_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
"The Guardian Angel" Helicopter Campaign '07
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 04:56 AM UTC
Ah that time of the year…no not taxes, campaign builds. This year we will have our second Helicopter campaign build. We will not focus on a particular Helicopter, Country or war, our main focus is to build any Helicopter in any scale from any time frame and period.

The Helicopter is used through out the world everyday and are such a familiar part of modern life that’s it’s easy to forget it’s rapid development. Although the idea can be traced back to da Vinci, the first free flight rotorcraft went up in November 1907 by the name of a Frenchman Paul Cornu. Not only is the Helicopter used for war, it’s also used for Civil Medical transport, Fire/Police agencies, business, recreational and sea-air rescue.

I’d like to get it started on the first of March and end 30 of November 2007. This way you’ll have the time to get what you need and to think over your plans, and with it’s November end date you’ll have the time to finish before the Christmas holiday rush.

The rules are simple enough, just grab yourself a kit in any scale from anytime frame. It also would be nice if you can give some back ground bio, history or any points of interest of your Helicopter. Describe what kit your using, explain what modifications, aftermarket resin and PE you use and not to forget to post your progress photos. And as always have fun. At the end of the campaign a ribbon or medal will be awarded and added to your profile page. All kits and scales welcomed, and any aftermarket resin or photo etch.

This thread will also serve as our official campaign post page. Here we can talk, ask, share and post progress updates and photos. But once you have finished your Helicopter, start up your own post with info and photos.

Now for the fun stuff, I will be donating prizes at the end of this campaign, just in time for Christmas. I will have full details at the start of the build so be sure to check back here.

Your model can be displayed by it’s self , on a base or diorama. Figures and vehicles can also be included with your build so as long the Helicopter stays the main focus. You may enter as many you wish, the more the merrier.

One last thing, I have submitted the order and rules in to the staff for it’s approval. It will take some time to set up, so once it’s up I’ll remind everyone, then you’ll be able to enlist.

All the best,
Thanks for joining,
Joe S.

Darson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 247 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 06:08 AM UTC
Joe I've got a few helos in the stash but for this build you can put me down for a Westland Wesex HAS.3 in the markings of Fleet Air Arm 737 NAS HMS Antrim.

The kit is the 1:72 Italeri boxing of the HAS.3 and I'm going to build it OOB. The actual bird I'm doing had an awesome service history during the Falklands War, but more of that in a future post.

Cheers
Darren
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 07:57 AM UTC
I've got a US HH-65A Dolphin in 1/48 made by Trumpeter in my stash. It's the only helo I have and I thought it would look great with it's bright orange paint next to all those camo WWII airplanes in my display case.
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 08:52 AM UTC
Would a V-22 Osprey count as a helicopter? I think that may be my next buy. Anyone here build the Italeri?

-Derek
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 09:21 AM UTC
Wow 3 great helicopters, looks like a great start. Lance yes you may enter the V-22 Osprey, it is considered and called a helicopter. Darren your entery is noted. Cuda I agree, those Coast Guard birds are colorful. I always wanted to build the 60 Jayhawk in 1/35th.

Joe
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 12:01 PM UTC
Hello all!

I am on but I have to kindly ask you if it is OK to continue with my HUP-1 Pedro, which is just about started. Just about, not more than that! (I intended to do it for the Suez campaign but never really got it off the ground...)

This is what it looks like today, I have sanded the fuselage halves, made a molding plug for the perspex canopy and installed one window:

If you think it is OK, I'll put it back in its little box and take it out for campaign start. If it is NOT OK, I'll find something else in the stash that is suitable!

Regards

Magnus
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 01:29 PM UTC
I have a 48 scale revell "huey Hog" and a 48 scale revell Apache both of which i feel i can build for this - is it ok to enter two models?

Andy
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 04:59 PM UTC
Hi all Heli-nuts!

Here comes one more aboard!

I haven´t decided yet wich helo I´ll build.

A Swedish Air Force HKP-4 in 1/48 (Academy KV-107-II), or a MiL-24E Hind in 1/35 (Trumpeter).

I already have one SH-3H Seaking (Hasegawa 1/48) , one OH-58 "Kiowa" (Academy 1/35) and two UH-60 Black Hawks (Dragon 1/144) on the bench.

As the Seaking and both Hawks is nearly done (all waiting for the paintshop) and the Kiowa just started, I assume those will not be accepted as Campaign builds?
:-?

Looking forward to a fun Campaign with many helos built!

Cheers!

stefan E
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 06:09 PM UTC
I am on as well!

I have not decided yet on a helicopter, but I will probably go for some Russian attack helicopters with their very distinctive and colourful camouflage.

Tempted by the Trumpeter Hind in 1/35, but it might be too big a project as I have a couple of other campaigns as well.
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 06:19 PM UTC
Count me in, don't know what with yet, but i'm in .
Andy
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 08:44 PM UTC
Great idea Joe. Count me in as well. I have a few helo builds planned, not sure which ones I will get to yet, but I will build at least one. Maybe I will get around to doing the 3-tone desert camo HH-60G out of Davis-Mothan AFB in OIF.

