Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Anti-Shipping Campaign
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 05:30 AM UTC
Greetings everyone,

I really enjoy seeing the progress of anti-shipping models. As always the quality of work is excellent. I started the other night on my OS2U Kingfisher.

This is the first time I have built the land based version. Removing the floats was easy but figuring out the holes to be opened for the landing gear was a little harder as the instructions were vauge. Spent last night cleaning seams and a little flash from it.

It will be modeled to represent an aircraft from Inshore Patrol Squadron VP-44 based in Dutch Carribean 1942.

All the best,
Brian
611_sqd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 99 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 08:30 AM UTC
Interesting choice. Unusual looking plane. Great visibility, but I think i'd just want to go hide in the corner if any Zero's showed up.
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 388 posts
AeroScale: 225 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 09:32 AM UTC
I'd have to agree, the pilot is looking very vulnerable in that picture. I wonder how agile it is?
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 11:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think i'd just want to go hide in the corner if any Zero's showed up

Especially if I was in the Caribean at the time.

Must have been very scary out in the Pacific droning along in one of those looking for downed pilots or attacking carriers and seeing a Zero drop by.
KrisMax
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 10:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Simon, thanks for joining the fun. Either I'm losing my marbles (no comments thanks guys) or you're building something stealthy, 'cos I can't find a post where you nominated your build for this Campaign. Wotcha got planned for our viewing pleasure ??

Cheers, D

Damo, Perhaps I was a little cryptic in my last post (a polite reassurance that you are still sane). I'll be building the same kit as Martin, namely the Acc Min SDB-3 Dauntless navy dive bomber from USS Lexington.

Simon
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 10:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Damo, Perhaps I was a little cryptic in my last post (a polite reassurance that you are still sane).

Ok, I just read your last post and your reassurance might be misplaced, I am totally loopy ! Here I am trawling through pages of posts to see what you are building after you just told me. I need a beer.

Ok, Roll Call duly updated, you have permission to start when ready !!

@Sean, great work on the tin fish and its trolley, very nice indeed !

@Brian, off to a great start on the Kingfisher there sir, I'm looking forward to your progress pics.

@Rob, beautiful work on the Swordfish mate. I'm eternally jealous of you guys that have rigging under control. One day maybe, I'll get a grip on it.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 03:55 AM UTC
Painted up my "tin fish and its trolley" last night, but Testor's "Wood" on the plywood pieces came out an awful pink color to my eye , so more touch-up tonight before final photos in the daylight tomorrow. My plan is to tone that down to mostly gray, assuming the wood is unfinished and affected by the sea air, etc.
Also, I had the same first thought on those Kingfisher photos-- they look more like they're on a Sunday drive in a convertible, not in a war zone. I realize airplane skin isn't thick, but all that plexiglass sure makes one look exposed. Cool subject!
And, Martin, you sir do fantastic work. Just awesome.
thanks,
Sean.
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 04:44 AM UTC
Quick question: has anyone an idea what color Royal Navy Sea Eagles would be?

I've seen white with dark gray heads, all over light gray and an all over dark gray but I'm not sure.
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 11:22 AM UTC
Hi All,

Laid a little paint on the interior of the Italeri {re-boxed Accurate Minatures} TBF-1c, while waiting for some drying and setting of filler on the 350 scale USS Franklin consignment build.

The progress so far.

Undecided as to which decal option to apply to this bird as they are listed below:

A: USS Natoma Bay
B: USS Mission Bay
C: USS Block Island
{Option C was the Accurate Miniatures option for an Atlantic Scheme}
D: RNZAF
E: RNFAA Tarpoon Mk I
F: USS San Jacinto

With exception of options C and E all these are the Tri coloured scheme.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 04:57 PM UTC
Final touches are done. I think that does it. Photos for the gallery in the sunshine tomorrow.
Here's how she stands tonight:
FinalSide-20110225-2235
FinalFront-20110225-2233
This has been a fun build. It should be my 3rd ribbon, assuming I dotted all my i's and crossed all my t's as far as campaign rules.
Now it looks like I'll watch Rob do it the right way , and I'm on to the next campaign (and eventually to the Hangar Queen campaign that I'm running).
thanks,
Sean.
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 04:12 AM UTC
A bit of an update on the Buccaneer. I've joined the main fuselage and attached the large tail wing. There was a prominent gap between the main body and the tail that I've had to fill and some there is also some gaps on the fuselage which you can see in the picture below.

First though, the Buccaneer beside a Harrier GR.5 to give it a sense of size. The Sea Eagles are beside both, they're pretty hefty missiles.

And two side views showing the gaps and seams along each side.

bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 04:41 PM UTC
Greeting everyone,

Nice work on the TBD and SBD you can't have an anti shipping campaign without them! I'll be watching that Buccaneer with interest also.

I'm about ready to apply primer to the Kingfisher. I put most everything together as it's a really simple build with good access. I did add a couple things to help busy it up. I built an instrument panel from sheet plastic. I added the radar oscillascope from a monogram P-38 in the radio operators area since it was a little sparse and it kinda looks like radio stuff. Last I added a more appropriate skate rail for the rear machine gun and built a rather crude gun sight from wire for it.
In the end it will be armed with two depth bombs from an accurate miniatures set.

