Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Official BF 109 Campaign
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 09:36 AM UTC
I'll do the S-199 for sure!

Cheers! // PolarBear

Ps. What's a Me 109 campaign without a Spitfire countercampaign? Any interest?
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 01:24 PM UTC
Wow I must say I'm really impressed with you guy's ! Thanks for the support on this You guy's really came through on this one . So far this is who we have so far from the start .

Tuomas
Neil
Magnus
Steffen
Howard
Mark
Russell
rowan
Bjorn
Andrew
Frederick
Eetu
Tony
Nick S
Vance
Hermann H
Matt
Jesper
Terri

We have 19 names on the list !

Come on , you know you want , add your name to the list !
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 07:28 PM UTC
Signed, sealed and way too far to deliverydate. Plan is a K-4 backdated to a G-10, but boy will I be on the lookout for the stranger things.

Tony (Can hardly wait)
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 08:25 PM UTC
Come on Guys.

as Terri wrote, we are quite a few but only 7 have signed in so far. follow the link and hit the button

BF 109 Campaign

cheers

Steffen
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 10:25 PM UTC
Damn you all. I swore no more 109s. I've done a D and an E in so I guess an F.
Any recommendations for an F in 1/72. Fine molds I guess. But anything cheaper?
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 11:15 PM UTC
I'm in (officially, just hit the button).
I think I'll probably do a Finnish G-6 for starters, and then there's that AML 1:72 scale K-4 in the stash as well. And of course there's the risk of some more 109s making their way to my stash between now and when the campaign kicks off...

I'd also think the Finemolds "Friedrich" would be best option. At from what I remember, there's kits also by Italeri and A-model. I'm pretty sure there's some more. Can someone fill in if they know?

I wouldn't bother with the Italeri kit. I'm currently in the middle of building one as a kind of a "back to old-skool" project: straight from the box, no airbrushing allowed. It's not [i]that[i] horrible, but there's much better alternatives available. The fit has been problematic at some spots, the spinner looks way too squat, the fuselage bulkhead panel lines are almost works of imagination, main wheels look odd, etc.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 11:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... a kind of a "back to old-skool" project: straight from the box, no airbrushing allowed. It's not that horrible, ....

but you instantly thought it is better to help with some alkohol, didn't you

skol

I have so many 109s that I do not know which I will build ....... we'll see when we get started. Maybe I try to get a G-5/AS from the G-14/AS box to build Günther Spechts JG11 bird.

all the best

Steffen
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 11:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Damn you all. I swore no more 109s. I've done a D and an E in so I guess an F.
Any recommendations for an F in 1/72. Fine molds I guess. But anything cheaper?

J-P! Fine Molds are often ridiculously expensive but I recommend them anyway! On the other hand, I have seen them around £17 and that isn't that bad I think.

Here's mine as an inspiration:

And no, I am not rich or something, I just value quality especially in the light of what I am building right now!

Magnus

Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 12:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

... a kind of a "back to old-skool" project: straight from the box, no airbrushing allowed. It's not that horrible, ....

but you instantly thought it is better to help with some alkohol, didn't you

skol

Actually not, but I guess it wouldn't hurt either, as the tailwheel has snapped off and gone somewhere... Just when I got the sloppily fitting part in place and secured with superglue, it decides to take off.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 12:01 AM UTC
Hi all, I've just enlisted as Number 10, guess that qualifies us as airborne ! Now you had all better sit down. Not only do I not have a 109 in the stash, I've never built one. I can hear drink glasses and coffee cups being dropped worldwide hehe. I take great comfort in the fact I have a few months to scrutinise the spectacular work you guys have on display here and use that to select a good starter kit for this line. Any suggestions most gratefully accepted. I will be looking to get a 1/48 (possibly 1/32) for an OOB build.

I can feel myself fast becoming a campaign junkie, now off to research this

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 12:10 AM UTC
Hi Damian

For startes pic up Tamiyas Bf 109 E-4/7 ... one of the best and easiest kits to build! Some nice markings in the box and a lot more out there

all the best

Steffen

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 01:20 AM UTC
Button has been hit making me # 11

I have the hasegawa kit of the 199 older kit with fair detail , but the hobby shop has the tamyia e-4 in 72 scale for under 20 bucks which is a good deal so just might have to go with that one . Would like the 48 one but haven't been able to find one yet .
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 01:39 AM UTC
If you're going for 1:32 I can give you a tip of a Revell reboxing of Hasegawas 109 K-4. I haven't built it yet, but I've gone though the box repeatedly in desperation since this campaign is so far away It looks sharp enough, breaks down roughly like a Hasegawa 1:48-109 and costs roughly like one too. I guess the prizing is mostly due to the fact that there is no engine so the plane must be build with cowling closed. It also contains different prop-blades, tyres, wheel well top covers and dashboards, so it covers most of the possible variations.

