Keep the progress shots coming guys, 6 weeks left in this Campaign.

Cheers, D
Wolfsangel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 221 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 05:26 PM UTC
Hi everybody,
There are a mess of beautiful builds in this group. I hope I can pull mine off to even half the level of the bar.
Damian, sorry I haven't checked in earlier but life is a little rough for me right now.
Aside from that, I finally went through my inventory, found the ones that would work within the parameters, and picked something else entirely so see if you can feel my pain and work with me on this.
Monogram B-17G, Monogram B-29? No time to scribe the panel lines and the Fort is earmarked for a conversion.
Tamiya P-51D? Hung up on the details.
Hobbycraft P-35? The references I've seen at Clark Field are all O.D.
So that's my current inventory with possibly naked Aircraft so here comes the twisted logic.
If you take a G4M Betty and consider the current research where people are saying the undersides were not painted, just bare, oxidizing Aluminum there's half the criteria. Now, I place it at Atsugi Airfield in '45 with the heavy weathering the aircraft show in photos, and I'm at 80+% Aluminum! Besides, I want to build the kit and I want to try weathering something that bad. The questions are A. Is that acceptable? and 2. Can I pull it off in 5 weeks?
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 05:44 PM UTC
G'day Charlie

Quoted Text

Hi everybody,
There are a mess of beautiful builds in this group. I hope I can pull mine off to even half the level of the bar.
Damian, sorry I haven't checked in earlier but life is a little rough for me right now.
................ so here comes the twisted logic.
If you take a G4M Betty and consider the current research where people are saying the undersides were not painted, just bare, oxidizing Aluminum there's half the criteria. Now, I place it at Atsugi Airfield in '45 with the heavy weathering the aircraft show in photos, and I'm at 80+% Aluminum! Besides, I want to build the kit and I want to try weathering something that bad. The questions are A. Is that acceptable? and 2. Can I pull it off in 5 weeks?

Firstly, no need to apologise. We all face tough times on occasion, I just hope things are on the improve for you and keep heading in that direction !!
Secondly, I love twisted logic, it's the best type !!
Thirdly, if you take a look at the Gallery for this Campaign, or even browse through the thread, there's plenty of paint and some BIG decals on most of the builds, so if your Betty is 80% shiny, I say go for it !! I'm sure the rest of the guys here would agree.

Fire it up, and don't forget to post a few progress shots so we can all admire your handiwork.

Cheers, D

05Sultan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 02:18 AM UTC
Get busy Charlie! Is the Betty going to be a weathered wreck/write-off or fly worthy ugly gull?
Cheers for alloys!
Rick
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 05:41 AM UTC
After a couple of weeks of hiatus, I'm "Back in the saddle!" and hope to finish my Mirage before the end of this campaign. My second son entered this world about a month ago, so I've had my focus elsewhere. My firstborn decided to play with daddy's airplane a while ago, and quite a few fragile parts just "happened" to break off! I've been fixing and mending pitot tubes, canopies etc for a while, and this is the current status;

Some connaisseurs may probably notice that the side roundels have ended up a couple of millimeters too high - all due to a faulty instruction scheme in the otherwise excellent IsraDecals set. It's a shame, especially since I have quite a few reference books at hand, and should have been able to check! Nothing I can do about it now, unfortunately. (Besides, most "normal" people won't notice!)

I don't think that I will be able to finish all the ordonance for this campaign. With two small kids and a demanding profession, I simply won't find the time (and I don't want to stress this build). But the aircraft shall be finished, G-d willing! There is stil a lot of work with the landing gear etc to be done!

The exhaust is only dry-fitted at this stage. I painted it in Alclad's "Jet Exhaust" and was pretty satisfied until I noticed that the inside of the Mirage exhausts are almost white. Let's see if I can fix that?

Great entries in this campaign, btw. Proud to be part of it!
Time to continue the build...

Cheers!!! // PolarBear
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 11:31 AM UTC
G'day Bjorn

Quoted Text

My second son entered this world about a month ago, so I've had my focus elsewhere. My firstborn decided to play with daddy's airplane a while ago, and quite a few fragile parts just "happened" to break off!

Well CONGRATULATIONS !! I hope mother and son are going well. And yes, I've faced the dreaded "inquisitive toddler" syndrome as well, in fact my F-84G for this Campaign is currently belly-landed with one landing gear totally AWOL. Thankfully I have posted finished pics before the tragedy.

Quoted Text

Great entries in this campaign, btw. Proud to be part of it!
Time to continue the build...

Your Mirage is looking very nice, super job so far.

Cheers, and welcome back !!
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 01:56 PM UTC
Joe, really like that B-26 with the mouth on it. Thinking of building one in 1/72 scale for myself. Great work. Russell
Wolfsangel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 03:26 PM UTC
Thanks Damian. Nothing like pushing the envelope.
Hi Rick. I like your workspace although it's neater than mine. Must be nice having the steady California weather so you can actually work in your "ManSpace" year round. Your Nieuport is a clean build. I had to Google OSH but, once I figured it out, that made it even better.
As for my build, the Betty is going to look like it's in the same condition as my favorite truck. She'll always get the job done but it's a crap shoot when it comes to getting all the way home.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 04:13 PM UTC
Hey Charlie,

Quoted Text

As for my build, the Betty is going to look like it's in the same condition as my favorite truck. She'll always get the job done but it's a crap shoot when it comes to getting all the way home.

