Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
1/32 Roden GB 2008 SE5a - Steve
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 06:36 AM UTC
I´m waiting for the finalk paintjob over here. For Pc10 I use Humbrul olive drab and lite ochre. A little splash off brick red, iff you you add more brick red and black you will be close to mine. Tha last pics from Stephen locks good in my eyes.
Good luck
my friend

Larsa
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 478 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 07:05 AM UTC
Thanks Larsa

As you can see, I'm stalling on my rigging.............anything to keep from messing with "string".

Regards
Steve
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 11:31 AM UTC
"Final paint"???? your waiting for Final paint there Larsa............ Good luck on the "Final" paint. That might be a while. Here, have a and one "still on the way to final" photo. I can see I have to keep busy for Larsa. Might have a instead.

I was REALLY impressed with the Mister Kit "RFC doped linen" acrylic paint. Mike Taylor, if your listening........GREAT STUFF. I forgot to put a "touch" of windex into my mix............but didn't need to, flowed like a champ. That is the first coat. The final coat much later should be a dusting..........or thick depending on how much damage has taken place between now and then.

There WILL be another coat, as I need to tone down the "tape" some. I'm happy with the shadows that the pre-shading gives.

I've got a few things to do to the fuselage before I put a coat of paint on it, so that might be after Christmas day.

Regards
Steve
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 11:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Let me trod very carefully on the PC10 issue. I have added a link to a very emotional PC10 discussion.

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/camouflage-markings/38964-some-british-color-chips.html

I have just read that discussion, and have one question. Does it really matter that much?
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 12:30 PM UTC
Hey Steve,

If the photos look anything like real life, I would be very happy with that underside Paint job as it is.

But in my experience, Photos never show the full extent of an effect.

Cheers,

Hugh
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 02:14 PM UTC

Looks awesome, Steve! Excellent work!

Mark
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 10:01 PM UTC
Thanks for the look-see and comments.

Airgunner...............does it matter? Not at all as long as the builder is happy with it. I'd "Like" to be fairly accurate, but in the final analysis what matters is "am I happy". My confusion comes from "early vs late", maybe mis-marked bottles of paint, no color photos from those days, etc, etc..............I "think" PC10 (late war) is a chocolate brown............and thats what I'm going with. More on that to follow.

Hugh, I worked on those pics in photoshop to get a fair representation of what it really looks like. Yes, I'm fairly happy with it. The paint laid down really well and was VERY happy with that. I used a very low air pressure...........maybe that helped.

Now to play with the PC10...........

Regards
Steve
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 10:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the look-see and comments.

Airgunner...............does it matter? Not at all as long as the builder is happy with it. I'd "Like" to be fairly accurate, but in the final analysis what matters is "am I happy". My confusion comes from "early vs late", maybe mis-marked bottles of paint, no color photos from those days, etc, etc..............I "think" PC10 (late war) is a chocolate brown............and thats what I'm going with. More on that to follow.

Sorry, first thing I should have done was compliment you on the standard of your workmanship. Where my primary interest is WWII, I often come on here for inspiration, because the quality of the builds here are always outstanding and yours is no exception.

On to the point in hand. How some people can get so emotional to the point of open hostility over something than can really only be at best speculation is beyond me. The samples they quote, recipes etc. are going to be at least 90 years old. Whilst pigments don't change, methods and environments for mixing do. To say something is definitive from a 90 year fabric sample, whos storage conditions over the years would be less than scientific defies logic. Each to their own I say. There are no experts, because no-one can be sure, especially over that period of time. Modelling is supposed to be a hobby, something to enjoy. I always use the mantra if I like it and it looks right, it IS right.

None of this detracts from the quality of your build, and I must say the way you have presented it. My only regret is it will be finished soon nad I will have to find something else to marvel at.

Best wishes to one and all for Christmas, and a peaceful and prosperous New Year.

Steve

Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 11:22 PM UTC
Appreciate the "marvelling"..................Steve, this is my first stringbag. I'm normally a WWII kinda guy along with the helicopter. I started looking at and then researching the build process of real wood frame and linen aircraft. I "marvelled" at the simplicity and yet complexity of the process. I also became enthralled with Roden's 1/32 scale kits right here. Like you I lurked around picking up hints as well as inspiration. The Roden 1/32 SE5a ALONG with the Part of Poland PE set together was what sent me over the edge. I'm not a scratchbuilder so I need the good base to build on with some scratching. My tools are the #11 blade............and some problem solving.

As far as the emotional discussion about PC10.............I loved it. Read it, picked up what I needed and moved on. It's kinda like the Lozenge discussion............facinating!!!! But I'm not going to loose sleep over it. But it will help me make a more "informed" decision. But then I gotta be happy with it.

My intent in this build is to represent the SE5a as the "Kite" that it is, a flimsey, delicate flying machine.which is why I love the many PE parts for delicacy.

"Emotion"? I see your working on a BF-109..........talk about emotion. I sat through hours of discussion on the true colors of BF-109s at a National IPMS show a few years ago. What emotion.

"Finished soon"? I don't think so........... ..............but then I do have a flying "Crate" to finish also in the Albatros. The engine of the Albie that Roden came up with is what stirred my interest in the Albie.

Anyway..............comments are always welcome Steve. Thanks.

