Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
"The Guardian Angel" Helicopter Campaign '07
wizard179
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 251 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 11:45 AM UTC
@HeavyArty

Thanks for the info on that mate. I'l check out that link when I get home and do some research on possible after-market accessories, including Aussie decals.

Cheers
Wiz
wizard179
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 251 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 01:24 PM UTC
OK - I'm in. Will be doing the 1/72 RAN Seahawk S-70B/2 using the Idea kit and Hawkeye models conversion and detail set.

Cheers
Wiz
seuss95b
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 01:24 PM UTC
I am in!!!!! I just started a Blackhawk afew days ago. Just some subgroups built. I'll put it on hold and finsish up some armor pieces that have been waiting for me to come back until the campaign starts
Tigerbait
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 08:52 PM UTC
Count me in. I have the 1/48 Belcher Bits Naval Lynx kit. I was in desperate need of some motivation to build this kit and this is just what the doctor ordered I think

Now for my first question of the build... This is my third all resin kit and I used super glue for the assembly. Is there another adhesive that you guys might recomend for all resin kits???

Thanks in advance...
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 09:00 PM UTC
Todd

The only other alternative to CA glue in my experience is two part exopy (araldite in UK - not sure of brand name in USA)

Andy
Tigerbait
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 11:27 PM UTC
Cool! Thanks!
Clanky44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
AeroScale: 133 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 07:51 AM UTC
Hello Joe, my cross border neighbour! How's life in,... I can't quite recall if it's Buffalo or Albany you live in ...my apologies. This campaign is a great excuse to finally put together one of my 72nd scale helos. I've had all the components to build either of the H21 or the H34 kits from Italeri. I plan on doing a similar Canadian Rescue scheme as an OOB H19 I completed a few years back. I'm looking forward to seeing all the entries.

P.S. I've got a couple of large 35th scale helos that will never get built, and if you're interested, I could meet you at the Buffalo show and pass them along, let me know...

Frank

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 08:14 AM UTC
Here is what my entry will eventually look like. Well, except mine will have glue streaks on the windows, the paint will have a fingerprint here and there, and it won't actually fly. :-) :-)
Almost got the interior finished already!

mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 10:04 AM UTC
wizard179, seuss95b, Tigerbait, Clanky44 and VonCuda...Thanks for your support Looking forward to start seeing everyone's progress photos. As of now there sure looks like some great entries.

Ok I'll spill my guts on what my entry going to be...Academy's 1/48 CH-53E, I plan on doing some major detail and scratchbuild with her. And if I have the time I'd like to build the 1/35th CH-47D.... we'll see.

Joe
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 12:45 PM UTC
Hi Joe

I will join and I am planning to build one of the below kits if I can get my hand on them at the LHS..... I will build OOB maybe with the exception of some new decals.
Is it allowed to start building already now or should we wait for the 1st of March?

1st priority

2nd priority

3rd priority

mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 09:56 PM UTC
Hey man glad to have you aboard. Jesper I see no harm starting now, as a matter of fact most oppted to a sooner start date. So yes go ahead and start.

Joe

Great choices by the way!
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 01:49 AM UTC
hi joe! i'm going to join this build with a classic kit, namely the airfix 1/72 sea king in the famous "66" scheme that picked up the apollo astronauts.
can i start now?
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 05:22 AM UTC
Hey Phil nice to have you as well, that is a great heilcopter and still a good size for it's scale. The Sea King rates around 5 on my favorite list of Helo's. As to starting now... yeah sure, go for it. Can't wait to see the progress photos.

Joe
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 05:33 AM UTC
At ease, smoke’m if you got’em :-)

Ok now that I have your attention it seems that many if not most would like to get started on their Helicopters, who could blame them, it’s not often that this subject is on our bench. So I say Why not lets go for it. Other than the new starting time nothing else has changed. But do remember to post progress photos and when your finished show finial pics along with a brief description/story or history about the model you built.

Now as you were

Joe
Tigerbait
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 06:31 AM UTC
Well here's the beginnings of my project. The major fuselage parts are cleaned and ready to be assembled.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m76/Cryxboy/Heli%20Campaign/IMG_0929.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m76/Cryxboy/Heli%20Campaign/IMG_0931.jpg
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 07:53 AM UTC
Hot link to Tigerbait's photos, one and two

Wow that is some serious resin Todd, is it as heavy as it looks. Well your off to a great start, keep us posted.

Joe
Tigerbait
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 07:12 PM UTC
Thanks for the hot link. I'll try to fix that on the next post. When it's finally assembled it will probably be scale weight :-) I just hope the gear will hold up
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 01:52 AM UTC
o.k. joe, now i've got the official word to get on with this, heres my first pics, no actual building yet, but i thought the contents of the box might stir a few memories, as this is a genuine mid 70's produced kit i bought "under the table" from a chap at the hinckley model show last year. in the second pic, one of the two comics that are mentioned,Battle was one i used to get, that had an airfix club page/advert in it

Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 01:59 AM UTC
Happy memories - isn't nostalgia great, but it used to be better

Made this kit in my teens, along with the Saturn IV, probably they turned out bad, but i enjoyed doing them

Andy
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 02:24 AM UTC
Hi all!

Well, then it´s off to the bench, and a Kiowa it will be!

Do we post our builds here, or do we start our own treads?
We´re not so many (yet) so i think it would work with a "all-in-one" tread, what do the rest of you think about It

Phil, I have so many fond memories from that old Airfix Sea King helo!

I built that, eeehhh..... 35 years ( ) something ago, and I remember i had a great time with It!
Looking forward to see your build here!

Pics coming soon!

Cheers!

Stefan E
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 04:53 AM UTC
Wow Phil that looks like a nice kit, that’s one I don’t have, I’d hate to see it started, it's all complete in all...

Do we post our builds here, or do we start our own treads?

Well I’d like to keep the progress post and question here on this tread. This way the posts are not lost in the treads, and everyone who is signed on will be informed with each other. We’d like to see the Helicopter (excuse the pun) take flight here on Aero Scale. This way if any visitors or members care to have a glance at our posts, they’ll get to see all of our work and maybe generate an interest to sign on.

I’d like to suggest that we keep posting here with questions and progress here, and once your finished post a separate tread with your finial Helicopter photos along with it history, info or some point of interest. Also on this tread post “one” finial finished photo with a link to your finished tread.

Joe
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 08:37 AM UTC
HI all
I've made decent progress on my Dolphin so far. The interior is done and the fuselage is together, filled, sanded and ready for the second coat of primer. Hope to have some progress shots ASAP.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 11:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

HI all
I've made decent progress on my Dolphin so far. The interior is done and the fuselage is together, filled, sanded and ready for the second coat of primer. Hope to have some progress shots ASAP.

Wow! Fast work. Looking forward to the pictures.
Sluff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oulu, Finland
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 12:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

HI all
I've made decent progress on my Dolphin so far.

I haven't even received my kit yet I was kind of hoping that postman would bring it today... well, I will find out in few hours...
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 06:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I haven't even received my kit yet I was kind of hoping that postman would bring it today... well, I will find out in few hours...

I know what you mean. I went to my LHS yesterday and they did not have one single russian attack helicopter from any model manufacturer Only a MI-4 hound and that is not armed enough for me :-) :-)

Anyway, they would get new Zvezda kits next week, so there should be some Russian attack helicopters among the kits.