Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: P-40, Work Horse of WWII Campaign
Matty_K
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 103 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 - 01:48 AM UTC
Some nice P-40s are coming along!

Well, I still build but unfortunately I‘m not building at the moment as I‘m ill for some days now, accompanied by rather high fever and some other nice things in tow.
I‘m really p.o.‘d, as we have beautiful late-summer weather here. I wanted to take some days off and finally finish this campaign.

Nevertheless, here‘s my update with the work status of some days ago - I stopped in the middle of painting the top camouflage because I got shaky. Now there‘s no chance in keeping the deadline anymore.

Cheers
Matt
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 - 01:55 AM UTC
Hey Matt, I'm sorry to hear that you're not well, I hope things improve soon. Keep going with your build when you can, it's looking great so far, and make sure you post pics here for us.

Cheers, D
Matty_K
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 103 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 - 02:51 AM UTC
Hi Damian,
Thank you for your nice words. I‘ll be back at my workbench as soon as I‘m able to. Updates are coming for sure.

Cheers
Matt
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 - 04:10 AM UTC
OK, more or less finished with my P-40E.

It is Lt. John D Landers' "Texas Longhorn". Ironically, Landers attended college at Texas A&M University - their rival college, the University of Texas, are referred to as the "Texas Longhorns". That college rivalry (as well as the mascot) well predates WWII. Perhaps this was an inside joke, or maybe he just didn't care, being originally from Oklahoma. {shrug}

I am not quite finished with details like stringing antenna and putting on the gun sights, but she is close enough to present for the end of the campaign as done.

The aircraft came from British stocks, hence the British roundels on the wings and fin flashes over-painted with OD green. While never shown in color profiles of this aircraft, I think this is likely to be accurate given indirect evidence from photos. Also the small black stripe on the spinner is never presented in color profiles, but is clearly evident in one photo of the aircraft.

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 - 04:20 AM UTC
Very nice job Vance, great little history lesson too. I love the irregular finish with the overpainted markings, it sets this one apart from the "typical" schemes.

Congrats on getting it done, and thanks for joining in and sharing your work.

Cheers, D
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 - 05:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice job Vance, great little history lesson too. I love the irregular finish with the overpainted markings, it sets this one apart from the "typical" schemes.

Congrats on getting it done, and thanks for joining in and sharing your work.

Cheers, D

Thanks for the kind words, Damian. =)

And thank you very much for running the campaign - and the extension that allowed me to earn the ribbon I designed!
Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 - 08:39 AM UTC
Well here is my finished Finnish P-40, first time I used Microscale mask and it came off in pieces and left residue on the canopy. Any tips that can be useful in using this stuff?
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 - 09:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well here is my finished Finnish P-40, first time I used Microscale mask and it came off in pieces and left residue on the canopy. Any tips that can be useful in using this stuff?[/img]

warm soapy water and Q-tip cotton swab is usually good for getting the residue off. If that doesn't work isopropyl alcohol will do it, but that'll also strip acrylic or lacquer paint
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
AeroScale: 255 posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 - 10:16 AM UTC
Brilliant work Vance. I also wanted to do the Texas Longhorn first, but then opted for a shark-mouth. I'm now glad that the honor was yours.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 - 01:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the kind words, Damian. =)

Most welcome, it's a beautiful build !

Quoted Text

And thank you very much for running the campaign - and the extension that allowed me to earn the ribbon I designed!

It's a great ribbon Vance, so the extension was really all about ME, but it does make me look like a good Aeroscale community citizen, right ?

Trevor, nice job on the Finnish scheme, make sure you post a pic or two in the Campaign Gallery for us.

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 - 06:06 PM UTC
OK, I'm calling this one done in terms of this Campaign.

A couple of things to fix, the white stripe decal on the spinner broke into several pieces and didn't lay on really well, so I might paint over it later. The star&bar on the wing underside has started to shatter so I will source another and overlay it. I am going to give it a was to highlight the panel lines and rivets, and some exhaust stains and oil marks will be added.

Overall this kit went together really well. I'm sorry about the poor quality pics, my digicam is broken so I'm using a cheapy for the moment.

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 - 08:00 PM UTC
Well guys and gals I have awarded ribbons to everybody who has posted pics in the gallery. Please let me know if you finished but didn't get a ribbon.

Firstly I would like to dedicate my build in this Campaign to our friend Hermon (VonCuda), who has been absent for months now due to the ill health of his wife Selena. Hermon sent the kit gratis, from his own stash, to me so that I could participate here, and I am very appreciative. Our thoughts and best wishes are always with you, Selena and the boys my friend.

Secondly a big thanks to Bob R (BigRip74) for getting the ball rolling here. I'm proud to have been able to help out and finish the job mate, hopefully up to your exacting standards. I hope you can join us again soon with some builds of your own.

Thirdly, a big thanks to everybody who has contributed during the Campaign, either with a build or just with supporting comments. By my reckoning we have 20 completed builds from 38 enlisted, and they are all great work as well !

Cheers, D
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
AeroScale: 255 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2011 - 05:10 AM UTC
Thanks for taking over and getting us to the end Damian. It was a campaign I truly enjoyed and enabled me to build an aircraft I always wanted : a shark-mouth P-40.

Also many thanks to Bob R, wishing the best for him.
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2011 - 05:47 AM UTC
Greetings everyone,

Here it is! Damian thanks for hosting the campaign. I enjoyed viewing all the last minutes entries. Great work everyone! I wonder if we should consider having a P-40 build on an annual basis or maybe even a Special Interest Group like the P-47 SIG. The P-40 certainly was a workhorse of WWII.

Here is my finished pictures as promised. I do plan on detail painting and weathering at some point. It looks to clean!!
All the best,
Brian

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2011 - 03:54 PM UTC
Good work Brian, your build turned out very nicely indeed ! I have awarded your ribbon.

I agree with the idea of an annual P-40 Campaign, everybody should have a few in their display cabinet and there are just sooooooooo many options in terms of colour schemes and markings.

Cheers, D
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 02, 2011 - 09:22 AM UTC
Great builds everyone!
Trevor, great to see your Finnish P-40 finished. Turned out nice. Hope you got the canopy mask issue solved.
Like with the MiG campaign, I couldn't get my entry done in time. Having started my English studies at Helsinki Uni in late August, I found myself either with no time or energy to do much (if any) modeling. And thinking about it, there wasn't even that much work left to be done on my P-40, basically just the smaller exterior details, weathering and finishing. I shouldn't have been that lazy all summer...
But I'll get it done sometimes soon.

And thanks for running the campaign, I had a great time.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 02, 2011 - 11:31 PM UTC
I almost forgot, I am a very bad Dad. While I was building my big 1/32 P-40, my 6yo boy Liam was building his own little 1/72 Academy version. Today he helped me airbrush the flat clear on to finish the job (including the canopy) . . . . .

He's chasing "bad guys planes" up and down the hallway now !

Cheers, D
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2011 - 04:37 PM UTC
You guys, never cease to amaze me with your builds. Great progress has been made on some amazing aircraft. And Damian I at no time thought that you were bad dad, I bet to your little ones you are the best dad anywhere. I just had to pop in.

Bob
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 - 11:03 PM UTC
Thought I would post a couple more shots of my build. Thanks for looking, Russell