Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
"The Guardian Angel" Helicopter Campaign '07
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 08:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I’ve decided to change by choice from the H-19 to the 1/48 Special Hobby R-4

Hi Michael!

I too want to do the R-4!

What version do you have? I have the one with floats...

Jean-Luc
Aurora-7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
AeroScale: 125 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 10:42 PM UTC
Hello, Jean-Luc.

I have the wheeled version. It can be done one of two ways. I thought there was a difference between what the army and navy/coast gaurd used (accroding to the kit instructions) but I've seen it used apparently both ways for all service aircraft. I'm planning on doing an army version. this one is different from my above posted army model.

Jean-Luc, have you seen the Fondarie Miniature R5/H03S-1 kit? If so how is it? I'd like a 1/48 R5 for my collection but Fondarie Miniatures tend to be expensive, (at least here in the states) and kit quality seems to very greatly from kit to kit. Your review for the Henschel 129, for example. Either way I'll probably get it because it's the only 1/48 R5 available.
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 05:46 PM UTC
My progress pics have gone out the window, as I have eerr finished it :-).
It is one of the most fiddly, fragile and hardest kits i have ever built.
My entry Rodens 1/72 PKZ-2 W.W.1 helicopter.
During the final months of W.W.1 , the Austro-Hungarian Army's Major Stephan Petrochy assisted by Theodore von Karman and Vilem Zurovec, designed a radical motorized flying machine to replace the dangerous hydrogen-filled balloons then being used to observe enemy positions. Their odd, triangular contraption with counter-rotating propellers ultimately made 30 successful tethered test flights before the project was cancelled. Although never operational, the PKZ-2 was, in fact, the world's first true helicopter, and the only helicopter to fly during W.W.1.
Andy

And just to see how small this thing is, standard Tamiya and Revell paint tins .
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 12:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jean-Luc, have you seen the Fondarie Miniature R5/H03S-1 kit?

Hi Michael!

Sorry, no, I don't know that kit... I will take a look in my French modelling magazines to see if I can find something.

Andy nice... err... thing! :-) I wouldn't have liked to be the pilot of it!

Jean-Luc
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 01:15 AM UTC
Hey Andy,
Wow man great job on it, very interesting little piece. I'd like to see a few more of the early made helicopters. It does look like a delicate little thing, but you pulled it out and she is beautiful. Also like that brief little history that followed along.

Andy I have set up a new thread for those who finished with their entries, when you can post your entry there.

Finished Helicopter Entries

Joe
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 01:27 AM UTC
Hey guys I started up a new thread where we can post our complete and finished Helicopter entries. But we will continue to post questions and progress posts here.

Finished Helicopter Entries

Happy Modeling
Joe
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 05:31 AM UTC
Hi all

Sorry, no progress pics, but I have managed to get one coat of that beautiful orange on my Dolphine. When she's dry I plan to fix any little problems, mask and tape the white fuselage bands, and start on the main rotor. I'm not used to using enamel paints and the waiting for the paint to dry is killing me.

Andy, BRAVO!! That little helo of yours is awsome!
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 04:29 PM UTC
Great to see the finished WWI helicopter. I agree with Jean-Luc. I would not like to be the pilot of that one. Especially not with enemy fighters around.

I have started a little building on my KA-52. The quality of the kit seems to be pretty good and it is coming together fine until now. However, I still need to fit the fuselage halves together, but expect no problems.
The AT missiles were a little tricky to aline properly, but I succeeded in the end. The cockpit is pretty well detailed. The same goes for the complex double rotor assembly.

@mother: any ruling on whether I can use a speculative "operational" camo scheme or I have to use the overall black scheme? See my previous posts on this subject. I have posted the speculative camo scheme from the KA-50 helicopter I wish to use on this one if it is ok for the campaign?

mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 07:45 PM UTC
Jesper no problem man, any configuration or color will be accepted. That pattern for your looks interesting, can’t wait to see it applied to the Alligator. Great start by the way....

Joe
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 08:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jesper no problem man, any configuration or color will be accepted. That pattern for your looks interesting, can’t wait to see it applied to the Alligator. Great start by the way....

Joe

Thanks, Joe That is good news. I really wanted to apply that camo pattern instead of just overall black, which is a bit dull.
Well, back to the workbench
Aurora-7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
AeroScale: 125 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 10:42 PM UTC
Andy,

Nice work. Truely a unique rotary wing craft. Id the pilot supposed to sit above the blades!?

Jesper,

The KA-52's gotta be the meanest looking helicopter there is. I can't wait to see her finished in your colors.
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2007 - 05:31 AM UTC
Thanks guys.
As for a pilot, i don't think it had one. The references i have is that only an observer is at the top. The helicopter is winched up and down by three winches connected to the 3 outriggers.
Looking forward to seeing some more progress pics from you all.
Andy
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2007 - 08:25 AM UTC
Hey, hey Mother!

Man, I am just lovin' this Campaign build so far, and what a GREAT idea! I'm glad someone's synapse's paid off I have dropped suggestions along these lines many times, and I'm glad to finally see that our our own talented mother is ramrodding it. That can only mean that this one will really shine!!

I do have a question though regarding the Campaign rules.....would the possibility of a 'what-if' version of Guardian Angel be considered?
I mean, I've had these rotorcraft variants floating around in my mind for quite some time now and the idea of a V-22 Osprey sporting LAPD colours, or a bigger Idea I had was a radically gutted Osprey designed as a Skycrane replacement on firefighting duties. Maybe it's just me{probably is } but, I would find either example pretty cool.......

