Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Devils in the Dark: Nightfighters!
oraora
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kuching, Malaysia
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 128 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2013 - 09:07 PM UTC
@chris: it's 72nd scale. I'm not sure about the fittings as I haven't really started but it looks acceptable.
Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 - 10:34 PM UTC
With that I have seen there are many wonderful builds. AS for my wing alignment it mainly has to do with the kit. Firstly the two wings are a butt joint which there within is a problem. The ventral(belly) has an arch which has a spring to it. I could flatten it out too make the wings mate though that would ruin the profile. Trolling through the web there have been a few that stated this flaw. Werner's solution was to join the wings together before attaching them to the fuselage. This left a wing root gap which I believe is easier to fix. Was thinking to placing spacers to widen the wing chord though that may interfere with the flaps. I have several more kits to build and will find a plausible solution. This kit will be no show stopper.
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 01:33 AM UTC
I agree with Trevor about the fine builds going forward here, congrats to all! Just for fun, I want to point out that as of today (Feb. 13) we have 10 photos of three completed builds in the gallery (well done to Sal, Torsten and Chris!) None of the galleries for any of the other 2013 AeroScale campaigns have any other photos posted at all yet. Go Devils in the Dark, we are #1, all others are #2 or less!

Michael
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 09:21 PM UTC
Well Michael with that being said we do appear to have some speed builders amongst us. Although I would say in the Case of Torsten and Myself the kit we chose helped immensely! No major flaws in the kit, fit was excellent and the detail pretty good given the age of the kit. The decals performed as advertised and when completed they look ... well .... purposefully deadly! I'd like to extend my thanks to you for the idea for this group build and to the admin staff for working to get us off the mark smartly and for working so hard on our behalf! Now I can't wait to see what else this campaign will offer as completed builds!

@Michael: Just as an after thought Michael should I remove a few of my pics from the gallery? I must admit to not realizing I'd posted so many. my apologies if they are taking up valuable space.
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 01:18 AM UTC
Chris,

I'm not aware of any size limit on galleries and you certainly built a beautiful model, so I'd hate to see less of it. Maybe Sam will chime in on this.

Michael
Antoon3103
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 224 posts
AeroScale: 146 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 06:49 AM UTC
Hello,

I have just enlisted for this campaign.
This is my pick:

Starting pics in a few days

Greet
Tony
Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 01:05 PM UTC
I am thinking of also building a Swiss flagged Bf 110G. What is holding me back is figuring out how wide to make the red and white stripes. Anyone have the formula or such so that I can determine the width for the wings and fuselage? Thanks.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 05:55 PM UTC
Some sub-assemblies. The wings:

The cockpit:

Just a little touching up needed and then I can close up the fuselage. But first, a test fit. Getting the wings on is a bit tricky, because the tolerances are so tight. I almost won't need glue when the time comes.

Among other things, I have to finish the equipment shelf which lives behind the cockpit:

Very shortly, however, I'm going to have an airplane.
Tailor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
AeroScale: 199 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 07:20 AM UTC
There's been a whole lot going on here.
Having finally finished the latest AFV project, it is time to join the fray. Being a bit limited in time due to other pending projects, I decided to build a small project.

I have started already and now I wonder, if anyone has built this kit. The instructions ask for 20gr as nose weight. I have a 20gr lead piece and seems to require more room than available even, if I chip it into smaller pieces.

TIA for your advise!

Cheers,
Guido
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 07:30 AM UTC
Chip it up and stuff it into every available corner, not neglecting the drop tanks and engines?
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 09:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The instructions ask for 20gr as nose weight. I have a 20gr lead piece and seems to require more room than available even,

Try Gold and, failing that, uranium.
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 03:58 PM UTC
Well I am getting some where, finally.

Cockpit done, ready to go in.

And I even got the fuselage together.

Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
AeroScale: 508 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 04:02 PM UTC
Look's Good Kevin!

Cheers Rob.
Tailor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 07:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The instructions ask for 20gr as nose weight. I have a 20gr lead piece and seems to require more room than available even,

Try Gold and, failing that, uranium.

The missus gave me all kinds of hell last time I used Uranium, I think I'll try chipped lead, as Jessie said.

Cheers,
Guido
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 08:41 AM UTC
Guido,

Doesn't uranium eventually melt the plastic? It always has mine (but it makes a cool glow for a while first!)

OK, I'm calling this one done. The Tamiya 1/48 Mosquito NF.XIII, out of the box with 409 Sqn. markings.

That's four completed models in our gallery so far. Way to go everyone!

Michael
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 08:46 AM UTC
Wow, Michael, great looking Mossie there!! Really like it. Thanks for sharing it with us all. Russell
Tailor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 06:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Doesn't uranium eventually melt the plastic? It always has mine (but it makes a cool glow for a while first!)

Glow-in-the-dark night-figther? NOT good! Seems to defy the purpose..
Guido
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 02:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Glow-in-the-dark night-figther? NOT good! Seems to defy the purpose..

Well the pilot has to see somehow...
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 08:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

.....OK, I'm calling this one done. The Tamiya 1/48 Mosquito NF.XIII, out of the box with 409 Sqn. markings....
Michael

Michael, that's a nice Mossie! Well done! I think I have to get that kit also .....
Chris, compared with the guys in my club I'm really a speed builder, but really I'm not, at least I don't think I am. A friend of mine builds 4 models in a month (1/48). That's what would I call speed building .... He has done the AMT Tigercat within 6 days (after seeing mine ....)
@all, some nice progress going on here. Keep this thread rocking.

Torsten
Fister30
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
AeroScale: 38 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 08:19 AM UTC
Here is a little update

c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 05:00 PM UTC
@Torsten: Lol the speed builder part as aimed squarely at the group in this current campaign and in this august company we both turned out fairly quick builds and as Michael pointed out that we were the first of the campaigns this year to get pics in the campaign gallery. So well done to all of us!

@Jon: Loving the Corsair Jon! A question if I might? I notice that the Corsair only has Two gun ports on the side with the radar is this a weight saving measure to keep the aircraft from being heavier on one side?

@one and all: Great builds so far! The builds are coming along great and they are a diverse bunch of kits! Can't wait to see the finished gallery! All that fantastic plastic and resin for those of us building resin kits!
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 05:45 PM UTC
All of a sudden I have an airplane!

Once the glue is dry I can set about polishing up the seams and getting ready for paint.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 - 08:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here is a little update

Hi Jon,

Although there is nothing explicitly written in the rules there is an un-written rule that the same model cannot be built for more than one campaign as this is unfair for other members if you were to get 2 ribbons for one model while other members would get the same 2 ribbons for building two different kits. (the exception to this is the current diorama campaign where you can use an aircraft from another campaign as long as its not the main subject).

Can you please choose which campaign (this one or Anything Goes) you would like to use the Corsair for and select another kit for the other campaign.

Thanks

Allen
Fister30
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
AeroScale: 38 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 - 09:45 AM UTC
@Chris...they removed one gun and reduced the amount of ammo of the remaining guns for balance, because of the added weight of the radar.

@Allen....I am aware of the one build per campaign rule...it was posted in the wrong thread by mistake....if you hadn't noticed I am building an F-14A in the anything goes campaign.....

Decals on, after another coat of future and the weathering begins

tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 12:56 PM UTC
Here is a update on my entry.