Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Schwalbe - Me 262 Campaign
goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 709 posts
AeroScale: 651 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 01:36 AM UTC
Mike: Sorry for that mess,hope you can fix it

Bob: That's really a lot of filling stuff! Seems that nearly all kits suffer from bad fitting on the nose section. Didn't realise this before this campaign shows the heighs and lows.

I think that I've done the putty-work, wing and fuselage are glued and after a first short priming coat (Humbrol Aluminum enamel) I can live with the result. Next should be fixing the canopy, the rear wings and apply more paint after polishing the primer

Thomas
Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
AeroScale: 614 posts
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2015 - 11:09 PM UTC
Thomas: Seems to be percfect from here ! Do You paint the metallic base for better detection of flaws and sink holes or do You need it for chipping?
Removed by original poster on 06/11/15 - 01:47:31 (GMT).
bomber14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 06:58 AM UTC
I got the slats done for both wings. I think I will give joe Osborne's suggestion and use rubber cement to temporarily tack them in place for painting.

btw, I glued the wings on today and there are all sorts of gaps at the wing root and underneath. I want to use MR Disolved putty. what can I use to wipe off excess residue? alcohol, enamel thinner, mineral spirits?

thanks, joe
JoeOsborne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 111 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 08:28 AM UTC
Joe,

Funny, I just happened to buy Mr Dissolved Putty today for the first time!

Just took a whiff, and I think you'll need some Mr. Color Thinner or some acetone based nail polish remover (available at all of our fine drug stores in the states!). Don't think what you suggested will cut it. I would try some out on some scrap plastic before using. That's what I'm going to do.

goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 11:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thomas: Seems to be percfect from here ! Do You paint the metallic base for better detection of flaws and sink holes or do You need it for chipping?

Thanks Oliver! You know the spots of this kit
The base: first to detect irregularities but its also good for anything follows and I've never done chipping before - so why not give it a try?

Now comes the tricky part: the canopy - bad fitting and huge gaps. I'm still not sure how to glue it properly and how to mask it without destroying the fragile sticky Aluminum-frame I made. Maybe i use some liquid mask here.
Another thing: I don't want to go with the Revell-suggested markings as I not like the "19" pattern and on the other hand there was no "blue 3" (it was a "green" 3!) and no blue nose.
But I think I'll stay with JG 7-Nowotny anyway...
Thomas
bomber14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2015 - 05:48 PM UTC
thanks joe I think the Mrs's might have some. I am going to try several things though. right now I have a more important problem.
the gun bay covers on this hobby boss kit fit so poorly that I intended to glue them to the center support (part n-2) to make one piece like Tamiya's kit has. somehow I lost the part (n-2) any suggestion from anyone building the same kit how to make a new one or maybe have one they are not using. the part is so darn small I hate to see anyone pay to mail it so I would cover the expense, at least in the USA.

thanks joe b
Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 04:34 PM UTC
[qote] Another thing: I don't want to go with the Revell-suggested markings as I not like the "19" pattern and on the other hand there was no "blue 3" (it was a "green" 3!) and no blue nose.
But I think I'll stay with JG 7-Nowotny anyway...
Thomas [/quote]

Hi Thomas, I have some decals for the green 3 of the manufacturer print scale, that I do not need. If You want, I can send them to You.

Oliver
goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 12:11 AM UTC
Hi Oliver, thank you very much for that offer and I will reconsider the way I was planning to do. I'm still not sure which unit to do but if I don't go for "green 3" after sending me the decals you might be disappointed
Thomas
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 01:28 AM UTC
Getting some work done:-

Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 07:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Oliver, thank you very much for that offer and I will reconsider the way I was planning to do. I'm still not sure which unit to do but if I don't go for "green 3" after sending me the decals you might be disappointed
Thomas

Hi Thomas, just feel comfortable, if You need the decals I can send them to You.

Oliver
bomber14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 12:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joe,

Funny, I just happened to buy Mr Dissolved Putty today for the first time!

