World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Catalina......
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2006 - 05:37 AM UTC
Does anyone know where I can find the drawings to the boards that you stand on while repairing the engines on the Catalinas?
I guess that you have to scratch build those, I can't find them as kits anywhere.....
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 06:36 AM UTC
G'day Jan,

Apart from using 'Evergreen' Styrene packs, for scratch building the stands and boards.

This photo may help answer part of your question, it's one of several Catalina pix I have, but shows the serving {on Land} at Lake Boga [Victoria, Australia]

If you would like a copy of this photo let me know

Hope this helps
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 06:59 PM UTC

.....still 'on' about the Catalina are we my wee laddie?...... :-)

Our good 29Foxtrot provided a very nice photo of the equipment used. If you look closely, there's quite a bit of small detail that can be pulled from the pic........but, better yet {IMHO}. If you're considering a nice dio setting for your new Cat build Jan, cast your eye on the large outbuilding in the background......now that would be a pretty neat setting for your Cat. And the building doesn't look that hard to build....pretty much a 3-sided building with a flat roof. With a small investment in some sheet Evergreen, a couple pacs of strip stock and "Bob's yer uncle!"

Tread

PostScript: After further scrutiny of the provided photo, another suggestion {I'm just full of 'em this morning ;-) }. See that tall I-beam gantry device in the upper right-hand corner of the photograph?
Looks like it was probably used to remove/replace the wing mounted engines in the Cats.....hmmmm, now I just know you know where to get some dandy AM replacement engines for the kit right?
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 08:48 PM UTC
Hi fellows....

Thanks a million for the photo, and Gordon, thanks for the diorama ideas...had that in mind but didn't look that close....as you pointed out there's alot of cool stuff here. Would love to have a copy of the photo, do you by any chance have more, maybe from one remote island base etc?

Yup Gordon, know exactly what engines to use here for the Cat....

.....and guns too.....
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 08:58 PM UTC
Jan,

After some serching threw my many WW II photo's I found the other half to the one shown above and another of similar serving but to a Beaufighter.

Send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll forward the 3 pix too you.

TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 10:37 PM UTC

Hey Jan....I'm gettin' the dreded red 'X's' instead of your pics......think you could repost'em?

tia

Tread.
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 10:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Jan....I'm gettin' the dreded red 'X's' instead of your pics......think you could repost'em?

tia

Tread.

Shock------horror!

I'll try again Gordon.....
Nope still the same dreded X's.....here's the links instead.

Karaya Browning .50's
Buffies Best Pratt & Whitney R-1830 1-48

Don't know why I get those red X's.....oh well. :-)
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 11:57 PM UTC
Fellows...

Is there any planes floating around for these stands and boards to scratchbuild? Or would I be forced to draw them up myself?
And where could I go to find supplies for this beside Evergreen??

Thanks....
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 07:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

tia

Tread.

Shock------horror!

I'll try again Gordon.....
Nope still the same dreded X's.....here's the links instead.

Karaya Browning .50's
Buffies Best Pratt & Whitney R-1830 1-48

Don't know why I get those red X's.....oh well. :-)

Here ya go laddie!

I gotta say, the detail on these items is very nice indeed.....and just screams out to be included in a nice dio......dontcha think Jan?

Tread.
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 08:42 PM UTC
You bet Gordon! Having hanging in of those gantry cranes or what you call them, and one still on the machine waiting to be replaced.....
What did you think about the Karaya .50's then??
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 06:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You bet Gordon! Having hanging in of those gantry cranes or what you call them, and one still on the machine waiting to be replaced.....

Very much along the lines I was thinking there Jan Have the gantry {which was probably on wheels} straddling the nose of the Catalina, just in front of the leading edge of the wing. Have one of those superbly made AM engines from Buffies Best suspended from the crossbeam by a chain and cumalong either going in or coming out of the engine nacelle {say, the starboard side}. Then heavily weather the outside of the port side engine cowling with dark soot suggesting that both of these engines are beginning to blow oil from so many hours 'on duty' and on patrol. Surround the perimeter of the aircraft with a couple of those very neat, tubular steel maintenance platforms {with at least one positioned right next to the nose of the aircraft to facilitate proper access for the mechanic removing/replacing the engine which is hanging by the chain}, toss a smattering of tools, lunch, ammo crates, etc around the place and Voila!...........but then, I'm just getting overly creative with your spare time afterall.......aren't I?

