Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Official Sea Plane Campaign Thread
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 03:44 PM UTC
Hello Randy,
Great looking build. What scale is it? Looks like a 1/72 or 1/96? to me. I do like your base, simple but it really makes your model "take off".
See you in other campaigns, Like the Blitz 3 Italy starting this fall.
Cheers,
Bruce
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 12:39 AM UTC
Hi all, it seems like I've been masking this glasshouse for a week, but it's done now and in place, next up will be a primer coat to get rid of those delightful colours.

Cheers, D
Grenadier37
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 232 posts
AeroScale: 155 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 06:32 AM UTC
WHAT! YOU'RE GOING TO PAINT IT!?

Damian, they come in TWO colors for a reason! It's so you don't HAVE to paint them, DUH.

Got to love those highly detailed, perfectly rendered engines...
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 07:49 AM UTC
I think you are correct grenadier. I have applied five coats of Halfords white primer to the bright yellow wings of my Matchbox DH 82 float plane and the coloured plastic is still showing through. I think they must have used uranium oxide or something in the plastic. I swear it glows in the dark when the lights are off.
tim
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 01:24 PM UTC
@Randy good job it looks good on that base.
@D that gap on the wing came along nicely good job.

Build On,
Justin
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 595 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 02:59 AM UTC
Looks good Harv
HARV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
AeroScale: 79 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 12:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thats a great looking wee plane HARV.

Thank you John-Paul. It is a tiny little thing isn't it!!

Quoted Text

Great looking build. What scale is it? Looks like a 1/72 or 1/96? to me. I do like your base, simple but it really makes your model "take off".

Thank you Bruce. It is a 1/72 scale kit. I would have liked a larger scale but this is what I found. I think 1/48 would have been a little easier to work with. As for the base I was kind of happy with the way it turned out. It was my first attempt at modeling water. I wasn't too sure what to use to place the airplane in the air but I think the clear sprue worked alright. Maybe It should have been a little more narrow though.

Quoted Text

@Randy good job it looks good on that base.

Thank you Justin. Even though it isn't the best kit in this campaign I didn't think it turned out too bad.

Quoted Text

Looks good Harv

Thank you Jim. I appreciate it.

Thank all of you for the kind words. As I mentioned above it isn't the best, but as this is a fairly new area of modeling for me it isn't too bad.

Thanks again,

HARV

Grenadier37
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 232 posts
AeroScale: 155 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 06:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have applied five coats of Halfords white primer to the bright yellow wings of my Matchbox DH 82 float plane and the coloured plastic is still showing through. I think they must have used uranium oxide or something in the plastic. I swear it glows in the dark when the lights are off.
tim

Well Tim, it's a special alloy devised by alchemists in the 13th Century and rediscovered by Matchbox in 1963. Originally intended to make armor impregnable to “dragon's breath”, it was found to refract light even through the densest materials. The Ministry of Defense attempted to use it as a “stealth” coating on aircraft and other equipment. But found, once applied, the coating had a tendency to cause complete blindness even when viewed from considerable distances.

So, as for covering it up…go with God my son.
Rogga
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 80 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 07:20 AM UTC
Hello again

Some more progress since last time , now the most of paint and decalwork is done , the lower wing

And the fuselage still with some small paintjob left

So now finaly it´s time to put things together and get it to look like a aeroplan
Hopefully i will have some more pictures to show in the weekend

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 08:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well Tim, it's a special alloy devised by alchemists in the 13th Century and rediscovered by Matchbox in 1963. Originally intended to make armor impregnable to “dragon's breath”, it was found to refract light even through the densest materials. The Ministry of Defense attempted to use it as a “stealth” coating on aircraft and other equipment. But found, once applied, the coating had a tendency to cause complete blindness even when viewed from considerable distances.

So, as for covering it up…go with God my son.

When I was a kid I made quite a few of these kits. Now I know what Mum meant when she came into my room and said "STOP PLAYING WITH THAT OR YOU'LL GO BLIND!!"

I was never really sure.

ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 11:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think you are correct grenadier. I have applied five coats of Halfords white primer to the bright yellow wings of my Matchbox DH 82 float plane and the coloured plastic is still showing through. I think they must have used uranium oxide or something in the plastic. I swear it glows in the dark when the lights are off.
tim

tim,you should have tried grey primer as that covers almost everything first time,i never use white for the exact reason you mention.

paul
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 11:36 AM UTC
I always prime my models with flat black, and if using colours such as red , blue, yellow, etc, I add an undercoat of white to sit under these colours..
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 12:14 PM UTC
Hi Ludwig and Jim
I think it was just my inexperience using the white. I do have a grey and black primer and should have used one of them. Chalk that one up to experience. In some ways I have been lucky in that there is no real detail: panel lines, rivets, on the model, otherwise they would have long disappeared under the five coats of primer. I have managed to spray some Vallejo aluminium on the wings and floats, seems OK. Will leave it overnight to dry before applying a second coat.
tim
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 10:27 PM UTC
Since the change to the colour scheme for G-AGES I've been putting off looking at it while I get some other builds finished.

