Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
"The Guardian Angel" Helicopter Campaign '07
Busybeas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 102 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:43 PM UTC
Rega build continued: But an issue to be resolved

The two main sliding doors are too large to fit within the opening in the fuselage, some careful of trimming was needed to get them to fit flush.
I am suprised at this error from Revell

Before :

After :

A multitude of other work completed, soon careful filling ot the seams, masking and spraying to come..

more soon
Steve
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 05:12 AM UTC
She looks great Steve, really nice. You did a nice job fitting in the doors. Here is a thread in seam filling that my help... Here

As for masking windows, I like to use painter masking tape, it's not as sticky as normal masking tape. Most often I make the tape less sticker when doing cockpit glass by putting the tape on my arms. It picks up the oils and the tape isn't so sticky and easy to pull off with out damage. Also take a tooth pics and lightly rub the edges down. When spraying, spray below the tape seam.

The Rega taking shape and looking forward to see some paint started.

Joe
Busybeas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 11:33 AM UTC

Thanks for the encouragement Joe, appreciated.
Have checked out the seam filling thread, many thanks for that, will be very helpful to me

I have used tamiya masking tape successfully on my r/c models, its low tack, so will give that a go on the Rega.

Once again, thanks for the advice

cheers
Steve
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 05:55 AM UTC
Progress on the HH-60G continues. The interior is complete.

I modified the aux tank to be a single tank and added a bunch of gear from various places, some homemade. The center-line ammo box was modified so that the ammo drive motors actually line up with where the ammo comes out. The side that has the one motor is wrong and needs to be cut down the middle and the motor moved to the right side. I added gauges from a UH-1 instrument panel decal that I cut into individual instruments and placed on the instrument panel. The Camelbak is from a figure set, with drinking tube and straps added. The backboard is from the ProArt DumVee set. I haven't decided if I will add the gunners seats or use 40mm ammo cans for them. Let me know what you think.

Here it is:

More pics here.

mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 09:06 AM UTC
Wow Gino real sharp...yes sir. I like how the avionics/controls of the instrument panel came out, also great job with the UH-1 decals, nice touch. look at it well and saw a the little added in detail thats not found in the kit. I’d like to see more of your work behind the pilots seats. Two quick question, the non-slip strips on the cargo floor, are the painted on or are they strips. Were are the fire extinguishers from. This is going to be a great looking bird, and one pretty hard to beat. I’m so looking forward to seeing more progress photos.

Happy Modeling,
Joe

Edit: I just saw the link to the other photos.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 09:42 AM UTC
Thanks Joe, glad you like it.

Quoted Text

Two quick question, the non-slip strips on the cargo floor, are the painted on or are they strips. Were are the fire extinguishers from.

The non-slip strips I did the same way as the non-slip on armor models. I used the Rust-Olium Terra Cotta spray masked off in strips, them painted them flat black. Here is more on the technique. The fire extinguishers are from the CC set. They look like copies from the ones in the Academy Hueys though.

I'll update more as I go.
Busybeas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 11:44 AM UTC

Wow Gino,
She looks awesome, the extra stowed gear/detailing really brings her to life..
Very inspiring work, I look forward to seeing more .

Regards

Steve
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 11:54 AM UTC
Hi Gino!

Impressive work! I can't wait to see more...

Jean-Luc
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 01:42 PM UTC
Thanks gents. I'll keep you posted. I may be doing some changes to the cabin layout based on some new data I just received, we'll see.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 03:00 PM UTC
Great work, Gino. It will be awesome when finished, I am sure....
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 03:59 AM UTC
Howdy all,

Gentlemen.......absolutely superb stuff so far!! It is indeed a pleasure to follow along and watch talented people at work.....just pure pleasure

Tread.
bounce19712
KitMaker: 80 posts
AeroScale: 59 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 07:46 AM UTC
Air raid sirens are going off at my house!!!!!!!

heheheh...WOW!!! this site is awesome!!!..

errr....I'm new...and about to get the models out of the attic...and do a maintenance call on my paints.....

very thrilled to finally find some fellow modelers with a helo passion.

it is here where I can learn from some very impressive and skilled model building going on...wow....I hope I can learn some tricks of the trade...