Just took a whiff, and I think you'll need some Mr. Color Thinner or some acetone based nail polish remover (available at all of our fine drug stores in the states!). Don't think what you suggested will cut it. I would try some out on some scrap plastic before using. That's what I'm going to do.

hi joe- i tested mineral spirits and alchol/denatured. did not work well so i went and bought a small bottle of nail polish remover. it worked, just don't let the putty dry. wipe the excess off gently right after applying. may take several layers in certain spots. i should be ready to start painting soon. i have ak interactive chipping medium i want to use on the body. i know it works with acrylic paint because i used it on the cockpit seat but i don't know if it will work with enamel paint i plan on using on the body.

joe b.

MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
AeroScale: 419 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 02:14 AM UTC
Been away with the family for a bit but, but got to stop at USAF Museum in Ohio today. We did not get here until almost closing and all I had for a camera was the phone. But I took a bunch of crummy cell phone pics of their 262 AND the U4 cannon assembly( on display seperately) still with wiring.
Shoot me a message and I can email them to you when I get home this weekend.
Posting from the phone now and it's sort of a hassle, can't easily attach images to this post.
Mike
bomber14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 06:41 AM UTC
mike I am wondering what the crosses on the underside of the wings look like. are they black with white outline or the simplified late war black right angle bars? I have not seen any decal sheets without the black and white crosses for the 262 but read an article last week referring to late war black only for the underside
I am getting ready to paint the camo this week, decals soon to follow. I hope I can get some photo updates soon.

not too much activity here lately. I hope this campaign is still breathing.
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 - 05:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

mike I am wondering what the crosses on the underside of the wings look like. are they black with white outline or the simplified late war black right angle bars? I have not seen any decal sheets without the black and white crosses for the 262 but read an article last week referring to late war black only for the underside
I am getting ready to paint the camo this week, decals soon to follow. I hope I can get some photo updates soon.

not too much activity here lately. I hope this campaign is still breathing.

Joe,
Sorry for the one crummy picture.
The AF museum is REALLY dark, the 262 is against a far (dark ) wall and under another plane hanging overhead. I was a bit surprised at how low to the ground it sits as well.
Here is the one picture I have that shows the full black and white cross under the rt side wing. The other wing was angled back away from the railing and even farther into the shadows.
It does not help that I am 6'4"...

Hope this helps.
Mike
bomber14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 - 08:08 AM UTC
thanks mike, it does. I will go with the black/white crosses. i'm doing mine in rlm 81/82/76. started painting this weekend, just have the rlm 81 to do and some touchup of overspray here and there.
that looks like a neat place, hope I can go some time. that 262 looks to be a two seater. what rlm colors was it? looks to be 74/75/76.

joe.
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 07:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

thanks mike, it does. I will go with the black/white crosses. i'm doing mine in rlm 81/82/76. started painting this weekend, just have the rlm 81 to do and some touchup of overspray here and there.
that looks like a neat place, hope I can go some time. that 262 looks to be a two seater. what rlm colors was it? looks to be 74/75/76.

joe.

Joe,
Nope, it's a one seater,

As for color, I'm really bad with late war colors (and being a little bit color blind (almost typed 'blonde'))

The lighting in there does not help, it's not the yellow sodium lights or the washed out blue LED stuff, but the lights are not incandescents or fluorescents. I think they are those weird slow-to-come-on buzzing gymnasium lights??

The underside is all pale blue 74? and the upper side looks overall dark grey. No green in sight.
I was not able to hold the camera high enough to get a decent picture of the tops of the wings from behind the railing and as far back as it sits.

Not an ideal way to disply historic a/c for us plane nerds, I know.
Compare these two pics form AF Museum official images. One taken outside and one inside
http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=509
http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g60785-d603950-i90993307-National_Museum_of_the_U_S_Air_Force-Dayton_Ohio.html
If that's the same bird, the differences in the appearance of the paint are pretty striking.

NASM is a little better.
http://airandspace.si.edu/explore-and-learn/multimedia/detail.cfm?id=1083
FWIW, the NASM bird seems to have the same underwing crosses.

