Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Mischievous MiGs Campaign
B33rw0lf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 50 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 08:07 PM UTC
Hi Grant your Mig-29 looks great.
When you masked it to paint the green was that Bluetac you used?
EDC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 101 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 02:40 PM UTC
Hi Len, yeah it was Blu-tack for the masking.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2011 - 02:02 AM UTC
Nice looking Mig Grant. Congratulations on completing your campaign entry. Make sure to post a pic or two in the gallery. "Q"
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2011 - 05:38 AM UTC
I've wasted no time in getting back to my bench since getting home yesterday. I decided to have a little painting fun with this one. The tails are in white, and the remainder is in a gray/blue-gray camo pattern. Hoping to have this one complete in a couple days as there isn't a whole lot left to do on it. Thanks, "Q"
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2011 - 10:12 AM UTC
I've made steady progress on the Mig today. The cans are painted as is the aft portion of the fuselage where it meets the AB cans. This was about the easiest canopy to mask I have ever dealt with. Took all of about 10 minutes to do. Might have to build another one of these just based on that! Just finished shooting the gloss coat. Will let this stand for awhile to dry and work on the missiles in the mean time. I'm thinking I could have this one complete tomorrow. Very simple kit it is How is everybody else coming along?? "Q"
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2011 - 11:20 AM UTC
A little work on the vertical stabs and the drop tank. I found some spare F-4 decals that fit the tank pretty almost perfectly. The other side snuggled down with a couple of drops of Solvaset. This side is still drying at the moment hence the slight silvering around the edges. The decals on the tails are from both the kit and the spares box. The contrast of the white tails looks good with the blue/gray camo. "Q"

A little test fitting....

ronbee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Limburg, Belgium
KitMaker: 14 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2011 - 05:55 AM UTC
Hi all,

Very pleased to see such nice models in this campaign. Very well done. I finished my MIg 25, a build that started in 2010 so it doesn't apply for this build. Time to start with my Zvezda Mig 21bis in 1/72 scale.

Here are some photo's of the sprues. There is a lot of detail an the panellines are just right, not to deep, not to shallow. The instructions are simple and could be better in my opinion. There are decals for 3 planes. A soviet (wich i will be building), Finnish and Polish.

Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2011 - 05:57 AM UTC
Just about ready to stick a fork in this one. Just finished shooting another coat of Future over the decals. Once dried enough, I'll add a pin wash along the panel lines and a final flat coat. I found some smaller versions of the decals on the tail and thought they would help liven up the interior portion of the tails. They all came from a Games Workshop armor set. I have no idea what they are for, but they looked Russian to me so on they went. Carried the plane number back here as well. Unfortunately the larger numbers had some yellowing around them. I think it still looks alright. I'm calling this my take on a show scheme. Hope you all like it. Thanks, "Q"

Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2011 - 08:53 AM UTC
Aaaaand cut! Calling this one complete and putting it into the display case. Hope everybody else is making progress. Thanks, "Q"

EDC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 101 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2011 - 07:08 PM UTC
Very nice. Which of the Italeri and Hasegawa kits is more accurate I wonder? There are some differences in the shapes to my eye.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 01:19 AM UTC
I couldn't tell you Grant as I don't know. I believe that due to the age of the Hasegawa kit it isn't this one. I have a friend who is really knowledgeable about all things Mig related. I'll ping him and see if he can shed some light on it. I really enjoyed this little guy. Builds really fast and there are virtually no seam lines to clean up. That alone led me to want a few more of these in my stable for other builds. "Q"
B33rw0lf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 50 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 12:50 PM UTC
Hi All

What is the most appropriate paint type/code for the Mig-21MF's nose cone and antennas etc? You know that green color. My Trumpeter 1/32 instructions say Gunze H65 (Mr Color H18) Black Green but this seems a bit too dark.
I am doing the Iraqi version so some fading would be appropriate.

vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 - 06:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi All

What is the most appropriate paint type/code for the Mig-21MF's nose cone and antennas etc? You know that green color. My Trumpeter 1/32 instructions say Gunze H65 (Mr Color H18) Black Green but this seems a bit too dark.
I am doing the Iraqi version so some fading would be appropriate.

yeah, black green is definitely too dark.

