Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Corsair's the Sky Pirates Campaign
SUNDON
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 158 posts
AeroScale: 155 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2011 - 10:49 PM UTC
Been busy over the weekend all the major painting has been compleated and a couple of coats of klear added.

Tried some chipping by using some masking liquid and i'm quite happy with the result.

Ready for some decals now , just going to use the ones supplied with the kit.

Thanks for looking

Martin
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
AeroScale: 255 posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 - 01:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Emre, the ground crew need to be fired! They've installed that poor airplane's control stick backwards!

As Homer Simpson would say... "Doh!" I realized it only after taking the photos and painting everything...
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 - 07:43 AM UTC
@Adam
Thanks for your information, mate! Hmm, tri-colour is not want I want on this Corsair .... In Osprey's Corsair Aces I found this profil of the machine in question. In the appendix it says "....it is finished in Ocean Blue with Light Grey undersides ....." What do they mean with "Ocean Blue"? Hopefully not Sea Blue FS 35042. That's too dark ....

... Some time ago I've built the F4U-2 Night Corsair from Tamiya and used Blue FS 35237 for the upperside and FS 36440 for the underside. I think that would suit the Kiwi Corsair also well ..... Any other opinions???

@Emre
Good luck with your model! That Revell F4U-5 is a reboxed Hasegawa kit. Shouldn't give you much hassle, if any. Maybe a little trouble with the fitting of the canopy, as always with Hasegawa kits. I have here the same kit, which will become a Hondurian Air Force bird from this stupid "Football War" one day. I followed your troubles with the Bf 110 in the Zerstorer thread. Too bad it landed in the bin. Eduard kits are not as good as people always say. My Fw 190 A-8 also flew out ot of the (opened) window .... The only newer 1/48 kit of Eduard I can recommend is the Hellcat. That's really a fine one.

Happy modelling everyone!
Torsten
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 - 09:04 AM UTC
Well I've started the Sluff

the cockpit is done

and the exhaust area painted with Gunze polished Iron

And the fuselage buttoned up

I also started smoothing out the the poor fit of the mating of the intake and undercarriage bay halves

Thats all for now
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 - 09:20 AM UTC
Hey, that's not fair... Allen's getting help from actual pirates!

Thanks for the info Torsten. From the molds themselves I could tell the kit was actually Hasegawa, the difference is very visible compared to Revell's own kits.

As per Jessica's instructions, the ground crew got a serious tongue lashing and they have been grounded in the base. The control stick was corrected and then the cocpit was completely painted (and repaired after I had to cut out and reattach the stick).

The instrument panels were done with white colored pencil. There are some rough areas but it is easy to remove (just touch with your finger and it's gone). Not too bad I guess.

Here's where I'm kind of lost. Revell tells me to paint the rear wall of the cockpit interior green (or chromate to be precise). On the other hand, other sources and modelere here tell me everything that is higher than the instruments on the sides should be black. Should I paint the rear wall black? If so, what about the pilot's seat, that's black as well? Heeeelp!

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 - 10:12 AM UTC
I'd get in that and fly, if only I could fit That's a lovely job done with the instruments.

The rear bulkhead was most likely black but the seat probably wasn't. And anyway, it adds to visual interest if you leave the seat green. Mine's going to be green, just because.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 - 10:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey, that's not fair... Allen's getting help from actual pirates!

But he's not that much help... he's only got one hand and one leg
flyboy92187
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
AeroScale: 150 posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 - 12:20 PM UTC
I know it isn't Corsair related, but I saw the dismay over the eduard kits. Needless to say I also had one that gave me fits. I almost let my cats have at it... The Fw-190 A-5 kit... Definate fit issues, and general rage. But, I also did their P-39, and that went together just fine.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 - 05:45 PM UTC
Some primer is on after the preliminary session of sanding.

The wing roots definitely need some tender loving care.

windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 01:07 AM UTC
Emri- white pencil? I'd never heard of using that before-- brilliant! I always saw the headrest cushion as a drab brown color. I hadn't noticed the black upper cockpit-- if so, mine is wrong.
Anyway, I've got bigger troubles with these wing gaps...
WingGaps-20110919-2102.jpg
Mismatch-20110919-2102.jpg
Since I grabbed a kit with raised panel lines, I can't do too much filling and sanding without redoing the entire kit. It was apparently made to model folded wings, even though this boxing doesn't include that option. I'll fill as best as I can and soldier on to the finish.
Cheers!
-Sean H.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 02:51 AM UTC
Sean, try the nail polish remover trick. Mask a thin strip on either side off the fold lines, apply putty and immediately wipe it off with nail polish remover. You'll smooth the putty down and preserve the raised lines at the same time.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 03:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sean, try the nail polish remover trick. Mask a thin strip on either side off the fold lines, apply putty and immediately wipe it off with nail polish remover. You'll smooth the putty down and preserve the raised lines at the same time.