I've got a helo or two in mind...first one is a UH-1D Air America with anti-strella exhaust which will pose some challenges for me...namely :

finally getting my Air America tail boom stickers printed up somewhere...
and forming an anti-strella exhaust pipe

I look forward to posting some pics of what i completed of it about 5 years ago...lol...

I won't be opposed to starting one from the beginning though if that's an issue.....

this is great!!!

Bounce

edit:...had to take a couple pics and post...I'm excited!!! these two helos were assembled prior to finishing the interiors....they fell victim to my first air brush purchase and the need to use it....

This huey was my first attempt at manufacturing extra pieces to add to a model..I was very happy with the results but i see there is tons of room for improvement...hehehe...hey, when I was young...I imagined taking a real airplane or helo and shrinking it down to 1:32 scale...now that would be a great model!!!

I did a hack job on the seatbelts and buckles.lol....used the model cardboard box to make armor for the seats.....melted sprue to wrap around some thicker sprue for rear seat springs...

bounce19712
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 11:12 PM UTC
so I've been looking online for new additions and I'm pleased to see some chithooks from trumpeter and the Hind...and a few more euro choppers...but curses!!! they still havent come out with a Coast guard Dolphin in 1/32 or 1/35....dough!

and what a surprise....I see the Trumpeter Mi-4 is now available for 34$$ on ebay...DANG!! I paid 104$$...think I'll wait on any of the new trumpeters for a while....

mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 05:14 AM UTC
Hey George great looking helicopters, paint job look super, especially the McDonnell Douglas OH-6. What is that based on. I have to say the instrument panel in the Huey look great, nice job painting on the details, if you don’t mind can I ask how you achieved such sharp detail. Question, looking a AA’ I see that you removed the broom closet/sidewalls and fill them in along with the smaller side doors, is this found on the real AA’ Huey. As for the rest of the details…it’s looks good from what I see. Now let’s get them finished.

Yeah the Trumpeter released them about last year, yes they have some problems but personally I don’t care…I’m just glad to see some new Helicopter released. Revell’s line of 1/32 Helicopters are sweeeet, excellent fit and sharp details. Yeah if you wait long enough you’ll find some great buy from eBay or on line shops.

Joe
bounce19712
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 05:55 AM UTC
thanks guy! I appreciate the good words...

The Revell huey police helicopter came as such...without broom closet, and suicide doors were molded in place....

the instrument panel was done with 000 brush?? I think that's the size....
along with a printed placard that I pasted on...(for the red placard on the left side of the panel).....finished off by multiple blobs of future clear acrylic to imitate instrument glass..

paint scheme on the Hughes 500D was just a convenient tape job
bounce19712
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:31 AM UTC
well fellas, I've chosen my helo for the Guardian Angel Campaign.

it'll be the Testors hh-43 huskie....paint scheme for a USAF model out of Ubon, Thailand in '65....my dad picked this model out for me about twenty five years ago at a hobby shop and was excited about it ...remarking that these were the Air Forces rescue choppers for him when he was over in SEA. Well... I got the model home and it did not have the rotor blades!!!!! we returned it for a different type and now ..years later....I've got another with the rotors this time....heheheh..just need to verify I have all the parts again....I still gotta find out if they were camo or grey...lol....I'm betting they were grey since his f-4 was grey and white too....the camo stuff came later....??

Testors HUSKIE No. 7206 1/32 scale http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tes/tes7206.htm

here are some pics of the era i found..

: http://www.h43-huskie.info/Ubon-Page1.htm

I see there is an after market detail kit from cobra which is 400% more than the model itself....hmmm...I'll look at the cockpit and then decide...
Busybeas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 11:55 AM UTC
Wow, Bounce,

what a quirky looking helo

So full of character and to have a personal aspect too, is cool

A great link to the prototype too,, look forward to seeing more of this in build,

Cheers

Steve
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 01:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

well fellas, I've chosen my helo for the Guardian Angel Campaign.

it'll be the Testors hh-43 huskie....paint scheme for a USAF model out of Ubon, Thailand in '65....here are some pics of the era i found..

