Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Mischievous MiGs Campaign
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 06:51 AM UTC
@ Yoni: nice choice of kit for limited space build, once you lick your health issues plan a major plastic cutting party

I was able to do some building on the Mig 17, here is a WIP post. finally installed the cockpit and glued the fuselage together. It was not a pretty process there are still some gaps at the vertical fin trailing edge.

Photobucket

Bob
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
AeroScale: 111 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 09:38 PM UTC
Hey, thanks Q and Bob. I'm doing ok for the moment; a little time at the workbench (card table?) should make me feel better.

I'll be digging through my things in storage this weekend to find my modeling supplies. All I need is some sandpaper, my X-Acto, a bottle of glue and a little paint. Yep, it's old school stuff, but getting back to working some plastic should do wonders for my attitude.

-YL
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 - 03:48 AM UTC
And after 3 very interesting weeks I've finally managed to get some more work done on the MiG-31. Painting the Dark Grey bits up top, in stages. First stage is the fin tips and nose cone

Zvezda MiG-31 by mawz_models, on Flickr

Next up will be the belly strakes and finally the small panels. Then I just need to paint the two black bits at the nose and it will be decal time.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 - 04:34 AM UTC
Looking good Adam. Keep at it. "Q"
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 02:43 AM UTC
How about an update folks... It's been rather quiet here lately. "Q"
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 03:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Matt. The galleries are down so I don't think anyone can post any pictures right now. Just FYI.

Mike
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 08:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hey Matt. The galleries are down so I don't think anyone can post any pictures right now. Just FYI.

Mike

Well, that goes for those who use the kitmaker galleries. I use photobucket for my WIP pics so there's really no excuse for not posting so far.
Recently I've been busy (more or less...) with a Mustang for the Korean war campaign on Armorama.

...Oh wait, I have done some progress! I've nipped parts from the sprues, did some test fitting, leafing through reference material, what-have-you. There's really not much work left to do on the Mustang, I'll have to just sit down and finish it and get going on my MiG-21.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 08:17 AM UTC
Thanks for the info Mike. And also to you for your update Eetu. Not a problem if people build at a glacial pace, just want to keep tabs on my campaign. I've lost track of some in the past and hate when that happens. Thanks again guys, "Q"
iflytb20
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kerala, India / भारत
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 194 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 08:26 AM UTC
Hey Q
I've got my hands full right now with a Revell 110 that i am building for the Zestorers Campaign. As soon as i finish that, i'll start my build for this campaign.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 09:26 AM UTC
Does this count as progress??

Build Log

all the best

Steffen
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 - 12:31 AM UTC
I suppose that would count, but i would rather folks posted WIP pics here in the thread rather than link to them. Thanks, "Q"
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 - 12:32 AM UTC
No problem Raj. Thanks for the update. "Q"
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
AeroScale: 111 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 03:28 PM UTC
As for me, I have the last of my surgeries tomorrow, and then after a little more downtime, I should be as good as new.

I'll be looking forward to getting my grubby paws all over the mini-MiG in early April.

-YL
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 03:34 PM UTC
Yoni, we will see you after the vacation.

Bob
Krowa_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Województwo Gdanskie, Poland
KitMaker: 37 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 12:53 AM UTC
Sorry to interrupt with a lame question, but does what-ifs qualify for this contest?
The official rules and regs says nothing about it, so I assume it's OK?

I wanted to build Polish Air Force Mig-15UTI (Hobby Boss, 1/72 kit) in fictional markings but not sure if I can spam here with my posts.
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 06:27 AM UTC
The MiG-31 is coming along slowly, but I'm fighting paint adhesion issues. Looks like Vallejo really does want a primer, something I've not needed with the Tamiya paints I usually use.

Now I just need to wait for the black to dry so I can mask it and respray the grey. Then it's glosscote & decal time.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 09:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry to interrupt with a lame question, but does what-ifs qualify for this contest?
The official rules and regs says nothing about it, so I assume it's OK?

I wanted to build Polish Air Force Mig-15UTI (Hobby Boss, 1/72 kit) in fictional markings but not sure if I can spam here with my posts.

As per the rules....
The Rules and Regs
1)You are tasked with building your favorite JET POWERED MiG. Any nation and any markings are ok as long as it is a jet powered MiG.

Have at it. "Q"
Buckeye198
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2011 - 07:40 AM UTC
Wow, so I feel VERY behind right now! The pictures I'll be posting come mostly from early January (my winter break--I'm a college student and I can't really build on campus), but the last few are from this past week (my spring break). I recognize some people here from the Korean War Campaign, and as they've seen, I've been working mainly on my F-86F Sabre. But here's my progress on Tamiya's 1/48 MiG-15 bis.

The pilot is actually somewhat plain for a Tamiya kit...no complaints, though, as I appreciate having a pilot figure included at all.

Again, pretty simple painting too. Commies didn't put much flash into anything they issued their fighters...

In the tub. As expected from Tamiya, it was a very straightforward build that fit together nicely.

Front fuselage assembly. As you'll see later on, I had some major difficulties with seams. I wish I had read Vance's post about left-right halves as opposed to front-back halves before I worked on this...

The engine was actually a really easy build, everything fit together, ample detail, and it looks great! Too bad I've decided to build it enclosed in the jet. It makes sense to me to build it like that...

Completed engine inside a fuselage half (quarter, technically). The right-rear half would then be glued on and the whole rear assembly would fit into the forward assembly. If only it were that easy!

The tip to my superglue bottle came off and so I thought, in my infinite wisdom, that I would make do and just be really careful and pour the glue out as needed. I completely forgot that superglue is not slow like Elmer's but runs like water. I ended up with superglue dripping from the rear halves, all over my workstation, and my hands. And of course, because I was upset, I yelled some unkind words and clenched my fists. Big mistake. I then commenced to yell more unkind words.

The disgusting seams. It'll take a lot of work to get rid of all this and what I showed before. Maybe it's a good thing I don't have another model on my bench after this one.

This one will certainly be an adventure. I wonder how Ayhan made his MiG so well...
Krowa_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2011 - 01:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As per the rules....
The Rules and Regs
1)You are tasked with building your favorite JET POWERED MiG. Any nation and any markings are ok as long as it is a jet powered MiG.

Have at it. "Q"

In that case I'm in!
Will post some WIP pics soon...
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 05:49 AM UTC
Looking forward to it Marek. "Q"
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
AeroScale: 372 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 04:58 PM UTC
This will be my build guys:

I won't be starting for a few weeks at the soonest though, in campaign crunch mode. I'll be going with the Chinese markings.
Krowa_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 08:00 AM UTC
As I declared earlier, I try to build Mig-15UTI out of 1/72 HobbyBoss kit (actually, that should be SBLim-2, as I am building Polish Air Foce version).

Generally, the kit is really nice. Only a few parts, all fits well, no sink marks and only a bit of filler is required. I finished it within 12 hours. At least, the construction part

Let's see how did it look like...

in-box

cockpit

the whole kit

primer

More pics will follow soon...
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 04:07 PM UTC
nice work so far Marek. Keep at it. I'm off to Cancun for a week of sun, scuba and margarita's. Ya'll play nice while I'm gone. "Q"
Krowa_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 09:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ya'll play nice while I'm gone. "Q"

I am doing my best

Krowa_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 08:26 AM UTC

No i deserve 2 week break from this project and promise to return with a gallery next time