_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
"Down Low" - WW2 tank busting Official Thread
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 07:13 PM UTC
Hi everybody

This is the official tread for the Down low - WWII tank busting campaign.

I was planning to wait with starting the official tread until the campaigns were up and running. However, since we do not really know how long that will take, I thought I might go ahead anyway and start them up with the details of the campaign in the first post.

Let me know if you are ready for some tank busting down low and personal

I will be running this campaign with some help from Patrick (Blackwulf). Here are the general rules of the campaign:

Operational Overview
WWII was the conflict where the tank really came of age and was incorporated in huge numbers in armies as a true weapon system in its own. No longer was the tank only supporting infantry and providing cover through no mans land. In WWII the tank was used to break the front and rip through the enemy’s weak rear areas.
To counter this threat many countries developed dedicated aircraft to seek out and destroy enemy armoured vehicles on the ground. This was usually done by using cannons and/or bombs in low level attacks.

Rules and Regulations
This campaign is supposed to concern WWII aircraft used in the Tank bursting role. The aircraft could be from any of WWII battlefields and from any country participating in WWII.
A tank busting aircraft is defined as an aircraft that could be used to take out enemy tanks on the battlefield in low level attacks. This means that the aircraft should be designed or adopted for low level battlefield attacks armed with either large calibre guns and/or cannons and/or bombs/rockets. The weapons for destroying tanks should be visible on the aircraft. A FW 190 fighter bomber without a bomb does not qualify.

Here are some examples of planes that would fit into this campaign:
Stuka armed with bombs or 37mm cannons
Henschel 129 armed with 30mm cannon or bombs
Hawker Tempest with missiles or bombs
P-47 Thunderbolt armed with bombs or 115mm rockets
Il-2 Sturmovic armed with bombs/missiles
FW-190 fighter bomber armed with bomb
JU-88 P-1 armed with the 75mm PaK 40
ME 262 armed with bombs

There are many more airplanes that qualify than the above examples. If you have any doubts, just ask.

Examples of planes that cannot be included into the tank busting campaign:
Lancaster, B-17 etc. as these planes were not intended as low level attack aircraft for destroying individual tanks.
Spitfire, ME 109, FW 190 etc. as long as these fighters do not include the weapons capable of destroying tanks i.e. heavy cannons or bomb/rockets.

Dioramas and figures are welcome. All scales are fine.

Contest Element
A ribbon will be given for all entries completed before the end of the deadline.

Dirk-Danger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 252 posts
AeroScale: 162 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 07:37 PM UTC
Whooaaa sign me up!!!!!!

Christ there's so many too choose from........

Typhoon, no wait....Il-2.....Hang on......Ju87G-2....or the P-47D. Ow heck somebody help me out here...... :-) :-) :-)

Lee
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 08:32 PM UTC
Sign me up too! What is the start and end time for this campaign?

-Derek
klimmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 250 posts
AeroScale: 207 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 08:35 PM UTC
Count me in as well.

There are way too many choice for this one, but it will sure be fun !!!!!!!!!!!

Ted
Dirk-Danger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 08:49 PM UTC
Hey if nobody can decide what too build perhaps we could have partners and they choose each others kit :-) :-) :-) :-)

Or a big list of types and have a 'lottery'

Lee
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 09:08 PM UTC
Count me in too, I´ll find something in my stash that will fit the rules
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 09:28 PM UTC
I want to play too fellas!
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 09:33 PM UTC
I'm in.
As soon as I knew this campaign was definitely going to happen, I ordered Tamiya's 1/48 P-47D Thunderbolt. I have been itching to get going on this kit .
Andy
Blackwulf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 215 posts
AeroScale: 120 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 11:16 PM UTC
I do believe the campaign started on January 1st and was supposed to run until June 30th. We may extend the build time since the campaign has been slow in taking off. Jesper will take care of this once the official campaign has been posted and people can sign up. But, this is a good way to unofficially get people signed up with their aircraft of choice.
It would be nice if you guys could pinpont what planes you want to build so that we can all get an idea of aircraft being considered.

I was wondering if an ME-110 or ME-410 could be considered in this build. I know they were originally started out as fighters. I think the 410 was never used for tank busting??( I could be wrong). I read several articles online and could not find where ME-110's were used for tank busting. There was plenty of talk about bombing structures and other defensive strongholds but I could not find a word about tank busting. If someone could let me know I would appreciate it. Thanks to whoever can give me some info on this!

