Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
"Down Low" - WW2 tank busting Official Thread
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 11:25 PM UTC
Can't even start to imagine the feeling of flying down at the deck, with machine guns spitting lead and firing your rockets. Seeing people running in every direction and AA and small arms fire coming back in your direction......*shiver*
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 11:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok Carlos. Well look out Jerry....... The Supreme Dream Team is taking to the air!

May I suggest this squadron on your behalf Carlos?

No. 164 Squadron of the Royal Air Force was a Figher Squadron during the Second World War

Around 600 Argentine volunteers, mostly of Anglo-Argentine descent, joined the British and Canadian Air Forces, mostly in the 164 Argentine-British RAF squadron.

After providing support for the landing forces from southern England, the squadron moved to France in July. During the Battle of Normandy, No.164 used its rockets against enemy armour in the battle area and after the breakout moved forward through northern France and Belgium in support of the 21st Army Group.

And here's one of their Typhoons.

Hi Jan:

Ok, flying with a companion will be great.

Let me see what can I do with the decals set that I have. I{ll answer you soon.

I know about the argentines volunteers in Sqn. 164, also there were some in the 175 Sqn and in other Sqns of th RAF, RCAF and in the Fleet Air Arm too.
Ther is a fantastic book that tells the story of the argentine volunters in the RAF. I do not know if it exits in English, the name is "Alas de Trueno" (Wings of Thunder). It has hundreds of fantastic photos and lot of info.
If you{re interested I can check if it exists in English.
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 11:36 PM UTC
That would be cool Carlos cheers..... I don't mind building Typhoons from another squadron if you want that mate. Any suggestions O' Enlighted One? I've seen two pictures from the 164 squadron.....that's all.
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 12:15 AM UTC
Hi Jan:

That pictures are fantastic. Are we flying and burnning out the Jerries ?
:-) :-)

I found the following decal sets in my stash:

FT P (RB222) Monogram set
HH N (EK 319) Hasegawa set
TP R (JR371) Hasegawa set
HH U (MN353) Argentine Warriors in the RAF - Condor Decals

The first and last ones need the new sliding canopie and my kit has the old one. I{ll check if I have something from Falcon canopies.

Cheers

Dirk-Danger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 252 posts
AeroScale: 162 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 12:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can't even start to imagine the feeling of flying down at the deck, with machine guns spitting lead and firing your rockets. Seeing people running in every direction and AA and small arms fire coming back in your direction......*shiver*

Rather be in a Jabo in any case - you can run away quicker :-)
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 12:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jan:

I

Yep Carlos, that's you and me earning our living the hard way..... Maybe Ulises wouldn't mind to be our mascot......maybe you should ask him?
Sluff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oulu, Finland
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 01:00 AM UTC
Hi

Is it still possible to join this campaingn? I just found an appropriate kit for this one: Hasegawa 1/48 Hurricane mk II d. Also, is it possible to have more than one entries? I found Eduard's 1/72 Stormovik from my stash...
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 01:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Jan:

I

Yep Carlos, that's you and me earning our living the hard way..... Maybe Ulises wouldn't mind to be our mascot......maybe you should ask him?

Hi Jan:

Ulises said YES !!! He want to come with us to beat the Jerries.
:-)

Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 01:31 AM UTC
Good! We have to give him his own flight equipment then. :-)
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 04:03 AM UTC
Carlos, Jan, You could always do 195 Sqn for your Typhoons.

This Sqn is quite close to mine and Camogirl's heart as our Air Cadet sqn adopted the 195 Crest, as we share the same Squadron number
Blackwulf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 215 posts
AeroScale: 120 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 04:06 AM UTC
Petri--its not too late mate and you can build as many as you want within the time frame! Welcome aboard.
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 04:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Carlos, Jan, You could always do 195 Sqn for your Typhoons.

