Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Aluminium Campaign
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 01:08 PM UTC
Welcome aboard Philip, always great to see another Jug. The rules here are very simple, as I spelled out on Page 4 :

1: You MUST have fun with your build
2: Everybody owes me a cold Beer since I took over as Campaign Leader. I suppose I could add a clause to Rule 2, "If you're ever Down Under . . . ."

Cheers mate, and thanks for joining us. Please post lots of progress pics. Roll Call updated again.

Leader out . . . .
Philippus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 182 posts
AeroScale: 65 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 10:26 PM UTC
Thanks Damian,

Making a stasrt on this now should have some progress this afternoon.

Philip
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 03:25 AM UTC
Nice choice for this campaign, Philip. I just bought that kit myself, so I will follow your build with interest. Fantastic markings
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 07:37 AM UTC
Hi all,

My entry for the Aluminium Campaign is finished. I haven't weathered it yet but will do it later, in a few days, or weeks, or months, or...

Jean-Luc
Philippus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 182 posts
AeroScale: 65 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 12:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice choice for this campaign, Philip. I just bought that kit myself, so I will follow your build with interest. Fantastic markings

They're great indeed. I want to do another one so I can do both! It's not a bad kit consisdering the price. Detail isn't all that crisp and there is a slight bit of flash but I think it will build up into a beaut

Jean-Luc: Fantasic result. Your finish is flawless.

A little progress was made on the Jug today. The cockpit is complete and painted. Unfortunately you guys will have to wait untill tomorrow to see the photos

My camera has had it, I tried to get a few snaps on the phone but its useless or possibley just me;

Going to borrow a camera tomorrow and then you can see where I'm at!

Thanks,
Philip
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 12:57 PM UTC
J-L, superb job there. The finish and detail is excellent (as usual for you).

I am looking at the pics and thinking something just doesn't look right, then it hit me. Those big radials with just twin-blade props. It just looks all wrong after so many 3 and 4 blade radial kits!

It's a super build, and thanks a million for including it in this Campaign.

Cheers, D
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 02:01 PM UTC
Very nice work Jon-luc.excellant detail on the doors.And the work you did on the necilles turned out just right.

Build On,
Justin
Tobar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 192 posts
AeroScale: 70 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 06:11 AM UTC
Hello everyone.....
I never had enough time to finish my P-47 for the P-47 Campaign but now with the
"Aluminum Campaign"....I think I might be able to finish....
Here are a reposting of old pics.....
I hope to update within a week to my present state of build....

My "Powerplant"

My "Office"

My Project (I have sence change the AeroMaster decal set to SuperScale:Everybody is doing "Balls-Out" )

Removed by original poster on 02/17/10 - 18:19:54 (GMT).
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 07:17 AM UTC
Nice entry into the campaign, Jean-Luc. Nice clean bird.

Very nice Thunderbolt office and engine, Thomas. Looks very good.I hope real life does not interfere too much with your build this time around.
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 11:51 AM UTC
OK then,

I have one campaign completed and 4 others active. This one is the next one due and it looks like I have about 10 weeks (so I better keep it modest).

The time frame ruled out the A-26B Invader that I really want to do, and the Academy P-38 is earmarked for the twin booms campaign. So here's my plan:

I picked up a vintage Monogram AT-6 Texan kit. My hope is to breathe some life into it (in spite of the raised panel lines it has a lot of detail going for it.) I have some resin wheels, masks and a PE set coming next week. I've spent that last few evenings amassing reference photos so I should be ready to go in a couple of days.

I thought about rescribing the panels and decided that I don't want to spend that kind of time on this build, so I'll make the most of what Monogram provided me.

Cheers,
Fred
Ruffus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Guatemala
KitMaker: 343 posts
AeroScale: 111 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 03:31 PM UTC
I think that I am a little behind schedule here, when is the deadline?

Let's do some plastic.

Byron
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 12:16 AM UTC
Thomas, lovely work on the Jug so far, that radial looks very nice !!

Fred, welcome aboard and thanks for joining the shiny party. Excellent choice for your build here as well, more variation to the theme.

Byron, I was wondering where you got to ? You still doing the F-84G ? You have until April 30 for this Campaign.

Cheers Guys

BTW I just checked in on the enlistment page and we are up to 43 enlisted, with just over 2 months left to run. Welcome to werx07 (Jason), spongya (Andras), EmperoR (Metodi). Please let me know what you are planning to build so that I can updat the Roll Call (on page 4 of the thread if you are interested).

Thanks once again to all contributors here, you have turned this into a great Campaign.

Keep those progress shots coming guys.

Leader Out . . . .
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 11:29 AM UTC
Connie finished, my first 1/144 in a long time, and my next is also 1/144 a Handley-Page Hastings from Welsh Models (vac form and White metal kit)

oops look at that decal on the nosewheel doors

This has made a change from 1/48 scale and the kit is nice. Mistakes, only had Dural Alclad, looks a bit too grey, forgot to fill the top wing root joints and in Alclad it shows, decals are more numerous than almost any model I can remember, and some a very difficult to apply even with Microsol/set.
On the other hand Kristal Klear windows worked well and I successfully stretched sprue for aerials,
something I have only had mixed success with before.
Thanks Damian for taking this over, I have enjoyed the build and the thread

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 11:55 AM UTC
Hi Andrew, and thanks. I have really enjoyed getting involved here with you guys. It has also been good practice for some Campaigns I have initiated.

