Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Sea Plane Campaign
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 595 posts
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 - 10:37 AM UTC
The Wally is one of my all time favorites Rowan! I think JPs ribbon is a winner also! Ive got the Classic Airframes kit in my stash, but that engine/ strut combo looks really daunting!
Tomorrow morning Ill be at a major model contest here in Canada..so yeah Ill be watching for dealie-ohs on seaplanes fer sher....
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 - 01:37 PM UTC
Hello All,
I think that John-Paul has the winning design for the ribbon contest, So what should be his prize? I need to look in my stash or online stores for his prize.
I will send a heads up to CRS for a new thread and to make sure the gallery has been opened.
If any of you want to do a photo of your model spruces with a newspaper for the start of the campaign, That is fine with me. It is not a requirement for the campaign so no penalty for not doing it.
About changing the start date....... How about 6 months to 1 year from now. The new date will be Nov.1 2010 for this campaign.

Just kidding, I want the campaign to start Nov.1,2009 as agreed on. I have tried to get my docs to let me have my laptop in my room, But he would not agree to it. I might be able to sneak a use off of the nurses computer. I will just have to distract them. Maybe the fire alarm, Hmm.....
Good luck with your show, Jim. I know you should get first prize for your build.
cheers,
Bruce
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 10:26 AM UTC
Was just upstairs checking my sprues over ....planning my approach for next week.
Ajax was pretty good...my Mavis took first(I know ..I gotta finish my build log guys ...im sorry!)
My Se5a took Bronze ...
The only aircraft Kit I bought was the 1:32 Hasegawa George ....I couldnt pass it up !

Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 11:51 AM UTC
congrats on the win.Big acomplishment
Cant wait to see your build.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 08:17 PM UTC
Hi all

JP: very nice ribbon ... wish we had something like that fr the Fw 190 campaign

@Rowan
Quoted Text

..., but I really ought to do a Walrus - they used to build them here at the Saunders-Roe factory where I worked to earn the money to go to college.

So you build the Walrussels to earn money for college ... I did not think you were that old

@all: I have notice that overly strict and often hostile behavior in other branches of kitmaker (also by staff members). Until now (with occational disturbance) Aeroscale had a rather familiar atmosphere .. that's what I like here a lot.

Please do not take over all that sh** from the other branches. I am o.k. that you are rather picky when there is to gain something (e.g. MoM) but IMO we do not need to photograph our models like kidnappers. Also I find it sometimes refreshing to use a campaign to finished a started project I got stuck with. This is about fun and about modelling, not competition and not bully attitude. Just my 2 ct.

all the best

Steffen
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 10:50 PM UTC
Did we say something upsetting in this thread Steffan?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 11:10 PM UTC
Hi Jim

No not yet. ... but forcing participants to photograph their models with a newspaper when they start and simliar things mentioned in this thread give me some very bad feelings and I fear we stear towards to a "regime of terror and pain".

Furthermore I try to keep an eye on the other branches too and there are several threads where the tone is really .. well, I just do not like it that way. Of course in a campaign the leader has the responsiblities and he makes the rules -period - but I do not see why we need to employ "methods" that are not (yet?) necessary here.

To give an example I have a Loire 130 in the stack that is started and I played with the idea to enter it here. Of course I would have asked the campaign leader (in public) if that is o.k. to him. I would post a picture of the state and then it would be up to him to give a go or no-go. I expect others to also comment on this so I (and the Chief) would get an idea if it is accepted or not.

I am not sure I could make my point clear. I am no native speaker and sometimes I just lack the ability to precisely express my thoughts (don't always succeed in German either).

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 11:20 PM UTC
Hi Steffen

No, I never saw a "Walrussel" while I was there ; in my day the factory was used for helicopter and hovercraft manufacture and servicing. We had one great incident when a cross-Channel SRN.4 came in for a major overhaul. Two of the workers used to clock on and off every day, but then nobody ever saw them all day long... Eventually they were discoved down in one of the watertight compartments - they'd smuggled in arm-chairs and crates of beer and just sat there everyday getting quietly sozzled 'till it was time to stagger home!

Like Jim, I think I must have missed whatever's worried you. It looks like everyone's in geat spirits and all set to really enjoy the campaign.

All the best

Rowan
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 11:27 PM UTC
I am ready to get this build going EXCITEMENT sorry I cant contain myself.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 11:36 PM UTC
Hi Rowan

then maybe Walrüssel?

As for my statements. I read this whole thread page and I browsed through the first LP page of Kitmaker this morning, Maybe that impression together with some ideas (not even whole posts) I found in this thread made up a picture about this is stearing into full controlled dictatorship (think 1984) . I am a fan of individuals treated individual as well as I am German who like to have a rules regulated environment that everyone sticks to (or at least tries to do -- see headline issue) ... it must be balanced .. ying-yang or whatever picture you prefer.

As you both look at me as if I am mad, I am probably wrong .. so do not worry

all the best

Steffen
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 11:37 PM UTC
I think it's about photoing our models like kidnappers lol

I think this Sunderland is holding me hostage rather than the other way round.

@Steffen I don't think Jim said you had to make a photo with todays date just that it was cool.

I agree in the statement that Aeroscale is much friendlier than most other forums.
You just need look at some of the flamewars over on Armorama. These don't
happen here to the same extent.
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 08:30 AM UTC
I feel that negative ,or overly sensitive people can be found on all of the networks sites(in my humble experience).. I have recieved comments that could be considered rude on every site, then had very pleasant conversations later with the same person. I feel that it is easy to misinterpret typed messages, where body language and eye contact and voice inflection is lacking, and conversely It can be difficult to relay the appropriate sentiment in a post. I did not intend to suggest we adopt a "totalitarian thread"..I JUST thought it might be kinda neat...thats all..If I have inadvertantly offended anyone ..please accept my humblest of apologies..
Can someone explain to me what is meant by "kidnapper"?...I work with children at our church's sunday school and find this distressing..
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 08:50 AM UTC
Hi Jim

Don't worry. I think everyone's just being a little over-sensitive about what was an innocent misunderstanding all 'round. As JP says, we don't do flamewars on Aeroscale - but we do have the best group-hugs!

