Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Super Sukhois Campaign
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2012 - 06:02 AM UTC
Be careful about that turquiose! Sukhois got a much lighter almost greyish colour than MiGs did. It's very similar to the darker of the exterior blue-greys.
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2012 - 08:16 AM UTC
Hi All,

For my entry in this campaign I intend to build the Su 35 from this kit, which was given to me sometime ago.

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2012 - 08:39 AM UTC
Hi there Rob, I see you got my message! Thanks for joining the campaign, looking forward to seeing your work. Russell
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
AeroScale: 564 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2012 - 10:50 PM UTC
August 19th update:
Cockpit tubs, side panels and instrument panels are ready to be installed in the fuselage:

Can breathe more easily now that these fiddly parts are done
Julian
Arrrgee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 54 posts
AeroScale: 43 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 01:01 AM UTC
Thanks Jessica, I was looking at those images myself after enlisting as referance for my model, and I was surprised at how much variation there appeared to be, one or two look full on turqoise and like you say others look blue-grey even pale blue grey. I've just took delivery of the paints yesterday, I have cockpit interior turqoise, dark blue grey, pale blue grey and medium blue. I think I'll use the dark blue grey for my cockpit as well as for the camoflage scheme and leave the turqoise for other projects, I want to do a Mig 25 and 31 in the future so I will deffinately end up using that colour sometime.
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 04:35 AM UTC
Well, I am going to jump in the arena with a Monogram 1/48th scale SU-25...............the epitome of a plank wing mud-mover. I will probably go with Linden Hill decals once I figure out which scheme I want to do. Probably Chad, Ukraine or Equatorial Guinea.

Julian, great looking interior on your aircraft!!!!!!

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 04:54 AM UTC
Hi Ian, thanks for joining us here on our Sukhoi campaign. That Sukhoi 25 sure is a mud mover, you are right on that one. It has a very functional look to it. Looking forward to what you do with it. Take care, Russell
Gremlin56
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 05:03 AM UTC
Thank you very much Ian,
The Su-25 is one of my favourite aircraft. I should be getting my hands on the Revell 1/48 single seat Frogfoot this week so that I can build the poison frog camo version.

Looking forward to seeing your build of the "Tblisi tankbuster".
Cheers,
Julian
gconterio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
AeroScale: 39 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 05:59 AM UTC
I'm a bit late, but please count me in!
This will be my first Aeroscale campaign. I am thinking of doing either another Trumpeter 1/72 Su-15TM, or possibly an Amodel Su-9 or Su-11, all of which are sitting in my stash, awaiting attention.
gconterio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 06:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here is something I found, does anyone know if this camouflage job is accurate? I think it looks good. Wonder what blues to use on it if I do it? Thanks, Russell

It'a always difficult to absolutely say a particular vehicle NEVER appeared in a particular color scheme, but I find this one dubious. I have a fairly extensive collection of references on the Flagon, as it has been one of those aircraft that I have obsessed over quite a bit over the years, and have never seen a hint of one in air superiority greys. Moreover, such a scheme does not really fit the role of the Flagon, which was not a dogfighter, but an interceptor. Aircraft camo serves one of two purposes: to conceal the aircraft while parked, or to conceal the aircraft while in-flight. The grey schemes are for the latter, and an interceptor's role is not such where there is much use to concealment in the air.
There is certainly nothing wrong with doing a "What-If" scheme though!
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 07:08 AM UTC
Great picture, Julian. That's alot of pain and anguish in all those rocket pods!!!!

Best wishes, Ian

Quoted Text

Thank you very much Ian,
The Su-25 is one of my favourite aircraft. I should be getting my hands on the Revell 1/48 single seat Frogfoot this week so that I can build the poison frog camo version.

Looking forward to seeing your build of the "Tblisi tankbuster".
Cheers,
Julian

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 07:27 AM UTC
Hello Greg, welcome to the Sukhoi campaign. You and I may be building the same airplane it looks like, thanks for the information about the colors. I thought they looked blue though not grey! I may do a what if scheme just for fun, who knows. I have a couple months to decide don't I? ha ha

I wonder what the point of camouflage on the SU-15 was as portrayed on the box art on the Trumpeter kit? Who knows. Russell
gconterio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 08:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wonder what the point of camouflage on the SU-15 was as portrayed on the box art on the Trumpeter kit? Who knows. Russell

Hi Russell,
Usually earth-tone type cammo is intended to help conceal an aircraft parked on the ground, with a secondary function to help make it harder to spot from above when it is in ground attack mode. Of course the Su-15 was never used as a ground attack aircraft, but late in its career, a number were transferred from the interceptor branch of the air force to Frontal Aviation, which is the tactical branch, and generally deployed to forward airbases, which are more likely to be directly targeted by the enemy. Thus the ground-concealment cammo. Certainly makes it much more interesting than the overall silver finish!
If I do my Su-15, it will be in bare metal though. Same for the Su-9 or 11 of course, since I'm not aware of either of those aircraft appearing in cammo! I've been really into bare metal finishes lately.
iflytb20
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kerala, India / भारत
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 194 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 - 12:43 AM UTC
My entry for the campaign. Academy 1/48 Su27 Flanker B. I plan to use the Wolfpack resin cockpit set and if my courage holds, the wheel well set as well

