Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Official: Russell Anderson Memorial Campaign
North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 960 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 - 02:21 PM UTC
Ben and Terri thanks. On to the Uri Gagarin next. This campaign was a wonderful idea.
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 - 03:36 PM UTC
Brent---Great looking shuttle craft. A very crisp looking build indeed.

Rob---Always good to see a Rhino in the mix. Hope you are well.

Andrew---Looking forward to more of the Victor. Incidentally, that is a great looking Hunter too.

Best wishes,

Ian
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 - 03:40 PM UTC
Ben;

Does you CF-100 have it's decals? I found a sheet in Russell's decal bin.
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 - 03:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Brent , she is fantastic ! Russell would be very proud on the work you have done

I completely concur! Thanks, Brent. 1/50? Might it be integrated into an O scale layout? ;-)

Yes, so many wonderful models here!
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 - 03:46 PM UTC
I can't decide what to build. I have Russell's Airfix Firefly Mk V on the table. He really admired the Firefly.

He also started an F-80 that he enjoyed. So many options.
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 - 04:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ben;

Does you CF-100 have it's decals? I found a sheet in Russell's decal bin.

Yep, Fred, the kit came complete with decals and everything else. Perhaps Russell had a 2nd CF-100 at one time; or they might be AM decals.

Anyway, the Canuck is well underway. Photos soon.
Toad-In-The-Hole
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Taipei, Taiwan / 台灣
KitMaker: 44 posts
AeroScale: 38 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 01:48 AM UTC
Almost done. I hated the paints included with this kit. A real struggle to keep on the plastic, bubbly no matter how much I stirred...

For the next starter kit I make, I think I will buy Tamiya paints rather than using the Airfix included paints. Always found Tamiya paints to be really good.

Anyway, got my camera fixed just in time for the final stages and... depending on the quality, sometimes the most frustrating stage applying the decals

The Red Arrow with first decal applied.

Despite the poor paint, the Red Arrow decal sheet is really good. Fast drying, pretty strong so they don't tear, easy to apply etc.

Also, to give Airfix some credit after me badmouthing their paints, they're instructions are probably the easiest to follow, clearest and most detailed I've seen out of the few models I've made so far. Excellent instructions included.

Hope my poor red paint was just a one off and the paint in the other starter kits is fine
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
AeroScale: 508 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 02:25 AM UTC
Thanks Ian!

I got the plane ready for the primer coat on the top and painted it.

Cheers Rob.

Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 02:52 AM UTC
Rob - that F-4 is now looking real nice!!
Jack - Your coming right along. Truthfully, I have a couple of starter kits that come with paint. I just bin those right off the top, and stick with what I'm used to. Your Red Arrow scheme is an attractive display, for sure.
North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 960 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 04:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Brent , she is fantastic ! Russell would be very proud on the work you have done

I completely concur! Thanks, Brent. 1/50? Might it be integrated into an O scale layout?

Via a time warp the crew of the Enterprise visit the Roaring Camp and Big Trees Railroad and logging operation in 1920. Maybe the trip is an excuse to sample the loggers breakfast of bacon, flapjacks, eggs, ham, biscuits and gravy with strong coffee. Replicated food gets to be a drag after awhile, you know.
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 08:58 AM UTC
heres a quick update on how i'm getting on with russell's Heinkel 219.
i've just done a bit of tidying up on the wing to fuselage joins and re-set the tail. the fit on this kit is pretty bad in these areas (not russells model building i hasten to add!) i did a bit of snooping around google for a bit of info on this kit and the phrase "fit issues" certainly did crop up!

that apart, i'm now trying to cram in as much weight as i possibly can to make it sit on its nose wheel properly, whilst i am going to dig out some bases i know i have somewhere, and mount this kit on that, i would still like to do this without attaching the 219 to the base permanently.

pics so far-

in this pic the space from the wing root to the back of the cockpit has been filled with lead, still tail sits!

another problem with this kits design is that the main gear bay has a "floating" floor (or ceiling depending on which way you look at it!) i placed small bits of sprue at the back to support the gear legs as i had a feeling i would be putting a lot of weight in to keep the nose down.......

