Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Lone Star 1:48 RAF FE 8 vac
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 08:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Looking pretty impressive from here Terri- super work!

I would go for reducing the load on the booms- as the engine is the heavy part, could you drill pins into the wheels, so that the wings and fuselage are actually self-supporting, and the boom is under no load (except for the minimal weight of the tail)?

Thanks Ben , but I don't understand on " pinning " the wheels ? The wings and landing gear will be pinned in place , but how would this take the load of the booms ?

I think Ben means to drill into the wheels where they meet the base Terri...so they are pinned to the base and up into the wheel vertically not thro the axle. this would hold the kit tight, it would of course require quite precise drill work but it would/could work well using as thick a rod as you could without breaking through the surface of the wheels.

It's good idea as it would effectively pin the model to the base and take the weight off the booms and tail.
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 09:23 AM UTC
Sorry I was a bit vague! Yes, I meant pinning the wheels to the base as Keith describes.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 04:49 PM UTC
Thanks Keith and Ben for the feed back on this . Yes now I understand what Ben was refer...to on pinning the wheels . I really wasn't planning un putting it on to a base . For one , don't have any thing to use . However, it is something to look into in the future . I have this habit of every now and then picking them up and having a look see .

I got the top wing test fitted and there are a few mistakes which I made on the measuring ( not a strong point ) . I cut on the wrong side of the lower right wing so the struts are mor inborn which is wierd

gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 04:37 AM UTC
Terri,
She coming along beautifully.Now that the hardest part is done she'll come together quickly compared to the time it took at fist.Looking forward to seeing what's in the next update.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 11:49 AM UTC
Thanks Gregory , Nice to see there is still an interest in this build
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 01:36 PM UTC
Looking good Terri. Got to admire your moxie for tackling one like this.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 03:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good Terri. Got to admire your moxie for tackling one like this.

Thanks Mark for the feed back !
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2010 - 07:23 AM UTC
Hi Terri

– Your engineering looks really good to me. Very impressive progress on a difficult build.

Mikael
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 05:18 PM UTC
Thanks Mikael ! I must amitt this is starting to be a very frustrating project indeed .

Today I spent all day in front of the bench trying to get the tail booms test fitted in place and the landing gear as well and having the whole colasp many times and yes - a few things took flight I finally was able to get it to the point where it looks not to bad , few adjustments to still make on the tail plane ( pins need to be shorten ) . So far things seem to be leveled for now .

Still have a few detail bits to make , but the worest is over now . Next will be tear down and painting will begin .
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2010 - 05:54 AM UTC
Terri – I really admire your stammina with this project. It has to be one of the toughest kinds of builds there is – a vacu/scratch build of a pusher-stringbag! And you're pulling it off beautifully

Keep it coming – you're nearly there.

Mikael
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2010 - 07:34 AM UTC
Outstanding work. As one who has struggled with a number of short run kits, I salute you as a true master builder. I am anxious to see how this comes together.
How are you going to rig it-all wire or combination or wire and monofilament?
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2010 - 11:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Terri – I really admire your stammina with this project. It has to be one of the toughest kinds of builds there is – a vacu/scratch build of a pusher-stringbag! And you're pulling it off beautifully

Keep it coming – you're nearly there.

Mikael

Thanks Mikael . It has been a good learning experience even though there has been some frustrating along the way . There is no reason to quit just because something didn't go as planned . Also have to have the feed back and couragment form members and friends
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2010 - 11:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Outstanding work. As one who has struggled with a number of short run kits, I salute you as a true master builder. I am anxious to see how this comes together.
How are you going to rig it-all wire or combination or wire and monofilament?

Thanks Dennis . The rigging will done with tiny wire hoops , q-tips and smoke invisible thread . More on this later when I start to do the rigging .

I'm getting anxious myself as the build progresses in it's stages , but I take my time and try not to rush things keeping the same level of detail through out the build , which would have not been possible with the help of a good frined Gregory -suppling me with the info needed for the build .
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2010 - 03:37 PM UTC

Terri,

Great progress since I last checked in. I'm glad to see you sticking with it, it's gonna be great!

Mark
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 03:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Terri,

Great progress since I last checked in. I'm glad to see you sticking with it, it's gonna be great!

Mark

Thanks Mark !
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 01:51 AM UTC
Hello guy's , the wings are going to be redone . The two different sets of 3 way drawings that I used caused some measurement issues for me and the tail booms not lining up like they should on the right side . And they are to think in cord . Morto follow soon .........................
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 02:24 AM UTC
Re-doing the wings! Wow, Terri. I do so admire your abilities, willpower, and patience. Good luck with the re-build!!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 08:59 AM UTC
Consider this; Mike Fritz IPMS champion use to scratchbuild at least 3 identical items and pick the best example for his builds. He is the fellow that the Mike Fritz award for WWI excellence in building is named.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2010 - 02:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Re-doing the wings! Wow, Terri. I do so admire your abilities, willpower, and patience. Good luck with the re-build!!

Thanks Guy . At first I wasn't going to do it , but the right side isn't right . I should have did a better job on the measuring of the plans . I see no reason to give up just because I made a mistake and will never learn or improve on my skills if I was to pack it all in .

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2010 - 03:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Consider this; Mike Fritz IPMS champion use to scratchbuild at least 3 identical items and pick the best example for his builds. He is the fellow that the Mike Fritz award for WWI excellence in building is named.

Hello Stephen

If my memory is right , isn't the Mike Fritz award the highest award an individual can win ?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2010 - 06:39 AM UTC
In my humble opinion yes.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2010 - 08:11 AM UTC
Hi Terri:

Good on yer for giving it another go. Like you said, you wouldn't learn if you just let it go. Like Sherlock Holmes said, the reward is the job, and you will look back on this and be glad that you didn't cut corners but took the time to do it right.
Carry on

Best
Mark
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 03:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Terri:

Good on yer for giving it another go. Like you said, you wouldn't learn if you just let it go. Like Sherlock Holmes said, the reward is the job, and you will look back on this and be glad that you didn't cut corners but took the time to do it right.
Carry on

Best
Mark

Thank-you very much for the support Mark , it's a great motivation to succeed on improving !
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 03:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In my humble opinion yes.

Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 05:57 AM UTC
You just have to, I know...once you know something is wrong..try ignoring it doesnt work...in the end you know it has to be done so good on you for taking the brave pill and rising to it Terri

K