Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Official Sea Plane Campaign Thread
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 595 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 11:24 PM UTC
wow,nice work there JP...im a sucker for resin....love it !
Eetu,thats a really interesting kit you have there....it certainly does have an anime feel to it ..they love their colourful flashy sprues in the anime realm! im looking forward to seeing it built up.

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 11:50 PM UTC
Eetu, very interesting choice. I have never seen this kit before and it will be an interesting build to follow.

I do not have the time to start my build yet, but I am still on for this campaign later in the year
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 06:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow Jim you really are in the zone just now.

Sometimes I feel like Im in the Twilight Zone JP..lol...
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 11:32 AM UTC

well,the cockpit is complete,all that remains is a coat of paint....
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 11:49 AM UTC
Hello All,
Looking good everyone.
I will start mine sometime in December as I recoup my strength.
Thanks to all of you for not only your photo updates, But also how you did what you did.
Cheers,
Bruce
Tigerbait
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 02:01 PM UTC
well ... a little progress ...

as you can see a yoke is missing ... must reconstruct and add some belts. I've done some test fitting of the booms to the wing ... not a pretty sight
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 11:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ps. Steffen, you up for that duel? The glove has been thrown!

I think I stay out of this.

all the best

Steffen

Too many projects going on? If you find the time, it would be nice to see you participate as well.

Some progress made again. Got the engine & it's mount and the beaching dolly assembled. Everything fit together as advertised, although some time went into filling ejector pin marks on the beaching dolly parts.

The cockpit components are about ready for painting as well.

The kit has the option of a blank instrument panel to which a decal is applied, or a panel with raised instrument details. I decided to go with the latter.
The fit of the two bulkheads to the cockpit floor was a bit loose, so I inserted pieces of thin styrene sheet in between to get them fitting snugly. Just to be sure, I trapped the assembled cockpit module between the fuselage halves to ensure the bulkheads ended up in the correct position.

Next it's primer time for the interior components.
:-H
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 11:55 PM UTC
That is going to be an interesting looking plane there Todd...I like what youve done with the insturments ...looking good! I like the lines of your chosen airplane...should be neat!
Eetu, I like those castings ...the engine looks pretty good.and I have an affinity for beaching dollies ...love em!..what colour will you go with for the aircraft on this build?
HARV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
AeroScale: 79 posts
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 06:44 AM UTC
Here is what I am going to be building for this campaign.

After I read the history on the airplane and learned that it was built to be transported, launched and recovered on Russian submarines I thought it would be a cool subject to build.

I have two other campaigns that I am currently finishing up so it might be a couple of weeks before I get started on it.

Thanks,

HARV
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 07:16 AM UTC
"Well then, I'll begin at the beginnin!"

Gloster VI

JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 09:09 AM UTC
Harv,a freind of mine built that kit and I have to say it looks really good when its done ..will you place it on a water base?
Stephen ...that is one fancy high end looking kit!...looks like it will be a dream to put together.. and what better seaplane to build than the schnieders cup winner..
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 11:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Eetu, I like those castings ...the engine looks pretty good.and I have an affinity for beaching dollies ...love em!..what colour will you go with for the aircraft on this build?

I'll be doing the color scheme seen in the film.

Quoted Text

Harv,a freind of mine built that kit and I have to say it looks really good when its done ..will you place it on a water base?
Stephen ...that is one fancy high end looking kit!...looks like it will be a dream to put together.. and what better seaplane to build than the schnieders cup winner..

I second that. An absolutely fabulous aircraft design, and the kit looks equally nice too. Talking of beaching dollies, funny how one isn't included. For a kit costing nearly 90€, I would have believed even a simple one was provided.

Edit: those dumb typos creeping in...
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 11:24 AM UTC
Hi there

I didn't think the Gloster VI was a Schneider Cup winner?

All the best

Rowan
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 12:58 PM UTC
My mistake .....thats what I get for looking and not seeing.....I thought it was the original spitfire ...oops...Ill be quiet now ..
HARV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 01:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I want to place it on a small water base. I have an idea in mind, I hope it will turn out like I picture it.

