Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
"The Guardian Angel" Helicopter Campaign '07
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 12:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi All.

My name is Steve, am soon to be 48 yrs old and have just signed up to Aeroscale and indeed this heli campaign , I live in the Midlands of the UK, and have been a life-long modeller of all sorts.(model railway, r/c model boats/ yachts /tanks/trucks and helis)

Helicopters have always been a favourite, and I am rediscovering my kit build skill this year.
Eyes are not as good as they used to be so the bigger the scale the better...

I have now purchased the 1:32 Revell Eurocopter Swiss Rega, and an Acadamy 1:35 Black Hawk... ( yes.. I have the film and the book too!) thought I'd try the Rega first to hone my skills.

I hope my contribution will be a worthwhile additon to the fabulous builds I have seen on here... real inspiration I must say !

This will be my first rotary craft in probably 36 years , so be gentle with me :-)

Steve

hey welcome aboard steve! nice one on joining this campaign, a lot of first timers get worried about joining in, but they are a great and freindly way to have fun building models with a common theme.
have you seen the bulldogs forum? if you click on the IPMS-UK link under my name you'll get over there, and we will have a stand at the miton keynes show this sunday, if theres any chance you can get down there come and say hi.
phil.
Busybeas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 102 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 05:13 AM UTC
Thanks for the warm welcome,Phil

I am trying to grasp the image upload side of things... so here "should" be a piccy of the kit box & contents

I had to take the first kit back, as two of the (four)skid struts were completely broken off... There's an amazing amount of parts rammed inside the box.. 11 sprues in total !
As these are THE main supports.. I didn't really want to repair them.

Steve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 08:01 AM UTC
Hermon, wow man nice job on the HH-65A Dolphine, paint looks real smooth. Can't wait to see the start of the Forest Service Huey, thats going o be interesting. Don't for get to post your finished Helicopter in the Finished Helicopter thread found here, also some info about the Dolphine.

Sam, the Black Hawk is a great kit, I'm sure your will look out standing and finger printless

Antony welcome aboard and a great enty with your Mi-8MT/Mi-17 Hip, is this going to be a OOB build.

Steve...welcome to AeroScale and to the Campaign. The EC145 REGA looks great, man those part trees are full and well detailed. Looking forward to see progress photos. Whats your plans on the Black Hawk, a Mogadishu bird maybe. I know what you mean about the eyes getting old. i just started wearing cheaters last year, what a difference.

I'm finished with my clean up of parts and glued all the halves togather. My cockpit and interior is painted, most of which will be glued in tonight. Progress pics will be up tomorrow.

Joe
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 08:33 AM UTC
Joe,
Pic's and story have been posted on "Finished Thread"......................
Huey is in the mail, should be here first of the week...........................
HeavyArty is supplying the required decals................................
Bright (and I mean BRIGHT) Yellow paint was acquired tonight..................
All systems are GO!

Hermon
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

and an Academy 1:35 Black Hawk... ( yes.. I have the film and the book too!)

Seve,
If you need/want more info on Operation Gothic Serpent (actual US Military name for Black Hawk Down) helos, let me know. I have a bunch of pics and info on how the aircraft were set up. It will take some work, but you can make one out of the Academy kit, just not straight from the box.

Welcome aboard.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 01:56 PM UTC
@Herman: Great job on the Dolphin. Very striking finish. Congratulations on a great entry!

That NC forest service Huey is really a colorful bird. Guess it will be a though job to do - at least for me. I always have had a problem with yellow on wide surfaces :-) :-)

There are a lot of interesting builds in this campaign. I will update on my progress on the KA-52 over the weekend. It seems like the KA-52 will carry more ordenance than all the other birds together. :-) :-)
Busybeas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 02:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

and an Academy 1:35 Black Hawk... ( yes.. I have the film and the book too!)

Seve,
If you need/want more info on Operation Gothic Serpent (actual US Military name for Black Hawk Down) helos, let me know. I have a bunch of pics and info on how the aircraft were set up. It will take some work, but you can make one out of the Academy kit, just not straight from the box.

Welcome aboard.

Cheers , Gino,
I have ordered the full set of Eduard photo etch for the Black Hawk, I believe this will make the full 60A version..

Have just started reading Mike Durrants book "The Night Stalkers",( what an amazing book) a real insight, into the awesome jobs these brave guys do in real life.

Rest assured, I shall be gathering all the information I can get, before I make a start on the Black Hawk.... but am going with the Swiss Rega to "cut my teeth" first

Regards
Steve
Busybeas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:26 PM UTC

Well, she's under way then , while waiting for the dashboard / display assembly paint to dry, I made a start on the 5 seats,.. 3 of them actually mount on a working swivel base, which was a nice suprise.

Best of all, I had forgotten just how much an enjoyable past time this is.
Before I get too far into the build, may I ask, a couple of questions ?

I started to paint some of the parts whilst on the tree /sprue.. but then concluded it would be better to paint each completed assembly ?
I am thinking its better to glue plastic than paint ! Am I correct?

Do you give the parts a blast of primer, before using the colour enamel /acrylics..?
Any advice would be appreciated..

Many thanks
Steve
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 12:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I started to paint some of the parts whilst on the tree /sprue.. but then concluded it would be better to paint each completed assembly ?
I am thinking its better to glue plastic than paint ! Am I correct?