To butch-up my efforts, can we call it acetone or super glue remover instead of nail polish remover? (even though that's what my bottle says. )
I'll definitely try that though!
thanks,
Sean.
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 06:49 AM UTC
Sean, alternatively you can use Vallejo's putty and wipe it with alcohol. Less riskier than acetone, which likes to eat away plastic. I think this also works with Mr Dissolved Putty from Gunze. Not much use on others though.

By the way, black upper rearwall is just a test I couldn't decide whether to paint it black or zinc chromate, so I made the top black just to see how it would look like. I think I will make all of it black, similar to the side walls, then apply a wash to everything before closing the cockpit.
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 03:46 PM UTC
Got the basic airframe together and it barely needs filler. Just need to get the cowl on and fill the step in the flap (a definite no-no for an early F4U-1 like this one)

Hasegawa F4U-1 Corsair 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 06:17 PM UTC
Laid some paint on the sprue of my F4U-1d subject, before doing any more on this build I have to put it back in the box, for a few weeks, {while I finish off a consignment build}. Undecided on the wing load or configuration as yet.

Removed by original poster on 09/22/11 - 06:16:59 (GMT).
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 07:20 PM UTC
Okay, my cockpit is complete and now it's time to mate the fuselage halves and start assembling the actual aircraft!

shorty53
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 175 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 12:38 AM UTC
Cockpit done & wings glued together.

windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 02:01 AM UTC
Emri, I feel foolish for having commented on how to paint the cockpit. You clearly know what you're doing! I wish mine was that good. If I followed the conversation correctly, the black is postwar or late war, and my green cockpit is correct for an earlier 3-tone-camo Corsair? Anyway, very nice work!

As for mine, I tried that masking, Squadron green putty, then wiping with nail polish remover (the label says "extra protein, acetone-free", whatever that means). I wiped a little more after removing the tape, because of the putty trapped against the tape edges.
GapFilled-20110921-2134.jpg
GapUnmasked-20110921-2143.jpg

I also followed some more detail painting. I decided that since I would be attaching the canopy with white glue, and the canopy is up in the solid blue paint, I'd attach it after painting was over. Note that I've put masking tape behind the canopy pieces and Scotch cellophane tape across the front, then cut with an X-acto #11 along the "glass" pane edges to expose the frames to painting. Here they also have a first coat of green interior paint.
LaterDets-20110921-2203.jpg
Oh, yeah, and here's the seat-- masking tape belts, and buckles painted on with a mix of black and silver. I like Emri's better.
Seatbelts-20110921-2144.jpg
Cheers!
-Sean.
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 10:14 AM UTC
Sean, the putty trick seems to have worked well. As for the cockpit, well I try to do the best I can, but it's more my investment in an Ultracast seat rather than my skills (BTW, resin seats are hazardous... they get you addicted and then you start spending all your money on them!)
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 01:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

(BTW, resin seats are hazardous... they get you addicted and then you start spending all your money on them!)

And after that you take the next step to complete cockpits, wheels, and exhausts. Then you hit the hard stuff: Conversion kits. By then you're lost to the resin addiction and you may as well stop resisting those complete resin kits.

Thus does another modeller fall from the pure path of Polystyrene.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 - 04:23 AM UTC
A little update from me. Cockpits are done but no belts as the guys wait to be seated

That will be all for this week as I'm off to the IPMS Swiss Nationals in Basel this weekened. Just a 2 hours drive down the highway.

Happy modelling!
Torsten
SUNDON
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 158 posts
AeroScale: 155 posts
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 - 04:59 AM UTC
Made quite a lot of progress this week.

Gone with the box markings with this build sealed with a couple of coats of klear.

Just got to add the cockpit glass and the other bits and peices before some weathering.

Hopefully have it finished by the end of next week.

Thanks for looking

Martin
GhostHawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cordoba, Argentina
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 - 05:04 AM UTC
Hello,

I´m new on this and a wand to join in to this campaign…

My Corsair and Me… of course

I only work on little bits, so is less than 25%...

Are “We” still on time…?

Can you explain me haw can Do the enlistment…?

Thanks
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 - 06:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can you explain me haw can Do the enlistment…?

Welcome!
Look for the "Campaigns" tab at the top of your screen. Click that and you'll see the list of all the active campaigns going on. Look for the campaign title "Corsairs the sky pirates" and click that one. You'll find yourself at the campaign page with all the rules. Look on the right side for a button that says "Enlist" and click it. That's all you need to do

Oh, except build your model and share it with us, that is