Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Anti-Shipping Campaign
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 - 04:17 AM UTC
Torsten, that is some fantastic work. You're making this campaign look really good, while I'm just fumbling around over here.
As for mine, I didn't like my first try at the paint scheme on my Avenger, so I'm hitting some spots again. More photos in a day or two. I'm getting antsy to get the broad painting finished.
-Sean.
611_sqd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 99 posts
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 - 05:25 AM UTC
Today I am working on the only real part of modeling that I just do not enjoy ever. Masking. Its the one thing I always want to put off. Get it done today and tomorrow the upper side green can go on.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 - 08:57 AM UTC
Thanks for your comments, guys! This is my first bomber since I started using the airbrush in 2006.

@Aaron
Hmmm, it looks as if you are not really satisfied with you campaign build, though from what I can see you did quite well fighting all these problems with the old Airfix kit. Don't loose faith in your skills! As far as I know in 1/72 the Ju 88 is also in the program of Italeri and Revell, thought that's also a really old form. And not to forget the new Hasegawa jewel. Maybe next time you spend a little more money and give it a try.

@Andrew
Well, I don't like filling, though I do it if neccessary. Sanding is okay and fine as long as it doesn't end in a "sanding battle" like on this Do 217. That's why I prefer Hasegawa and Tamiya .... And your "Katie" looks great! I have built the same kit but in a slightly different camo. Let's fly together!

@Sean
Don't worry about your build, mate! Your Avenger looks fine already from what I can see. And in the end you will also be proud of what you made!

@Damian
Thanks also for your comment, oh glorious campaign leader! I still can see most of these fitting problems, especially those with the clear parts .... But I'm quite happy with my "big Do" now. It will fly around some expos in Germany and Switzerland this year. Yes, the Hs 293 must have been a harmfull weapon, if it hit the target right as in the photo below. That's a perfect hit, you can't do any better! In this amazing photo we see the USS Savannah hit by a guided missile (or bomb) during "Operation Avalanche", the landing at Salerno in 1943. The attack was flown by a Do 217. The USS Savannah didn't sink though but had to leave for Malta with heavy battle damage. About 200 sailors lost their lives in this attack ....

There are 3 more camaigns for me this year so far (Zerstörer, P-40 and Corsair) and I think we will cross our airbrushes in every one of them, Damian
So good luck to all of you with your build here. I will stay tuned ....

Happy modelling
Torsten
611_sqd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 - 01:21 PM UTC
Its true that Airfix is testing my patience for sure lol but masking is just not my friend. Constructing is for the most part fun, Painting I love. Painting is my biggest thing. The masking though is just tedious.

I will be giving the Hasegawa a go. I looked at it the other day and it comes with a anti-shipping version as well.
SUNDON
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 158 posts
AeroScale: 155 posts
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 - 11:58 PM UTC
More progress made .

Had to add some styrene to the air brakes as some gaps would be left after there instalation.

Compleated the engine as there wasn't much to do.

Getting ready for some paint just a quick clean and a check to make sure nothing has been missed.

Really enjoying this campaign there's some great builds being finished.

Thanks

Martin
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 03:57 AM UTC
@ Martin: looking good. I've got the AM SBD-1 in the stash somewhere now I have to make time to get to it....

@Torsten: I just now paid attention to the base your model is on. That's excellent, do you have more photos or how to build it tips?
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 10:55 AM UTC
Ta Da can't wait to get to the spraying stage

Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 10:57 AM UTC
Been working away on the Vindicator for the last few weekends and finally got the fuselage buttoned up and the wings on. I've also started with the etch flaps which I think may be a partial cause to my fit problems

As always comments suggestions and critique is always welcomed
611_sqd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 12:26 PM UTC
First top color on. A dark green. The next trip is masking the camo and then the black green.

611_sqd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 07:29 AM UTC
Masking done, Now its time for the black green coat, which isn't much darker than the dark green. They are different just not drastically so. I am hoping they will show up fine.
611_sqd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 12:38 PM UTC
Camo finished. Masks have to come off in a couple of places. Tomorrow a coat of Future.

windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 01:33 AM UTC
Looking good, Aaron. Maybe your masking is done for this one?

My Avenger is back on track (busy with kids' birthdays last week). I'm down to painting details, with decals soon to follow. Sorry the light was low when I took this photo-- the others were even darker-- so the different blues are hard to make out:
lastpainting-20110216-2206
Decals are next-- the part I love the most, because that's when it springs to life. Having said that I had several of these kits, I noticed on the first one I built that the decals were not opaque by any means, so I might double up two sets on this one. The Avenger I have saved for the Midway build can lend its later decals to this one, and I'll buy earlier decals for that one.
thanks,
Sean.
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 01:55 AM UTC
Aaron,

Mean looking 88 you got there!
I share the same problem of upper camouflage greens that you mentioned.
Ever since my Gunze Black Green stash ended, I've been trying other brands but all give a high indistinct shade from the base 71.
Any hints on what RML 70 you used??

Thanks

Pedro
611_sqd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 02:48 AM UTC
@Sean: YES no more masking. I have to get better at it, its just the job I dislike most. I am doing a Corsair in the white with 2 tone blue as well so I am watching your Avenger as some of the stuff I need to do is similar.

@Pedro: I found myself in a bit of a grey area with the paints. I use Tamiya as I like them. I think Humbrol might be more accurate but I have had lots and I mean LOTS of trouble with Humbrol paint being too thin. No matter how much I stir I think the paint seperates in the tin and just isn't remixing enough.

