Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Schwalbe II
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2020 - 03:52 PM UTC
Carlos, as you said, every build is a learning experience. Hopefully we improve a bit each time! Looking forward to the top coat colours going on now.

Raj, always listen to the Minister for War and Finance! Your scheme is looking great so far.

I laid down some AK Xtreme Metal Steel on the interior walls (that will be visible) and the main gear wells. The kit has a few detail items inside the rear fuselage and calls for a full interior paint job, but I don't see the point as it will be closed up in a couple of days. Perhaps some time in the future I will do another build of this kit with some access panels removed, the details look very nice.

I decided to do a test dry assembly before I got too much further with the cockpit construction and detailing, to make sure no "adjustments" are required, and very happy to say that everything just snapped into place very neatly.

Cheers, D
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2020 - 04:53 PM UTC
Looking good, D!
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2020 - 02:32 AM UTC
Thanks Gazza, your feedback is much appreciated mate!

With every build I aim to introduce a new technique or product into my arsenal, and with this build it is Eduard's pre-coloured self-adhesive PE set. It feels a bit like cheating, but my eyes and hands aren't up to the task of doing justice to the fine detail on the instrument panel of this kit.

IP detail removal in progress.

All gone.

Black primer.

8 PE parts added

Up close in the photo it looks a bit rough, but from a foot away and inside the closed cockpit, it looks a million dollars! I will definitely be looking at this product for future builds.

Cheers, D
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2020 - 03:11 PM UTC
D,
The new IP looks nice! My painting skills were never up to a nice IP. So, I'm glad for PE or decals to do what my hands never could.

I think the brand name Yahu comes to mind. I usually go with whatever I can find at BNA.

Gaz
Torpon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Spain / España
KitMaker: 103 posts
AeroScale: 102 posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2020 - 02:10 AM UTC

Raj, amazing paint job and very effective motivation from your girlfriend. Sorry about your personal situation, I really hope things improve soon for so many people in similar circumstances.

Damian, that is a really steady and effective progress. Looking great.

I have been painting this weekend. I am not totally pleased with it. I don't know why, as this is not my first mottling and I have had better results in the past, but I found really hard the freehand painting of the light blue on top of the darker colours.

Anyway, I will try to tidy up a bit this evening but this is how it is looking now:

Also, I did notice that Vallejo RML81 looks totally different to the brown in the Airfix instructions and I googleled for it. I was amazed with the discussions around the shade of the RML 81 but I couldn't find any definitive answer and I went with vallejo chocolate brown shade.

Carlos.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2020 - 02:53 AM UTC
D, Nice instrument panel.

Carlos, great paint job.

Bob
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2020 - 10:46 AM UTC
Carlos,
Your upper color looks great! That late war color seems to be anywhere from olive drab to chocolate brown. There are a few color photos of late war 109's where it looks like a light reddish brown. So, I don't think there is any wrong answer as no color chip was ever issued.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2020 - 07:11 PM UTC
A little more progress on the office spaces. I gave the pilot and bomb aimer some comfy Red Leather (courtesy of Vallejo Model Colour), and the pilot got a bit of safety gear to keep the OH&S inspectors happy. The bomb aimer can just bounce around in his little space apparently

A bit of a wash to dull things down and I'm almost ready to close this one up!

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 02:57 AM UTC
A very productive and enjoyable session at the bench tonight, and at the end we have reached the unmistakable Schwalbe airframe!

I will leave the tape in place overnight to get the dihedral nice and tight, then move on to fitting the clear parts and masking them up.

Cheers, D
iflytb20
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kerala, India / भारत
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 194 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 08:09 AM UTC
That's a sweet looking Schwalbe you got there Damian. Can't wait to see if finished.

Speaking of finished, I managed to finish mine within the deadline set up by the Home Minister. As always, It's been a pleasure Gary. I love the way you run your campaigns and am looking forward to participate in your next one.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 09:53 AM UTC
Damian,
Mighty fine work!

GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 10:03 AM UTC
Raj,
Congratulations on a fantastic finish on your Schwalbe! A very lovely, clean finish!

As always, it's a pleasure to campaign with you. I'll have to ruminate on the next campaign... I haven't even begun to think about one, yet.

Gaz
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 12:18 PM UTC
Raj, Gaz, many thanks for the feedback, always very much appreciated.

Raj, lovely build! You really nailed the soft mottled pattern. Congrats on getting finished.

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2020 - 09:51 PM UTC
Removed the "tension tape" tonight, we have an airframe!

I've loaded a stack of close images of the various joins in the
Build Log Thread if anybody wants a detailed report.

Work will start on the clear parts next.

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2020 - 11:58 PM UTC
A bit of light sanding and scraping to clean up my glue joints, then on to fitting the clear parts. They all settled perfectly into place with a minimum of fuss (the open main hood is blue-tacked in place for the photo), and will be left to set up overnight before I start the masking process ready for primer.

Once again, more detail in the dedicated build log thread.

Cheers, D
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2020 - 02:36 PM UTC
D,
Looking good! I really like the way they engineered the windshield. I wish more kits were that way. With more plastic around the clear parts.

Glad to see you plowing ahead!

Gaz
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2020 - 10:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

D,
Looking good! I really like the way they engineered the windshield. I wish more kits were that way. With more plastic around the clear parts.

Glad to see you plowing ahead!

Gaz

Thanks Gaz, it's been a really nice kit to build so far. I totally agree, having some of the fuselage deck attached to the clear parts makes for easier and more accurate and positive fitment!

An hour or so masking then shot with primer, MS1500 Black.

It doesn't matter what I'm building, I really love it when it hits this point, and this looks so sinister in black!

Cheers, D
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2020 - 08:03 AM UTC
It does look good in black!
Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
AeroScale: 614 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2020 - 10:17 AM UTC
Raj,
outstanding build. The mottled camo is spot on. Congrats!

Damian,
yes, it is a magic point just before the first paint touches down. The Schwalbe looks very good!

Oliver
Torpon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Spain / España
KitMaker: 103 posts
AeroScale: 102 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2020 - 07:45 PM UTC
Raj, amazing looking Schwalbe, congratulations!

Damian, really neat build, it looks perfect. I also love that stage, just after priming.

I am done with mine. I didn't like the Airfix model, really basic at places and some parts simply don't fit. On the positive, I improved my re-scribing, I overdid it but I felt much more precise towards the end. Next time.

Anyway, my Airfix 1/72 Me262A-1A:

Gary, thanks for a fantastic campaign.

See you all around,

Carlos.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2020 - 01:54 AM UTC
Very nice build Carlos, great job! I'm all about making improvements with every build, trying new products or techniques, or fine-tuning methods, so making some progress on your rescribing is a win!

Cheers, D
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2020 - 03:44 AM UTC
D. it does look good in black.

Carlos, beautiful job. I like it.

Bob
bomber14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2020 - 02:14 PM UTC
all the builds look great. if you hadn't noticed i have not made any updates in a while. well unfortunately i had a serious accident back on the 21st of june. i broke my back in a fall and am in rehab center called kessler here in NJ. i am in a wheel chair and when i do go home i will have a lot more to focus on than models, although i couldn't work on them if i wanted to because my bench is down stairs out of reach. so i will probably have to drop out of this and my entry in the automodeler campaign i joined too. maybe you could postpone for me.just in case i am not going to officially withdraw, i intend to finish at some point but i do not know when that will be. my injury is not something that will be fixed in a couple of months. i was really enjoying these builds too, but i will try to follow along on everyone's progress at least
happy modeling guys- joe
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2020 - 02:27 PM UTC
I'm so sorry to hear of your accident Joe, best wishes for a fast and full recovery!

D
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2020 - 07:36 PM UTC
Oh my Goodness, Joe! I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope your situation improves.

Just let me know when you're back on to your build and we'll fix it up.

Gaz