Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
P51 campaign proposal for 2010
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 05:39 PM UTC
NMF is my reason for doing this campaign. Testors kit is no loss if I screw up. Long time ago I tried a Testors non-buffing metalizer finish. Didn't know about sealing it so by time I was done with the details and decals, most of the finished had buffed off.

Not nearly enough of an AM guru to say what details could or couldn't be used. Brass probably offers an easier medium to re shape for an alternate kit. But if the brass fits over or replaces a molded part you could be SOL. Resin seems a lot less flexible (no pun intended) many AM guys build their masters from kit parts, so a resin cockpit might actually fir the target kit like a glove and come no where close to a competitors fuselage.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 06:51 PM UTC
Mark, I will wait for June 1 to open the bag and dry fit the cockpit and see if I will need an AFM whether it be resin or photoetch. What the Hey, if I do not try something new my building will become stagnate. One of these days a NMF is going to happen just because it needs to.

Bob
ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 - 09:37 AM UTC
im ready, bags are open like I always do with a new kit, but its unstarted!
I already amassed my research materials and will be doing a scheme in dedication to my Grandmother, who passed the day I bought the kit.
Need to finish my corsair for the oragami GB then I will start this...

dragon 1/32 P-51d fwiw
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 - 10:17 AM UTC
@bob only place I could find them was a guy from Russia on E-bay. vector resin
only took a week and a half to get here.

Build On,
Justin
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 - 03:26 AM UTC
OK Bob, just over a week to go. You still have a long weekend to get all of the heavy furniture bolted to the wall so it won't fall over. The shock waves should hit sometime after 8 PM PDT on 1 June.

Terri:
Should we be posting build pics and progress reports here or are you going to start a new thread??
Do we know who's building what?
Put me down for a Testors-Hawk 1/48 P-51D Old Crow
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 - 03:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

OK Bob, just over a week to go. You still have a long weekend to get all of the heavy furniture bolted to the wall so it won't fall over. The shock waves should hit sometime after 8 PM PDT on 1 June.

Terri:
Should we be posting build picks and progress reports here or are you going to start a new thread??
Do we know who's building what?
Put me down for a Testors-Hawk 1/48 P-51D Old Crow

Yes Mark , I will start a new thread for this and yes progress pic's must be posted in that thread . I will do a list of who is building what when the time comes . I still don't know on my subject yet . Was planning on doing Tamiya's 48 scale B model with lot's of resin and scratch building , but I don't think there is enough time for me to have it finished in time , so I'm leaning towards a 72 scale kit instead .
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 - 04:52 AM UTC
This'll be my first acc.min kit and i'm really looking forward to it. Looks great on the sprue. Hope it fits as well as it looks and I can do it justice with the paint work.

It's the Acc Min. P-51. boxing and it is oh so tempting to try it as the all alu prototype. But that there is probably a can of worms. odd shaped canopies, intakes, panels, god knows what. But I am a sucker for a nice profile. We'll see.

Terry, 1/72 aren't any quicker, just fiddlier.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 - 05:55 AM UTC
[snip]OK Bob, just over a week to go. You still have a long weekend to get all of the heavy furniture bolted to the wall so it won't fall over. The shock waves should hit sometime after 8 PM PDT on 1 June. Mark [snip]

What furniture, you have furniture?

My box is covered and in the closet to ward off any violent vibrations.

Bob
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 - 01:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What furniture, you have furniture?

Well most of it is my wife's, she just lets me pay for it....
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 03:17 PM UTC
Almost here just have to button up my F-14 and I will be ready

Build On,
Justin
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 04:19 AM UTC
ok heres mine all neat and tidy in its bag...

extras include vac canopy,eduard interior bits(which i cant find at the moment)and decals for 617sqn P51.

paul
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 04:45 AM UTC
Nice Stash. Interested to hear about the quality of the ICM kit. I've never even bought one, no concept of the quality. As if my Hawk-Testors has any familiarity with quality.
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 05:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice Stash. Interested to hear about the quality of the ICM kit. I've never even bought one, no concept of the quality. As if my Hawk-Testors has any familiarity with quality.

the quality is good,crisp detail,a little flash but no-more than anyone else, the only thing thats not too good are the decals(very slightly out of register) but i rarely use the kit decals anyway, so it doesn't matter to me.
apparently...the tamiya kit and icm parts are interchangable.....
read into that what you will

paul
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 07:10 AM UTC
@ Paul, does the ICM kit have location pins? When I had the chance to build an ICM kit (Spitfire VIII), I found it a little more difficult whith no location pins to aid with assembly, still a nice kit though.