Now all we need is the Rotary Wing Forum stood up so we have a dedicated place to post all the great work that everyone will be doing for the campaign. Hint, hint...Rowan are you out there???

mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 09:51 AM UTC
Again this sounds like it’s really going to lift off, great entry’s.

Quoted Text

Magnus - it is OK to continue with my HUP-1 Pedro

Well I guess...maybe it'll be alright. I'm sure many of you may want to start building your Helicopters, it has been awhile for such a build.

Quoted Text

Andy - is it ok to enter two models

Oh most defiantly, you can enter as many you like. Sounds like a great start.

Stefan, the Kiowa looks like a super and promising entry.

Quoted Text

HeavyArty - Count me in as well

Wow Gino glad to see you join in with us, it’ll be my pleasure.

I’d like to thank you all for joining in with us, now if I can ask the each of you and the many others who read and sign on is to recruit another member to join you and us in this campaign.

Joe
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 01:42 PM UTC
Count me in.

Most probably with a Sea King.

Thanks for putting in the work for pushing this campaign ahead , Joe
Sluff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oulu, Finland
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 03:39 PM UTC
Hi all

It's been awhile since I last built Helicopters. It was back in 1986 or -87, so I thougt I might try participating this campaign just to build something a bit different after a dozens of ww2 aircraft. My choice of subject is Super Puma in the colors of Finnish Frontier guard:

The kit will be Italeri's 1/72, if I just can obtain it somewhere... As a backup plan (if I can't manage to get the Italeri kit) I'm thinking of Mi-8 of Finnish defence forces...

Darson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 247 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 04:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for putting in the work for pushing this campaign ahead , Joe

I'll second that, thanks Joe I'm sure it's going to be a great build. We've already got some great looking helos, I can't wait to see what others come up with.

Also Joe you mentioned that the kick-off date was March 1. Is this hard and fast or can we maybe move it forward a bit?

Cheers
Darren
ehlikeyf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 23 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 04:28 AM UTC
I'm in with rather classical kits. Either Italeri Apache or UH-1, both in 1/48 scale.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 10:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is the March 1st date hard and fast or can we maybe move it forward a bit

Well I guess there is no harm in it, let me ask this...what do the most of those who signed on think about moving the start date sooner.

Joe
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 03:06 PM UTC
The start date can be anytime, as long as the end date endsures a decent building window of at least 6 months. That is counting July and August as one month becasue of the holiday/travel period.

But whatever the decision, I am in. Even if I don't succeed finalising a chopper in time (on top of a few other things that i hope to finish soon) it will be fun participating.
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 07:00 PM UTC
I'm going to save the Heuy for the veitnam campaign, so my helo entry with be the revell Apache

Andy
Dirk-Danger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 252 posts
AeroScale: 162 posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 07:23 PM UTC
Andy,

Do me a favour - have a look at the Revell Apache box - where does it say the kit is made?

I was just wondering if its the Has kit in different clothes. There seems to be a large price difference in favour of the Revell one.....

I'm toying with doing one myself but if its the same kit I'll go for Revell's boxing.

Thanks,

Lee
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 08:14 PM UTC
I'll take a look as soon as i get home

Andy
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 01:20 AM UTC
Lee

The apache i have is kit No 04436 - made in the USA

Andy
Dirk-Danger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 252 posts
AeroScale: 162 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 01:51 AM UTC
Ah, so its a Monogram re-box.

Ok, thanks Andy.

If I do enter this Campaign I'll go with one I have in the shop - Hasegawa 'Operation Iraqi freedom'

Lee
wizard179
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 251 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 08:34 AM UTC
I would like to join this campaign but can I please get some assistance first.

I have some old Idea (Hasegawa?) 1/72 HH-60 family kits. The Blackhawk, Sea Hawk and the Night Hawk. I am not sure of the exact models the kits represent.

Can the Blackhawk and/or Sea Hawk be built as their Australian service equivalents? Is there much work, if any, required to convert them?

Thanks
Wiz
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 08:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would like to join this campaign but can I please get some assistance first.

I have some old Idea (Hasegawa?) 1/72 HH-60 family kits. The Blackhawk, Sea Hawk and the Night Hawk. I am not sure of the exact models the kits represent.

The Blackhawk is a US Army helicopter. If it has open exhausts, it is an A model w/o the HIRSS (Hover Infra-Red Suppression System); modern versions (since the late '80s) have HIRSS ducts over the exhuast outlets. The Seahawk is a US Navy helo. And the Nighthawk was a proposed USAF helo, but was not bought with the upswept wing configuration.

Quoted Text

Can the Blackhawk and/or Sea Hawk be built as their Australian service equivalents? Is there much work, if any, required to convert them?

The Blackhawk can pretty easily be converted to an Aussie S-70A-9. Check out this thread at FSM's Helo Forum for details of how to do it and where to get decals for it.

Good luck.
 _GOTOTOP