Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Official Sea Plane Campaign Thread
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 02:30 PM UTC
Here is the build in a coat of old gold.

Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 03:07 PM UTC
Great builds everyone good job cant wait to see the rest.....

Build On,
Justin
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 03:31 AM UTC
Hi there

Well, I'll officially declare my change of entry - the dear old Widgeon goes back into the stack in favour of the new Silver Wings Seagull:

I'll try to get started in a few days time, once I've got some other things sorted out and made some extra space to keep three Review-builds on the go - GULP! I've got a biplane assembly rig on order that I think might come in handy on this beauty!

All the best

Rowan
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 03:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Can anybody help with a spare propeller(blade)?

Hi Jesper,

I received a bunch of spare aircraft parts from Spongya awhile back. I am not sure what all is in there but I might be able to help you out. If you could give me the basic measurements and all of that good stuff I can see what I have and maybe I will have what you need.

HARV

Hi Harv

Sounds great. The propeller blade is 18mm long and 5mm wide at the widest point. I hope something in your spare parts stash will fit.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 09:42 PM UTC
Well folks it is almost done. The rigging is completed and the decals are on. One note for anyone building this kit. Spray coat the decals with a clear gloss and let dry. Then cut each individual decal out with a sharp Xacto blade. The rudder and serial number decals are commendably thin but will tear badly without a gloss coat over them.
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 595 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 02:33 AM UTC
Thanks for the tips, Stephen!..its a beutiful kit youve put together there..
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 02:09 PM UTC
Chuck, the build is completed.

Once again my sincere thanks to Aeroscale member - owner operator of WMM, Mr.Peter Plattner for providing the kit for review.
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 04:32 PM UTC
Congrats Jack that rigging is awesome good job....

Build On,
Justin
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 09:01 PM UTC
Hi Stephen

Very nice job! I'd just pick out the exhausts to differentiate them from the surrounding paintwork.

It does look a gorgeous kit!

It's weird to think that I'd have had a grandstand view of the 1929 and '31 Schneider Trophy races from my house on the seafront at Ryde!

All the best

Rowan
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 02:30 PM UTC
G'day all, snuck a few mintues in on this in between playing gigs on Band Hero with my 7yo boy.

Got the engines painted and installed (please ignore the interior void, as I said earlier this is an exterior exercise for me)

And the wings on

I fitted the wings to make sure of minimal gap on top which left a small gap on the port underside wing root, but the starboard is a big issue with the lower wing half deformed and a large gap to contend with.

I will fill the gap with some thin stock and glue some scrap in the sunken area, then begin filling to rebuild the wing shape. (That is unless I get called back on stage with Josh )

Cheers, D
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 08:48 PM UTC
Nice start, Damian. There are definitely some fitting issues in this kit, but luckily it looks like they are on the underside.

What kind of camouflage are you going for?

Looking forward to see more.
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 08:40 AM UTC
Looking good Damian..the engines dont look bad at all, and Im sure that with the cowl in place and a prop in front, the void will basically be non-existant
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 12:57 PM UTC
Hello All,
Good looking builds going on around here. I read a tip about a product called Gorilla Super Glue, as it dries it expands to fill gaps and it you wait 1-2 hours (no more then that) you can scrape off the extra with a hobby knife. It seems to double to triple its amount.
I read it in a 2010 magazine. If you want to know which one, PM me.
Thanks for all of the photos and updates,
Cheers,
Bruce
HARV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
AeroScale: 79 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 02:06 PM UTC
Hi Jesper, did you give up on me?!

Here are the pictures of the propeller assembly that I have. Sorry to take so long in posting them.

I don't know what kit it is from and I don't know what scale it is. It is the only spare propeller that I have. I thought there were others but I was wrong. The blades are bigger that the ones on your kit but you can probably sand them down...or trim all three down and replace the whole propeller assembly. Anyway if you want it you can have it. If so just PM me your address and I will get them out to you in the mail this week.

Thanks also for re-posting your pictures of your propeller. Sorry for taking up your time. I was at work when I replied to you and my work computer blocks a lot of photos. So I didn't see that you had already posted a picture of what you had until I got home.

Anyway please let me know if this will work for you.

HARV
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 04:22 AM UTC
Hi all
It;s been bitterly cold in my workshop outside, but a few mild days has enabled me to make some progress. Lots of trouble with the struts for the floats, not sure if it's me being careless or it's plastic fatigue.
Photobucket
Strut supplied with the kit is top left, my repair is next to it and the two new struts are top right and bottom left.
Tried to repair broken strut reinforcing it with some 1.5mm copper wire. I filled down the wire to try and create a more aerofoil section. Used Araldite to glue the copper to the plastic, but the bond was very brittle. In the end replaced the kit struts with copper wire super glued to a strip of plastic card. Araldite mixed with the copper fillings was used to blend in the wire with the plastic strip again for a more aerofoil section. Looks a bit clunky, but it's much stronger. Could not resist dry fitting the top wing. I think I might have been bitten by the biplane bug!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
tim
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 05:46 AM UTC
Looks good Tim..did you do any re-scribing?
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 06:17 AM UTC
Hi Jim
Yes I did around the engine covers and the hatch just behind the pilot on the right side. Also the small cockpit doors. To be honest there is not the trenches that normally indicates panel lines on this kit, I think the navie that normally did the trenches for Matchbox was off on holiday when this was produced. This a great kit and I am really enjoying building this thing. I am going to try and acquire another for the winter wonderland campaign.
tim
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 11:06 PM UTC
Thanks for checking the stash, Randy. I knew I could count on you That propeller will be too big unfortunently, but I appreciate the effort. Nice of you to try and help.

Maybe I will have try and scratch build a new blade. Maybe twist the plastic over some heat or simply try bending it by hand.

Thanks for the effort
HARV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
AeroScale: 79 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 01:52 AM UTC
You're welcome Jesper. Sorry that I couldn't help you out. Oh well, maybe next time.

Good luck with your project.

HARV
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 02:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That propeller will be too big unfortunently, but I appreciate the effort. Nice of you to try and help.
Maybe I will have try and scratch build a new blade.

Possibly you could take the oversize propeller blade and carve it down to the appropriate size? The plastic will already have the proper bend to it that you can use to "guide your mojo" so to speak?
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 11:30 AM UTC
Hi Jesper

I've hunted through my old stash of wrecks and nothing comes close to that style of prop (and sadly I ditched a load of old 1:72 spares when I cleared out my basement last summer!).

Have you thought of moulding a new blade using one of the intact ones as a master? It'd be a bit of a chore, but quite do-able.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 11:35 AM UTC
Hi there

Just to give us all a bit of inspiration (or is than an inferiority complex!? ):

Scratchbuilt H8K Emily

All the best

Rowan
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 11:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi there

Just to give us all a bit of inspiration (or is than an inferiority complex!? ):

Scratchbuilt H8K Emily

All the best

Rowan

(speechless)
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 12:24 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments, Rowan and Jim. I think I will try to carve a propeller from scratch plastic. Nothing compared to that Emily!

I actually also considered buying another kit, but that seems a bit extreme.

Looking forward to get started.
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 01:43 AM UTC
Rowan...after seeing that Emily, I cant breathe..*gasp..wheeze....cough...all I can say is ..spectacular,,