Tread.
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 08:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Very much along the lines I was thinking there Jan Have the gantry {which was probably on wheels} straddling the nose of the Catalina, just in front of the leading edge of the wing. Have one of those superbly made AM engines from Buffies Best suspended from the crossbeam by a chain and cumalong either going in or coming out of the engine nacelle {say, the starboard side}. Then heavily weather the outside of the port side engine cowling with dark soot suggesting that both of these engines are beginning to blow oil from so many hours 'on duty' and on patrol. Surround the perimeter of the aircraft with a couple of those very neat, tubular steel maintenance platforms {with at least one positioned right next to the nose of the aircraft to facilitate proper access for the mechanic removing/replacing the engine which is hanging by the chain}, toss a smattering of tools, lunch, ammo crates, etc around the place and Voila!...........but then, I'm just getting overly creative with your spare time afterall.......aren't I?

Tread.

Says who?? Awesome ideas Gordon, like them alot! Then you could have a table with the .50's lying on for maintenance and cleaning. Another couple of guys work in the nose to bolt another four fixed .50's to the keel a' la Lahodney......(yummy)

29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 08:38 PM UTC
Jan,

If I may add to what Gordon has mentioned, in 'Dirtying Up' your future model subject.

The wartime photo the RAAF gave as a reference to the model shown below.

The completed model that I built as part of the RAAF contract, use either of these as a reference point, if you wish to replicate the RAAF bird I'd be glad to help with info on how I did this model subject.
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 09:41 PM UTC
WOW!!! SmileyCentral.com

That is one AWESOME looking Cat you have done Rob!!
How did you weather it like that?? That would look great
on my Black Cat, perfect....
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 09:59 PM UTC
I'd iike to think that My Black cat would look that good - but my skills are way below that as yet.
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 05:31 AM UTC
Here's some more.....

Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 01:12 PM UTC
Just to keep the interest up fellows...... :-) How about this for maintenance shop? I know that it could be tough for a Catalina/Black Cat unit sometimes but this.......

29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 06:36 PM UTC
Jan and Andy,

To get my Cat to look like the weather beaten subject portraid in the pic I did the following. Rmember this is a big model, mine was in 2 sub assemblies during the painting/weathering stage.

Step 1:
Fuselage and Wing assemblies - Mask all clear parts as needed then painted silver using Humbrol #191 and left to cure for 3 weeks.

Step 2:
Painted the Fuselage Only { The wing is not glued to the fuselage at this stage}, in 'Night' and put aside for a few hours.

Step 3:
Painted the lower wing surface area in 'Night' and put aside for a few hours.

Step 4:
Added decals to fuselage area only and applied setting agent then put aside again for an hour or so.

Step 5:
Painted the Grey tone of the cammo patern free hand.

Step 6:
After cleaning the airbrush I painted the Blue tone of the cammo, the grey area was not quite dry at this time.
Then set the wing assembly aside, for an hour before applying decals and decal agent.

Step 7:
Fuselage Assembly:- rub the entire fuselage assembly with an emery board to expose the silver base coat.

Step 8:
Rub fuselage down with Tamiya Acrylic Thinner to remove any dried paint film and other dust.
Painted the fuselage in Matt Varnish and put aside.

Step 9:
Apply decals to main wing and apply decal agent, then set aside for about 1 hour.

Step10:
Main Wing Assembly:- rub the lower wing surface and wing tip floats with an emery board, then repeat for the upper main wing surface, clean wing assembly with Tamiya Acrylic Thinner, then coat with Matt Varnish.

Step11:
Glue beaching gear to fuselage then glue, Main Wing Assembly to Fuselage Assembly and set aside overnight.

Step 12:
Coat entire model with Matt Varnish and let cure before applying 3rd coat of Matt Varnish. When dry, add the pastel weathering and exhaust stains and seal with sealer, then coat with another Matt Varnish and when dry remove masking from all areas.

