Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Anti-Shipping Campaign
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 11:31 AM UTC
Hmmm.. after about 2 minutes of research on the net I do believe Trumpeter have got it wrong colour wise, or I am interpretting the instructions incorrectly. The aircraft I am modelling was in overall bare metal with the yellow wings etc, so I am happy again and will be doing that scheme.

Kiwi_Modeller
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 188 posts
AeroScale: 62 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 12:20 PM UTC
cool mate glad ya found proof , thats the only trouble with Trumpy they get a fair bit wrong on there instructions, think i might have to get one of them to go with the army i got
ya right about fit mine was good too as was the TBF , most oft ther recent stuff that i've done is pritty good.
cheers,
Graham
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 10:21 PM UTC
Sounds good with the colour scheme, Warren. This is also the scheme I would be going for - after all it is not too often one gets the "camouflage" an aircraft with all bright yellow wings

The cockpit looks very nice with some nice details. Looking forward to see more.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 12:14 AM UTC
I too would have thought Silver with Yellow wings so I'm glad you've decided to stick with that train of thought.

On a side note Hasegawa quite often quote Gunze H11 (silver) when the colour should actually be a grey colour so don't always believe what the manufacturer tells you.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 08:11 AM UTC
I know what you mean re Hasegawa and their H11..

Should get to paint in the next few days. Masking the canopy inside and out is gonna be fun!

Thanks again guys.
AaronW
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 05:32 PM UTC
I've built several yellow wings this past year, so I might be able to help. It does get a bit confusing, but this is basically what I found out. In the late 20s - early 30s the metal parts were painted grey (actually silver-grey but it rapidly turned grey in service), the fabric sections were doped silver. In the mid 30s (1935 if I remember right) the Navy started using a silver paint on both fabric and metal parts. I am not aware of the Navy using any natural metal aircraft due to the issues of corrosion, the exceptions being a few high profile land based planes, but that was more of a publicity thing, Anacosta NAS had some polished metal aircraft and they are noticably different looking from the painted aircraft.

I've been building a 1/72 Airfix SBD as a yellow wing SBD-1, and tthe aircraft I'm basing the conversion on is painted silver and yellow according to the Squadron SBD book.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 - 02:10 AM UTC
Hi folks!
Another life sign from me as I havn't been busy reporting on these pages in the past. But my campaign build is not an easy one ....
This is not filling and sanding, this is a battle ......

.... but I'm slowly making my way .....

.... here she looks already like a bomber, though the version E-5 was never used as a bomber, just for killing ships ....

Next fun follows this weekend with masking all the thousand canopy windows ....

@Hermon
Your Viking looks really great! Sorry to hear that some of the decals are scrap ....
@Matt
The Scooter is a good choice and a rare sight in argentinian colours ....
@Jesper
Considering the age of the kit, you really did well with that Beau!
@Warren
Your SBD looks huge in that scale! It will turn out nicely in that silver/yellow colour scheme, I'm sure!

Happy modelling!
Torsten
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 - 06:59 AM UTC
@ Torsten, I am trying my best..

@ Aaron, after a few more hours research you came to the same conclusions as me, not Bare Metal due to corrosion but silver paint. Suits me as it is a much easier finish!

Might get painted today sometime...
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 - 09:40 AM UTC
Hi all. Apologies for not being around lately but the Ashes Speed Build took up all of my precious modeling time for the past few days.

Great discussion on the SBD finish guys, more really useful info for us all !

Tortsen, I feel your pain (my F-82 pig of a kit is back on the bench now), but your progress to now is looking really good !

Cheers, D
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 04:30 PM UTC
Hi Everyone.

Here is a progress report on the SBD I am building..

Since I took that photo I managed to get it ready for its first coat of aluminium paint..

And she has had her first coat and is drying in her own time. Next up will be the yellow wings and res nose..
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 04:23 AM UTC
Good progress on your SBD, Warren!
Also some more pics from my build. What a fortune, that we have Eduard masks .....

It was not such a drama as I thought, just 66 windows to be covered. A work of 2 hours with these masks. Without it would have lasted maybe 2 weeks .... And now a last look on the inside of the canopy with the 2 side machine guns. Wave bye-bye ....

