_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: The Century Series Campaign
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 06:49 AM UTC
I'm afraid the Trumpy F-107A didn't make it, life's been hectic and i've had little time to build in the last couple months,
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 06:14 AM UTC
Only one progress pic so far, although a little more has been done since.
The first problem I'm dealing with is the bare cockpit and the oversized kit seats, which look like they belong in a 1:48 kit to me. I got a pair of very nice Aeroclub metal seats to replace these. When I test fitted these I found that the floor of the cockpit tub is way too low for these, as can be seen in the picture. I built up the cockpit floor with some 1.5mm thick plasticard till it looked about right. The cokpit and seats have been painted and I'm currently working on the instrument panels and side consoles using the decals from the Revell sheet. All fairly simple improvements so far.

The second and far bigger problem is the wings and intakes. Put simply the top and bottom halves don't want to fit together. The problem as far as I can tell is being caused by the intake splitter plates. On both the top and bottom pieces they are too long and don't exactly match up. I might have to cut these out and remake them in thin plasticard, or just make up some intake FOD covers to hide everything. I will try to get some pics to show this.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 07:17 PM UTC
If anybody wants to make some last minute updates or a really late run at this Campaign, HLJ just sent me an email with some Century Series Goodies !

HLJ Sale of the Century Series

If only this had come up 6 months ago ?!?
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 10:32 AM UTC
Theyve got some good stuff for sale. I have to admit I've never bought from them. Not sure how their prices compare to UK model shops when taking into account exchange rate, p&p and the random import duties we can get here. Might have to give them a go one day.

Anyway, managed to take a couple of pics to show the problems with the intakes. Hardly the best quality but its not like I'm shooting the finished model so they'll do. You can see here I've managed to line up the central splitter plate which causes a gap on the intakes edge about half a mil wide. Also what might not be noticeable is that the top half projects further forward than the bottom causing another issue. The other side is far worse but I wasn't able to take very clear pics of this. I still can't figure out how to sort these problems out. I'm starting to think I should have picked another kit.

Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
AeroScale: 475 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 09:42 PM UTC
Hey Steve,you got your work cut out on those intakes mate,don't envy you on that job!!!!
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 12:05 AM UTC
Hi guys. I got the last bit of painting done today, decals will be going on in the next few days.
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 12:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys. I got the last bit of painting done today, decals will be going on in the next few days.

G'day mate
Thats great news D,looking forward to seeing this baby
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 11:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Steve,you got your work cut out on those intakes mate,don't envy you on that job!!!!

Its been tricky but with some drastic cutting, sanding, filling and more sanding they do look a lot better now. I've decided to just hide all the hacking with some intake covers. Theres no trunking on ther inside anyway so I dont think I'll lose anything.
Not looking forward to doing it all over again with the other matchbox voodoo in my stash.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 - 06:14 AM UTC
quick update before the weekend. The cockpit has now been largely done and painted. I built up the rear console from plasticard and painted it all black, using the intstument decals from the spare revell sheet. The seats have also been finished. Just the pilots panel to add. This can be dropped into place when the fuselage has been glued together.
The problems with the wings and intakes has been largley sorted out, just a little bit of filler and a light sanding to smooth it all out and that jobs done.

Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 07:00 PM UTC
Hi chums
Many thanks to you guys who have posted your completed build pictures in the gallery,you will get your ribbon at the end of the month.
Steve... sterling job mate keep going ,what markings are you going to use?
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 09:22 AM UTC
I'll be doing it in the late Canadian scheme from the revell kits decal sheet. Cant remember the squadron buts its got an eagle head in a blue disc on the tail. I get them with a bunch of kits and decals a mate of mine gave me when his girlfriend made him do a clear out when they moved house.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2011 - 09:44 AM UTC
Fuselage and wings have been glued together. Its now starting to look like a Voodoo. Also started work on all everything else, undercart, tailplanes, drop tanks etc...
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2011 - 03:37 AM UTC
Voodoo's now about ready for painting, just about to give it a quick coat of primer. I will say this for it, the overly thick canopy framing has made masking a doddle!
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 11:45 PM UTC
Well done Steve great progress on the Voodoo,keep going still got a few days left
Andy
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2011 - 03:15 AM UTC
Cheers mate.

Well I'm calling it done. One or two bits could use a bit of work and I couldn't get the drop tanks to fit but they'll have to wait till I have more time. Its good enough for photo's anyway. I hand painted (my airbrush has gone AWOL) it in of the the new humbrol acrylic greys. Probably the wrong shade but I needed a paint that dried quick to get it done in time for the deadline.
So finished in the markings of 409Sqn Canadian Air Force Matchbox 1:72 CF-101F Voodoo.

Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2011 - 03:26 AM UTC
Hey Steve bloody great mate,well done ribbon on its way
Any more straglers out there?
Just post 2 pics in the gallery

http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/26313

Cheers
Andy

md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2011 - 04:22 AM UTC
Sorry guys, don't think I'm gonna make it. Just a bit of sanding to go before the paint shop, then I lost the nose tip w/ pitot tube. I may fake it somehow, but this one's a hanger queen for now.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2011 - 05:35 PM UTC
Hi all. There's frantic decalling and touch-upping galore at Aussie Central, I really wanna get this thing done in time !!

Photo's with some decals soon, I promise !!

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 01:22 AM UTC
Back as promised boss. . . . . .

Port side

Starboard side

Yes, before anybody asks, the USAF emblem is now on the starboard wing top as well !

Now I gotta leave it for a while to settle before I handle it for the underside and final assemblies.

Back soon, D
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 07:54 AM UTC
Looks great, Damian. As I recall you are building the Revell/Monogram 1/48 Voodoo right? How is this kit? How is the overall fit and level of detail?
I have been wanting to buy it several times but never got my hands on it.

Looking forward to see it finished
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 03:37 PM UTC
Thanks Jesper. Yes it's the old Monogram Century Series boxing. I picked it up cheap at a swap meet with no decals and a couple of missing parts. The level of detail is great, but the fit is ordinary in a couple of spots, the nose/fuselage join, the rear of the fuselage, and the afterburner cans. If I had the time to administer some more TLC the kit would come up really nicely.

The decals are Eagle Strike, and performed perfectly for me.

Anyway, I'm calling this one finished for the puropses of the Campaign. I will add some weathering and drop tanks etc at some time down the track, but for now it's on the shelf.

Thanks for running a super campaign Torchy, and congrats to everybody on their completed builds, the gallery is great !

Cheers, D
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 10:34 PM UTC
Great Job D glad you made it mate,well done.
A massive thank you to all those have taken part in this campaign,and like D says the gallery is great,some outstanding builds on there.
And many thanks to Allen (Tomcat 31) for setting up the gallery and the extension
Between us we managed to do all of the series bar the F-110 (I diddn't have time!!

Your ribbons will be awarded soon(read as soon as I work out how to do it!!)
so wear it with pride as you all have done a great service to Aeroscale and the Kitmaker network.
Once again guys,outstanding work,thank you of making my first campaign a sucsess
Andy

Have a beer wih me

PS 12 hours 30 mins to go!!
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2011 - 12:24 AM UTC
Hi all
Ribbons sent
Once again, thanks team
Andy
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2011 - 07:25 AM UTC
Damian thats an awesome Voodoo. Does it come with a choice of weapons? I've seen a few of these kits about so I might treat myself.

Its been a great campaign!
 _GOTOTOP