This model is finished in the Xtra Color enamel paint range of
'Night' - Lower Wing area and Fuselage
Dark Sea Grey and 'Ocean Blue' on the Uper Wing area, {Toned down Insignia Blue by adding little Insinia white}.
Matt Varnish.

With the Xtra Color enamels I used a 1 - 1 mix of Paint and Laquer Thinner This model was built {in 2005}, as a 43 Sqn RAAF subject and is part of a contract with the Officer Training School of the RAAF.

I hope this information is of help.

Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 09:25 PM UTC
That is of HUGE help Rob, thanks a lot matey....can't wait to get started.

29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2006 - 07:38 PM UTC
Jan,

Your welcome.

Glad to be of help and when you start your Catalina project, if you need help I'd be glad to assist.
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 03:19 AM UTC
Man....I knew I remembered seeing a superbly done Cat somewhere back a few months or so.....and all this time it was indeed yours 29Foxtrot! Thx for posting pics for us all to see, they are very helpful and show just what can be done with this massive beastie.

I've got to say once again that I am quite intrigued with your planned maintenance setting for your Cat Lucky13. Along with the fact that the Catalina kit in 1/48th form is enormous in it's own right, coupled with a nicely tought out maintenance dio, you would be guaranteeing yourself a very special place at the contest table

If you might indulge me again Jan, I had some further input
First, the photos of the weapons bay....is that a quad fifty caliber setup? Heck, didn't even know they sported that kind of firepower. I would definitely consider the inclusion of that nifty addition.
Also, you provided some dandy shots of the engine cowling maintenance flaps in the 'open' position....I especially like those! Reminds me of the Super Conny build I had in mind just recently. I was planning on building the early Blue Angels support aircraft, the Super Constellation, originally built by Howard Hughes. If you've ever seen how the engine cowling flaps look in the 'open' position on a Constellation, it is indeed very cool IMHO.....
I would most definitely include the flaps if I were you

Tread.

Once again.........man, those AM engines just SCREAM out for super-detailing!!!!!
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 06:12 PM UTC
Gordon,

Thanks once again for the kind words on this RAAF Catalina, yes it has been a long time since you and I swapped idea's of model aircraft subjects. This particular Cat has had some very interesting coments made about it by several groups outside the OTS who have been allowed to 'Borrow' it, including myself as I often 'Borrow' it for my club to display at our Model Expo competitions.

My Cat was first posted on a forum about Febuary / March of 2004, prior to heading to it's 'new home' at the Officer Training School at RAAF Base Williams.
The day this model was delivered to the School, was something out of the ordinary and would be remembered for a long time, due to the AGM of the RAAF's Catalina Veterans at the Officer's Mess on the Base, I was asked by their President if I could bring this model too their meeting for their members to view and reminise over.

Incidently I do have a 48 scale PBY 5a done in overall Folliage Green as an RAAF subject, {I'll locate a photo of it and post here later}, at present it is on loan to the RAAF along with a Lancaster and a Beaufighter.

29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 06:33 PM UTC
Here is the PBY 5a as an RAAF Communications Flight subject done in overall Folliage Green.

Sadly this is the only pic I have of this type of Catalina.
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 09:14 PM UTC
Hi Gordon and Rob
Just been sending away an email to try find plans (or anything) for the platforms in the pictures, I'm hunting high and low to find somethiung decent. What would you use to build them round 0.5 mm metal rods or the same but made in styrene??
How about figures and tools, any good source for them??
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2006 - 04:00 PM UTC
Jan,

For the frame tubing use the 'Evergreen Brand' styrene supplies, for the planking have a look into the AM products for the Billings Boat and Ship models, they have the wood lanks and other stuff available that you can use for realistic wood, or even a balsa wood sheet.

As for the figures and tools, CMK make 48 scale figures that you may have to alter them in someway. Another way is Priesler with their model railroad sienic figures.

If you have problems finding the Priesler figure let me know and I'll get a copy of the range for you.

Hope this helps a little.