Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Lone Star 1:48 RAF FE 8 vac
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 07:31 AM UTC

I gotta tell ya Terri: Your attention to detail is fantastic. Scratch building the wings, the interior, just top quality work Terri. I am looking forward to more.

Best
Mark
agiosdimitrios
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Thessaloniki, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 90 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 07:32 AM UTC
Wow excellent and full detailed work you have done here Terri.
congratulations i cant wait to see more.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 10:17 PM UTC
Terri – Your attention to detail is fantastic on the interior – almost a shame to close the fuselage up!

Looking forward to more installments on this build.

Best Regards

Mikael
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 05:26 AM UTC
I have another up-date on what has been done so far . Okay , I may not be the fastest around here on getting projects done , but I don't like to rush and try to keep the level of detail the same through out the build . Wings will get the rest of the details ..such as pullys and strut mounting hardware once painting has be done .
Details will be added to the sides of the fuselage using Eduards lacing and other mod PE parts . The air scoop for the air pipe for the engine will be added later when it's closer to the final assemble stage .

Next few steps will be the details to the fuselage halves and tail fin/rudder more to come soon .........
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 08:11 PM UTC
Hi Terri,

Looking really great  – I can't get over how good your wings look, really impressive

Mikael
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 - 11:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Terri,

Looking really great  – I can't get over how good your wings look, really impressive

Mikael

I have to agree, look better now than before, and they were great then!
RAGIII
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 08:04 AM UTC
Thank-you very muck for the kind words Guy's .

I'm almost done with the details on the fuselage and the fin/rudder . I'll have pic's up later today or some time tomorrow once there is enough blood to match the coffee in-take
agiosdimitrios
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Thessaloniki, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 90 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 09:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Terri,

Mikael

i have to agree too, really great work Terri, please keep on rocking.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 12:57 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind words Dimitri

Details are finished on the fuselage sides minus the head rest . Need tofind a way on how to make this . I don't have any sculpting putty so if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ear's.

Tail is now finished with the fin and rudder a long with the landing skid . Since this the wings and tail assembly have been primed and I'm starting work on the tail booms and struts next . Then test fit ever thing and on to the painting !!!!

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 - 07:26 PM UTC
Another up-date here . The cab struts are done and fixed in place . The struts I made by placing a stiff wire inside brass tubing and flatten it in a vice and did a little sanding to the shape . The front mounting holes for the cab struts sat to low on the kit parts . These where moved up and the holes filled and sanding . I had to redo the lacing for the oil and fuel tank panels .

OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 12:50 AM UTC
Terri – this build just keep getting better and better

Best Regards

Mikael
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 03:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Terri – this build just keep getting better and better

Best Regards

Mikael

Thank-you so much Mikael . I'm glad a few of you folks are enjoying this build just as much as I'm .
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 07:43 AM UTC
Exquisite Ms Werner... nothing more to say
Greenonions
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 74 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 07:46 AM UTC
More than a few.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 11:15 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind comments guy's , very much apperciated !

Another small up-date .......

Landing struts are done and the wing struts . For the landing struts these were made with alum tubing with a fine steel wire and flatten in a vice with sanding to shape the ends . Wing struts are done the same way , but using brass instead .

Next comes the tail booms !

More to follow soon on a web site near you
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 03:17 AM UTC
I was able to get one of the tail booms done after spending over 4 hours on it . One more to go .......

So far I have found this to be the most frustrating part of the build so far . It did take a few attempts in the end I had to op for plastic rod . I do have brass rod which I found hinden away , but wasn't able to drill into it . So I'm hoping once the are installed and the rigging done they will be able to support the weight of the model over time and not start to sage or bow into some weird shape . The model is light , but the white metal engine does have weight to it .
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 05:42 PM UTC
I got one of the tail booms on the finished side . few more small details here and there and she's good to go . Still have another one to make up . but here is the one so far .
The center strut is alum rod with steel wire inside flatten in a vice and a bit of sanding to get it thinner and a bit of shape as well .

Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2010 - 05:10 AM UTC
Wonders if you had clamped the brass rod in a small clamp/vice along with some softer material like plastic to drill through first and as a guide as the bit entered the rod might have helped?

As for weight though, A carefully places trestle or groundcrew could act as an extra support Terri?

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2010 - 11:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wonders if you had clamped the brass rod in a small clamp/vice along with some softer material like plastic to drill through first and as a guide as the bit entered the rod might have helped?

As for weight though, A carefully places trestle or groundcrew could act as an extra support Terri?

Well , now you tell me this ! How come you didn't say anything sooner ? Never good to keep a blonde in suspense you know she's less inclined to make cookies !

Thanks Keith , I do have a vice , but how would you set up the guide ? And will a pin vice work ? Shouldn't this be done with a high speed drill ? I would rather use brass rod for the strenght . Of cource option 2 is a good one as well
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2010 - 05:37 AM UTC
I'd just clamp a piece of plastic or perspex in the jaws along with the rod and drill down through the centre...this is only theoretical btw.

I thought if you could get the bit started in the brass using the plastic or even perspex as a guide you might be able to drill through easier once it had countersunk the rod.

High speed of course would melt the plastic but hand drilled at least to countersink the rod may be worth a try first?

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 05:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd just clamp a piece of plastic or perspex in the jaws along with the rod and drill down through the centre...this is only theoretical btw.

I thought if you could get the bit started in the brass using the plastic or even perspex as a guide you might be able to drill through easier once it had countersunk the rod.

High speed of course would melt the plastic but hand drilled at least to countersink the rod may be worth a try first?

Hi Keith , drilling the plastic rod was easy . I start a pilot hole with a needle and then start the hole with the drill bit . I's drilling into the brass rod which I wasn't able to do . Tried to start a pilot hole . Worked some what but can't get enough pressure on the bit to drill the hole with out it snapping first .
modelhound
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 57 posts
AeroScale: 56 posts
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 - 08:42 AM UTC
Terri,
To drill the brass rod, try innealing the end of the rod first. Heat the end of the rod to red hot with a cigarette lighter. Let the rod air cool without quenching. The brass should be much softer now.

Mike
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 - 09:01 PM UTC
Looking pretty impressive from here Terri- super work!

I would go for reducing the load on the booms- as the engine is the heavy part, could you drill pins into the wheels, so that the wings and fuselage are actually self-supporting, and the boom is under no load (except for the minimal weight of the tail)?
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 04:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Terri,
To drill the brass rod, try innealing the end of the rod first. Heat the end of the rod to red hot with a cigarette lighter. Let the rod air cool without quenching. The brass should be much softer now.

Mike

Works for PE parts for bending , will have to give this a go and see how it turns out , thanks for the tip and the reminder
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 05:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking pretty impressive from here Terri- super work!

I would go for reducing the load on the booms- as the engine is the heavy part, could you drill pins into the wheels, so that the wings and fuselage are actually self-supporting, and the boom is under no load (except for the minimal weight of the tail)?

Thanks Ben , but I don't understand on " pinning " the wheels ? The wings and landing gear will be pinned in place , but how would this take the load of the booms ?