Dont forget the Airacobras, Yak-9T's , Hurricane Mark II and several other allied planes also!!

Jesper is the main man on this campaign--I will be here to support him and help with questions as needed. All final answers to questions will be determined by Jesper but I will try to help as much as possible.
Dirk-Danger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 11:44 PM UTC
Patrick,

ZG26 fitted a 30mm cannon under one of their aircraft in Africa - it apparently saw action at Alemein.

Possibly the 110G-2/R1(R2) causes confusion with its 37mm cannon as people tend to think that 'big gun = anti-tank' but this was the Flak 18 and designed to destroy bombers.

Lee
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 12:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I do believe the campaign started on January 1st and was supposed to run until June 30th. We may extend the build time since the campaign has been slow in taking off.

Yeah, we will surely be flexible with the timing at the end of the campaign as it seems there are still problems with the posting of the campaign.

Quoted Text

I was wondering if an ME-110 or ME-410 could be considered in this build. I know they were originally started out as fighters. I think the 410 was never used for tank busting??( I could be wrong). I read several articles online and could not find where ME-110's were used for tank busting. If someone could let me know I would appreciate it. Thanks to whoever can give me some info on this!

Well, both aircraft were used down low and as long as they had bombs and/or guns capable of knocking out tanks they will qualify. An entry does not need to be based on a specific story to qualify. I know both the ME 110 and ME 410 made low level bombing and that is enough to qualify. Just remeber that the weapons need to be on the model. So no ME 110s or Thunderbolts without bombs

I have actually just ordered Kageros book on the ME 410, so I will post a short resume in this tread if I find something interesting. I bought the Eduard profipack ME 410. It should have been the schnell bomber with bombs, but I think I got an zerstörer version for attacking four engine bombers instead.
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 12:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I do believe the campaign started on January 1st and was supposed to run until June 30th. We may extend the build time since the campaign has been slow in taking off. Jesper will take care of this once the official campaign has been posted and people can sign up. But, this is a good way to unofficially get people signed up with their aircraft of choice.
It would be nice if you guys could pinpont what planes you want to build so that we can all get an idea of aircraft being considered.

I was wondering if an ME-110 or ME-410 could be considered in this build. I know they were originally started out as fighters. I think the 410 was never used for tank busting??( I could be wrong). I read several articles online and could not find where ME-110's were used for tank busting. There was plenty of talk about bombing structures and other defensive strongholds but I could not find a word about tank busting. If someone could let me know I would appreciate it. Thanks to whoever can give me some info on this!

Dont forget the Airacobras, Yak-9T's , Hurricane Mark II and several other allied planes also!!

Jesper is the main man on this campaign--I will be here to support him and help with questions as needed. All final answers to questions will be determined by Jesper but I will try to help as much as possible.

Here you go matey, a Me 410 with a 50 mm canon.....

Me 410 Hornisse: 50-mm
The German Me 410 Hornisse (Hornet) was developed as a fighter bomber replacement for the Bf-110 and Me 210. The Me 410A-1/U4 was a dedicated bomber destroyer version with all of the nose armaments removed in favor of a single 50-mm BK 5 cannon taking up part of the bomb bay. The gun was based on the PAK 38 anti-tank gun used by the German Army. Fed by a 21 round cylindrical magazine, the cannon was aimed using a ZFR 4a telescopic sight located in the nose just above the gun itself. The BK 5 cannon weighed 1,190 lb (540 kg) and could fire up to 50 rounds per minute.

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 12:33 AM UTC
Im IN!!!
Got my Tamiya P47 Razorback in 1:72 bursting to get out of the box for this!
Nige
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 12:40 AM UTC

Again, I'm in for my first campaign and I will teach you all valuable lessons! The sons of Mother Russia will unleash her displeasure against the fascists and capitalist pig-dogs with this:

-Derek
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 12:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Again, I'm in for my first campaign and I will teach you all valuable lessons! The sons of Mother Russia will unleash her displeasure against the fascists and capitalist pig-dogs with this:

-Derek

Great! welcome on board!

Nice choice Will there be bombs on the plane(s) or will you just crush the fascist vipers with the 37mm cannon?
Dirk-Danger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 12:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I bought the Eduard profipack ME 410. It should have been the schnell bomber with bombs, but I think I got an zerstörer version for attacking four engine bombers instead.