: http://www.h43-huskie.info/Ubon-Page1.htm

I see there is an after market detail kit from cobra which is 400% more than the model itself....hmmm...I'll look at the cockpit and then decide...

Good choice I look forward to see this one take shape. It is an old kit, so maybe a detail set is worth it. On the other hand it might also be fun to build it straight for the box for sentimental reasons.

Nice info on the chopper.

Remember there is also a Vietnam campaign. Just in case you had something in your stash that could support the war effort in South East Asia :-) :-)
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:51 PM UTC
Hot Damn, I've always wanted to get a kit of the Huskie, not just for the challenge of building the kit but also so i could use it when i'm teaching aircraft recognition to the Air Cadets at my local Squadron. They always look gone out at me when i try explaining intermeshing and contra-rotating rotors and props
bounce19712
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 11:10 PM UTC
neato! Tomcat!!.....errr...what was that motto again??...Semper Vigilance!!!

Civil Air Patrol right? Enterprise Squadron out of Miami years ago.....fun, fun , fun!

I talked to my dad this morning and he confirmed shiny aluminum paint schemes on the Huskies at Ubon..as well as here in the states at Eglin, Mcdill, and Avon Park....(1964-5)...he loved 'em for their fire fighting capabilities.

well...here's the beginning:

she's suffered some warpage in a couple areas...hopefully the clothespin trick when gluing will do it...

and I just ordered the 44 dollar detail kit for this 10$ dollar model!!...lol...

I figure since they flew with the rear clam shell doors off....it'll be visible from many views....

see ya, george

RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
AeroScale: 226 posts
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 - 11:04 AM UTC
Mother:
You can count me in. I'll build my UH-1h from my old unit that I crewed for 4 yrs. Used for VIP & BN staff.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 - 11:25 AM UTC
Great choice and kit George, looking forward to seeing it started. $44.00 for a $10 dollar kit. Looks like the decals are still useable.

Todd, good to see you joined in, UH-1H sound great. Will you be doing more than a out of box build!

Great Job guys

Joe
Busybeas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 - 09:00 PM UTC
The Rega is getting ready for the spray shop

Joint seams needed some attention, so they got filled..

Post sanding was much better :-)

and I know its silly , but who cares, I test fitted the rotor head and blades and cranked them up

Rega has now been washed, and is air drying, ready for masking and primer coat, to check the seams and lay down a basecoat for the top colours,,,

Fingers crossed

Steve
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 - 09:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

neato! Tomcat!!.....errr...what was that motto again??...Semper Vigilance!!!

Civil Air Patrol right? Enterprise Squadron out of Miami years ago.....fun, fun , fun!

I'm actually an Adult Sergeant the the UK version of the CAP. Officially it called the Air Training Corps and the motto is "Venture Adventure" our Squadron has a very rich history and has close ties to the RAF past and present. Our Squadron for instance is one of the few that is allowed to use the official crest that was used by 195 Squadron that flew Hawker Typhoons and Hurricanes during the war. Their motto was "Velocitate Fortis" which means Speed through Strength.
Here the RAF and our crests.

Any back to the topic i'm hoping to join this campaign once i've got some of my others out of the way. I'm hoping to use something out of my stash but I haven't found many Helo's yet
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 - 10:24 PM UTC
Wow!
Great work everyone. Gino, that cockpit is awsome!
Busybeas, your Rega is looking better by the minute. Nice work!
Bounce19712, can't wait to see your Huskie. Nice looking birds you have in the pictures.

I have opened the box on my second entry. The N.C. Forest Service Huey now has a painted cockpit and is coming along nicely. This is the Italeri "Carabinieri" kit in 1/48 scale built into the UH-1B. Here is where she stands right now.