Mike
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2015 - 09:45 PM UTC
Mike, nice photos. Thanks for sharing with us.

Lots of putty and sanding finally did the job on the nose of my 262:

And another happy moment using photo bucket:
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 08:18 PM UTC
Photobucket.. the bane of my existence.
Do you get the 'oh noes! your media player is at risk, quick, download this fix. Now Dummy!" pop ups from them too?

That said, da-da-de-dah... mottling!

I actually used RLM 02 and not the recommended 75, but I like the lightened effect. Dont tell the 'not the right color' goons. hehe
I figure once this cures and I get some gloss on, the filter, stumped wash will darken things up a bit.

It's been a slog with this kit, the one that was supposed to be the 'quick build' before I got serious about the -U4.
I can see I am REALLY going to need to be better about the nacel seams on the next one, but for now it's coming along.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 08:34 PM UTC
[quote]Photobucket.. the bane of my existence.
Do you get the 'oh noes! your media player is at risk, quick, download this fix. Now Dummy!" pop ups from them too?
[quote]

And the speed is slower than my grandmother
bomber14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 07:13 PM UTC
mike that is a great job!!! I like the camo. could you show how you did it? the subtle effect between the mottle and base color is perfect. please show your process of the weathering and filters too if you could I am always looking to improve my limited technic.

what scale is your build and kit? I want to build a two seater next.

joe

btw I agree w/u- photobucket is a pain. too many adds slow it to a crawl and I hate the video adds they run while your trying to upload photos.

MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 07:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

mike that is a great job!!! I like the camo. could you show how you did it? the subtle effect between the mottle and base color is perfect. please show your process of the weathering and filters too if you could I am always looking to improve my limited technic.

what scale is your build and kit? I want to build a two seater next.

joe

btw I agree w/u- photobucket is a pain. too many adds slow it to a crawl and I hate the video adds they run while your trying to upload photos.

Joe,
I've got an old Tamiya SG superfine double action airbrush, sort of on on its last legs, but it is hanging in there.
The base coat is Vallejo Air RML 74 (blue grey, I think its called) the mottling is tamiya xf 22 (RML 02 clone) thinned waayyyy down. almost 50/50 paint to rubbing alc. I did not use the darker grey called out in the instructions.

The pressure is very low, 20psi and the needle is tightened way down for very little paint flow.
As for the mottles, it's really just scribbled on there, short zig zag lines running up and down and then back overtop going left right.
I kept the airbrush moving pretty quickly and just light taps on the trigger to get paint. I am pretty pleased with the light, almost transparent, blotches of cammo.

I had tried to get mottles at the edges of other German late war a/c cammo, but in retrospect I was just using the paint I had been filling in cammo with and really needed to thin the paint much much more for the mottles

It's really a different way to paint than I am used to for 1/35th armor, when I am looking for base coat coverage or to fill in cammo patterns.

Hope this helps
Mike
bomber14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 08:03 PM UTC
well ok my quick build has slowed to a crawl too, as usual.
here's where i'm at. got it painted in rlm 76,81,82. kit instructions call for 82/75 for the top colors but the color diagram shows more of a brownviolet and it listed the 82 as light green when modelmaster has it marked as dunklegreen. talking with floyed werner I found that rlm 75 was not used much late war/last year of war. so I went with81/82. I used model master paints for the rlm 76/82 and gunze hobby color for the rlm 81.
started decal with the stenciling. not sure how I am going to weather it. I pre shaded panel lines with a mechanical blk pen but it did not work so well.

next after the decaling is to attach my scratch built wing slatsand what ever washes or weathering method and a flat coat. this was only the second time using my iwata neo on german camo and I am happy with te results although I could have done better on some spots. the neo is a good brush but I need more control of paint to get a finer/thinner paint laydown. I would like to get a brush with a trigger setting for paint next.

joe.
bomber14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 08:13 PM UTC
two of my photos didn't post, not surprising w/photobucket, here they are-
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii93/joe_b_album/GEDC2282.jpg

Removed by original poster on 07/10/15 - 15:17:10 (GMT).