@ Mark, are you ready:-? time will be here tonight when the mice run up the clock. I will open the bag and let the kit breath.

Bob
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 07:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Paul, does the ICM kit have location pins? When I had the chance to build an ICM kit (Spitfire VIII), I found it a little more difficult whith no location pins to aid with assembly, still a nice kit though.

@ Mark, are you ready:-? time will be here tonight when the mice run up the clock. I will open the bag and let the kit breath.

Bob

it has location pins on some parts but not on others,i've no idea why.
assembly looks to be straight forward tho, so hopefully i wont have too many problems...

paul
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 11:05 AM UTC
Hi all, I've got a couple of builds I want to get finished before I crack into this one, but I am looking forward to watching you lot getting stuck in !!

Cheers, D
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 - 02:52 AM UTC
One more day to go guy's , then you can crack open them kits ...smell the plastic and be in heaven ! From what has been shared here so far there is going to be some very colourful 51's .

I also have some news for you as well . In a few weeks I might be gone for some time . If this is the case Justin ( keeperofthesouls ) will take over the campaign leading the squadron builders into victory . Will keep you guy's posted on this .

Thanks
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 - 05:44 AM UTC
@ Terri: Don't stay away too long.

@ Justin: Ok! boss no.2 keep us in line, you know how we get unruley when the boss no.1 is away.

@ Mark: I have my kit staring at me and ready to rip open

Bob
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 - 06:30 AM UTC
I dont want to put anyone in the corner.

Build On,
Justin
Griffon65
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 363 posts
AeroScale: 51 posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 - 07:14 PM UTC
@ Mark; I built a ICM 1:48 P-51D a while ago. It sort of looks like a copy of the Tamiya version, but out of all the 20 or so kits I made before I took a break from the hobby it was the most annoying model I had ever built.

The molding looked tacky and sort of wax-like with soft detail and the fit of the wings to the fuselage was terrible, with a huge step up from the wing fillet to the upper surface of the wing (the step was so big that there was a gaping hole) and a 1-2mm step down where the bottom section of the wing joined the fuselage under the nose. The cowling also fitted quite badly, as did the plastic U shaped bit that you attach the canopy to. The sprue that held the cowling was also a completely different shade of green-grey to all the other sprues, sort of more red than green.

All in all it has definately put me off buying another ICM kit. I hope that paul has better luck with his Mk III than I did with my D .

By the way, is it alright if I sign up after the starting date of this campaign? I really want to participate, but I'm still a bit undecided about whether I should join a campaign so soon after getting back into the hobby.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 - 08:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

By the way, is it alright if I sign up after the starting date of this campaign? I really want to participate, but I'm still a bit undecided about whether I should join a campaign so soon after getting back into the hobby.

Hi Dean. You can sign up right until the end date if you want to cut it really fine, and don't be shy about joining a campaign. I started back recently and found the campaigns to be a great source of inspiration and motivation, and an endless source of advice !!

Cheers, D
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 03:09 AM UTC
Hi Dean , Damian is right . Camapigns are a great way to get back into the swing of things . So don't be shy about having fun and sharing it with the rest of us nut's around here !

Looking forward to seeing you around the forumns more

Oh yeah ! We can start our builds now ........
jaeger8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gdańsk, Poland
KitMaker: 22 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 03:13 AM UTC
Hello everybody,

I am in. But I am not sure what kit,yet.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 03:20 AM UTC
Wow, I take 2 days off to hustle hot dogs at the car show and everyting goes out of control....

Terri, I hope it's nothing major and you're back at the modeling desk real soon.

Bob, I was going to post Monday's paper with my still unopened kit on it. But that will have to wait til tonight, with today's paper. Brace your self around 8-8:30 PM PDT!

Damian, the car show wasn't a complete waste. I got you some more BIG pictures.....
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 04:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bob, I was going to post Monday's paper with my still unopened kit on it. But that will have to wait til tonight, with today's paper. Brace your self around 8-8:30 PM PDT!

DITTO, I will do the same Mark.

Bob