I think your'e right, try to work in subassemblies and make them as large as possible! The only time I paint parts attached to the sprue is when they form a convenient "handle" for the part. Landing gear parts are a good example!

Quoted Text

Do you give the parts a blast of primer, before using the colour enamel /acrylics..?

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't... If you are using a dark colour there is really no need for primer. Blemishes are easily mended using some putty and then you can repaint. Several times if needed! If you are using white, yellow or red, a light coloured primer (my favourite is Polly Scale primer grey) is an absolute necessity!

Keep on asking and good luck with your models!

Regards

Magnus
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 05:52 PM UTC
Here is an update on my KA-52 build. It is coming together rather nicely. Now I only need to mount the wings, rotor blades, radar dome on top of the rotorss, and cockpit glazing. Then I am ready to start painting. Which will be by hand due to the scale and due to airbrush being cloacked up.

Any good suggestions on how to get my airbrush cleaned up again? I have tried taking it completely apart, but I tink there is still paint leftovers in the main "body" of the airbrush and possibly in the nozzle.

HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 07:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Any good suggestions on how to get my airbrush cleaned up again? I have tried taking it completely apart, but I tink there is still paint leftovers in the main "body" of the airbrush and possibly in the nozzle.

What kinds of paint do you use? If enamel, soak the parts in mineral spirits or lacquer thinner. If acrylics, soak them in amonia. If you can, get a small pipe cleaner or bottle brush and see if you can get it into the inner passages of the AB to clean them out. It should work. Good luck.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 01:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What kinds of paint do you use? If enamel, soak the parts in mineral spirits or lacquer thinner. If acrylics, soak them in amonia. If you can, get a small pipe cleaner or bottle brush and see if you can get it into the inner passages of the AB to clean them out. It should work. Good luck.

I use Acrylics - mainly from Vallejo and Eagle Colors. I have not tried with amonia. I will try that. Thank you very much! Hope it works.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 02:20 AM UTC
Here is a small update on the Russian rotor air support. Now the KA-52 is taking form and getting ready to fly to the paint heli-pad

Thanks for looking

mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 09:06 AM UTC
Ok just a small up date on where I'm at. It's a Hasegawa 1/48th SH-3H Sea King. I decided to do a small portion of the interior walls, you really can’t see inside once the fuselage is closed up, but I had a hard time not doing anything to the inners. I did paint everything up but forgot to take a photo I’ll try to when it’s fully done.

I re-scribed some of the panel lines and rivet indentations through out the kit.

And paint has been applied to the exterior fuselage, white over (gray FS16440)

Next step is to custom mix a orange to match some of the decals. More to follow

Joe
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 09:09 AM UTC
Wow Jesper you really move along, can't wait to see that sharp paint laid on. Great Job

Joe
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 09:46 AM UTC
Got started on my 1/35 HH-60G in OIF based on the Academy MH-60G kit tonight. No pics yet though. I am using the Cobra Company MH/HH-60G set, a few interior pieces made by other modelers, a bit of scratch-building, and a custom decal set made by a friend. Just to refresh your memory, it will be a bird from Davis-Mothan AFB in AZ in a three-tone desert scheme.

Updates to come.
wizard179
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 251 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 02:01 PM UTC
@Joe - Nice interior, looks awesome!
@ Jesper - The Kamov is looking great, too. Build looks really clean.

Can't wait to see the finished models

Cheers
Wiz
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 08:28 PM UTC
Joe this is really good. I had a seriously hard time building that kit (so hard that I quit, only one ever - that and the cracked canopy that it shipped with). Mostly it was just getting the parts right because the instructions I had incorporated parts on the model from 3 different Sea King versions to make a quassy Sea King. Looks like you are having a better go that I did. Good luck

Jeff
Screaminhelo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:09 PM UTC
Hey, I just got wind of the campaign and I figure I'll jump in with my ...GULP...Hobbycraft H-21. I just want to see what a little bit of TLC can do for this thing. I am not sure of any particular A/C, I'm just trying to make a silk....well rayon anyway...out of a sow's ear.

Mac
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 05:02 AM UTC
Little update,
First paint was applied followed by three coats of acrylic floor wax.

After 24 hours of drying, oil was was applied.

After 5 hours of drying, I used Q-tips to swipe of excess oil.

Next is to dull coat then airbrush some bleaching ( to wear and weather paint) followed by a exhaust spray and any other detail needed. More to follow

Joe
Clanky44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
AeroScale: 133 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 08:45 AM UTC
Impressive bit of work there Joe!!! If you keep up this pace, you'll have to grace us with a few more helis....

Frank
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 09:44 AM UTC
Great job so far Joe. Keep it up. I hope to have some in-progress pics of teh HH-60G up this weekend.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 12:14 PM UTC
Looks really great, Joe. You are the champ of helicopters
droseman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 82 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 07:34 PM UTC
Hi,

After all this interest, I feel I really should join in... I have a Black Hawk in 1:72 which I would like to make in a Special Ops colour scheme. Not made a heli before, or used my new airbrush, so it will be a selection of firsts.

Just need to find some decals...

Dave
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 07:48 PM UTC
WOW Joe, that Sea King looks marvelous. Whats your technique for "bleaching" your paintwork ?
Hermon, I love the colour scheme on your Dolphin, makes a change to have something nice and bright to look at.
Andy