But last night I needed some inspiration so I filled and sanded all my scribed panel lines as they wouldn't show up on Temperate Sea scheme ( I may draw a few of the more prominent ones on in pencil afterwards ) as the Sunderland doesnt show panel lines. I guess it needs to be watertight!
Also repaired the cockpit area a few bits had broken off when the kit was posted to me. And took the plunge and stuck the wings on.

Next up is cutting out all the engines and painting them up before putting them in the cowls.
Boy it feels good to get started on this.

ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 03:58 AM UTC
ok,
after a mammoth spraying session yesterday(3 builds)here is the aluminium finish on my schneider trophy seaplane,its quite hard to show because of the sheen.

the finish is a little thick in places because i tried a different brand of paint first,that was a total waste of time.however it served as a base coat and i sprayed vallejo aluminium over the top.
once dry in a few days i'm going to seal it before starting on the blue areas and rigging.

paul
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 07:13 AM UTC
looking foreward to progress shots JP..
Looks good Paul...how do you like the Vallejo aluminum?...does it have a good sheen?
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 09:02 AM UTC
Looking nice! Is that aluminium from the model color or model air range?
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 10:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking nice! Is that aluminium from the model color or model air range?

hi,its from the model air range and it really covers well,thats basically 1 coat of paint.
and yes it has a good sheen,once i can handle it i'll take it outside and photograph it again.

i really like the vallejo paints colour and model air,there so easy to use and give great results.

paul
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 11:44 PM UTC
How does it stay put without a sealer coat?
I bought a couple of model air metallics a few years ago, and for some reason they weren't waterproof when dry. An airbrushed coat of Future sealed them however, so I didn't have any real problems with them. I was just thinking that they have been defective or something.
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 12:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How does it stay put without a sealer coat?
I bought a couple of model air metallics a few years ago, and for some reason they weren't waterproof when dry. An airbrushed coat of Future sealed them however, so I didn't have any real problems with them. I was just thinking that they have been defective or something.

hi there fine without a sealer coat,infact i've put decals straight onto the paint without any problems but just in case my finger prints show up on the metalic i'm going to seal it first with vallejo gloss.

paul
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 03:58 PM UTC
Hi guys, now I'm finished with my 2 Skymasters for the BOOM BOOM Campaign I can focus on this build. The magnificent fluoro tri-colour parts have had a heavy mist-coat of Tamiya Neutral Grey as a "primer", because that's what I had on hand !!

A few little seams and sink marks have popped up and will be dealt with. There will be a couple of firsts here for me, I've never done any pre-shading, so those "superb" raised panel lines will get some black, and I've never tried "splinter" camo, so I'm going to go with the German winter scheme here

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 10:49 PM UTC
I'm back, a couple of hours at the bench later. The shaded lines are not too visible in the photo, they look better "in the flesh" and I'm very happy to have tried a new technique.

And yes, the slot in the middle of the fuselage is for the Cheesy Matchbox stand, I'm going the full nostalgia on this one !!

Cheers, D
discordian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 239 posts
AeroScale: 95 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 01:06 AM UTC
I almost shelved this one.
What an exercize in frustration this kit was - from poor fit right up to crappy decals I had to stick on with Elmer's glue in spots.
I'm calling this one done. Not my best work, but it lost the fun factor so I rushed through at the end. Maybe I'll start another seaplane in spring, a better kit, as there's plenty of time.
But for now, here's MPM's 1:72 Arado Ar 95 in Condor Legion markings according to the directions.

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 01:58 AM UTC
Hi all.

Scott, sorry to hear the 95 gave you so much grief. It looks good in the shots you posted !!

A bit more progress on my He 115, got the White coat on the upper surfaces and started masking for the Dark Green.

The Neutral Grey, Light Blue and White have all been Tamiya Acrylics, the Dark Green is Mr Hobby Acrylic from Gunze, and I was worried that it might not sit too well over the Tamiya, but there don't seem to be any problems so far !!

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 10:36 PM UTC
Smeee again, got a bit done tonight. Finished masking, making good use of a box of business cards from my previous job, then shot the green splinter camo. Very happy with the way the paint looks now, but MAN am I scared to start taking up the masking tape !!

Somebody please reassure me, it's going to be ok......... please

Cheers, D