Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: PTO Campaign
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 11:04 PM UTC
Thanks Fellas!

Not paint per se, but everything that can be built has been. I have yet to install the canopy (masked). Any seams I have found have either been my own fault, or due to the fit of the cockpit. The engineering of this kit is beyond superb! I don't know how they manage to do it, but each kit is far better than their last. Having built the 32nd scale Zero, Mustang and now this, I can see considerable progress from kit to kit in the way parts come together and even the fit.

I've had to put a little Mr. Surfacer on the seams I found after sanding down this coat of the 1500. The the fun begins!
RadekZ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 125 posts
AeroScale: 85 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 02:25 AM UTC
Hello everyone,
The campaign is already on full steam with lots of cool looking builds and some also already finished.
So it's time to jump in or I'll miss the end

I chose the Tamiya kit No. 94, which is 1/48 scale Brewster B-339 Buffalo (Pacific Theater).
My chosen scheme will be one from ML-KNIL 2-VLG-V, Batavia, Java Island, February 1942. Side no. B-3110.
According to the scarce information I could get about it, this particular plane took was flown by aces of Dutch East Indies Air Forces - Capt. Jacob Pieter van Helsdingen & 1st Lieutenant August Gerard Deibel.
Van Helsdingen flew this aircraft during Battle of Malaya in defence of Singapore while Deibel was piloting it later during Battle of Java. On 12th of Jan 1942 Deibel's flight intercepted formation of 9 Ki-27 Nates. Deibel claimed two kills, but he got wounded during attack and was forced to bail out of plane. That was (supposedly) end of the B-2110 of ML-KNIL, 2-VLG-V ...

As a starter - pics of the kit in "unspoiled" condition

As addons I will use Eduard's interior set FE292 for 339 Buffalos and Montex's Maxi Mask MM48128 dedicated to this Tamiya Kit.

Cheers,
Radek
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 02:38 AM UTC
WOW, another thread that's fallen off of the "My Posts" list. Seems I ought to get cracking. The F4F is on the active table, just waiting for the last Hangar Queen to depart. Airfix offers two markings out of the box, I think I'm going with the USS Enterprise VF-6(?) from early 1942. Two tone paint with red rudder stripes and meatball stars. Since the kit will do folded or open wings, I'm thinking of taking the halfway option and doing one wing folded.
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 03:31 AM UTC
Hi Mark so kinda saluting then huh?
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 03:47 AM UTC
Hadn't thought about it like that, but yeah.

I went through the stash and it turns out I have more folding wing F4Fs than fixed wing ones. Oops, oh no, I have 3 of each.
Three(?) with folding wings, Airfix, Dragon and an Entex (Aoshima) that might have folding wings, but my memory is that they fold over the cockpit instead of parallel to the fuselage. And 3 fixed wings Academy, Hasegawa and Hobby Boss.

Dang almost a whole squadron of the little buggers.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 09:56 PM UTC
Matt, Nice job on your F4U. Ive put the F4F away and will try to build an HobbyCraft F4U-1 Birdcage.

Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 10:20 PM UTC
Bob you are a brave man.

I always wanted that kit when I was young and dumb but someone bought me the Tamiya -1 before I had the chance. I'm curious to see how well it goes together for you.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 10:49 PM UTC
Well, Matt. The landing gear in the HobbyBoss F4F scared me so I pulled this F4u kit out and found the cowl is going to be a problem, but hey its better than spindly LG.

Bob
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 11:58 PM UTC
Bob, ALL F4Fs have spindly landing gear. Even in 1/72, both Dragon and Airfix have something like 8 parts for the mechanism. I cant get to the rest of the items in my stash but I bet none of them are the 1 or 2 pieces for an F4U LG.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 05:43 AM UTC
Ok! Matt, the HC F4U is a stinker I worked on it for about 3 hours before I saw that the wings dihedral is messed up and the cowl does not mate with the fuselage either. So I will either pick up the HB F4F or an ARII F4U. Boy I am away from building for a couple of months and every kit I pick out seems to not want to cooperate.