If they sent you the wrong one, you got a bargain! In the UK, the Schnell-bomber retails for about £12 whilst the zerstorer is about £30!!!

I also have the Schnell bomber on order.......here's hoping.

Lee
Dirk-Danger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 12:53 AM UTC
Jan,

You did notice in the text of the little ditty you posted that the A-2/U-4 version was designed for shooting down bombers.......

Nice pic by the way (top one). I've been looking for a conversion kit for this aircraft for a while along with the Bf110G-2/R-1 (CMK make those). No luck on the A-2/U-4 though......

Lee
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 01:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jan,

You did notice in the text of the little ditty you posted that the A-2/U-4 version was designed for shooting down bombers.......

Nice pic by the way (top one). I've been looking for a conversion kit for this aircraft for a while along with the Bf110G-2/R-1 (CMK make those). No luck on the A-2/U-4 though......

Lee

Doooh!
I bet that you could use this lassie as a tankbuster anyway....*grins*
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 01:44 AM UTC
I will build a Hawker Typhoon Ib - Hasegawa 1/48 - it will have boms in the underwing racks.
Here is the boxart:
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 02:24 AM UTC
I'll Probably be in with a Tamiya 1/48 P-47 Thunderbolt (as i've got 3 in the stash to build) asuming i can find some time inbetween the Tomcat Campaign i'm running and the Vietnam campaign i'm hoping to participate in
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 02:39 AM UTC
Nihahah!! One of my favorite subjects:] I love things go close, eye to eye and ghit the enmy with mauling firepower. Ok, I have a AMT 1/48 Hs 129B with BIG GUN!!:] That is PAK 40 if anyone wonders (probably named BK 7,5 in LW, I don't know actually). Can I play too can I play too please please......
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 02:40 AM UTC
@Carlos: Nice choice with the Typhoon. I can see some German tanks in Normandy having a bad day when one of those came swooping down

Quoted Text

I'll Probably be in with a Tamiya 1/48 P-47 Thunderbolt (as i've got 3 in the stash to build) asuming i can find some time inbetween the Tomcat Campaign i'm running and the Vietnam campaign i'm hoping to participate in

I know what you mean, I will do both the Vietnam and tank busting campaign of course and hope to participate in the helikopter campaign as well.
If I can track down a kit and some decals of an Iranian Tomcat I might join that one as well. However, so far I have not succeeded
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 02:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I bought the Eduard profipack ME 410. It should have been the schnell bomber with bombs, but I think I got an zerstörer version for attacking four engine bombers instead.

If they sent you the wrong one, you got a bargain! In the UK, the Schnell-bomber retails for about £12 whilst the zerstorer is about £30!!!

I also have the Schnell bomber on order.......here's hoping.

Lee

I just payed £11 so I guess I made a good deal.

Still, it was a strange deal. There were two identical masking sheets and four vacformed canopies, an instruction sheet for the schnell bomber and a bag of resin parts for what looks like the zerstörer. There is an extra gunbay for the belly of the aircraft and some AA rockets for the wings. Also some PE parts.

I will know more when I get my ME 410 book from Kagero.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 02:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nihahah!! One of my favorite subjects:] I love things go close, eye to eye and ghit the enmy with mauling firepower. Ok, I have a AMT 1/48 Hs 129B with BIG GUN!!:] That is PAK 40 if anyone wonders (probably named BK 7,5 in LW, I don't know actually). Can I play too can I play too please please......

Sure, that is a real tank killer pr. excelence As I have read in "HS 129 in Action" by Squadron/Signal only around 26 aircraft were produced of this version. Almost no pictures remain of them in service, but I have a few colour profiles if you lack some info/information.

I am building the Hs 129 B2 with the short 30mm cannon. However, it could still knock tanks with ease, especially from the sides or the rear.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 03:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know what you mean, I will do both the Vietnam and tank busting campaign of course and hope to participate in the helikopter campaign as well.
If I can track down a kit and some decals of an Iranian Tomcat I might join that one as well. However, so far I have not succeeded

The Fujimi 1/72 Kit of the F-14A "SU-22 Killer" Kit no 28001 (or I-1) comes with 3 decal options one of them being the Imperial Iranian Air Force. Also Fujimi F-14A "Ali-cat" (28005) comes with Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force decals. It's a lovely kit to build but fujimi is difficult to get hold of in the UK now. Heres a pic of the Airfix kit with the said decals on it to "wet your whistle"
 _GOTOTOP