Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: The Century Series Campaign
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 04:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Man you build fast Hermon, as do a lot of the regs here. Building is such a slow process for me, am I missing something?

Crack............. its what keeps me going Oh and 7 trained monkeys..dont tell hermon they use to work for him
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
AeroScale: 372 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 05:02 PM UTC
Hmmm... any chance I can borrow a few of those trained monkeys?
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 06:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Man, I guess I'm just pretty wiped out at the end of the day... that and I'm sure the tv and the fact that I've just started scale modeling may play a part in it

There is a very easy way to increase your modelling time, give up the useless TV.. I would be lucky to watch TV ever outside of Football season over here.. Except for Bathurst of course.
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 09:14 PM UTC
Indeed, I shall try to limit that as best I can. Just hard when that's what everybody else wants to do
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 04:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That is a very old mould Nick. Hasegawa should never have let it out the door. The Trumpeter one is much better.

While the Trumpeter kit is newer, the old Monogram release in 1/72 is still the best out there. Raised panel lines and all. IMO..
Hermon, if you shot aircraft gray on your bird that is why it's taking so long. That is a gloss color and those take forever and a day to dry....And, I imagine that the humidity isn't helping any either. Looks good though. Hang in there.
Haven't touched my build. The Onscureco resin wing doesn't fit well and I set things aside til' I figure out how I'm going to tackle this one. I may shelve it and opt for an F-105F with full bomb load in NMF. Found a pic of one and it just looks mean. Might start on this one while waiting for the gloss coat on my Hind to dry. Everybody's builds are looking good. "Q"
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 06:55 AM UTC
Hmmm.. I have seen both together and I thought the Trumpeter one s&&t all over the Hasegawa one.. But everyone has their own opinion..
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 07:42 AM UTC
Justin has photos...........I sprayed the gloss black today letting sit and get rock hard now then i will start spraying the alclad.

Im with you on the Tv thing there's never anything on anymore that's worth a S@@t so spend it on here and modeling theres always someone here doing the same thing I am
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 08:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have seen both together and I thought the Trumpeter one s&&t all over the Hasegawa one

Warren, I agree with you here. I was saying the Monogram kit is the best out of them....again in my opinion. I have one of the Hasegawa kits on hand and it is pretty rough. I'm currently working on one of the Monogram F's and it is a little gem of a kit for the age. I'll get some pics up of it soon. "
Justin, that Hun is looking good. Q"
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 09:10 AM UTC
Here's the old Monogram cockpit. All I added were a couple pieces of tape to the lap belts to help bring them out a little better. Otherwise, everything is as it come in the kit. For all intents and purposes it's the 1/48 scale kit shrunk. Pretty nice for the age. "Q"

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 09:32 AM UTC
Matt, I usually play "where's Waldo" when looking at all of your pictures trying to find something wrong or out of place. I'm proud to announce that I have finally found something wrong. Ya need to get rid of that big ole chunk of flash on the control stick.

Nice job man. You're right about the detail on the kit. I've noticed that on quite a few Monogram kits in my stash. It'd be nice if I didn't have to order AM decals for them though.

Hermon
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 11:34 AM UTC
I noticed that after I posted the pics. Can't see it even with my optivisor on , but the camera doesn't lie. I took care of it after I saw it. The old Monogram kits were cream of the crop in their day. Their 101 is still the best thing out there no matter what scale...again, my opinion. I wonder why none of these new guys can't come up with some new tooled kits. HB did the 105...how about some of the other century series? I imagine it has to do with the cost. Look what the HB 105 cost when it hit the street. I could buy a whole fleet of Monogram Thuds for what one of those cost. Oh well....back to the bench. "Q"
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 01:17 PM UTC
I think trumpeter made up there decals Ive been looking for about an hour now and I find nothing involving the box art(41994 of the 107th TFS Iowa Air Guard in aluminum paint from 1961)if anyone has a pic of the actual plane i would greatly appreciate it
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 03:07 PM UTC
Decal problems Justin? Look at what I'm dealing with:

I finally get ahold of a decent set of aftermarket decals and the damned things don't fit.

Looks like no matter what, I'm gonna end up painting a 1mm strip on each side of the tail. I just can't get a break. It must be a vast conspiracy.

Hermon
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 03:18 PM UTC
at least your paint scheme exist
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 03:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Justin has photos...........I sprayed the gloss black today letting sit and get rock hard now then i will start spraying the alclad.

Im with you on the Tv thing there's never anything on anymore that's worth a S@@t so spend it on here and modeling theres always someone here doing the same thing I am

Yeah, and you have something to show for it to boot

I looked too, but there was mostly a lot of junk. All I could find related was this picture:

Oh yeah, and I want your kit now, looks way cool man

Quoted Text

You're right about the detail on the kit. I've noticed that on quite a few Monogram kits in my stash. It'd be nice if I didn't have to order AM decals for them though.

Hermon

I was afraid that I was getting junk when I started buying them, but the century series seem pretty nice.

Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 03:22 PM UTC
Thanks for looking I found the same thing I even looked it up by the serial number to no avail
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 03:29 PM UTC
Same here, google did not like that...

There do seem to be some colorful markings that did exist as this bird shows:

*edit:
Which oddly matches this color profile

Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 - 02:34 PM UTC
well my first alclad adventure went awesome
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 - 03:03 PM UTC
Wow, that's the finish i dreamed about getting on my P-51.
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 - 03:26 PM UTC
Very nice Justin, which Alclad color did you use?
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 - 04:09 PM UTC
polished aluminum
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 - 04:44 PM UTC
It came out with a real nice sheen man
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 12:19 AM UTC
Last night I noticed a finger print so I went to rub it and the alcad rubbed off I touched it up and gave it a coat of future to lock things down.more later
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 12:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Last night I noticed a finger print so I went to rub it and the alcad rubbed off I touched it up and gave it a coat of future to lock things down.more later

That's pretty unusual Justin. Most of the time Alclad won't come off without using a nuclear bomb. Maybe the black undercoat wasn't 100% dry?? Anyways, it's looking great.

Hermon
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 03:44 AM UTC
Moving right along with my build. I dressed the seams and polished everything back to a nice shine yesterday. Since the canopies were dipped about 4 days ago, they were ready for install and masking which is what I am doing today. I used thinned Micro Krystal Klear with Windex to first attach the windscreen, then the pilots canopy and finally the GIB's canopy. Since the canopy's have rounded corners I punched discs that matched the curves and laid them in place. Now I'll trim them out with the straight runs and fill the remainder with larger pieces. Using the discs is a lot easier than trying to get tape to bend. Should be shooting paint here shortly. "Q"
ps. As clear as the canopy's are, I think I am going to leave them down as there is less chance of breaking them off later. And, they provide enough of a view of the interior that one can see what needs to be seen.