Regards
Steve
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 11:21 PM UTC
Hi Steve
When you build there´s not much to be commenting In my eyes it´s just awesome.
Have worked myself into a nice and warm flue for the x-mas, so I had some time to do some test on that wrinklingprojects on the side. Tryed you´r method with Acrylic and got the same result, then washed that off and tryed some sandfiller (Household stuff to repair walls) This filler is waterfriendly and its was easy to waterbrush, for the moment it drying up under the worklamp, so hopefully I can give you pics this afternoon.
Larsa
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 11:36 PM UTC
Excellent Larsa.............looking forward to that. I had done a "test" of the acrylic on a spare wing.........I didn't like it.......(I never put paint on it....mistake).....until I shot that test area with paint during my Olive Drab test shoot. I liked it a lot there. Too late though. I was able to get an fairly good representation of the directional wrinkles. Unlike the foil wrinkles which are more random in direction. Oh well....maybe for the next SE5a. (and yes there will be another...........if i can get through this one.)

I was in the process of masking for a light coat of PC10 but got held up by seeing that I need to get that tail done first...........prime-paint-tape-paint-and the mask for the PC10. I really wanted to get that done today.....we shall see.

I just need to keep focused.........when i hit a "hard patch" I tend to do research on future projects.... (procrastination)

Regards
Steve
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:35 AM UTC
The filler was easy to get on, and even easyer to brush out with a brush and water. You just sculpt the wrinkles as you want them to be. Setting this to dry for some hour or two under the worklamp. A final polish with some fine Steel whool

So from here I will get some paint on to see what the result will look like

Larsa
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 - 01:22 AM UTC
I like it Larsa but oh the Decals won't.

Regards
Steve
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 - 01:34 AM UTC
Decals
I was thinking more like masking and painting.I just wishes Roden could ask another manufacture to make the decals for them, that´s would be nice

Larsa
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 - 06:16 AM UTC
Whoa..... ...Disaster! Maybe. I dropped the darn thing while Air brushing. Fell 4 feet onto concrete. Broke the right horizontal Stab clean off. Broke the right wing/fuselage joint.

I THINK I can fix the wing/fuselage joint............I'll try on the stab. I'll put metal Pins in it and see if it holds. If not............

I'll be back later with a prognosis. Hmmmm...where's my Abbie?

Regards
Steve

Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 - 06:31 AM UTC
You can´t mix painting with beer, my friend. Don´t drink and paint
Seriously speaking you can fix this it’s just a minor setback.
When you cooled off and starting to get an damagecontrol, you´l see it can bee fixed. It always does

Larsa
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 - 06:45 AM UTC
Oooooooo doggie, some going on here. We shall have to see if the CA will hold the Wing/Fuselage joint. I think that is the worst part of this disaster..............The Stab should go back on with pins. Won't be as strong though.

:D And Larsa..............no this morning. Hmmm...maybe i SHOULD have.

Still "cooling off"
Steve
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 - 07:49 AM UTC
Damage update and prognosis.

It's really Ugly, but fixable. The crack in the wing/fuselage joint did not damage the fuselage to fuselage joint/ putty job. I think that the masking that was on the machine softened the blow. A few other small joints were loosened and CAed them as well. I sure hope nothing hidden is damaged.

The Joint has been CAed and is drying. Still gonna have to putty the wing joint.

The Horizontal Stab got pinned and CAed. Not as good as new but it should hold the Elevators without a sag.

That was a wasted morning. I have the Stab and Elevators primed and am going to tape them today and break out the airbrush tomorrow for the pre-shading. THEN I will shoot a coat of PC10. Very thin to get a feel for it.

Regards
Steve

Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 - 08:08 AM UTC
On the road again
That´s nice to hear. Good luck my friend

Larsa
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 01:45 AM UTC
Hey Steve , I think at one time or another we all have done the same thing . I'm sure you will have the repair done up easily in no time .

Cheers on the excellent work done so far
thehannaman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 194 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 04:14 AM UTC
Good to hear she's on the mend. Personally, I test fly all my builds at least once to test for structural soundness and to give other folks at the local competition a sporting chance at a medal..
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 04:36 AM UTC
Yes Terri but I hope the neighbors didn't hear me, it wasn't pretty. It was one thing to "see" the stab sitting next to the wreck but then to pick it up and feel this........."looseness" to the whole "thing". Not pretty at all.

And Justin.......... well it's a good thing that I'm making mine a little "war weary" as it now just might fly a little crooked.

I contiplated flinging it against the wall. Might have if i didn't have to "report" my actions here. So you guys and gals just might have saved a 'crooked flyer" from the dust bin.

PS.....it didn't even fly well.....it was sort of a "flat spin" with high G's on touchdown.

Taping today. Stay away from the airbrush.

Regards
Steve
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 04:44 AM UTC

Steve,

That reminds me of dropping my Hanriot during the "When I flew with" Campaign. I do all my modelling in the prone position on the floor now... ...I am one with the carpet monster....

I think i had to set mine aside for a while too. It is an indescribable sinking feeling.

I'm pullin' for ya......

Mark
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 05:57 AM UTC
Hey Mark,

Don't worry, I'm back on track. I only had the "Fling" idea momentarily.

Don't even talk to me about the Carpet Monster. Never thought about the "prone position"......now thats a very good idea. My chair sits on a carpet protector.....one would think that the PE would be findable.......well the PE I use has springs on them, they Bounce right off that chair protector into never never land. And there is no use calculating trajectories...........PE springs are randomly adjusted.

"My problem" with PE is it sticking to my sweaty hands and then carrying the darn things around with me and NOT knowing it. I don't remember a "Rule" for that one.

Anyway.........the SE5 "Seems" solid again.

Regards
Steve

thehannaman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 194 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 08:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

PS.....it didn't even fly well.....it was sort of a "flat spin" with high G's on touchdown.

I hate that. Mine all kind of do the "super stall" thing with a rough landing too. Maybe I should start putting the kit pilots in.