Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Mischievous MiGs Campaign
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 02:47 AM UTC
Well the nose is on and the intakes (mostly) finished.

Zvezda MiG-31 by mawz_models, on Flickr

I've actually got the top of the intakes on and the ramps in since that picture. Next I think it's time to finish the cockpit.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 02:54 AM UTC
Looking good Adam. Keep at it. "Q"
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 01:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good Adam. Keep at it. "Q"

Thanks Matthew, it's one of the most enjoyable kits I've built and I'm really looking forward to getting it done and on the shelf.
ronbee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Limburg, Belgium
KitMaker: 14 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 09:16 AM UTC
Hi all,

I finished my Zvezda MiG 21bis in 1/72th scale. I have seen very nice planes in this campaign already, i'm a little ashamed to show mine. But the motto is, doing is learning so here is the result:

Sanding and filling

Prepaint

The underside

The nose art

The MiG 21bis in Soviet service

Paints used are revell enamels and tamiya gloss varnish before adding decals, after that, vallejo matt varnish and a black wash with promodellers wash. The cammo pattern is fictional, maybe it has some resemblance with Soviet Mig's that flew in Afghanistan, although in reality it needs to be more shattered with smaller dots, like the Mig 21 in the earlier topic in this campaing. That one is very very nice done.

Thanks for viewing, comments and suggestions welcome!

Ronald
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 09:26 AM UTC
Congratulations on finishing Ronald. It looks good. Be sure to post a pic or two in the gallery. "Q"
ppawlak1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
AeroScale: 59 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 04:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How about an update on everybody's progress? It's been rather quiet here lately. How is everybody's Mig's coming along? Thanks, "Q"

Q it'll be a couple of months before I start on mine.

Korean War Era Mig 15 bis, Trumpeter 1/48, Aires seat and Eduard Color PE.

I've also got myself a nice Squadron Walk around reference for this one too

Cheers

Paul
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 03:40 AM UTC
And the MiG-31's progressing steadily. Cockpit's done, canopy's on and it's up on its legs.

Just need to get the stabs installed and it will be time for paint.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 04:16 AM UTC
Nice work Adam. Keep at it. "Q"
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 07:35 AM UTC
Here's my situation. I had 2 Migs i could build, a Mig 15 and Mig 31. My memory card and card reader are broken so I can't quickly take update pics and post them. I'm really busy building models for my business and other aspects of the business so I haven't got time to build the Mig 31.

I've just built the Mig 15 this last week as part of a batch of planes I'm building for my business. My Dad has taken pictures of the latest batch of models including the Mig. I can upload a couple of pics into the gallery but if the rules are strict on progress pics, then I'll have to pull out of this campaign.

thanks
Mike
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 09:17 AM UTC
The campaign runs until the end of August. Shouldn't that give you time to get some pictures taken and posted? I have had problems with past campaigns where somebody would just post a pic in the gallery and that was it. I caught one guy in a flat out lie. Said he built an entry for such and such campaign yet the picture he posted clearly showed the date of the contest slip it was sitting on, and that date was over a year earlier. I'm not saying your trying to pull a fast one Mike, but progress pics would be nice. What type of business are you building? "Q"
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 05:39 AM UTC
We're an online model shop but we also sell built models and I take commissions. I have too much to build for the business and I'm starting getting commissions coming in now.
The current batch of 20 models I'm building (deadline end of March) are all post war, hence the Mig 15 (bit of a Korean War thing happening). I'm almost half way through this batch but I have a 1/48 Spitfire to build and 1/72 JU88G to promote my commission work. I have 2 possibly 3 commissions to start on in the next week or 2
After the post war batch, i'll be doing about 20 or so WW2 Mediterrennean theatre models, plus I'll lose a lot of time in June when i go to my sister's wedding in Norway. I really don't think I'll be doing the Mig 31 anytime soon but the Mig 15 has been done this last week.

thanks
Mike
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 04:35 AM UTC
I'm going ahead and jumping in. Will be doing the Academy 1/48 MiG-21PF as an Egyptian FM during the Six Day War (to go with the Mirage IIIC I'm doing in Cold War Jets). Here's the kit:

Note the Neomega seat. Nice seat, won't fit no matter what. Sigh. Also notice the small slip of decal in with the kit decal sheet. Those are small green stars to add to the kit roundels and flag if I can't find correct ones in my stash (which I may).

Here's the cockpit. Box standard except I cut some bits off the Neomega seat to dress up the kit one (it's not painted yet, obviously, and is only sitting there for now):

Hi ho!

Michael
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 03:16 AM UTC
Nice choice of colour scheme, Michael. It will be nice and colourful. However, beware of the Academy decals. They have trouble setting properly, so a good strong decal setting agent is needed.

I have just bought the special edition of the Eduard MiG-21. I could not resist it even though I have too many kits already. I plan to build it for this campaign when I receive it during March.
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 04:54 AM UTC
Jesper,

Can't wait to see your MiG!