All the best,
Brian

611_sqd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 02:38 PM UTC
Decals are on and learned some new things there. I made the Airfix Mig-15 last year and it was a blast. Everything fitted well and the decals went on great. They were printed in Italy I think. With the Ju-88 being older I think the decals are also older. The tail decal goes over the gap between the rudder and tail. I had it sitting nice but as it dried overnight it pulled part of the decal out of place. This might not have happened with the newer decals, but anyway. I think in future I will cut decals if they are to cross that sort of area and apply each separately.

weathering tomorrow and pics posted to finish this puppy off.

Looking forward to the Zestorer build now and doing my Fine Molds Me-410. By all accounts it seems they are nice little kits which won't give me an ulcer.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 07:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The tail decal goes over the gap between the rudder and tail. I had it sitting nice but as it dried overnight it pulled part of the decal out of place. This might not have happened with the newer decals

Hi Aaron. You could carefully slice through the decal along the gap now and apply some softener and it should settle nicely into the gap for you. Even some warm water could do the job. I'm glad you persisted through this build, as a few guys have said to me it's better to have a finished but imperfect build than to have an unfinished kit still in the stash.

Quoted Text

Looking forward to the Zestorer build now and doing my Fine Molds Me-410. By all accounts it seems they are nice little kits which won't give me an ulcer.

Good man, looking forward to that one !

@Brian, great progress on the Kingfisher, paint stage already !

@Vertigo, you have some sanding in front of you there for sure, but it's a very nice looking aircraft so it will all be worth the effort.

@ Sean, Excellent job on the Avenger, especially the scrathcbuilding on the tin fish. Thanks heaps for sharing your build with us here.

Cheers, D
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 11:04 AM UTC
Well its been pannel lined, grey and green on and tomorrow will be masked up for the bat to be sprayed on Then just a few decals and the nightmare will be over. I'll get some pics tomorrow
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 01:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Then just a few decals and the nightmare will be over.

Are you calling my Campaign a nightmare Sam ? I'm all hurt and bewildered now, if I wasn't at work I would go get a drink to calm my shattered nerves

Seriously, looking forward to seeing some paint on that unit !!

Cheers, D
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 11:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Then just a few decals and the nightmare will be over.

Are you calling my Campaign a nightmare Sam ? I'm all hurt and bewildered now, if I wasn't at work I would go get a drink to calm my shattered nerves

Seriously, looking forward to seeing some paint on that unit !!

Cheers, D

Of Course not D the campaigns are great ideas and I can't wait for you to submit some more its just that I picked the wrong kit that has turned into a personal nightmare and has nearly gone on a early test flight into the wall several times I'll post some pics later when Allen get off his backside and digs the camera out
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 03:14 AM UTC
Been slowly working away at the Vinicator this week. I finally got the engine finished and the cowling built and installed.

It sure is an odd shape to the front end

I've also finally installed the instrument panel and the DF loop antenna in preparation for the cockpit glazing

Once some final weathering to the cockpit is done I'll start to attach the canopies but I fear there maybe some fit issues (no surprise there) after a quick dry fitting

As always comments and suggestions are welcomed
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 04:58 AM UTC
After argueing over using the workbench and airbrush today Ive got further on with Dora

(yes Ive been a busy bee)
KrisMax
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 12:02 AM UTC
Allen, The engine and cockpit look great. I'm guessing that's the Acc Min kit? looks well detailed. I need to add it to the stash.

Sam, Are you painting that bat thing on the front of your B-25? Can't wait to see how it turns out.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 12:12 AM UTC
Looks like it might be time for "HIS" and "HERS" workbenches and airbrushes ??

Great work guys, both builds are coming along really nicely. I just hope it's not causing too much domestic disharmony

Current state of play at the half-way point (4 months to go):
50 enlisted, 24 active with 11 of those completed so far

I'm VERY pleased with the participation in this campaign, thank you all !!

BTW I took my S.79 along to my club meeting last week and our camera guy got some good pics for our website HERE

Cheers, D
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 01:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great work guys, both builds are coming along really nicely. I just hope it's not causing too much domestic disharmony
Cheers, D

...and don't forget cameras, too!
-Sean.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 05:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers, D

...and don't forget cameras, too!
-Sean.

We already have his and hers cameras, but I think Sam prefers my photography skills
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 09:46 AM UTC
My cameras better though Also have his and hers airbrushes but I tend to grab the nearest one

I'll post some pics of the nose as I have sprayed the bat on and just got the decals for the bat outline and details on the nose so its looking a bit better Just really need to get the last few decals on, matt varnish and attach undercarriage, bombs and guns then its done
611_sqd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 01:03 PM UTC
Okay this bird is done.

Damian I agree. I spent the money on it so why not finish it. It show cased for me areas I need to improve so it was a total learning model. For my first public displayed campaign model did I want it to be better? Of course. No one wants to put out something they know isn't a true reflection of our talents. But that's just the luck of the draw. It is a very old kit with amazingly bad fit issues. Some things I thought of how to fix AFTER I had already done it. But hindsight is 20/20 but that's ok I don't think I will be doing many kits as bad as this one and the new Airfix kits I have made have been a decent go. I totally recommend the Mig-15 in 1/72 if you want something quick, fun and stress free. Mine went together like a treat.

Here is the beast. I want a Ju-88 for my shelf but it won't be this one. I will give the Hasegawa one a go maybe later this year. The mailman brought me my Fine Molds Oscar and the Special Hobby Romeo Ro57bis which I may make in the Zestorer build as its an Italian equivalent along with the Fine Molds Me-410.

Two pics A overall and a closeup on some of the weathering I did.