Tread
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2007 - 10:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

a radically gutted Osprey designed as a Skycrane replacement on firefighting duties.

That would be sweet! Above my talent level......but way cool!

As for my Dolphin, the orange paint was on, the white fuselage band was taped off and painted, and she was looking awsome. Then I removed the tape and off came several large chunks of the orange paint with it.

That was over the weekend. Today she has been stripped, cleaned, and painted again. Soon as everything is good and dry I'll start the main rotor and finish up some of the details. This has been an awsome kit to build so far! My first helo and my first Trumpeter. I'd really like to see this kit built by you someday Joe. I'm afraid I just ain't doing her justice.
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 04:44 AM UTC
Howdy vonCuda,

Thx for the comments. Yeah, the Osprey idea I had has been crawlin' around in the back of my mind for some time now. It's actually a spin-off of an idea I had planned on for a T2K entry {and haven't ruled that out as yet }. The original idea I conjured up was a cross between a V-22 Osprey and the science fiction vehicle from the Gerry Anderson series, 'Space 1999', the Eaglo One Transporter.
The idea was to redesign the center section of the Osprey so that it more resembled the Skycrane helicopter with the empty mid-section, but could carry several different, individual loads in similar fashion as the Eagle Transporter........this original idea of mine just translated over to the whole 'fire-fighting' application.
The fire-fighting 'thing' I felt was superbly addressed by the Osprey's ability to; heavy lift, stay 'on-station' longer, and once the load is dropped, shift to fastflight configuration to pick up the next load of water/retardant, and then fastflight back to the scene, and repeat......repeat, and.......

....crazy idea huh? ;-)

Tread.
seuss95b
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 10:20 AM UTC
I plan on building this black hawk from academy. Of course mine will have finger prints in the paint!!

mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 10:27 AM UTC
Well I finally finished up some other projects and I’m now ready to start on my entries for this campaign. I had planed on doing only the CH-53E, but now I’m adding the SH-3H Sea King to the list, and will be first on the list, followed by the Super Stallion. I’m also doing a 1/35th Chinook for the Vietnam campaign, stay turned for that.

Happy Modeling,
Joe

drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 03:18 PM UTC
Gosh Joe,

will will be "in competition".

I am planning a sea king as well.

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 12:55 PM UTC
Hi guys
I'm about 2 days away from having my Dolphine finished and I have to say for my first helo kit it was lots of fun and doesn't look half bad. In fact, I'd like to start a second entry soon. I want to do a North Carolina Forest Service helicopter. It's basically an old UH-1 Huey painted bright yellow with some green accents. The only thing holding up my idea is the fact that I can't get decals for her. If anyone of you guys could make a couple of custome decals for this bird I'd be glad to pay for them. Here is a pic of what decal I need.

I only need one decal for each side of the helicopter. Everything else I need I can get from my scrap box.

Thanks
RHO_Steel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dodecanese, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 54 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 07:21 PM UTC
Hello my friends,
Count me in if this OK.
Trumpeter 1/35 # Mi-8MT/Mi-17 Hip

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 11:13 AM UTC
Hi guys

Here is my finished model! It is Trumpeters 1/48 scale, US HH-65A Dolphine. The orange/red paint is a mixture of 4parts International Orange and 1part Signal Red, both MM Enamels. This was a great kit all around and was fun to build. The only real problem with the entire kit was the seam between the front of the glass and the fuselage which had to be filled and sanded without damaging the glass.
The decals went on well and the bright orange pait job was really great to work with instead of the usual green/grey/brown camo schemes.
I'd like to do another entry for this campaign if I can find someone to help out with some custome decals. I planned on doing a UH-1H bright yellow Huey wearing the N.C. Forest Service colors and badges.

Anyway, here are some pic's and sorry about the pic quality. If these aren't sufficent I'll try again on a sunny day.

Thanks for looking!
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 06:33 PM UTC
Ther Dauphin looks great, good job. PM sent on the decals.

I hope to start my HH-60G soon. I can't wait to get going on it.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 09:47 PM UTC
Hey Gino, thanks!
Here is a pic of the next entry I'd like to do. It's the N.C. Forest Service Huey. I already have a 1/48 scale kit......just need the decals.

Busybeas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 102 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 12:21 AM UTC
Hi All.

My name is Steve, am soon to be 48 yrs old and have just signed up to Aeroscale and indeed this heli campaign , I live in the Midlands of the UK, and have been a life-long modeller of all sorts.(model railway, r/c model boats/ yachts /tanks/trucks and helis)

Helicopters have always been a favourite, and I am rediscovering my kit build skill this year.
Eyes are not as good as they used to be so the bigger the scale the better...

I have now purchased the 1:32 Revell Eurocopter Swiss Rega, and an Acadamy 1:35 Black Hawk... ( yes.. I have the film and the book too!) thought I'd try the Rega first to hone my skills.

I hope my contribution will be a worthwhile additon to the fabulous builds I have seen on here... real inspiration I must say !

This will be my first rotary craft in probably 36 years , so be gentle with me :-)

Steve

ps
Once I can fathom out image uploading, I shall post pics !
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 12:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Gino, thanks!
Here is a pic of the next entry I'd like to do. It's the N.C. Forest Service Huey. I already have a 1/48 scale kit......just need the decals.

I thought choppers went forward thanks to that whirling thing on the roof. This was a new one for me :-)

Regards Magnus (who ought to post some photos soon of his "progress" on the HUP-2...)