I am currently wrestling with this problem myself. the closest I have found so far is tamiya's "deep green", but even that doesn't make me entirely happy and may have to be altered a bit
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 - 08:03 AM UTC
My suggestion is to find a color that is pleasing to your eye and go with that. While in Iraq we had an aircraft bone yard that I frequented a lot. There were ton of Mig-21's scattered through this thing. Colors varied a lot from one aircraft to the next due to weathering, age etc. I saw dark green, bright green and everything in between. If you find a color that is close to what you think it should be, go for it. Hope that helps. "Q"
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 - 08:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My suggestion is to find a color that is pleasing to your eye and go with that. While in Iraq we had an aircraft bone yard that I frequented a lot. There were ton of Mig-21's scattered through this thing. Colors varied a lot from one aircraft to the next due to weathering, age etc. I saw dark green, bright green and everything in between. If you find a color that is close to what you think it should be, go for it. Hope that helps. "Q"

good to know, thanks!
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 01:09 AM UTC
How about an update on everybody's progress? It's been rather quiet here lately. How is everybody's Mig's coming along? Thanks, "Q"
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 - 01:07 PM UTC
Matt,

Given the current political situation plus my tremendous progress on my Spitfire ( ), I was thinking of jumping into this campaign with a "quick" build of a 1/48 Academy MiG-21 in Egyptian markings from 1967.

So, any of you who've built the Acad. kit, am I crazy to think it'll be quick? The only aftermarket I plan to add is a NeoMega seat.

Nice work so far, everyone (by the way )

Michael
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 - 01:18 PM UTC
Feel free to jump in with both feet and a running start! Negative knowledge about the Academy Mig-21. I've been bouncing back and forth between an old Airfix U2 and my Spitfire and some other builds as well....I feel your pain. Welcome aboard. "Q"
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 - 01:11 PM UTC
How about some progress reports folks...how/where is everybody at with their Migs? Thanks, "Q"
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 - 06:07 PM UTC
At comrade mission commander's behest, my update:

After about the 10th variation on the style of camo scheme I was looking to reproduce, I have finally achieved something I am reasonably happy with. Balancing out a 4-color camo in correct hues and coverage without something looking wonky is tough! Heavy sludge wash of water colors (dark brown and black mostly) drying on the top. bottom needs touch ups.

between all the different attempts and the really poor weather lately (I airbrush in my garage), it has taken a while to get to this state.

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 - 07:53 PM UTC
Vance, impressive camo and how cold was it in the garage?

Bob
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 - 08:13 PM UTC
Sorry Q but I finished mine over 1 month ago now..
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 01:03 AM UTC
I'm diggin' it Vance. Nicely done.
No Problem Warren. I know there are others out there. I just want to make sure I don't drop the ball on my own campaign... Keeping tabs is important. Found that out the hard way...
Anybody else? "Q"
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 01:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Vance, impressive camo and how cold was it in the garage?
Bob

well, despite it being an attached garage, it was clearly below freezing long enough to freeze solid the bowl of water i leave out for the cat at the end of the garage near where my airbrush station is set up (near the bay door, for maximum ventilation).

Usually it is only hot weather that keeps me from painting.

While of course Austin wasn't as bad off as much of the rest of the country, there were a lot of nights below 20 and not many days above freezing. We even had snow stick on the ground here in Austin for a little over a day - I think it was 1983 the last time that happened. I mean, I moved back to Texas because I HATE the cold!

Paint definitely performs better when it is a bit warmer than that.

The cat (a stray maine-coon who adopted me a couple years ago) lucked out, as I was feeling soft-hearted, and he got to spend most of the bad weather inside (a very rare treat for him).
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 11:50 PM UTC
Very nice job on the camouflage, Vance. Looks very cool. It will be great to see it with markings on.

Looking forward to see more

PS. Nice of you to let the cat in for some warm surroundings