I'm still looking in the decal stash to see if I can find correct UAR markings. In case I have to use the Academy ones, I plan to paint white backgrounds first (I don't like the translucent look to the white on the decals). I also have plenty of Solvaset handy if necessary.

Thanks for the warning!

Michael
SmashedGlass
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 105 posts
AeroScale: 62 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 01:46 PM UTC
Well, I'm back after wasting the entire month of February at JRTC rotation in lovely (note heavy sarcasm) Louisiana. I had started the old old old Revell MiG-29UB, intending to correct it's most glaring shape errors, and had made some quite good progress but........after having that entire thirty days to mull things over, methinks I'll shelve it. Just too much work for an unsatisfactory end result I'm afraid. So this week or weekend I'll be prowling the LHS's for another 72nd MiG of some sort, or just pulling one of my Trumpeter kits out of the stash. Haven't decided.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 12:37 AM UTC
Welcome home Erik. I got the kits set aside we spoke about. Compleat has been restocking as of late on their sale shelves. I got a plethora of 1/72 migs if your interested. 15's, 23's, and 21's mostly....
they're bagged, but they will build. Talk to you soon. "Q"
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 11:46 AM UTC
I picked up the Mig and worked a little on it while watching tv. I painted the seat and gave the wheel wells an black oil wash.

Photobucket

Erik, what is wrong with Lousyana, that is the state with all of those deliscious crawdads.

Bob
SmashedGlass
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 02:18 PM UTC
Yar.........Do NOT pick up the Airfix "MiG-15" if you want anything remotely accurate. Nice looking, but some bad mishaps on the mold making front. This puppy goes back to the LHS tomorrow morning for a return. Resume the hunt.....Why oh why is there such a scarcity of MiG's in my area?!?

Bob, they're only delish if one has an opportunity to taste them. Not much crawdad cookering goes on deep in the woods while playing Army.

(oh, Matt, methinks YOU janked that last MiG-29 from the Citadel HT.... grrr.)
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 02:34 PM UTC
@ Erik: never was a Mig lover, they look to much like fat fish to me. The only reason I joined this here campaign, Matt said he would tell everyone that I am really from TX and the locals here dont like us much. Any way I can remember when the first time that I saw the Airfix bagged Mig 15 in that ugly vomit blue plastic hanging on the wall at Bobbye Halls Hobby House in Dallas way back in 1967. Passed it up for the Me109 and a Revell P-51 with the horse on it.

Bob
SmashedGlass
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 03:45 PM UTC
This is the "new" MiG-15 from Airfix. Looks great in the box and even has surprisingly good decals but......one glance at scale plans and the honeymoon is over. Currently I guess the Hobby Boss -15's are the way to go for accuracy; oh, had I known BEFORE plunking down the money. Doh!
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 05:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is the "new" MiG-15 from Airfix. Looks great in the box and even has surprisingly good decals but......one glance at scale plans and the honeymoon is over. Currently I guess the Hobby Boss -15's are the way to go for accuracy; oh, had I known BEFORE plunking down the money. Doh!

Erik: there is a What If Campaign going on that you could enter. Maybe put the front end of a Hawker fury on the Mig and paint it in post war camo. just to make the kit worth it and not have to count the rivits and still have some fun.

WHAT IF CAMPAIGN ON AEROSCALE
http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Campaigns&file=index&req=showcontent&id=466

Bob
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 02:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's really a pity, because it looks nicely molded, but the bloody thing is some strange mishmash of a MiG-15 with MiG-17 dimensions. It's WAY too long and the wings mount too far back.

I'm not much of a rivet counter myself, I happily build 60's and 70's kits which aren't the most accurate, but the new MiG-15 is really too far gone for even my fairly low standards in terms of accuracy.
SmashedGlass
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 05:54 AM UTC
Exactly. I can deal with the older kits (big fan of Heller) with their lack of sophistication and whatnot, as long as the basic shapes are close to correct. It's a shame that it's the 21st century, with all the advances in mold making, and this one may perhaps be even worse in shape than the 30+ year old original Airfix MiG.
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
AeroScale: 111 posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 - 05:28 PM UTC
Hey all.

2011 has been kicking my butt, and not in a good way. In addition to dealing with some unforseen and potentially serious health issues, I'm going through some shakeups on the home front.

Short version: I've lost my modeling workspace and all my models are packed away in boxes.

However, I'm determined not to let all this get me down. I will not be able to complete any of the grandiose and detailed MiG-21 builds I had originally planned for this campaign, but I've decided that with a little creativity and some old school, kitchen-table modeling, I'll be able to put together something else.

I set this baby aside with the hopes of getting it done for the campaign. It won't be much, but I think I'm going to enjoy it. It will probably be a NMF bird with Polish markings from the Tammy 1:100 MiG-21 kit. I might even pose it in-flight.

More pics and build stuff to follow when I find my box of modeling supplies!

-YL
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 12:20 AM UTC
Sorry to hear about the health and other issues Yoni. Take care of yourself first, that is what is important. That being said, welcome to the campaign. Looking forward to seeing your Mig come to life. "Q"