.....as you can see here, some surgery on the nacelle which was then filled with lead and its just not quite enough, so it looks like i will repeat this on the other side.

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 08:08 AM UTC
Hi again

Great work everyone! I think I'm due at least half a day away from editing, so I hope to get a bit done on my neglected Ju 88 tomorrow...

All the best

Rowan
Nito74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
AeroScale: 635 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 10:33 AM UTC
Worked on the fuel tanks and weapons internal bay.

Here's a photo of the F-106 side by side with my Trumpeter's Campaign build:

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 06:30 PM UTC
I have managed to start my Airfix 1/72 Hawker Typhoon. I am very impressed with the engineering of this kit as well as the detail
I can't get any paint on at the moment as I am fitting an extraction unit into my spray booth and I have cocked up on where the exit will go so I have had to order some more parts to re-position it!

Yes I will be including the pilot as this will be finished wheels up, an option in the kit. This will, of coursed, have all the marking painted on and it will be used to fashion the camo masks for the Typhoon
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 02:31 PM UTC
I got the grey on the bottom and the first green on top.

Cheers Rob.

Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 05:10 PM UTC
Hi, John. The F106 Delta Dart is a sleek, fast looking aircraft. Even in the unfinished state yours is in now, she just looks really cool . Hope to see more soon.

Mal - I've just recently built an Airfix Typhoon for the CDN Forces campaign. Its a wonderful kit.

Rob - Everytime you post, your F-4 looks better and better. Well done!
Nito74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
AeroScale: 635 posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2014 - 12:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, John. The F106 Delta Dart is a sleek, fast looking aircraft. Even in the unfinished state yours is in now, she just looks really cool . Hope to see more soon.

Mal - I've just recently built an Airfix Typhoon for the CDN Forces campaign. Its a wonderful kit.

Rob - Everytime you post, your F-4 looks better and better. Well done!

Thanks Ben !
I agree it looks great... I will try to add a Mang's F-102 in the near future
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2014 - 01:24 AM UTC
Thanks Ben!

The dark tan is on.

Cheers Rob.
ljames0874
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 408 posts
AeroScale: 365 posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2014 - 03:50 AM UTC
I am also at the camouflage stage, here is the Javelin with the underside done, the topside grey coat done, and the masking for the camo pattern done.

... and with the green camo added!

md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2014 - 04:01 AM UTC
Hey, thanks for sharing the in process on the masking. I need to do something like that on a project tonight. Now I have an additional clue.
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2014 - 04:07 AM UTC
Lee, I believe your next photo of a camoflaged Javelin are going to look great.

Just a small note. I don't know if this is your first time removing that tack type gum. If you have a tiny ball of it on your finger tip and roll it over the camo snakes, it picks up the mess completely, leaving no trace that can't be washed off.
Thats just what I've learned through using blue tack for the same purpose.

Ben
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2014 - 07:29 AM UTC
Thought I''d better take a few photo's and post concerning the HobbyCraft CF-100.

The IP console comes featureless; there's not even a decal to use. So I thought I'd make a 0.10 mask and paint some white dials on the darkened IP. I did try it, and found it unacceptable. Here's what I did:

Not liking it, I've decided I'm going to scratch an entirely new IP. It might not be easily seen, as the canopy is provided in the closed position. I'll know its in there, though.

I'm also working the seats over. They come with molded in harness and an ugly injection release mark right in the harness centre. So I scratched off the harness with intention to make my own, probably out of tape. Here's the early stages of seat repair:

I've applied a neutral Tamiya grey over the Humbrol silver enamel on these parts to assist with weathering. The Canuck did have greyer undercarriage, according to photos I've seen.

SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 11:10 AM UTC
Great work on everybody's projects! Ben, I especially like your instrument panel work on the CF-100. I worked some more on my Lanc interior today. Also found out the MK. X airframe I am depicting was built to MK I/III standards so the major mods will not have to be done which will simplify things greatly.

Best wishes,

Ian

Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 11:47 AM UTC
Beautiful workmanship in that Lanc cockpit, Ian Well Done!
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 11:54 AM UTC
Thank you sir!

Quoted Text

Beautiful workmanship in that Lanc cockpit, Ian Well Done!