Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
P51 campaign proposal for 2010
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2010 - 02:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well I have jumped in with a Revell/Monogram P-51B/C, still waiting for the kit to arrive and I am playing with what markings that I want to use. I have the book "THE WARLORDS volume 1" by Barry & Ann Money. There are just too many to choose from, I love most and cannot pin one down yet

Bob

Great to have on Rob ! The Revell/Monogram kit isn't all the bad of kit and builds into a nice looking model . Looking forward to seeing you tackle this one
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2010 - 06:00 AM UTC
I have pinned down the markings to Clayton Kelly Gross' "LIVE BAIT". Does anyone know where I can get a set of decals for his P-51B

@Teri: Thanks for the campaign, there are so many good builds going on to help me with my own.

@JP: I did not understand your shame, your build was great.

Bob
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 03:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have pinned down the markings to Clayton Kelly Gross' "LIVE BAIT". Does anyone know where I can get a set of decals for his P-51B

@Teri: Thanks for the campaign, there are so many good builds going on to help me with my own.

@JP: I did not understand your shame, your build was great.

Bob

Just a reminder Rob , the campaign doesn't start until June 1 which isn't to far away .
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 04:31 AM UTC
Hello Teri:

I am still waiting for my kit to arrive in the mail, just getting ready. I will post a pick of the kit and a newspaper when it comes home to roost. BTW do you know which decal manufacturer produces the markings for "LIVE BAIT"?

Bob
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 07:04 AM UTC
Bob, I know it's tough. I had to open up my P-51 and look at the instructions last night. But the parts remain taped in the bag, just like the day they were made. You'll be able to hear the rip down in California when I open that bag in June,
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 07:52 AM UTC
Be careful Mark, you might create another earthquake down here I know what you mean, I havent recieved my kit yet and cant wait to tear it open

Bob

Quoted Text

Bob, I know it's tough. I had to open up my P-51 and look at the instructions last night. But the parts remain taped in the bag, just like the day they were made. You'll be able to hear the rip down in California when I open that bag in June,

Moeggo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 169 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 09:40 AM UTC
I'm in with a couple of Tam 48th B's!

Both will be built OOB and at the same time...

Plained schemes will be -

P-51B, 43-6704, "Hell-er-bust" flown by Edwin L. "Ed" Heller
P-51B, 43-6913, "Shangri-La" flown by Don Gentile
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 09:12 AM UTC
Terri, I just realized why I thought that the campaign was already in a go status, I was on the PIN UP CAMPAIGN thread and saw the P-51 spread that Allen Berry posted and being in sound mind I mistook that the P-51 Campaign had started I think that my days of multitasking are over so with that out in the open maybe one build at a time is in order (NOT) I have no will power the ability to not want to cut, glue, sand, paint, mutilate plastic is a disease that I cannot conquer So Terri please do not be to hard on me, I just cant help it I AM INSANE

BOB
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 09:20 AM UTC

Just getting back to Col. Anderson (Bud to his friends) He will be at Fantasy of Flight on April 17th for the Mustang and Mustang Fly and Drive In. That's in Polk City Florida and it is open to the public

Later
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 07:28 PM UTC
My Revell P-51B/C arrived today, Terri I will post a picture of it and a newspaper the day the campaign starts in June to show I did not succomb to the call of the plastic Hey Mark did I hear that box move a little?

Bob
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 09:44 PM UTC
I'm in and doing something for fun so as such I will be building the Hasegawa P-51 Eggplane (assuming this would be allowed)

I prefer the second ribbon as well. just thought I'd say as I noticed on the campaign page the ribbon hasn't been uploaded yet
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 03:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm in and doing something for fun so as such I will be building the Hasegawa P-51 Eggplane (assuming this would be allowed)

I prefer the second ribbon as well. just thought I'd say as I noticed on the campaign page the ribbon hasn't been uploaded yet

The egg-plane will be a very welcome addition to the Campaign , they are rather cute !

I have tried to up-load the ribbon but keep getting the red X over and over so I just don't know what I'm doing wrong . File name was changed but still the same results .
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 11:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have tried to up-load the ribbon but keep getting the red X over and over so I just don't know what I'm doing wrong . File name was changed but still the same results .