This Sqn is quite close to mine and Camogirl's heart as our Air Cadet sqn adopted the 195 Crest, as we share the same Squadron number

Hi Allen:

I have no problem to build a Typhoon from any Sqn. The thing is that I´ve to find the decals, and here it isn´t easy. Apart from that it would be great if Jan could build a Typhoon from the same Sqn than me. Today I talked to a friend who have some decal sets, may be tomorrow I will have more options.

csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 06:02 AM UTC
Hi Jan:

Look at this, all from Ultracast.
Typhoon seats with Sutton Harness-
They look great. I´ll try to get a pair of them.

Typhoon drop tanks:

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 06:54 AM UTC
OK, I'm in.
I'll be building something German with really big cannons under the wings.
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 07:37 AM UTC
Even though I committed myself to the Aircobra, I found this pic of an La-7. Anybody know what the tubes are? There was no explanation where I found it. If it was for killing tanks, it may be a cool subject for someone.

-Derek

Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 07:42 AM UTC
I'm open to any suggestions Carlos.....I'm easy. :-) :-) :-) :-)

Sluff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oulu, Finland
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 10:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

its not too late mate and you can build as many as you want within the time frame!

Right then, I'll be starting with the Hurri, then if there's still time I will build the Sturmo. Thanks
Tigerbait
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 08:56 PM UTC
I think I have a Typhoon in the stash, so count me in. Looks like there'll be quite a few of them...
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 09:03 PM UTC
I've got a typhoon in the stash, but thats ear marked for a captured colour scheme, so i'll have to find something else - don't think the stash has anything that fits - any one want to suggest me a challenge of a kit to build? Preferably one with two engines!

Andy
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 09:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think I have a Typhoon in the stash, so count me in. Looks like there'll be quite a few of them...

Yeah, Looks like a very popular aircraft I have added you to the list of participants. What kit is it? Welcome on board

@Sluff: I have added you to the participants list with your Hurricane. You are welcome to join with more models as Patrick stated. Welcome to the show

@Lucky 13: cool pictures - both the more dramatic ones and the reference shoots.

@Carlos: good to have the support of Ulises Now the campaign has a mascot

@VonCuda: welcome on board. I am guessing you building a Stuka? Or have you found something else German with big cannons under the wings?

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 09:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've got a typhoon in the stash, but thats ear marked for a captured colour scheme, so i'll have to find something else - don't think the stash has anything that fits - any one want to suggest me a challenge of a kit to build? Preferably one with two engines!

Andy

You could go with fx. the Henschel 129 from Hasegawa? There are already two of those included in the campaign, but do not let that stop you
Otherwise an early version of the Bf. 110 with bombs underneath? Not the later versions that were used as bomber interceptors.

I think I have seen ground attack versions of Beaufighters with rockets being used in North Africa against tanks, but I am not entirely sure. Most were used against shipping and is therefore not tank busters. Maybe aomebody else has information on this?
Dirk-Danger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 252 posts
AeroScale: 162 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 09:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Andy

Your a bit restricted by the two engine's - other than Hs129, Mossy (with rockets) and perhaps some versions of the Me410 and Bf110 I cant think of anything (and the Ju88P).

I was going to do a Tiffy myself but there are too many of them now. I may just be boring and do a Ju87G-2 or possibly a Mossie

Of course, no one has chosen the Fw190 yet these could be fitted with anti-tank weapons.

Lee
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 09:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Even though I committed myself to the Aircobra, I found this pic of an La-7. Anybody know what the tubes are? There was no explanation where I found it. If it was for killing tanks, it may be a cool subject for someone.

-Derek

To me they look way to big to be weapons. If there is a rocket inside those babies I do not want to get hit
I am guessing some form of rocket busters or maybe jet engines used for testing. I am only guessing.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 09:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Of course, no one has chosen the Fw190 yet these could be fitted with anti-tank weapons.

Lee

Sure, they were used as tank killers. Both with rockets and with bombs. So knock yourself out
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 09:21 PM UTC
I've got a mossy or two in my stash - one of them if teed up to be from the banff strike wing, as was the othe, but i could change - does any one have references for a tank busting squadron equipped with mossies?

Andy