Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Anti-Shipping Campaign
Tailor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
AeroScale: 199 posts
Posted: Friday, December 03, 2010 - 02:23 AM UTC
Gentlemen-
I am about as much in awe of the building speed some display here as well as the quality.
Being the megalomaniac I am, of cause I could restrict myself to just build a plane and collect some experience; no, no, I had to buy that Big Ed set.
So good things take their time now:

Stern wheel:

Drop tanks:

Propulsion unit:

Torpedo:

And the underwing and wheelwell construction in progress:

Will put the hull halves together next.

Cheers,
Guido
Kiwi_Modeller
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 188 posts
AeroScale: 62 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 08:14 PM UTC
little more progess over the weekend, decals on and making it dirty has begun still lots to do.

its gonna be a real dirty one since most of the carriers went thro or had fires on board i figured they would get covered in muck and grime plus lots of smoke type damage.
cheers,
Graham
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2010 - 12:27 AM UTC
Excellent progress reports coming through, thanks for sharing.

@ Sam, as you said, the fiddly stuff is almost done for you there, it will be great to see the fuselage buttoned up.

@ Allen, beautiful fine detail work there, looking really sharp !

@ Guido, excellent work so far, beautiful clean paintwork and really good fine details. We have to "cure" you of those nautical terms though. Stern wheel, propulsion unit. hull halves, you have been too immersed in MSW for too long my friend, but the liberation begins here !!

@ Graham, the fun part, weathering over the top of that beatiful paintwork. Your build is looking great and those finishing touches will set it off nicely !!

Tonight I have given the interior of my S 79 a pin wash of black enamel to bring the detail out a bit more, and started on the wheel wells.

Thanks again for sharing, and keep those progress shots coming.

Cheers, D
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2010 - 11:59 PM UTC
I don't know how many of you all know but I've started an online business with my father selling model kits, accessories, built models and a model building service.

I'm actually building a couple of anti-shipping models as we speak, for us to sell but I can enter them in this campaign when they're done. I'm still waiting to get some markings for my Mossie XVIII.

On another note, we are selling kits of anti-shipping planes if any one is interested.
We have the 1/72 Airfix Beaufighter TFX, Mossie and JU88A4 if anyone wants a cheap quick practice build. We have the Zvezda JU88A-4 if anyone wants a decent JU88 without paying Hasegawa money and just arrived is Revell's latest FW200C-4 Condor.
We also have the Airwaves etch for the Airfix Mossie, Eduard mask for the Zvezda JU88A-4. True details weighted wheels for Mossies and JU88's. The Eduard etch and mask will be here soon for the FW200 as well.
http://www.mjwmodels.co.uk/home
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/mjwmodels/m.html

Any question Pm me or email us using the email address on the website.

thanks
Mike
B33rw0lf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 50 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 11:38 AM UTC
Hi All,

I have enlisted into this campaign.
I started Heller's 1/48 Superetendard last night.
Judging by the dry fitting I'm in for some major plastic-smithing to get this kit to look decent.

wizard179
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 251 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 09:45 PM UTC
HI all

Great builds so far everyone. I just signed up for this one but won't start until the new year. Still deciding on the kit currently deciding between 1/72 Hasegawa SH-60B and conversion to make it a RAN bird or 1/48 RAF Tarpon. (although the Revell 1/72 S-3 viking is also an option)

Cheers
Damian
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 10:39 PM UTC
Hi

We've (MJW Models) just got the Eduard etch/mask in for the Revell 1/72 FW200 Condor plus a couple of different Special Hobby Beauforts in 1/72 as well.

PM me if anybody is interested, they are at discounted prices.

thanks
Mike
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 08:17 AM UTC
Hi folks!
I can proudly report that 2 beautiful jets have left the assembly line last weekend and gave room for my campaign build.
This will be my build:

It's that well known Revell/Monogram kit in 1/48 and will become a Do 217 of 4./KG 100, based in France in October 1943. I hope to finish this build until the end of February

About 140 pieces want to be glued together and painted. I've started yesterday evening with the first cockpit parts and hope to present some first results by the end of next week.
Some great builds here so far!

Happy modelling!
Torsten
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 08:36 AM UTC
Newcomers, welcome all.

Len, Wizard and Torsten, thanks for joining the party guys, and what a great selection of builds to add diversity to the gallery.

I'm looking forward to seeing progress pics of these.

Cheers, D
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 09:01 AM UTC
@ Guido: nice job on the prop assembly, and I love that torpedo.