Just been looking through the campaign tutorial an this is the tip on ribbons

Quoted Text

One thing that seems to cause people problems is that some file viewers hide the file extension so they end up adding a second ".gif" to the file. Most file viewers have a "Get Info" menu item where the details, including the full name, are shown. Also note that the filename is case sensitive, so for example, "370.GIF" will not work; it must be "370.gif".

You could look into whether you have the file called image.gif.gif or check the case sensitivity. If you're still having trouble let us know what the file name is meant to be and I'll have a look can send you the image.
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 05:26 AM UTC
Hi Terry,

Well my entry into the campaign just arrived Now all I need is get ahold of Ultracast and Eduard for my AMS fix and I'll be good to go come June. I looked in the box And I think I am going to put a pilot in this one. Tamyia finally put a good looking figure in the box.

Later
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 08:05 AM UTC
Bruce, nice stash there. Cant wait to see your progress with the pilot, I am not very good with figures, my eyesight is a handicap in that area.

@ Terri: June is taking its time getting here

Bob
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 09:51 AM UTC
T minus 40 days, 10 hrs, 10 min here on the left coast....
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 - 03:40 PM UTC
Ive got my decals,kit and vector resin on its way I am ready.

Build On,
Justin
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 02:09 PM UTC

came today im ready.

Build On,
Justin
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 03:43 AM UTC
Starting date is getting closer .......are you ready !
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 04:01 AM UTC
The box is under my modeling desk, the wrapper is off and I promised Bob down in California that he'd hear me rip the inner bag open on the first.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 06:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The box is under my modeling desk, the wrapper is off and I promised Bob down in California that he'd hear me rip the inner bag open on the first.

13 days untill start up on the west coast, my lucky number Mark there was a small quake felt here (for real) so it must have been when you tore open the kit bag My kit is still sealed and on June 1 I will obtain a newspaper for a photo. Here is the kit as it sits.
Photobucket

Ok everyone there just had to be a follow up for the Bf109 campaign, we could not let them rule the sky's without any competition Thanks Terri for this campaign.

SIDENOTE: I have been looking at aftermarket detail acc. mainly Eduard for the P-51. In the description of the product each acc. claims to be for a certain kit. Does it really matter and how much adjusting is needed for fitting of photoetch to a different manufactuer? I did one (resin) for a P-40B/C in the past and had to use the dremel to shave down the cockpit bottom to fit. It was no fun. JUST WANDERING, HAD NOTHING BETTER TO DO.

Bob
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 06:46 AM UTC
Scrap. does this mean I have to spend meager modeling resources on a newspaper???

The parts are still in the bag, so that wasn't it.

PS, if you want a spread sheet of P-51 kits, decals and detail sets,.......get someone else to do it!
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 07:02 AM UTC
[snip]PS, if you want a spread sheet of P-51 kits, decals and detail sets,.......get someone else to do it![snip]

Mark, I really did feel the quake or maybe it was something else. Nope there really was one. As to you doing another spread sheet I would not put you through that pain again. By the way who's idea was that anyway? If need be I will FedEx you a newspaper for your starting photo

The question was Mark, how much addaption is there in using Eduards photoetch products to a kit not specified for its use. I have used resin and adapted that to kits, but never photoetch. As a matter of fact I have not played with photoetch. Ok enough talk I am ready to cutt some plastic, HURRY UP JUNE 1.

Bob
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 03:56 PM UTC
See, it's still in the bag!

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 04:21 PM UTC
Nicely done Mark, and your work bench looks so much cleanier than mine. I am impressed with your will power, I almost ripped open my kit several times. Even while taking the photo last night. . Now to figure which a/c to do up, so many to choose from. Bare metal is out since I had such bad luck at earlier attempts in the 70"s. I hear that Alclad is good but have never given it a try. Testors has metalizer also, but NOPE I am not ready yet. Can't wait to view everyones beautiful builds.

@ Justin, where did you get your vector wheel wells from?

Bob