So after realizing I had opened a can of worms with what I thought was a simple question "What greens are on a Ju-88" it came down to maybe a light green with the black green, but that was too far out in contrast. So I went over the tamiya numbers suggested but dark green and black green ended up being VERY close. There was a difference that you could see but it wasn't much.

So after buying the paints I was going to use I decided not to. Won't be wasted i'll use them on something else I am sure. So here is what I did. I found a dark olive green which looked in the same ballpark as the lighter color so went with that. The black green is really cool but its more black than green. So what I did was took Japanese navy green which is a very nice dark green and I added a third of German Dark Field Grey to it. This darkened it down. Its not a perfect solution by a long shot and I am sure that there are colors out of the bottle that are accurate. Mr Color has a good rep and range apparently but can be hard to get. At least I have not seen it at any store here. Humbrol has a nice range but I can't get them to work for me. There is the ones in the bottle not Testors, can't think of the name right now. They are not bad. I did a RN Corsiar with them and it sprayed nice. Only thing with them is the paint when hardens on the top can make it so tight you need plyers to open them.

breakfast then the future coat. I was going to weather then decal but decided to decal then weather.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 03:14 AM UTC
Aaron, you're putting some pressure on me. Actually, I think my 3-color blue scheme (counting white as a color?) is okay now. I originally followed the Academy instructions, but that didn't extend the intermediate blue of the fuselage sides under the mid-wing that actual plane photos (and the box art) show, so I added more paint after I had thought I was finished. The Corsair being low-wing and not an Academy kit, you shouldn't encounter that little hassle.
I monkeyed with one of my photos to lighten it up. Now you can see the side door open. Also, the kit canopy is VERY thick and obscure, so my decision not to put any effort into the cockpit (except seatbelts) paid off.
assemblynearend_correctedpic
-Sean.
SUNDON
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 158 posts
AeroScale: 155 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 10:38 PM UTC
A quick update,

I don't usually do this much pre shading but I thought I'd give it a try.

Some paint added, so far so good.

A quick touch up and now two coats of Klear.

Now ready for some decals.

Thanks for looking

Martin
611_sqd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 02:54 AM UTC
This was the first time I used future to attach the canopy. I heard about this idea last year and thought i'd give it a go. You put future in the same place you would put the glue. Hold the canopy down on it for a few seconds and then go around the edges. So far its stayed fine.
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 388 posts
AeroScale: 225 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 04:45 AM UTC
Would a Royal Navy Blackburn Buccaneer fitted with Sea Eagles be a valid entry for the campaign?
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 09:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Would a Royal Navy Blackburn Buccaneer fitted with Sea Eagles be a valid entry for the campaign?

Hi Vertigo. Absolutely yes, the Buccaneer was specifically designed for Anti-shipping duties, and the Sea Eagle was definitely a dedicated anti-ship missile.

If you should decide to join us, don't forget to sign up HERE and check all the Rules and Regs.

Cheers, D
611_sqd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 10:11 AM UTC
RN Buc was one of the first kits my dad made for me when i was a kid. Awesomely ugly plane but very very cool.
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 388 posts
AeroScale: 225 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 10:13 AM UTC
In that case I'll be happily enlisting with a Buccaneer S.2D in 1/72.

I'll try and get some pics of the kit up tomorrow.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 10:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

[
@Torsten: I just now paid attention to the base your model is on. That's excellent, do you have more photos or how to build it tips?

@Mark
Sorry for the late answer but I had only little time in the last days. The base is manufactured by a friend over in France. He is also sometimes having a look on Aeroscale. His name is mark58 and you may have a look on his webside:
http://www.mark58.oxatis.com/PBCatalog.asp?CatID=419283
Have a look through the pages! Text is in english, french and german. Marc ships worldwide. The base I used for my Do 217 is the biggest he can offer. I have nearly 20 different bases from him all in 1/48. I use them not only for taking photos but mainly for presenting my models on expos. With some figures on it and maybe a small car the whole scenery "becomes nearly alive". At the moment I'm working on the Opel Blitz Fuel Truck from Italeri. Should suit well to my "big Do".

@Aaron
I had the same problems with my upper camo of RLM 72 and RLM 73. The difference between both greens is there but hardly visible. The difference between RLM 70 and RLM 71 should be a little better. It looks good on your Junkers.

@Pedro
I use Agama colours for Black Green RLM 70/Dark Green RLM 71 for my models. They are very good! The colours are produced in Czech Republic and probably hard to get in Portugal. Even here in Germany there is only one dealer who sells them. If you don't get them at your place, this is the webside of the dealer over here (sorry, all in german):
http://www.ts-modellbau.com/armor/start.php
The first 2 colours on this page are what you are looking for. But if you get Revell colours easier you may try Dark Green 39 (RLM 71) and Black Green 40 (RLM 70)

@all
Some fine models you have built so far. Keep it going!

Happy modelling
Torsten
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 10:37 AM UTC
Thanks T! I'll try to check it out, most of my stuff is 1/72.
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 10:48 AM UTC
A Buccaneer is perfect! I've seen the ones in Duxford, Hendon and Yeovilton and that reminds me I need to build my RN Buccaneer at some point!

thanks
Mike
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 01:05 AM UTC
Aaron,

Thanks for sharing your color knowledge on the RLM 70/71 issue. Think I'll try mixing tamiya paints as you did.

Now for anybody out there, any photo or diagram on the gun stands of the FW 200 Condor will be much appreciated
Damian, I'll do my best not to be a mere teaser!!

Cheers
Pedro