@ Torsten: Great kit you have there I will have to check one out, can not wait to see the progress on your build.

@ Graham: thet TBF is a big a/c, I would not have room to put it on my work bench at the moment.

@ Samantha: you know the fiddely kits bring out all the best in us what did you use for those seat belts they look great.

@ Allen: another a/c that I love the looks of but, was not a success though. I guess I like the dogs like Samantha you are having fun with the interior. I like my builds simple for this old dog.

@ D: I did not see your SM until this morning, must be going blind. I can remember the first time that I saw the Airfix kit and fell in love with it.

Bob
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 06:59 PM UTC
Progress by dribs and drabs. Got the airwaves bomb bay door detail set. It's mostly together. Need to start interior painting..

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 07:53 PM UTC
Looking good Mark.

Bob
B33rw0lf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 50 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 09:13 PM UTC
Hi All,

Just here to introduce Heller's 1/48 Superetendard kit.
Its a sweet looking plane with a killer payload.

Kiwi_Modeller
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 - 07:04 PM UTC
little bit more done

still need to dirty up the weapon pylons etc and put exhaust stains on.

masking up the glass now that takes a while theres a lot of it all the nav lights etc are on too.
cheers
Graham
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 - 08:25 PM UTC
Beautiful work Graham, looking really sharp mate.
Tailor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
AeroScale: 199 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 02:13 AM UTC
Ladies and Gentlemen-
here's a beginners question: How do you paint the prop blades tips so the are all uniform in size?
I need yellow tips for my Wyvern and don't know how to go about it most efficiently as there are 8 of the tips to be painted. It should look very arkward to have them all differently.
Any pointer is highly appreciated.
Cheers,
Guido
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 06:03 AM UTC
Here's how I usually do mine. As the tips are usually yellow, start by painting that color first. No need for any fancy masking at this stage.
Then determine the length of the prop blade tip bands, cut masking tape to that width and lay them down to the prop tips. Using a little longer than necessary pieces makes it easier to get them aligned properly. Then just apply masking along the pieces on the tip and cover the rest of the blades, emove the tape from the tips and paint the rest of the blades.

Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 08:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Samantha: you know the fiddely kits bring out all the best in us what did you use for those seat belts they look great.

Hi Bob, Sam used the etched belts that came with my Vindicator. I said she could have them as I had some fir the Vindicator in the Eduard etch set I bought.

Quoted Text

@ Allen: another a/c that I love the looks of but, was not a success though. I guess I like the dogs like Samantha you are having fun with the interior. I like my builds simple for this old dog.

If you think I'm having fun with the interior, wait until I have a go at replacing the flaps with the Eduard etch
mpatman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 160 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 01:51 PM UTC
Hi all,

Nice work Graham!

Here are a couple of pics of my Grace that I started last weekend. it is a beautiful kit and I have test fitted the 2 halves and wings as you can see, and no filler will be needed (hopefully).

Cheers,

Mark
Kiwi_Modeller
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 04:51 PM UTC
hey D and Mark thanks guys yeh she gettin there takin all weekend nearly to do the glass work ( man i hate that bit) really only got to fit the sight to the screen and then glue all the glass in and do last touch ups an she's done.
cheers,
Graham
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 05:41 PM UTC
Hey Mark, lovely start on the Grace, looking good. I got your PM a while back, but totally forgot to respond. How rude of me, you have my humble apologies sir !!

Cheers, D
Kiwi_Modeller
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 09:04 PM UTC
hey guys, yeh nice Grace Mark what kit is it? might have to get one o them
well i think im gonna call the TBF finished its plenty dirty i reckon for a bird that been thro heaps of action and carrier fires.

it looks a little shiny in the pics but it isnt in the flesh must bee the lights in the shed, if ya's can think of anything that needs to be better just yell, i dont put the aerial wires on cause my models live round the house and get moved a bit so its easier not to have em so i dont knock em off LOL.
cheers,
Graham
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 09:46 PM UTC
Beautiful job Graham, a great result and an awesome array of weaponry on display for our first finished floatie-buster.

Don't forget to post a pic or two in the Gallery HERE to get us started !!

Cheers, D
Kiwi_Modeller
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 09:58 PM UTC
Thanks Damian yeh im fairly happy with it, yup tis loaded for bear.
uploaded just now.
cheers,
Graham
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 - 02:14 AM UTC
Beautiful build, Graham. Very worn bird, but judging from the mission tally on the front fuselage this bird has seen its share of action.

Thanks for sharing