I noticed that I forgot to include the decal sheet when I took a picture of everything else. Oh well, that is what I get when I hurry.

Thanks,

HARV
grayghost666
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 04:19 PM UTC
Hello all,
Great Job Everyone. Thanks for your Photo's and updates.
And a special Welcome to:
Randy aka HARV, How many of my campaigns have you done so far? A few if I remember right.
Stephen aka JackFlash, Thanks for joining my campaign. With you and Merlin, I am Deeply Honored that both of you are in one of my campaigns.
Cheers,
Bruce
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 06:46 PM UTC
I've decided upon my subject for this one, but still about a week away from making a start. Looks to be a very nice kit, like most newer Hasegawa kits. Was hoping to have the motivation to do a 1/72 Roden Felixtowe...but i've done a lot of rigging this year and just am not feeling up to it right now. Maybe later.

Andrew
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 10:24 PM UTC
Hi all!

This will be my build for this Campaign;

The Classic Airframes J-2F Duck in 1/48!

The kit;

Proof of not starting too early, even if some interior work already has been done;

Not very many parts, but what´s in it is really good!

My option will be the machine on the boxtop, simply because it´s the most colorful one!

Cheers!

Stefan E
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 07:47 AM UTC
i done a bad bad thing.
I 've rescued a Matchbox Do-X from collectordom. Only a fiver. So I guess I'll have two massive planes to hide from
SWMBO now. A flying boat campaing wouldn't be a flying boat campaign without one.
I may actually enter it ofr the record breakers campaign as it held the record for most people in a plane. 150 odd in 1936!
Just stoked to have got one.
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 02:17 AM UTC
@CMOT- Ive got that kit in my stash also and its sweeeeeet!..Ill be following your build with interest .
@ Phantom- thats a cool looking kit ,and should be really colourful yes
@ JP congartulations on finding that kit...I feel your pain...I too suffer from styrene addiction..I was just looking at civil aircraft kits on the net .....somebody STOP me!
My update: I sprayed my interior yesterday with 2 tones and this AM I sprayed it with future in prep for washes ..after that its drybrush time and detail painting..
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
AeroScale: 289 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 03:23 AM UTC
Here's my progress so far-
-Got the trees soaked in soapy water for a day and let them hang to drip dry. Revell has a neat system for attaching one tree onto another for strength and protection.
-got the floats soaked in westleys and 3 odd lil holes filled...started cleaning up the white metal struts{this will take a while!}.
-got the interior started - I'm leaning towards a VIP transport plane where it'll have two rows of 6 seats for high ranking staff, instead of the side seats.
HARV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 09:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Randy aka HARV, How many of my campaigns have you done so far? A few if I remember right.

I have completed or are currently enlisted in four of your campaigns. That doesn't include your civilian aircraft or future Blitzkrieg campaigns!!

I am sure that there will be several more down the road.

Thanks,

HARV
grayghost666
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 10:03 AM UTC
Hello All,
A warm welcome to all of you newly signed up for this campaign.

At 2400, I will turn over this campaign to Jim McIntosh (JimMrr) as I have to get ready to go to Hospital. My surgery starts at 0700 Monday morning. I expect to be gone for 10 days. It might longer or shorter.
I hope that all of you have a good and safe week and that I know that Jim will take care of all of you.
If anything happens, Jim will be notified.

@ Randy,
Thanks for letting me know how many you have done. I must think of a special ribbon for you. Blitz 3 Italy should start in June 2010 and is open to any weapons or equipment used in Italy form 1943-45. Hint, Hint.

See all of you soon,
Cheers,
Bruce

PS I will try to pop on before I leave if anyone has any questions of problems I can help with.
BobCard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 10:15 AM UTC
Good luck tomorrow Bruce, I'll say a prayer for ya,

Just an update on what I managed to complete,

Had to show everyone my paint booth.
Thanks for looking,
Get well soon Bruce,
Bob