Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
FW 190 Campaign. It will really be cool!
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 12:44 PM UTC

Thanks for the advice Taylor. I read a review of this kit on Kit Review Index last night and the same thing was mentioned. Now, if only I had a few thousand extra pieces of that teeny weeny PE to practice with..........

Hermon
Desmoquattro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 235 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 02:03 PM UTC
I'm in. I'm working on an Accurate Miniatures 1/48 A8 (Priller '44) at the moment, I should be finished sometime in January (if all goes well).
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 03:20 AM UTC

..if you're doing Priller's machine then one detail that no-one gets right (because the pictures haven't been published ) - the spinner was white with a very thin black spiral.. (not as illustrated on the box)
Desmoquattro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2008 - 08:08 AM UTC
I just finished the Accurate Miniatures Priller plane.

Wish I had known about the spinner beforehand. Bugger.

The kit is okay, I had some minor fit issues around the engine/cowling, but keep in mind I have a lot of extra wiring and plumbing crammed into there. There were some large gaps too, some of which are still slightly visible. Detail is acceptable but not cutting edge, the engine is not passable, and some of the details are soft. To add extra detail under the open hatches I just went nuts with solder, copper wire and sheet brass. The ammo belts are 1/35th scale Dragon items, they work well for large caliber belts in quarter scale.

I postshaded the panels with heavily thinned indian ink (!), which is water soluble and very easy to spray through an airbrush. I just kept a q-tip and some water handy and any time I wasn't satisfied I just rubbed it off and kept going. This was followed by an overall wash of black followed by raw umber (doubling as a filter). Stains/streaks are oil paint, exhaust and gun staining is a mixture of brown and black chalk pastel. Paint chips were applied using bright silver paint dabbed on with a Scotchbrite pad, toned down afterwards with raw umber wash and/or flat coat. Metallic effects are graphite powder.

For some little details, I cut out the moulded-on marker lights and replaced them with teeny blobs of clear sprue, painted on the inside face using clear red and clear yellow (so they appear clear from above, and coloured from the side). The resistors on the antenna are blobs of white glue. The pilot harness is entirely scratchbuilt from lead foil and electrical wire bent to make the buckles and clasps.

If you look closely, you'll notice the right wing is deformed at the tip - that's from leaving it under a halogen lamp (aaaaagh). I plan on making a folded tarp to cover that up, heh.

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 12:49 PM UTC
That is a beautiful build. I hope you do know this campaign doesn't start until January 1st.
Desmoquattro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 04:33 PM UTC
I know, I finished early I actually wasn't expecting to be done until then, but I had a building spurt.

PS it's not the left wing that's buggered, it's the right.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 05:44 PM UTC
Nice looking 190. Not sure if it is my eyes or the pics, but your aelerons look off. They both look in the down position. One should be down and the other up. I'll be signing on for the campaign too. Just need to pick one of about a dozen or so variants I have sitting on the shelf to model! "Q"
Lakota
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 02:53 PM UTC
Howdy Y'all,
That's a great looking model, I'm going to use it as a guide as I'm painting and weathering mine. I've got my Tamiya A8/A8R2 kit, some resin, and decals. I bought the paint this weekend at my LHS in Albuquerque. Then I discovered I left the decals at the shop, so I can't tell you which bird I'm building. My LHS is 220 miles away.

Does anyone know the difference between the A7 and the A8? Can the Tamiya kit be used to build an A7 very easily?

Thanks-Lakota
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 04:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy Y'all,
That's a great looking model, I'm going to use it as a guide as I'm painting and weathering mine. I've got my Tamiya A8/A8R2 kit, some resin, and decals. I bought the paint this weekend at my LHS in Albuquerque. Then I discovered I left the decals at the shop, so I can't tell you which bird I'm building. My LHS is 220 miles away.

Does anyone know the difference between the A7 and the A8? Can the Tamiya kit be used to build an A7 very easily?

Thanks-Lakota

I believe the short answer is the conversion to an A-7 from an A-8 kit is fairly simple.

the longer answer is there will be some minor differences in access panels, the A-7 should never have the bulged canopy, while some A-8s did, and the same with the paddle bladed wooden prop. Something to look into is the vents on the side just aft of the exhaust, which might be different, but i'm not at all sure about that.

