Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Schwalbe - Me 262 Campaign
Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
AeroScale: 614 posts
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 - 06:24 PM UTC
So,the final assemblies on my 262 are finished and here are some fotos of my little swallow.

This was a tiny little kit. It had some traps, but nothing really bad. The decals from printscale did well, too. Mostly interesting concerning the unit KG(j)54 is the fact, that they flew Junkers 88 units before. I heard, that the RLM thought pilots of twin engined planes would easier learn to handle a Me 262. But, from a Ju 88 to Me 262? Hard to imagine. Probably someone knows more about this.

Finally, the bird landed in its nest!

Hope, You like it. I am excited to see more built kits of this plane in this thread.

Oliver
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 - 06:47 PM UTC
Oliver! I like your 262 a lot and I think the Revell kit looks really fine! The paint scheme makes it really stand out.

Could we get some details about the setting of the model in your last photo? Have you built the hangar yourself or is it from some kind of kit? The 109 in the background looks fine as well, a G-10?

Finally, regarding twin-engine conversion of pilots, both sides in the conflict had their own ideas about it : right at the end of WWII, NZ pilot Warren "Smokey" Schrader converted to the Gloster Meteor, taking over 616 sqn with the express wishes from the RAF to bag a 262 before war's end. He came from Tempests and made good for his lack of twin engine experience through an early morning flight with an instructor in an Airspeed Oxford. Then on to the Meteor...

Magnus
Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 - 07:20 PM UTC
Magnus: Thank You for Your comment.

The hangar was a kit of a supplier in switzerland called "Suter Meggen". It is a wood based laser cut kit. But the windows and doors are made of paper and, hence, were hard to paint. For the doors, I had to scratch new parts, as the paper curved due to the painting process.
The smaller parts, like tables, chairs, lamps and tools were taken from railroad suppliers (1/87) or scratch built.
Concerning the Me 109 You are right. Sharp look! It is Revell´s G-10.

From an Oxford Airspeed to a Meteor. Not nice, too!

Oliver
goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 709 posts
AeroScale: 651 posts
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 - 07:47 PM UTC
Oliver: You really did the job!!! Congrats!
This 262 comes out very nice. Also like the colors & weathering.
I wonder why you didn't had any bad issues on your Revell-kit since mine has fit minors and a lot of gaps and seams to fill and sand and re-riveting etc... Maybe ist's a different mould - still working on it, pics will follow when I can show the next interesting stage

Magnus: Slow but steady progress, like it so far.And right, the intakes shold be (worn) bare metall/aluminum, while the exhaust nozzles are mostly painted dark grey/RLM 66.

Thomas
JoeOsborne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 111 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 - 09:21 PM UTC
Oliver Great job on the 262! really like the paint and the weathering. Just enough. As others have mentioned I thought you would run into more fit problems with Revell's kit, but apparently not.

Good Work!

Joe Osborne

goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 - 09:56 PM UTC
Well - it's just the office... quite nothing to see after the nasty canopy is closed. So I not waste time for any more detailing, AM-Parts or belts.

Thomas
Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 - 10:18 PM UTC
Thomas and Joe: Actually, in my opinion the worst fitting part of this kit is the lower nose compartment. This was the only place for using bigger amounts of filler (lost some rivet lines here, too). As Thomas said, there are some sink-holes at the engines, but these can easily be filled.

Thomas: Good painting of the original revell parts! I am curious about the following steps.

Oliver
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2015 - 05:01 AM UTC
Here is my small entry:-

goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 01:47 AM UTC
This kit needs more attention than I wanted. More filling/sanding the nacelles and a bit of color. Struts, wheels and inner flaps are done, maybe add a brake pipe for the front wheel. The sinkmarks on the wheel will be covered by the flap. No weighting procedures for the wheels. But next will be weight for the nose and glueing the front part with the well (...with some more filling/sanding...) and bringing wings and fuselage together (yes, more putty needed..)

Thomas
JoeOsborne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2015 - 07:17 AM UTC
Howdy folks,

An update on my 32nd scale build... working in modules. Have the pit together sans seatbelts they'll go in later. Here's the IP. It's Eduards with a touch up of Vallejo air RLM 66. Did not like the weird look of Eduards RLM 66....a little purplish. Used Tamiya clear for the instrument glass.

first attempt at wiring the back of the ip. Not too bad... pretty fiddly...washed it with Mig's winter white wash heavily thinned..

Assembled the wings. Painted the interior of flaps and slats RLM 02 then used rubber cement to close them up. This way I can paint the camo easily and then remove the flaps and slats and position them in the down/open position.

Here's the gun bay... again first attempt at wiring...will add a wash before I assemble. Have to finish off the gun barrels...I used the forward fuel tank to hold lead weights to keep it from being a tail sitter... will add a few more in the forward compartment.

That's it for now... can start assembling the fuselage...

Joe

woltersk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
AeroScale: 215 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2015 - 08:58 AM UTC
As we've come to expect, there is some great work going on in this campaign, in scales large and small. Very inspirational!

Like I've said before, this Hobby Boss kit fits together like a snap together. The tolerances are so tight that while dry fitting the wing halves and engine nacelles I can pick up the whole assembly by a wing tip!

I've managed to airbrush some form of RLM 02 on the interior portions and landing gear.

