Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: The Century Series Campaign
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 01:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I had the same thing happen on a 1:48 meteor. The first (and last) time I used tamiya sprays. And that was after washing and priming. Difficult to say what caused. Never had it happen with other sprays I've used.
The usually faithful Mr muscle oven cleaner spray just wouldn't shift it and that stuff usually takes off any paint. Only way I could get rid of it was sanding it off and respraying. Ended up losing a lot of the fine detail. Given your 102 has a lot of raised panel lines I can see sanding being very risky!
How about a rub with a meths soaked rag? Sometimes gets off paint if it hasnt been on too long.
Its not good when something goes wrong so close to the end of a build.

Hi Steve,
I feel your pain mate,I wont be using tammy rattle cans again either
Tried all of the above plus model strip,NFG I'm affraid ,I'm going to bite the bullet and bin it.
Ordered a replacment build (not a 102) but it may take a week or so to get here,plus my big Airfix mossie has a whole sprue missing,so its not been a great weekend ,but Spurs won and I had great curry and beer on saturday night
Andy

Why do cock ups never happen on a cheap little model either? Its always larger more expensive ones. Lets hope your next build goes better.
Hoping to get some progress pics of my Voodoo up by the end of the week. I also picked up another one on the weekend at the Cosford model show. I'm very tempted to do the recce version with that.
Jesper the F-104 is looking good, what scheme are you thinking of going for?
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 09:23 AM UTC
Finished up my entry for the MiG build, so I'm going to jump in here with Trumpy's 1/72 Ultrasabre.

Trumpeter XF-107 Ultrasabre 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 10:01 AM UTC
Brandon, great build. The 106, one of my favorite jets! Adam, an interesting subject, the Ultrasabre. How would like to eject with that intake right on the back of the aircraft! Yikes! Russell
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
AeroScale: 475 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 11:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Finished up my entry for the MiG build, so I'm going to jump in here with Trumpy's 1/72 Ultrasabre.

Hey Adam,good shot with the 107,I've got the set of 1/144 experimental aircraft comming.

http://www.anigrand.com/AA3007_Century-fighters.htm

Diddn't know trumpy did a 107!,looks interesting,cant wait to see some pics
Andy
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 03:19 AM UTC
Primer on. I used Alclad primer, for the first time, and had to play around with the pressure to get it going, but it went on really nicely, dried fast, and seems to handle a bit of knocking about quite well.

Cheers, D
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 04:02 AM UTC
Hi D. Nice to see your back at it, I was wondering where you went. Your doing a great job on the 101; I tried one of those some years back (Monogram), but it inevidebly crashed landed in the waste basket. That was before great teaching sites like this were born. Guy
eMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 1,182 posts
AeroScale: 351 posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 - 01:30 AM UTC
Some Progress pics of my entry, 1/32 Hasegawa F-104.

Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 - 05:53 PM UTC
Hi Guys
still waiting for postie for my replacement build/builds
D.... the 101 looks lovely mate,that Alclad primer does go on nice.
Hey, Lap Man ,I love that big 104 ,I had one many moons ago!,what finish and markings are you goning with?
Andy
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 02:21 AM UTC
eMan, I really like your progress on the Hasegawa 104. I wanted to get that kit and try an RCAF version, but I can't rationalize the Hasegouging prices for it where I live.
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 06:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

eMan, I really like your progress on the Hasegawa 104. I wanted to get that kit and try an RCAF version, but I can't rationalize the Hasegouging prices for it where I live.

Guy
Have a look on Ebay,mine went for about £15 ,might grab yourself a bargin
Rebilda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 06:39 AM UTC
Hi all.

This is were I am as of now:

Tried to capture the shading I did but:

Everything is painted. Firs a coat of white primer, then a million thin coats of yellow shaded with orange streaks, then Revell Aqua silver then a clear coat then exaust shading.

I seem to remember somebody built the exact same plane around here but I really looked but can't find who and were. So I really hope nobody's angry now

Thanks for watching
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 05:14 AM UTC
Hi Leo
Thats a mighty fine colourful bird my man,looking good,keep them pics comming
Andy

P.S what's that Revell Aqua like ?,I need some for a 1/16 King Tiger build,how doe's it airbrush ?need thinning?
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 03:59 PM UTC
I'm at the 'ton of fiddly bits to work on' stage with the Ultra Sabre.

Gotta admit I was expecting something a little more Tamiyagawa-like from my first Trumpeter kit, in reality it's a little closer to a Czech short-run kit. Decent engineering overall but sprue gates are an issue and fit is merely decent. The paint callouts also remind me of Italieri, ie a little on the WAG side.
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2011 - 07:25 AM UTC
And main assembly is done. Filling, lots & lots of filling, is next. Plenty of gaps to fill, but nothing major.