.... because everthing is closing now ....

.... also the belly machine gun This place was called "coffin" by the german bomber crews. No question why, uh?

.... and finally this morning the cockpit interior colour was painted (RLM 66)

In the next days I will carry on with glueing the external fuel tank and the Hs 293 together. Hope to start painting the camo next weekend. At the moment I'm proceeding quite well ....

Happy modelling!
Torsten
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 07:13 AM UTC
Well Ive come to a screetching halt sub assemblies galore but cant actually put it together because the main bit that hold the top turrett together is missing from its sprue. Thought I would be able to scratch build a replacement but thats a no go so going to have to see if I can get the part from Accurate Miniatures

See I said this kit was going to be a pain before I even started it
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 08:09 AM UTC
Poor Sam!
Is that B-25 you build that ex-Accurate one in 1/48, now sold by Italeri? If yes, who is the importer in England? First try to contact them. If that fails, you may try your luck at the german importer Faller. Here is the address where you can order lost parts:

Service-Abteilung
Gebr. Faller GmbH
Kreuzstr. 9
D-78148 Guetenbach
Germany

Phone:
00.../7723-651106
E-Mail:
[email protected]

They might help you out and maybe for free. Some time ago I needed a lost part from Revell and they sent it with no costs for me. Faller might do the same ....

Good luck!
Torsten
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 08:36 AM UTC
Thanks for that Torsten will try that thanks
Tailor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
AeroScale: 199 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 09:09 AM UTC
Great model bulding on a daily basis. This a great thread.
Good luck to Hermon and his decals and Samantha and the turret part!

I am very happy that I was able to finish my Wyvern this week. While this model does not accurately represent any real-life plane and won't withstand any scruitiny, it's been a lot of fun building and learning.
I hope you like the result, too!

It's been an honour flying with you!

Cheers,
Guido

Kiwi_Modeller
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 188 posts
AeroScale: 62 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 11:29 AM UTC
looking good folks keep it up.
cheers,
Graham
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 07:34 PM UTC
Hi All.

The SBD has gained its yellow wings and red fuselage stripes!

Guido, that is an excellent Wyvern. Great finish on it.

Later all..

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 08:41 PM UTC
Great build on the Wyvern, Guido! Excellent finish that really lets the details stand out. Thanks for participating.

Warren, nice looking colour scheme. It will be very colourful with the decals on. Easy to find in the dark. Looking forward to see more.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 09:10 PM UTC
Definitely one of the more colourful schemes I have done lately!

Should have decals on etc in a few days maximum.
mpatman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 160 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 09:52 PM UTC
Great work Guido, she came up really nice. Warren your SBD is also looking the goods.

I have progressed well with mine and am up to putting on a gloss coat but I cannot post any pics at the moment as I am awaiting the arrival of a new CF card reader as my old one decided to stop working.

I'll post some pics as soon as I can, hopefully the decals will also be on by then!

mark
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 07:07 AM UTC
Guido, what an amazing Wyvern! Everything looks just as it should. You should consider joining your aircraft cousins here more often my friend. Really nice job. ;

Warren, she's looking great. The yellow wings on the NMF are really gonna look good on the display shelf. Nice clean and beautiful build, as usual.

Hermon
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
AeroScale: 372 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 01:40 PM UTC
Guido: Your build came out as close to the real deal as I think is humanly possible, well done!

Warren: Looking good, which silver did you use?

Hermon: Good to see you on
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 05:39 PM UTC
Hey Jeremy. I used Tamiya XF-16 flat aluminium. I doubt if shipboard life would be very nice to external finishes back then so I considered a semi-gloss finish to be appropriate.
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
AeroScale: 372 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 06:30 PM UTC
Very good then. I was surprised when it didn't turn out glossy, but I follow your logic and that seems like a good choice. Silver and other metallics do not weather well.
Tailor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
AeroScale: 199 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 07:29 PM UTC
Thank you for your kind comments!
This certainly wasn't my last plane. I'll participate in other campaigns in the future.
Cheers,
Guido