Keith
Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2015 - 06:24 PM UTC
Thomas: Nice Update, but Revell should grant You really a free bag of putty for this kit. I am just lucky, that I bought mine some years ago. Keep on!

Joe: Fiddly wiring, indeed. Hopefully it will be visible in Your scale. In 1/72 mine is gone, but I know its out there. Can You tell me, what rubber cement is?

Keith: Really, a fine detailed kit of Hobby Boss. Probably a good reason to change my favored scale from 1/72 to 1/48!

Oliver
JoeOsborne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2015 - 07:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joe: Fiddly wiring, indeed. Hopefully it will be visible in Your scale. In 1/72 mine is gone, but I know its out there. Can You tell me, what rubber cement is?

Oliver

Oliver,

Rubber cement is a glue made here in the states by Elmers.. and it sticks without melting any of the plastic so it's good for holding parts in place temporarily. It looks like this:

http://www.staples-3p.com/s7/is/image/Staples/s0267993_sc7?$splssku$

Joe

MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
AeroScale: 419 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 - 07:44 PM UTC
A little work on the ancient Hasegawa nightfighter I'm building as a warm up for the U4.

Fit it typical Hasegawa, perfect except where it isn't..
Engine nacells needed putty and sanding, but the fit to the wings is great.
A little paint in the inner edges of the fuselage sides helps highlight where I need to do a little work.

goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 - 08:20 PM UTC
Mike, is there any reason for the different and asymmetric shape and feed of the exhaust nozzles

Joe; "big" progress on your Gulliver-kit, nice!

Keith: don`t miss to correct the interior to RLM 66, struts/front wheel wells/gear flaps inside should be RLM 02, others mainly plain metall since the paint run out at the end of war.

Thomas
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
AeroScale: 419 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 - 09:32 PM UTC
well, I COULD claim it was to represent the moving exhaust cone feature I was just reading about in the Squadron walkaround, but more likely it is an artifact of stealing 2-3 min of building at a time, not checking the directions (and the opposite side assembly) and general rushing about/short cutting in the short periods of building I do get.

I think I can crack open the aft end, shift the cone and reglue.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 - 10:21 PM UTC
With the really talented builds that I have witnessed here mine may not be on the same level. Here is what I have been able to accomplish so far, the fuselage has given me some problems but that may be just me.

Bob

goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 - 10:25 PM UTC
Mike, understand
Moving cones is correct, but I think they will move equally on each side depending on the thrust/boost the pilot will give.

Bob: This is movin well foreward, very nice cockpit indeed!

Thomas
JoeOsborne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 - 10:46 PM UTC
Bob: really coming along nicely. Are you using Tamiya XF22 RLM Grey for the wheel wells?
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 - 11:27 PM UTC
@ Thomas: thanks for the kind words.

@ Joe: I used what was in reach XF-65 for the wheel wells and XF-63 for the office.
woltersk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
AeroScale: 215 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 08:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Keith: don`t miss to correct the interior to RLM 66, struts/front wheel wells/gear flaps inside should be RLM 02, others mainly plain metall since the paint run out at the end of war.

Dangnabit!! That's what I get for following the kit directions!

Thomas, thanks for pointing out the potential error in my ways! You have a sharp eye! I owe you a few

Alrighty now. This is where the kit stands, and, everyone and anyone willing, please chime in on what needs to be done to fix it.

1) Cockpit tub interior and seat are dark gray (RLM66-ish).
2) Cockpit tub exterior, gear struts, gear wells, and gun bay are RLM 02 gray-ish.
3) Fuselage interior is RLM 02 gray-ish.

My reference material is sparce, and what I found on the Internet is limited. I did notice some really nice builds where the fuselage interior was bare metal, and some pics of examples in museums where the exterior of the cockpit tub was dark gray, but the wing portions of the wheel wells were RLM02, making the gear wells two-tone. All very confusing.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Keith
goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 10:14 AM UTC
Keith: late war colourings of Luftwaffe aircrafts are always confusing. It sounds reasonable that after the paints run out they take everything what is available. Even bare metal parts or very thin layers of different shade are common. And it was allowed to mix old and new colors 1:1. There is no official chart for example for RLM 81/82/83.
Different shades result also from different manufacturers and different pigment quality and the parts of the planes came from different factorys.
To optimize the production they were assembled and fast delivered after a very quick paint job or just in a primer state with some anticorrosive on the panels.
I think planes in museums are quite overdone to give a better show effect.
Have a look here, sounds helpful
http://www.swannysmodels.com/Painting.html
Thomas
PeeJay74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 425 posts
AeroScale: 401 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 06:05 PM UTC
I enlisted in this fully intending to build my 262A-1b but fear I have overextended my hobby time yet again. I have not even cut open the bags yet and don't foresee getting time to do so.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 06:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I enlisted in this fully intending to build my 262A-1b but fear I have overextended my hobby time yet again. I have not even cut open the bags yet and don't foresee getting time to do so.

I hear you pain, Paul I also over exstend everytime I see a build that just tugs at my interest.

Bob
goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 09:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thomas and Joe: Actually, in my opinion the worst fitting part of this kit is the lower nose compartment. This was the only place for using bigger amounts of filler (lost some rivet lines here, too).
Oliver

Absolutely agree! In all mentioned states
Latest work, filling up a big step and sanding down the sides where they attach the frame (near the chutes).

Paul: Sorry to hear that! Would really like to see your efforts on a 262.

Thomas