Now, roll on the start of the campaign!

All the best

Rowan
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 09:02 AM UTC
I think the best thing about having a photo with a newspaper on the start date of the campaign would be seeing what's happening around the world in a very different context, so maybe everybody could pick an article from their local paper that holds some interest. With the diversity of locations and modelers here it might be a good read !!

And to me that's one of the real highlights of this site.

Just a thought, cheers all, Damian.
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 09:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think the best thing about having a photo with a newspaper on the start date of the campaign would be seeing what's happening around the world in a very different context, so maybe everybody could pick an article from their local paper that holds some interest. With the diversity of locations and modelers here it might be a good read !!

And to me that's one of the real highlights of this site.

That was exactly what I was getting at Damian..thank you for clarifying the issue. One post I saw had a British newspaper heading that was obviously important in Britian..But in Canada we heard nothing. I like the fact that we all come together from ALL over the world, and politic or language doesnt matter ...its all about modelling and sharing..thats how I feel
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 09:51 AM UTC
Hi Jim et al

Tell you what - when I start my build, I'll do you a page from the Isle of Wight County Press. You don't get much more British and provincial than that! Careful, though... it's racy stuff - who won 1st prize at the giant vegetable contest!

All the best

Rowan
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 10:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

who won 1st prize at the giant vegetable contest!

Rowan, ... you can't leave us hanging like this. Who was it??!!

Cheers,
Mike

JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 10:24 AM UTC
Sounds GREAT Rowan! ..I just looked at our newspaper here ..(were just a wee village)..and the village down the road just opened a new firehall, apparently front page news is that the firefighters werent invited to the opening party ..just the politicians ,,,,so the firefighters are mad!..lol
BTW who won the vegetable contest?...a fella down the highway has the world record for the biggest Squash!
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 10:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

who won 1st prize at the giant vegetable contest!

Rowan, ... you can't leave us hanging like this. Who was it??!!

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike

Well, I don't like to brag, but...

If anyone would like a taste of Island life, it's all in the County Press's website - I'll do a frontpage special when I start my Signifer Widgeon.

All the best

Rowan
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 11:02 AM UTC
A totalitarian dictator kidnapped my airplane and therefor I can take no pictures of it.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. My Goose is screaming at me from inside the box wanting to be built. I have already taken pics of all the sprues and am in the process of writing a review for it so...............I'm ready to begin!

Hermon
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 11:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jim

No not yet. ... but forcing participants to photograph their models with a newspaper when they start and simliar things mentioned in this thread give me some very bad feelings and I fear we stear towards to a "regime of terror and pain".

Furthermore I try to keep an eye on the other branches too and there are several threads where the tone is really .. well, I just do not like it that way. Of course in a campaign the leader has the responsiblities and he makes the rules -period - but I do not see why we need to employ "methods" that are not (yet?) necessary here.

To give an example I have a Loire 130 in the stack that is started and I played with the idea to enter it here. Of course I would have asked the campaign leader (in public) if that is o.k. to him. I would post a picture of the state and then it would be up to him to give a go or no-go. I expect others to also comment on this so I (and the Chief) would get an idea if it is accepted or not.

I am not sure I could make my point clear. I am no native speaker and sometimes I just lack the ability to precisely express my thoughts (don't always succeed in German either).

all the best

Steffen

Hello Steffen,
What Jim was saying about the newspaper/photo was used over at MSW for a Community Build. That was set up by the Big Boss over at MSW, So no new resin/scratch build parts just showed up during the year long build. There were also prizes involved for the best 6 builds. I do not know why they did it, But I can respect it.

No where in the rules state that you must have a photo/newspaper date with your kit on it, If you want to do it go ahead and do it, If not don't do it. No problems either way to me.

If you have a kit that it you want to use, Please PM me and I will send you my E-Mail for any photos so it will be private. That way it will not be a public discussion on your build either approved or disapproved. I will keep it totally private between us.

If you have any concerns about this campaign or the way it is being discussed, Please PM me your concerns. My Door(?) is always open to anyone for anything for any reason at any hour.
I hope I put your concerns to rest.
Cheers,
Bruce
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 12:22 PM UTC
Wow people get upset over model building........No.........
I just want to start ,as for the other stuff i think its cool that all of us are from different
countrys and of course thier are going to be differences but really?
where all going to be building with each other at the same time i mean that
is BIG.................. ..............sorry im tearing up.joke really i look forward to putting
my work up with some of the others and i will be honored to have it there.As for
the other issues anything else to add more fun does not bother me in the least.
I also needed to know if everyone had axcess to the banner or if i needed to send it some
where?

Build On,
Justin
Aurora-7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
AeroScale: 125 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 04:04 AM UTC
I'm looking forward to this. For my build, I'm going to use and old Tamiya kit of their 1/50 FM-1 'Pete'. I've been part of campaigns before but had never made it to the completion date so I'm going with a nice little build that I know I can finish within 10 months.

Justin, I hope you don't mind if I use your banner.

JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 06:55 AM UTC
Id like to use your banner too Justin ..I just dont know how ...
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 09:28 AM UTC
Being a newbie on aeroscale I have just spotted this campaign and would love to join in. I have an old Matchbox 1/32 Tiger Moth that can be built with floats. The box and transfers look as if they have been in the sea for a few years although the plastic looks fine in three different colours!
tim

tiger moth