That's brilliant, can I use that line ??

Cheers, D
Wolfsangel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 05:47 PM UTC
Damien, If I said no how am I gonna check up on you?!
'81 Ford Stepside ex-farm truck I bought off a friend in '89 for the princely sum of $300 (He needed rent money, I needed to have a pick-em-up). It was still shiney then, most of the wood was still in the bed, it had a complete interior, and it hadn't stopped a Buick from wiping out my garage yet (sigh, my sweet 572,000 mile Truckster).
When someone wants to make fun of her I tell them she outlasted my first wife.

I'm starting the Betty this weekend and I'll definitely be ordering the Fast-Frames masks for this flying greenhouse.
05Sultan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 - 03:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rick. I like your workspace although it's neater than mine. Must be nice having the steady California weather so you can actually work in your "ManSpace" year round. Your Nieuport is a clean build. I had to Google OSH but, once I figured it out, that made it even better.

Hah! The camera caught the Bench of Chaos on a good day.Cleaned off after every build finish,it now looks like it's old jumbled self again. Ugly,but I know where everything is. There are a few weeks of extreme weather where the Man Cave isn't fun, but it does get the job done. Had a '76 Nova that could have been your truck's sister. Drove it for 16 years to make good things happen for the family,etc. Watched odometer go around twice and a half and didn't want to R&R the master brake cylinder a third time, so it got donated to animal charity.
Daddy got new Haonda Civic for being Nice guy.
Rick
ViperAtl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 331 posts
AeroScale: 135 posts
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 - 04:57 AM UTC
Thanks Damian and Russell for the comments. And all of the other builds in this campaign are looking great.

Here are some progress shots. Almost there.

jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 11:37 AM UTC
All your builds are looking great, much better than my attempt. I've learnt a lot with this difficult little effer. Number one that 1/144 is really unforgiving!

I do have another kit of this which I will attempt at a later date.

For what it's worth here is my Shorts Sc.1
Koro Kamide Sc.1 1/144
Koro Kamide Sc.1 1/144

Thanks to Damo for taking on this campaign. I look forward to seeing the other builds finish.

All the best
JP
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 12:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks to Damo for taking on this campaign. I look forward to seeing the other builds finish.
All the best
JP

Always an honour JP with guys like you around to support the Campaign. Thanks for sharing your little rocket with us.

Cheers, D
JMartine
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 07:07 AM UTC
Rick – very nicely done and congrats on the finish.

Bjorn – Congrats on your newest 1:1 addition! And the Mirage looks very nice; excellent build!

Joe – nice detailing; that was a lot of masking! Looking good…

I have to finish couple things before I tackle my P-51Ds, including the old Testors that I will build for the campaign. I posted this picture on the Chekerboard campaign, but worthwhile to re-post in case anyone still doubts the “quality” of the Testors’ kit:

(Testor’s the one above):

In order from above: True Details cockpit resin details, Revell P-51D and Testors:

Here is the spread, parts have been re-boxed for awhile, should re-start in a couple weeks:

Cheers,
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 01:08 AM UTC
Nice progress in this campaign. I have worked quite a lot on my old Matchbox B-17. It is a nice kit although the details are of course very bad since this kit is 25+ years old.

I also managed to mess the kit up myself - I cannot blame that on the age of the kit. The exhaust stripes around the engines became way too heavy and I did not thin the paint enough so it became a solid black on the exhausts. I had to start all over again and patch it up and try to salvage it. I can live with the second result although overall I am not really satisfied with the look of my B-17.

The red looks more like dayglow orange in the pictures, but that is due to the flash on the camera.

I have now finished it as my entry into this campaign. The two bottom pictures show the final result.

Anyway, comments welcome.

First try:

Second try after corrections

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 02:10 AM UTC
Your B-17 looks great Jesper, I'd be happy to have it sitting in my display cabinet!! Thanks for joining us and sharing your work.

Cheers, D
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 02:52 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind words, Damian. I will also have it in my cabinet, mbut still feel I messed up a little.

None the less a great campaign and well run. If the last modellers get their builds finished it will be an awesome photo portfolio for this campaign.

Looking forward to see more entries.
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 06:40 AM UTC
Sorry for the reply without progress

I'm just would like to inform you that I haven't left my Meteor over

Update soon (I hope... )

Cheers Nick
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 12:13 AM UTC
Hi guys, I am sorry I've been lost from the site(and sight) for a while but life was wild around me. Don't worry I am working on my bird, and hopefully will complete in time..
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 01:01 AM UTC
Still strugling! Finally decided on the individual! I'ts going to be the ol' 259 with all them pretty killmarks!

I hope I'll be able to finish in time. Even though I only have some details left, I've come to know how difficult it is to find time when having two kids in the house... I'll do my outmost, since I really want that ribbon!

Cheers // PolarBear