Large Slace Planes has a review of it.

Tony
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 01:53 AM UTC
Hi again

@Eetu
Quoted Text

Actually not, but I guess it wouldn't hurt either, as the tailwheel has snapped off and gone somewhere... Just when I got the sloppily fitting part in place and secured with superglue, it decides to take off.

ouch ... best put it aside for a day or two .. and a good Bier cannot be bad either ... ( it is always bad to explain bad jokes, but I just played a bit with your "skool" aka "school" in some places )

@Magnus: very nice Bf109!!! looks almost 48 scale

@Terri: just a general question: do you explicitely keep out 1/24 scale .. afaik Trumpeter has done some stuff in that scale .. btw many of the smaller 48 scale Tamiya's are at 15.99£ at Hannants which is under 20 Euro at the present rate (=a good price here in central Europe) .. but I guess shipping it across the pond will more than eat up the savings, if there is any as I do not know how strong the Dollar is at the moment

@Damian: if you feel you want to do just a little historical reading, I can recommend Lynn Ritgers 2vols printed by SAM publications ..

all the best

Steffen
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 05:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@Eetu
Quoted Text

ouch ... best put it aside for a day or two .. and a good Bier cannot be bad either ... ( it is always bad to explain bad jokes, but I just played a bit with your "skool" aka "school" in some places )

Oh yes, yes of course. Jokes are funny, I get jokes. ... (like that FSM April fools joke that took me over two years to get... The "microscale" Tiger I, that was a good one!)

No alkohol was involved in that incident, the tailwheel just escaped overnight. The "skool" was just to emphasize the "old-schoolness". Similarly to expression "teh interwebs".
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 06:26 AM UTC

Yeah, i know I am a bad "typer" and while the "interweb" is deliberate .. that darn English article is something I cannot type correctly .. don't know why I mostly type "teh" instead of "the" ... and I do not even have to pronounce it

cheers

Steffen
P.S. hope you can fix da tail wheel
EmperoR
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 67 posts
AeroScale: 61 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 07:32 AM UTC
Hi all. I will join the campaign with Academy's1:48 G-14

Hopefully it will turn into this:

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 07:41 AM UTC
Hi Metodi

Well, maybe check the kit and a photo of the original of your profile. (I do not have the kit as I prefer the Hasegawa over the Hobbycraft kit)

IMO the boxart looks as if the kit has the tall rudder and long tail wheel strut, while the profile shows a standard early Bf 109G tail ....

all the best

Steffen
EmperoR
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 67 posts
AeroScale: 61 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 08:26 AM UTC
Well, i already have the kit and it is whit the old rudder. As an option it can be cut and replaced with the new style rudder. Actualy the kit contains two sets of wheels and some other optional details.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 05:56 PM UTC
Guys, once again I defer to your experience and knowledge. I have found 3 kits of interest locally and at reasonable prices, can anybody provide some advice as to the best option ??
Remembering this will be my first 109

All 1/32 scale

Revell Bf 109 K4
Revell Classics Limited Edition Bf 109 F
Hasegawa Bf 109 G-10

magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 08:33 PM UTC
I'm really a 1/72-modeller but a quick google shows that you can pick either the G-10 or the K-4, they are both (almost the same) Hasegawa kits (the K-4 is a Revell re-box). Avoid the "Revell Classic" at all costs, it is several decades old!

Magnus
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 09:14 PM UTC
Thanks Magnus, looks like price will be the deciding factor then. I will have an addition to the stash by this time tomorrow.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 09:35 AM UTC
Hi Damian

Yes - the Revell Classic Bf 109F dates back to the 1960s and is very inaccurate. It was a fun build at the time, but is now only really a nostalgia item.

All the best

Rowan
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 11:23 AM UTC
Thanks for the confirmation. Perhaps we should start a "Most innacurate kits of all time" campaign as a fun build.

Cheers, Damian

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2009 - 01:47 AM UTC
Hey D ! now that sounds like a great campaign idea with endless possibilties !!!