Your Connie looks great, especially in 1/144. It looks more like 1/72 to me, the details are so clear, and the civvy kit adds some great diversity to the campaign.

Congratulations on a really nice build, and thanks for sharing with us. The Campaign Gallery is open if you want to post a couple of pics there also . . .

Aluminium Campaign Gallery

Everybody else, we have 2 months to go now for this Campaign, and 9 builds finished already. Just a reminder I have been keeping the Roll Call (on page 4 of this thread) updated so check it out to see what's happening with the builds.

Cheers, D
05Sultan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
AeroScale: 258 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 04:10 PM UTC
Thomas- absolute beauty of a jug,shiny too! Andrew-I've truly never seen a better Connie than yours in any scale.People just don't want to take them on! you make it look like child's play!
Yes! I'm still with the campaign. My 1/32 Neuport 17 by Academy is almost ready for final assy and then stay/strut wire work. I'm looking for a wire product(stiff) that is basically snip and glue? Thought I read about it on Aeroscale a while back. Suffering from CRS (can't remember s**t),no name of product or mfg. Little help shiny mates?
Mucho TIA from the land of the big Fault Lines,
Rick
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 07:26 PM UTC
Thanks guys, you are very kind. Uploaded as ordered, sir.
Some time back I build a 1/28 Revell Tripehound in the master's (Werner Voss) colours. I got the colours wrong but I got the rigging right. I used the fine brass wire that I used to rig ships handrails. Florists sometimes sell it for flower arranging. It tends to kink easily so cut a length greater than you need. Grip each end with pliers and pull hard enough to stretch it slightly. This straightens it. Clip to length and fit into place.
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 12:18 AM UTC
A little update

Now needs to be paint with alclad

Cheers Nick
Ruffus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Guatemala
KitMaker: 343 posts
AeroScale: 111 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 06:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Byron, I was wondering where you got to ? You still doing the F-84G ? You have until April 30 for this Campaign.

Well, I get sidetracked by other campaigns, that and the fact that I can't get the foil to conform to the wing tanks, so I decided to use alclad in those parts. glad to see how this campaign got speed.

Let's do some plastic

Byron
ViperAtl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 331 posts
AeroScale: 135 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 06:35 PM UTC
Hey guys! Back at it after dealing with some projects in 1:1 scale around the house.

Here are a couple of shoots of the bomb bay with a full load. Will be slapping parts on for the final assembly and still have to paint some little bits too but getting there.

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2010 - 02:06 PM UTC
Hi all, there's some really good progress going on here. Nick, your Meteor is coming together very well, I'm looking forward to seeing the Alclad finish. I haven't used that product yet but I keep hearing and seeing some great reports.

Joe, you and me both brother, but my 1:1 project over the weekend was MOVING HOUSE for the second time in 2 years . . . but it's all done now, so first priority is to get the workbench functional again. Furniture and beds and kids can be unpacked later. I love the detail in your bomb bay, very nicely done there.

Cheers, D
Tobar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 192 posts
AeroScale: 70 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 03:46 AM UTC
Sometimes I wish I had my wife take over for me and submit my update...

Just a few pics, this is a quick sequence of pictures from complete unassembled to
putting on the final paint scheme before the decals go on...
I'm taking my time... I hope that produces a good product...

Hear is the Disassembled state of my Jugg....

This is ready for the Paint Shop... I'm using Tamiya and Life Color paints to accentuate
the Olive Drab on top...
(((((Note: I used Alclad Primer as base and Aluminum/Dureliam/Polished Aluminum for the NMF))))
I do not have any pics of the NMF process.... "duhhhhh!! on me"

Here is the cowling all painted and ready for a Gloss coat for the Skull and Bones decal...
(notice the shading of the two OD paints..... )

Keep moving forward......
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 02:30 PM UTC
Thomas,

That is are really, really nice NMF going there!

Ok, I took the short train to crazy town with this build. The original plan was to make a simple build with nothing too fancy.

Well, I started looking at the office suite of the AT6 (and realizing how much could be viewed from the open greenhouse canopy decided to jump in and start scratch building parts of the interior. I enlisted the help of the Eduard PE set for the Occidental kit (which fits shockingly well with the old Monogram kit). I then started reaching for bits of brass rod an evergreen sheet. I kept the kit control columns and side framing and built a new floor. I may have to make an executive decision to refrain from re-framing the wheel wells if I want to finish this in reasonable time (after all, there quite a few campaigns I'd like to finish this year!

Cheers,
Fred
ViperAtl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 331 posts
AeroScale: 135 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 05:37 AM UTC
Managed to get some work done on the Marauder last night.

JMartine
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 04:31 AM UTC
Finally catching up with all the great builds in this Campaign… so, many of my comments will be “dated”

David & Russel– congratulations on the finished products.. nice to see a IJN/IJA craft that are not over-weathered, salted-out, chipped…. Nice job!

Ayhan – That is one sweet looking F84.. love the finish job, truly a great build.

JP – neat little craft you have there, cheers.

Jean – Luc – Great clean build, lovely pictures, magazine-quality build. I like it a lot.

Andrew – Fantastic finish on the Connie… never done a civie before, but many good examples in this campaign.

Lots of great WIPs!
I will start posting some pics soon, of what I have done so far. I was building Revell P51D pair for other campaigns, decided to open al old Testors P51 box I had… detail is almost non-existent and very crude. Only way to build it would be “in flight”, so will try that for the first time.
Cheers all