Other differences are internal - different engine, more internal armor, repositioned fuel tanks, etc...
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 08:34 AM UTC
The good thing about those late war A-8, A-8/R2 models is the myriad of paint schemes and the hodge-podge way they took bits and pieces that didn't match up to put together aircraft. Just about anything goes on those late war schemes. Unfortunately, you will need to know what decals you will be using to match the scheme up to it. Maybe they can mail them to you.

I will be building Eduard's A-8/R2 in Werner Gerth's Black 13 scheme. 13 being my old Basketball number. The kit is very much all inclusive, but since the Butcherbird is one of my all time favorites, I will be doing an all out build. So I have the Eduard Placard and A-8 PE sets in addition to the PE included in the kit. I als picked up a set of turned brass gun barrels and pitot tubes. This will be my most ambitious build ever.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 09:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One month to go, and I've decided to drag a friend in here. I'm building Arnim Fabers 190 that he mislanded in UK.

And I'm slowly but surely convinging by buddy to make the same craft after RAF repainted it.

The RAF-version here doesn't really look right. The square seems to represent en overpainted balkenkreuz, but that should only have been the case if the plane had still been in luftwaffe-camo. I guess we have to rely on the few photos we've found, paint it in Thyphoon-like green-grey, and leave some german grey around the cocks head.

If anyone knows more about this, just throw it out here and I'll be grateful.

I have some colour footage of this 190. I will take a couple of screen shots if I can figure out how to do it
Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 10:05 AM UTC
Here you go.
In some of the footage the captured 109 is next to the 190 and its obvious the 190 isnt painted in RAF grey/green. Undersides are yellow, no cockerel on the cowling.
Looks a bit different to the profile drawing doesn't it?

Nige
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 07:22 PM UTC
Well well, waddaya know. That was a complete different aircraft . Thanks a lot for that Nigel. We've been thinking about yellow belly, so it feels good to have something to support that with.

This would look beautiful next to a redbellied D-9 from the parrot-team, don't you think.
LinkinPark
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 63 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2008 - 05:26 PM UTC
Hi everyone. I'm new and just joined this campaign. I don't have a lot of modeling experience but I'm looking forward to getting started on this project. I have a Tamiya 1/72 scale Fw190 D9 that I'll be doing OOB. Can't wait to get started and get my ribbon!
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2008 - 11:00 PM UTC
Welcome Hunter. You're in the right spot here. Lot's of tips and tricks to learn, and a huge crowd of people anxious to help. Just ask, and you'll get answers.

Good luck.
Removed by original poster on 12/29/08 - 20:10:33 (GMT).
LinkinPark
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 63 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 07:38 AM UTC
Thank you
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 09:36 PM UTC
I just finished one A8/R2 for the Aces high campaign, but as Its one of my fav planes, I test if Eduards weekend A3 can really be done in a weekend - even by a brush modeller.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 02:33 AM UTC
It's almost time to start building ! I have my kit , check . Paints , check . ref's , check . Anti-stress pills , check !
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 02:55 AM UTC
Noooo. It's not almost time to start building. It's more than two weeks and I got the itch so bad.

Anyway, I've decided that this goes first and the Thunderbolt afterwards. But then I'll have to look through all the other campaigns because I don't remember exactly which ones I've joined so far this year... Any pills left Terri, and you'll know where to e-mail them.

I think this will be a great year, my fellows. I hope much for this one, and also the Thunderbolt campaign, so hopefully they will be as great as Aces High was this year.

Glue true.
Tony
Spiff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 807 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 05:06 AM UTC
I'd love to do either my 1/32 Hasegawa FW190A-8 or FW190D-9 for this campaign.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can't wait to get started and get my ribbon!

Speaking of which... it is now posted on the campaign page. It does seem to look a little small. But maybe my eyes are just a little, uh, off.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 11:13 AM UTC
Hi Carl

as proposed earlier in this thread, I would like something like this:

of course it is just a sketch (I did in the past few minutes after reading your post) ... I know others can do such things much better than me.

cheers

Steffen

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 11:31 AM UTC
I believe this is the Arnim Fabers 190 , again taken from 56th FG archive photos.
Note the cockerel on the starboard cowling and the "P" marking on the fusalage.

Nige
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 02:54 AM UTC
Steffen , the ribbon is excellent . I really like it !