Kind of a funny looking airplane though.
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 03:53 PM UTC
And a little paint before the last bit of assembly on the main fuselage, the tail. I need to install the rear engine bits before I can get the tailcone on.

The outer exhaust portion can (thankfully) be left off until final assembly.
Rebilda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 07:52 PM UTC
@Andy: Thanks for the kind words! I'm nearing assembly-ready state soon, so pics will follow.
Revell Aqua are really nice to brushpaint. Also airbrushing works well but they< need considerable thinning. Tap water works but best is their new Aqua thinner. The No.90 Silver is the best acrylic metal i've come along 'till now ( Talon BMF from Hawkhobbies I've not found over here).
@Well Adam, that looks like a busy kit!
I've seen Vallejo Grey Primer there in the back. How you like it? How do you thin it?

Greetings!
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 11:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@Well Adam, that looks like a busy kit!
I've seen Vallejo Grey Primer there in the back. How you like it? How do you thin it?

Greetings!

It's actually a pretty simple kit overall, busy airplane though.

As to the Vallejo primer, it sprays well straight from the bottle but is purely lousy for sanding as it tends to peel when sanded. I'm less than impressed and still looking for a solid primer that's better than simply spraying some Tamiya XF-19 as a base coat.
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 11:33 PM UTC
Hi Guys
Adam that 107's great its really starting to take shape
These beauties arrived today

The quality of the resin parts is superb , no flash and minimal cast lugs.
MMMMMMM which one to build??????,sod it, lets do the lot!!!
Crack on
Andy
flyboy92187
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
AeroScale: 150 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 - 05:38 AM UTC
So, I decided to join this campaign because I wanted an excuse to buy and try alclad II. I have never worked with a metalizer, and havent touched lacquers in quite some time, so I forgot how great they smell... But I was inspired by all the F-100 kits that I saw on here, so I got the Italeri 1/72 F-100. Not a bad little kit, unfortunately they did not pack the decals in their own sleeve, and some moisture must have gotten into the box, since the decal sheet was literally stuck to the bags of sprues. But, here is my progress thus far. I am kind of looking forward to trying to emulate the heat marks on the aft of the aircraft.

mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 - 08:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So, I decided to join this campaign because I wanted an excuse to buy and try alclad II. I have never worked with a metalizer, and havent touched lacquers in quite some time, so I forgot how great they smell...

I'll tell ya, thats a nice looking F-100. The F-100 is one of my favorite jets, even though I'm not a jet guy.

Just a note about Alclad, if you don't mind. If you buy it, you have to use it, as it has limited shelf life. I bought a bottle, and when I went to use it 2 years later, I found it had evaporated. I didn't think 2 years was that long in a modelers life. Guy
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 - 11:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I seem to remember somebody built the exact same plane around here but I really looked but can't find who and were. So I really hope nobody's angry now

Thanks for watching

That was I and No not in the least sir that's why theirs thousands of the kit produced and its a great kit.
Here's Mine
flyboy92187
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 - 05:01 PM UTC
my adult adhd does not work well with the alclad, and I miss the short dry times. I do have a question on it however; can I use micro sol/set on it with the decals? and should I bother clear coating it at all? From what I have read I see that I do not need to put any coat on before I decal, but I am wondering if any decal solutions will mess up the finish. Thanks for the heads up on the shelf life of the paint. I will have to find a nice B-25 or 29 kit to use the rest of it on.
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 - 11:30 PM UTC
Hey Michael
Welcome to the CS campaign, that Huns looking great fella.
Guy,thanks for the heads up on the shelf life of alclad I've still got jars of the original Tamiya paints ,the really nice smelling ones they must be 30 years old and still work!!!!!
Andy
flyboy92187
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2011 - 04:37 AM UTC
Looking at the ultra sabre kits on here, holy smokes that is a neat looking bird. I cannot wait to see what everyone's finished projects look like. As far as alclad questions, how does it work with post shading the panel lines? Has anyone done that? I dont want to ruin that finish! Thanks for the comment Andy, much appreciated.
flyboy92187
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 04:34 AM UTC
Here is a crack at the heat discoloration. Pretty much just heavily thinned tamiya black and dark copper. Things like this make me realize how glad I am a site like this exists. I have already accumulated quite a bit of knowlege. Though I most likely drag the average down a bit on this site, its pretty cool. I would have never attempted free handing anything, or even heard of alclad. So, to those who provide their years of expertise; thank you. Anyway, I had a slight setback. I noticed that on the wings the finish was not what I wanted, so I had to re prime, and tonight I will hit it again with the ole' alclad II. But, here is the bit of progress I made last night. Gear is on, as well as the speed brake.