Bob
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2017 - 01:36 AM UTC
I am at this point in my build and need to know the color of the landing gear.

WHITE
ZINC CHROMATE
ALUMINUM
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2017 - 01:46 AM UTC
Not sure on the LG bob, my last couple of WWII USN builds have been calling out for white / light gull gray for the gear, basically the same as the fuselage bottom color...

Love to see how this one comes out, it's one of my few remaining 1/48 kits.
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2017 - 02:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

WHITE
ZINC CHROMATE
ALUMINUM

I think they were painted in aluminum lacquer from the factory, but what happened during overhauls in the field is anyone's guess.

Michael
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2017 - 02:30 AM UTC
Bob take a look at this link I think you may find it useful. They have some particularly useful info on a wide range of subjects.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2017 - 02:48 AM UTC
Thanks! Mark, Michael, for the help and Chris Ill take a look at the link that you've provided.

Again, thanks.

Bob
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2017 - 04:14 AM UTC
I'm calling this one done. The Hasegawa 1/32 Ki84 type 4 Hayate, 47th Flight Regiment, 3rd Squadron, Narimasu Airfield, Japan, February, 1945.

The only thing left is the port side wingtip formation lights. Somehow my clear red paint dried up into a solid mass. Oh well, I can fix that when I get some more.

Now, do I really have the chutzpa to do the F4U as well (especially since Matt is doing such a fine job on his), or do I move on to something completely different? Decisions, decisions...

Michael
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2017 - 04:37 AM UTC
So I just posted some pics of my Frank to the campaign gallery and see I'm the first one there. I thought we had at least of couple of other finished models by now. Anyone having a problem? Don't forget, you've gotta post there to get the ribbon.

Michael
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2017 - 06:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

WHITE
ZINC CHROMATE

The same colour and the under surface. So either gray, white or gloss sea blue as appropriate for all Corsairs.
Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
AeroScale: 614 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 05:16 AM UTC
Matt: Your Corsair comes along very nice! Have You started the paint job already?

Pasi: Thank You for the information. These belts are really fine! I will have to look out for some of them next time/built!

John: Nice start! And thank You for the information about the light weight seat, too! It looks really odd with these irregular punched holes.

Michael: Congrats too Your finished Frank! This is a really well built kit. And the paint job looks flawless ! And, You are right. I forgot to put some photos in the gallery. I will have some spare time these days and will fix it!

Merry Christmas and Frohe Weihnachten!
Oliver
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 08:36 AM UTC
Micheal (Mike?) That Frank looks great! Such a fun kit to build.

Quoted Text

Matt: Your Corsair comes along very nice! Have You started the paint job already?

Not quite, the seam on the bottom of the fuselage is being stubborn. There's just the faintest trace of it so I keep hitting it with Mr. Surfacer and sanding it down. My OCD is out of control I think.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 09:05 AM UTC
Matt, I cured my OCD by taking my glasses off and everything looks great. Cant wait to see your finished F4U.

Bob
Pave-Hawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 900 posts
AeroScale: 200 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 11:14 AM UTC
My N1K1-Ja is moving along rapidly. I forgot how quick Tamiya aircraft can go together after some of the kits I have built lately.

Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2018 - 06:52 AM UTC
Yet another terribly uninspired photo and post, but after A LOT of (Brassin created) fit issues, I needed a ton of putty, sanding, and then scribing.

Now, we are FINALLY ready for paint. Panel lines restored as good as I can get them and all ghosted seams eliminated.

The outer wings are still separate because the lower outer wing is intermediate blue and the center section is white. So instead of trying to mask the parts, I'll simply keep them apart and glue them after the bottom of the wings are painted but before the tops.

greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
AeroScale: 492 posts
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2018 - 04:36 PM UTC
Great job on the build Michael, and thank you for reminding me to post some photos to the group build album.

Ernest
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
AeroScale: 492 posts
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2018 - 04:37 PM UTC
Matt, your Corsair is looking outstanding! I am planning to build the same one, probably around the late Spring this year; I have a couple of builds in front of it to do.

Ernest