Su27 by iflytb20, on Flickr

Su27 by iflytb20, on Flickr
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 - 02:36 AM UTC
Hi Raj, welcome to the Sukhoi campaign. Looking forward to seeing your work. Russell
Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 - 05:45 AM UTC
Nice Flanker Raj
Julian
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 - 07:26 AM UTC
Interesting choice of kit, Rob. I have many bad things about the brand. Can you share a few sprue shots? It will be interesting to follow.

Ian, I think I will build same kit as you, but have not decided on camouflage a nd markings yet. Have you made any decisions?
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 - 08:30 AM UTC

Jesper, I think it will be Linden Hill's SU-25 Rooks Pt 2. I am torn between the one from the Ukrainian AF and the one from the Equatorial Guinea AF. They are really cool schemes.

Regards, Ian

Quoted Text

Interesting choice of kit, Rob. I have many bad things about the brand. Can you share a few sprue shots? It will be interesting to follow.

Ian, I think I will build same kit as you, but have not decided on camouflage a nd markings yet. Have you made any decisions?

Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 07:02 AM UTC
The "Poison Frog"arrived today:

Meanwhile the Frogfoot UB is getting to look like a, well, a Frogfoot UB

The fit of the fuselage halves was dreadful, clamps, tape, buckets of putty etc. Seem to be pulling out from that part of the build though
Cheers,
Julian
didgeboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 06:26 PM UTC
Little intimidated by the work happening here, some really nice builds going on. Ok, so this is my first aircraft model in let's say like 20+ years, and then I only "started" the assembly process and never finished any, ever, so your kindness and mentoring is appreciated (I am mostly an armor guy, but even then limited in experience).

So I have chosen the Tamiya 1/72 SU 34 Strike Flanker (aka Fullback or Platypus). The kit is a re-issue of the Italieri, Revell and Zevesda (i believe), so while its not up to the usual Tamiya standards, it still seems pretty good and the instructions seem easy enough to understand (good thing too as I do not read Kanji . . . .). Construction began this evening, as I have been tied up with moving my business from one location to another. After looking over the instructions I dug in with the cockpit, really just the seats. Usually on the Tamiya kits the part fit is what you are really paying for and this one leaves a bit to be desired. There is not the usual pin and hole or snug fit into two places that you usually find, but rather one bottom guide on the seat sides that you line up and hope for the best. Once I did this I realized how bad the detail is on the seats and cockpit so I decided to make some seat belts from lead foil. These turned out well enough and while they may not be accurate, at least add some detail to the whole deal. The ejection handles still need to be added and I fiddled with trying to make these from brass wire with no luck, but plenty of frustration. If anyone has a good solution short of the after market kits, let me know, I am all ears. So that's it, as sad as it is, I am a slow builder. Here are some pictures of the start. Cheers.

Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 06:54 PM UTC
Nice choice Damon,
cheers,
Julian
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 06:16 AM UTC
I haven't decided which Sukhoi in my stash I am doing yet, an Su-22 (Eduard upgrade of the Kopro 1/48 kit) or a an Su-27 (from the Academy 1/48 kit) possibly upgraded to Su-27SK standards:

I could have sworn I had an Su-7 in my stash, but it seems to have gone AWOL...
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 09:32 AM UTC
Damon, glad to have you onboard with this campaign! Don't worry about slow building, I haven't finished a kit this year I think! Yikes. Hope your choice of kit goes well, it sure is an interesting subject for sure. I wouldn't mind having one in my stash of kits someday. Vance, I'm sure you will come up with a kit sometime. Everyone should relax, you have got till the end of January 2013 to finish. I still have to get going on my fighters campaign before I can start on my Sukhoi 15. Russell
didgeboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 02:57 AM UTC
thanks Russ. Managed to get the cockpit together and base coated last night. I am using the AKAN paints Modern Russian Colour Set, which is designed for the SU 34 and like, and they worked great. Thinned heavily with 99% denatured iso sprayed on nice and clean. They do clog up the tip a bit, as drying time seems quick, will try it with retarder next time and see if this helps. Cheers.
Grenadier37
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 232 posts
AeroScale: 155 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 03:47 AM UTC
I'm in!

I've been away from the forums for a while and popped in when I went looking for info on the Revell 1/32 He219...GasBagMarty strikes again.

ANYWAY! I'll be building the Hasegawa 1/72 Su-27 with the Quickboost resin nose, seat and horizontal bits. All the QB stuff is on order so my in progeress pics are...in progress.